• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So, I caved last night. People have been recommending the series to me on and off for years. I've never been the biggest Disney fan, but, I was also a kid when the best Disney stuff came out, so I'm still interested. In any case, I couldn't resist $99 worth of games for $33.

I've got almost the entire upcoming week off except tomorrow, so, starting this morning, right now, I'm going to try and play my way straight through the Kingdom Hearts series. A couple of posters in the PSN deal thread including SparkleMotion suggested I make a thread with impressions as I play through, so that posters could gauge my sanity as several people were concerned that this would break my brain. Now, I did play straight through Yakuza 0-6 over the last year with only a brief pause to visit Racoon City, so I think I have the mental fortitude to do this, but we shall see. In any case, if you're interested, follow along, or, if you also are a newbie who got the all in one on sale, check in here for mutual support.

Here. We. Go.

EMW0dgYX0AE6NdO

EMZXgKcXYAAZZWt

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck. Keep in mind when KH1 came out while you're playing it. It hasn;t aged the greatest, bu there's a lot of heart there.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Glad to see you're giving the series a go. The franchise is very character-driven so expect to have some of the cast be your personal favourites.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ok, I picked the shield and gave up the power of the mystic. And yes I'm not going to judge KH1 totally by 2019 standards, there's leeway.

Edit: Chose the shield independently of the post above, feeling good lol!

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just know that Kingdom Hearts 1 can be kind of a struggle. You'll be battling the camera as much as you're battling the heartless. Gameplay gets much better after 1.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ok, I picked the shield and gave up the power of the mystic. And yes I'm not going to judge KH1 totally by 2019 standards, there's leeway.

Edit: Chose the shield independently of the post above, feeling good lol!

Totally the way to go. By picking the Shield, you get some crucial defensive skills earlier. I always go +Shield -Staff in every Kingdom Hearts game.

Also, kudos on the thread. Should be a fun ride.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dropping staff in KH1 makes the game way harder IMO. Magic is incredibly powerful, and unlike with strength and defense you can;t make up for that lack of MP with stat boosting items.

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to play at least KH 2 and 3 on the highest difficulty.

I'd also argue that 1 is best on Final Mix Proud, but not everyone agrees.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I've been doing the same thing but also trophy hunting. I'm at Kingdom Hearts II right now and it's a miracle I survived the previous two games. Re:Chain of Memories trophies nearly drove me insane.

But we can do this! Our hearts are connected and our friendship is strong and we have light on our side!

Let's have ice cream and go to the beach after all this is done.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played all of them back to back a while ago and really enjoyed the bonkers journey.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but don't follow the menu's ordering of watching 358/2 before playing 2. You're meant to watch 358/2 AFTER playing through 2. That is, if you want to follow release order. It'll spoil a lot otherwise. No idea why they ordered it that way.

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
Have fun! I always love hearing new impressions of the series so keep us updated 😀😀

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
Got the Plat for 1 on PS4, feel confident in saying it's still a good game, even if certain aspects of it haven't aged well.

I didn't jump onto the KH train until PS3 myself...

Deleted member 49770

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Good luck on your journey! I hope you get something positive out of this bizarre, wonderful series. It gets pretty jank later on, but it also gets rather experimental with its systems.

A couple years ago, I went from having fondly remembered the ps2 games from my childhood, to taking this very journey myself and now I obsess over lore videos on YouTube and theorycraft to an embarrassing degree.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Play it on the hardest setting otherwise the game is way too easy. Also be prepared to still not understand a god damn thing about anything once you finish KH3. I played all of the KH games and I am still lost on the plot. So just don't worry about the plot, the gameplay is fun.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Play it on the hardest setting otherwise the game is way too easy. Also be prepared to still not understand a god damn thing about anything once you finish KH3. I played all of the KH games and I am still lost on the plot. So just don't worry about the plot, the gameplay is fun.

I'm sure the Re:Mind DLC will clear things up and have everything make se-Bwahahahahaha no.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I only played the first one back in the PS2 and didn't get that far on the story. Maybe I'll purchase the bundle since it's a great deal!!

I'd love the option to have the original japanese dub (yep, I really love the dual language option)

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Can someone tell me ahead of time if anyone from the 1970s Disney Robin Hood (the one with the animals as the characters, Robin Hood the fox etc) appear in any of these games because I WILL lose my shit

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Enjoy! KH1 is pretty clunky but it's still a great game. Please don't try and play through all the series, though. That's can be like 200 hours and playing it all at once is not recommended especially when BBSs and DDDs gameplay kinda sucks., and that's as someone who's favorite franchise is KH.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
The first game is still my favourite, I don't think it aged poorly at all aside one or two things like the camera. Can't handle the slander

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just bear in mind you're gonna want a break at some point. Personally I took a break at the second game of the second disk, cause there is a LOT to get through. Planning to carry on shortly and get up to 3 then wait for the dlc. I've been really enjoying it personally

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the two collections when they were both on sale (this was before the package with everything) and I beat KH1 on normal just fine. It's Re:CoM where you want to pick the easiest difficulty. The game is garbage and you'll want to get through it quick. I made the mistake of picking normal and it ended my attempt of a series playthrough for over a year. A couple of days ago, I booted the game up again and finally beat a boss I was having a hard time with, but playing a bit after that, I just put the game down again because I have no motivation to play the game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Coming in with a suggestion, I don't think anyone else in the thread has mentioned: if you have access to a DS/emulation, 358/2 days is super worth playing. The movie version on the PS4 collection is totally fine and acceptable, but cuts out a lot of the game, which has imo one of the better stories within the Kingdom Hearts series. Plus, the RPG system is genuinely cool, I think it's a much more breezy playthrough than KH1 and CoM.

This only matters if you have that kind of access, you'll be totally fine with the movie, I don't want to give the impression you're a fake fan if you don't play it or anything, the movie is totally fine and does its job making sure you're following along and care about all the characters. Just letting you know that if you are lucky enough to have the access and time, I think it's worth playing the full game.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
If you don't like Chain of Memories, Youtube the cutscenes. The story is pretty cool in that game and it has some of the best antagonists in the entire series, but the card based gameplay doesn't sit well with everyone. If you don't like playing it, don't feel bad about skipping it.

It is one of the few games where Riku is a fully playable character with his own story, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, KH1 CAN BE HARD to get into.

In my opinion, its aged quite badly. Combat is really clunky, can be really hard at times, and sometimes you'll be confused on what the fuck you are supposed to be doing.

Like a cutscene will end, and you'll have no idea where to go or what you should be doing.

BUT, just fucking power on man. Chain of memories is better, but not much. Just remember, you're trying to get to KH2. THAT is where the magic really is. Everything gets a dramatic upgrade.

And like someone said, play KH2 then 358. The order on that screen is stupid and should have been changed.

And as someone who has played through all the games multiple times, its true what they say, the story does get wild. Not in KH1. But you'll start to see it in chain of memories and then KH2 is really goes off the wall.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Coming in with a suggestion, I don't think anyone else in the thread has mentioned: if you have access to a DS/emulation, 358/2 days is super worth playing. The movie version on the PS4 collection is totally fine and acceptable, but cuts out a lot of the game, which has imo one of the better stories within the Kingdom Hearts series. Plus, the RPG system is genuinely cool, I think it's a much more breezy playthrough than KH1 and CoM.

This only matters if you have that kind of access, you'll be totally fine with the movie, I don't want to give the impression you're a fake fan if you don't play it or anything, the movie is totally fine and does its job making sure you're following along and care about all the characters. Just letting you know that if you are lucky enough to have the access and time, I think it's worth playing the full game.
There is a youtube series that actually takes the movie and combines it with gameplay and scenes from the DS games. Its long but gives a ton of context to the movie so if someone doesn't want to play it but wants all the info its a good choice.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say skip Re:Chain of Memories, honestly, and just read the manga or watch the cutscenes on YouTube. I have no idea why they went through the trouble of remaking the game and sticking with the dumb card-based battle system. It's a slog to get through.

As for 358/2 and KH2, the order is entirely interchangeable. It just depends on whether you want a little bit of mysterious at the start of KH2 or not.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say skip Re:Chain of Memories, honestly, and just read the manga or watch the cutscenes on YouTube. I have no idea why they went through the trouble of remaking the game and sticking with the dumb card-based battle system. It's a slog to get through.

As for 358/2 and KH2, the order is entirely interchangeable. It just depends on whether you want a little bit of mysterious at the start of KH2 or not.
CoM is way better than some of the games in the series. Though the remake is worse than the GBA original.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck. Keep in mind when KH1 came out while you're playing it. It hasn;t aged the greatest, bu there's a lot of heart there.
I just finished playing through KH1 for the first time earlier last week the main aspect that felt dated to me was the camera. Had a lot of fun with it.