• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Speaking of secret bosses, load up one of the three complete saves (doesn't matter which character) and revisit the Land of Departure. That's where you'll find the traditional FM secret boss that turns out to be a character from a future game just like Xemnas in KH1 and Terra in KH2.

Ok, got through the double secret ending stuff. Loaded up Ventus, nothing happened. Trying with Aqua now, and nobody showing up there for a fight either...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you need to beat the Vanitias clone thing that one hit kills you to unlock that fight. Might be too much of a pain to bother.

EDIT: Yeah, OP would need to beat Vanitias's Lingering Spirit in the Badlands of Keyblade Graveyard to unlock Mysterious Figure. There are a lot of cool secret bosses in BBS (including Master Eraqus's Armour, No Heart, Monstro, etc), but they're a bit grindy to get to.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I completely forgot beating VLS was a requirement to make MF appear. Though VLS himself is so forgettable that I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I forgot. IIRC VLS can be killed from full health by a single rhythm mixer finish command.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hey OP, what are your thoughts on BBS?

Some hate it, many say it's one of the best in the series.

What say you?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I loved it! I don't get why fans of the series wouldn't

There are some reasonable complaints about combat mechanics. Nevermind normal attacks being close to useless with how op commands can be, the superbosses are badly desinged bullshit (imo, at least).

Story-wise I think it's fine or even good, if you can ignore the characters being written extra dumb so stuff can happen.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I think it's because while actual mechanics are interesting and a welcome change to previous games, the game balance is completely whack and Mysterious Figure in particular demands that you unlearn everything the game taught you instead of being a culminating challenge the way Lingering Will was. Glad you loved BBS OP. It's my favourite after KH2FM.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I think it's because while actual mechanics are interesting and a welcome change to previous games, the game balance is completely whack and Mysterious Figure in particular demands that you unlearn everything the game taught you instead of being a culminating challenge the way Lingering Will was. Glad you loved BBS OP. It's my favourite after KH2FM.

for me the story factor weighs in heavily why I liked it. Game was lore bomb after lore bomb. Plus Leonard Nimoy just slays as Xehanort. Younger King Mickey is cool. And Yen Sid playing a more key role was cool as well

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
DDD has the craziest world selection. Is not even a competition.

They digged deep on Disney stuff for some of those

OP starts Dream Drop Distance
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
EPACvJZWsAACYqN

EPACvYGXUAE0Ts5

EPACvmDW4AAX_JB

EPACvzoWAAI3ymZ

That intro/recap at the beginning was freaking AWESOME! Here we go!

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
It's an amazing recap and one of the best intros for sure!!

What did you think about Re: Coded?

Glad that posters told me to just watch the beginning and end. Although given the heavy emphasis on data, I have a feeling it'll play a role later on.

Hey SparkleMotion, just DDD to get through on easy, then a movie and the 2.8 final prologue thingy, before I can play KHIII! TBH this has been way less taxing than going straight through Yakuza 0-6. I could navigate Kamurocho blindfolded at this point.

Although CoM, 358/2 Days and Re: Coded were somewhat repetitive they each had lore enough to at least make watching worthwhile. Overall there's just more variety here, and that's not a knock, just saying its not as hard as people made it seem to get through a play through, though I DID technically skip CoM.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm going to take this chance to shamelessly recommend OP "The World Ends with you"

116172-the-world-ends-with-you-nintendo-ds-front-cover.jpg

The characters that guest appear early into DDD are from that game. It's an incredible story driven action RPG game for the DS made by the COM team. And one of my favorite games of all time, if you loved KH you gotta try it.

There are remasters for mobile and Switch but they lose the frenetic dual screen action of the OG DS version. Still the story is amazing no matter the version.

And the theme song is fire

So good in fact that DDD even uses a god tier "Kingdom Mix" whenever main character Neku is on screen.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Cool, I will check out TWEWY at some point. My cousin keeps recommending it to me, same one who recommended KH.

DDD has a lot of systems so far....but also damn I love the Yen Sid infodumps

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm going to take this chance to shamelessly recommend OP "The World Ends with you"

I just grabbed a physical switch copy for $21 including ta that I can pick up at lunch tomorrow,, so...more fodder for the backlog.

Ok, traverse town completed with Sora and Riku. Glad you told me where these characters they're interacting came from, or I'd have no idea. Anyway, so far so good, I'm not expecting any snags with this play through, I've just been taking it slow tonight, exploring a bit. Pretty exhausted. Tomorrow night I expect to make a huge dent in the game.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
One tip, stock up on "Drop Me Not" from the item store.

They reset your drop timer, making it easier to complete a world with a single character in one go.

Dropping during a boss fight ain't fun.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Man the DDD hype was real back when I was in high school. I remember watching some terrible off screen livestreams of it when it released in Japan on the school's shite desktops. I spent so long playing it on the 3DS but now I forget that version even exists lol

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Honestly, I don't think that fits BBS. It does fit DDD though because BBS does explain a lot of the things that we were wondering about.
Understandable, but for me it was the one that solidified that dumb plot twists are now part of the franchise's identity and there's nothing we can do about it now.

Like, this is the one that it became normal, cause it seems that after BBS critics stopped actually criticising the story and just started saying "well that's KH for ya"

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Man the DDD hype was real back when I was in high school. I remember watching some terrible off screen livestreams of it when it released in Japan on the school's shite desktops. I spent so long playing it on the 3DS but now I forget that version even exists lol

I saw that trailer aboit five times daily since its release up to the game's release.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I saw that trailer aboit five times daily since its release up to the game's release.
I'm not gonna lie, when the art was first shown off of Sora and Riku standing on the building in twilight town with their new clothes I printed it out and pinned it in my room lmao. That mark of mastery edition was day 1.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hijacking the thread momentarily

I just beat Chain of Memories with Sora. I understand there's a Riku mode, but I'm feeling pretty burnt on this game's structure. Is it important to go through that for the story?

If not, where to next?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH DDD is a wild ride, and has some of the best moments in the series towards the end. That CGI intro is wonderful too. Enjoy OP.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Wow, lots of replies to wake up to! Well, I'm at work now, but like I said I hope to make a ton of DDD progress tonight. I doubt I'll have much issue with anything on easy, but good call to stock up on the drop me nots anyway just for convenience

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hijacking the thread momentarily

I just beat Chain of Memories with Sora. I understand there's a Riku mode, but I'm feeling pretty burnt on this game's structure. Is it important to go through that for the story?

If not, where to next?

The story is pretty important, it's the start of Riku's redemption.

I'd play it in beginner or youtube it

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Do we know if OP will have access to the awesome 1.09 KH III abilities without having a clear save file?

I'm hearing conflicting reports that you need to beat the game once to hace them in subsequent playthroughs while others say you unlock them normally.

Hopefully he gets them, 1.09 3RM fixed most of the mechanical issues and got to 2FM tier again.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
EPACvJZWsAACYqN

EPACvYGXUAE0Ts5

EPACvmDW4AAX_JB

EPACvzoWAAI3ymZ

That intro/recap at the beginning was freaking AWESOME! Here we go!

This is the first Kingdom Hearts game I played. The summaries for all of the previous games that you received helped with bridging the gap of the previous games in enough of a bite-sized manner for me to understand everything that was going on in the plot.

Hunchback of Notre Dame is really butchered in this game. Kind of wish it was the tutorial world in Kingdom Hearts III instead of Olympus.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Hey NattyBo, as well as everyone else, just wondering what's been your favorite rendition of Dearly Beloved so far? I love when DDD goes into waltz-like section at 1:25. I think BBS might be my favorite, though. It just reminds me of the end of the Blank Points scene. 1:14 is so good.

Also, I hope you like DDD. It has one of my favorite worlds in the series.