• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So, despite buying the Kingdom hearts 2.8 and 1.5+2.5 collections when they came out, I never bothered to take them out of the shrink wrap. I had interest in the series, and watched videos attempting to explain the story to me (all I really seem to have gotten from them is "everyone is a Xeanhort") but I never felt the desire to take the plunge into the games.

But considering the barren game release schedule and realizing I have nothing to really play for a while, I decided to take the plunge into KH.

I've done the first 3 worlds (Wonderland, Olympus, Deep Jungle) and I feel like I am playing a game that is showing its age.

Maybe modern games have spoiled me with maps, critical path indicators, etc but KH1 feels really obtuse with its progression. Olympus is the most straightforward of the worlds I have played but levels like Deep Jungle had me scratching my head regarding what to do and where to go.

Traverse town is no different since I am still unfamiliar with the layout, and had no idea what to do returning there if I didn't look up a guide to tell me where to go.

The combat feels fun though, although some engagements feel a bit to chaotic to manage properly and the wonderland boss feeling like an absolute chore to fight because of the platforming involved to hit him.

But the worst thing to me that I have seen is without a doubt this 'gummi ship' mechanic.

I had no idea this was a thing in kingdom hearts. On the surface it seems like a simple mini game of space harrier or starfox.

But then there is this ridiculous complexity due to the blueprint and building system for these ships. Aesthetically, these sequences look so garrish and ugly. So, if this was just a simple mini game I wouldn't really mind it...

but you have to do this thing everytime you want to go to a different level.

Why?

Did they want to extend the playtime needed? These sequences feel so unnecessary.

It's not a deal breaker, but these sequences feel like incredibly unnecessary padding to the game and makes changing worlds feel more like a chore than they should be.

Kytes

Oct 25, 2017
After your second visit to Traverse Town, Cid installs a gummi on your ship so you can warp to previously visited worlds instantly.

New worlds are the same, though.

Last edited:

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
I feel like KH always wanted to add mini games mechanics in their games. Let's hope you will enjoy the game and watch mini games more than the gummi !

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I dunno why exactly, but back in the day I was really into the gummi ship stuff. I made some crazy powerful creations!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I said the same (i also started playing it recently), I was told you can pretty much ignore that whole thing, which I hope pans out.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising you're finding knowing what to do next so hard, I guess that shows how far games have come in terms of hand holding.

There are definitely worlds where it's not obvious, but the worlds are so small it's never been a huge problem. One thing that is never mentioned about KH1 is that exploration is an intentional aspect of it. You're not always supposed to know exactly what to do next. But actually that didn't work well in the game so intentionally or not it is still a problem.

Gummi ships are excellent though, it's a quirky design choice you wouldn't get in any other game, and I'm glad it's always been a part of the game.

Kytes

Oct 25, 2017
To speed up the missions, you can buy a Haste Gummi from Cid and equip it on your ship so you can use Boost with the Square button during missions.

That happens after he installs the Warp Gummi on your ship.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It reminds me that the gummi ship sections in KH2 are much better than anything I've played in any Starfox games, good times.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising you're finding knowing what to do next so hard, I guess that shows how far games have come in terms of hand holding.

There are definitely worlds where it's not obvious, but the worlds are so small it's never been a huge problem. One thing that is never mentioned about KH1 is that exploration is an intentional aspect of it. You're not always supposed to know exactly what to do next. But actually that didn't work well in the game so intentionally or not it is still a problem.

Gummi ships are excellent though, it's a quirky design choice you wouldn't get in any other game, and I'm glad it's always been a part of the game.

Like I spent a good hour during my second trip to Traverse town going "where do I go? Where did I meet Leon and Yuffie again?" only to give up and look at a guide telling me I needed to go into the sewers and there is a trinity symbol to interact with the bars blocking the channel.

Like, I do not think I would have figured that out myself. And I do not remember anything in the game hinting or notifying me to go there.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Like I spent a good hour during my second trip to Traverse town going "where do I go? Where did I meet Leon and Yuffie again?" only to give up and look at a guide telling me I needed to go into the sewers and there is a trinity symbol to interact with the bars blocking the channel.

Like, I do not think I would have figured that out myself. And I do not remember anything in the game hinting or notifying me to go there.

Don't you get that ability right after Deep Jungle? The natural thing to do is to see where you can use it in previous levels.

And the Gummi construction is just a side activity. It's like virtual Legos, but with wonderful music.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the open level design of the first game is great

the sequel was a huge step backwards in that regard

the gummy ship stuff was much more fun in 2 though

Last edited:

Kytes

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a mechanic in all the KH games? Because KH1's isn't leaving a good impression on me.

Do they at least look better and not some weird mangle of colors and shapes?

Not ALL games, just KH1 and KH2.

Gummi missions in KH2 are SO MUCH BETTER. They feel like an actual shotter, not just an autoscroller.

Gummi missions still suck tho

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
OP don't waste time trying to build gummis, it's not really worth your time. Also, the gummi ship stuff is widely agreed to be the worst parts of KH1 and KH2 (although it's much much better in 2). And yes, I agree that the level design can be quite obtuse in the first game.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
Is this a mechanic in all the KH games? Because KH1's isn't leaving a good impression on me.

There is no Gummi Ship after KH1. I'm in the same situation as you where I got the collection and want to go back to KH1 & 2 and get through the other games for the first time. Totally forgot about the Gummi Ship though. Those were some real bummer moments for that game.

Edit: Sorry, I should've been clear that there is no Gummi Ship sections like in KH1 but I there is a ship in KH2.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
You can basically ignore all of the gummi stuff easy.

And the gummi stuff is much much better in KH2. Actually fun missions.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017

It's on a mechanic in the main numbered entries so just KH1 and 2. It's vastly improved in KH2 and plays like some really well made Star Fox levels.

We have not seen how it'll work in KH3 as of yet but we have seen cut scenes with characters in the ship.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you get that ability right after Deep Jungle? The natural thing to do is to see where you can use it in previous levels.

And the Gummi construction is just a side activity. It's like virtual Legos, but with wonderful music.

I am currently at Traverse town for my second trip there.

Maybe I will get the ability once I finish here.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Something that sure as shit needs to be removed/completely optional in KH3. I can't stand the Gummi ship stuff. It makes me dread going to new worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
c'mon people, gummi ship stuff in 2 was really fun

going for high scores, killing the unique enemies for unique gummy rewards

i spent tens of hours on it

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 1 has aged horribly. The worlds are nothing more than small box rooms chained together.

I played the game for the first time back in 2008, and even back then, a decade ago, I thought it was dated and played poorly. And that was 10 years ago, I can't imagine playing it now in 2018

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 1 has aged horribly. The worlds are nothing more than small box rooms chained together.

I played the game for the first time back in 2008, and even back then, a decade ago, I thought it was dated and played poorly. And that was 10 years ago, I can't imagine playing it now in 2018

It hasn't aged well no but it was still fun.

KH2 on the other hand has aged great.

Kytes

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Gummi Missions are bad...

Wait until the Hook Ship Gummi Mission. It has a random chance of appearing or not appearing for you to land.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's times like this you realize the Kingdom Heart series was never that good without nostalgia or love for Disney characters.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Dang, even on my fourth playthrough of KH1, I had no idea you could boost with Haste Gummi parts. I sort of always skipped the customisation stuff (only equipping armour/power boosts, etc).

I swear I need a walkthrough every time I replay this game, it has aged really horribly, especially when revisiting Traverse Town and having no idea where to go or who to talk to.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Why cant I figure out how to the build feature works? It just does not brain my work do well to.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a bad game. It's like Square Enix tried to make poor versions of Mario 64/Ocarina of Time/Star Fox in one game.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

You're right about the game not telling you where to go being a problem. That doesn't happen in any of the others, that's a KH1 only problem. Also it's probably the worst in Deep Jungle so the remaining world's should be slightly better in that regard.

As for hints your second trip to Traverse Town, if I recall correctly Yuffie is standing in the entrance area and tells you Leon is off training in the sewer area or something like that. Not the most informative of hints but at least gives you an idea of what to look for.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gummi ship stuff is just spectacularly dated, shit game design. Everything else is golden.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
When it first came out I gave up playing it after the awful Wonderland and then the confusing Deep Jungle, so it's not about time passing since then. I went back to it several months later and finished it, and it's mostly good, but KH1 just leads with two really shitty levels and an arena battle you can't do much with yet.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
I've on the last World on my Proud playthrough OP. Haven't played it since the original came out, but it more than holds up. It's an excellent game.

But I had the same thoughts. The Gummi stuff is rubbish. Especially when you go out of your way to get a chest, only to find it is a Gummy piece. Super annoying.

Help Request:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's dumb, but there was something really satisfying about building a gummi dreadnaught. I had some pretty ludicrous builds that basically didn't need to be steered anymore because they would just plow through everything in their path.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH I has indeed shown its age. Camera, combat balancing, slow Sora, etc.

You will be delighted with KH II though, and will surprisingly see that the Gummi Ship is one of its best features.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
The first worlds are in my opinion the worst of the bunch. Especially Deep Jungle, that world had you constantly going back and forth and having to deal with the vine mechanics made it a giant hassle. The later worlds (minus Monstro I guess) all are a lot easier to traverse.

The second game may not have as much ververticality as the fist game but it does it you a MIUCH better job of telling you where you need to go. It's nearly impossible to get lost in the later games.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I basically felt the same as you did about KH1 OP. I tried it last year and found insanely bad. Like, even the moment to moment gameplay sucked ass and literally nothing about this game stood out to me as being good and i ended up dropping it like 7 hours in. Really surprised me too, considering all the praise I'd heard about the series. I still kinda wanna go back and finish it since I have the whole collection and I hear the sequel plays much better.