• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh good, I'm not the only one doing this. Trying to play catch up on the series myself and set things to easy on this one. Glad I did. Something just feels off with this particular title.

Finished Terra. Working through Ven now.

Idk. I actually prefer the gameplay here to KH 1. The command system is great and it's going to get used a lot in the future.

That said....each character plays differently. High level Aqua is the dream.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ok, Agrabah is sorted out. Gonna have to head back to the 100 Acre Wood since I think I have all the pages now..

Also I LOVED the little line Sora gave to Iago about friendship (basically friends don't have to DO things for each other, just have fun with each other). This relentless positivity is something I need in my life so bad.

Also, Sora, Donald, Goofy mention #20905390: drink.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Sora, Donald, Goofy mention #20905390: drink.
giphy.gif

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kid's school closed early because we're supposed to get snow this afternoon. Therefore I got to use leave at work. Therefore, I am playing KH2FM!

Back on Agrabah for a second go 'round now that I've unlocked those worlds again. Right at level 39. So far the most annoying boss for me was the last one in Port Royal, which you could only damage to get the coins out with magic, etc. Too gimmicky a fight for me. But still loving the ride overall
Honestly that's my favorite non Organization mandatory boss in the game. Port Royal in general is fantastic and the way magic interacts with the enemies (and that boss) is a large reason why IMO. Though if you really dislike that aspect, you can just set Donald's AI to stun lock him and essential;y skip the coin collecting phases.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Honestly that's my favorite non Organization mandatory boss in the game. Port Royal in general is fantastic and the way magic interacts with the enemies (and that boss) is a large reason why IMO. Though if you really dislike that aspect, you can just set Donald's AI to stun lock him and essential;y skip the coin collecting phases.

Didn't even think of changing the AI. D'oh.

100 Acre Wood AND HalloweenTown/ChristmasTown (2nd part) done!

I love Jack Skellington so freaking much.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ooooh, that second boss fight in the pride lands was fun. This game reminds me of the PS2 God of War games, in a good way (boss fight/set piece wise)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished BBS, I'm glad I played Terra on easy just to learn the game and get through his part as quick as possible, as I had no real interest in the Secret Hidden episode/movie - I just Youtube'd it. I ended up playing Aqua on Standard difficulty which was a tiny bit of a challenge at the beginning but by the end she utterly destroyed, especially the bosses. Overall, I enjoyed the game but going through the same worlds 3 times felt redundant and nothing was gained from playing Aqua's episode other than the Final Episode unlock stuff.

I've started DDD and I really dig the movement and some of the evolution of BBS systems, but the creature training can be annoying. The game literally tells you nothing about creature disposition, how it changes with different kinds of poke/petting and how it affects what skills you can unlock. I don't like the fact that giving treats can also change disposition if you already settled on one for the potential unlocks. Oh the bosses designs/encounters seem pretty subpar like BBS, I am missing the highs of KH2:FM.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh, that second boss fight in the pride lands was fun. This game reminds me of the PS2 God of War games, in a good way (boss fight/set piece wise)
Yeah, KH2 has some great spectacle fights (though KH1 was no slouch either with the likes of Chernabog). KH3 also has some great ones too.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to go through all the games. I own KH 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 + KH3 , but I am so apprehensive towards starting CoM. I loved KH1, but the card aspect of CoM sounds like its going to bore me to tears. I am refusing to move on to KH2 until I go through CoM. You see my struggle here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Idk. I actually prefer the gameplay here to KH 1. The command system is great and it's going to get used a lot in the future.

That said....each character plays differently. High level Aqua is the dream.

I like the command system better than KH1, but not as much as the refinements made in KH2. I got through Ven and overall I enjoyed playing as him better, but the game still has bad issues of breaking out of combos and ignoring my own. Started Aqua this past weekend and am still looking forward to seeing how she handles! With that said.......

I finally finished BBS, I'm glad I played Terra on easy just to learn the game and get through his part as quick as possible, as I had no real interest in the Secret Hidden episode/movie - I just Youtube'd it. I ended up playing Aqua on Standard difficulty which was a tiny bit of a challenge at the beginning but by the end she utterly destroyed, especially the bosses. Overall, I enjoyed the game but going through the same worlds 3 times felt redundant and nothing was gained from playing Aqua's episode other than the Final Episode unlock stuff.

I've started DDD and I really dig the movement and some of the evolution of BBS systems, but the creature training can be annoying. The game literally tells you nothing about creature disposition, how it changes with different kinds of poke/petting and how it affects what skills you can unlock. I don't like the fact that giving treats can also change disposition if you already settled on one for the potential unlocks. Oh the bosses designs/encounters seem pretty subpar like BBS, I am missing the highs of KH2:FM.

Yeah, a 3rd time through all these worlds is starting to get to me. I am looking forward to DDD since I heard it does the fighting of BBS and the storytelling of BBS better, but am not looking forward to dealing with the monster collection or whatever is a part of it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I've been wanting to go through all the games. I own KH 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 + KH3 , but I am so apprehensive towards starting CoM. I loved KH1, but the card aspect of CoM sounds like its going to bore me to tears. I am refusing to move on to KH2 until I go through CoM. You see my struggle here.

In my opinion CoM is indeed boring as hell. Just read or watch a summary. Certainly don't let it keep you from KH2.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright, all of the absent silhouettes have been defeated by Sora, Donald, and Goofy™!

Time to get on with the main plot again finally, haha.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Based on this thread I would like to give it a try, never played any games of the series before. Do you recommend the PS4 bundle: The Story So Far? Any advice to play them in a certain order?
Thanks!

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Based on this thread I would like to give it a try, never played any games of the series before. Do you recommend the PS4 bundle: The Story So Far? Any advice to play them in a certain order?
Thanks!

I'm not sure how much the story so far costs, vs how much the All in 1 package is? When I got the all in one it was during the holiday sale, so maybe others can better advise. The only difference between the all in one and the story so far is Kingdom Hearts 3 inclusion.

In terms of play order from what people have posted here it's:

Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix ---> Kingdom Hearts: re Chain of Memories ----> Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix ----> KH 358/2 Days...not sure what comes after that cause I'm a newbie too, and I'm only at KH2FM :D. All of these are included in the All in 1 or Story so Far bundles.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright, all of the absent silhouettes have been defeated by Sora, Donald, and Goofy™!

Time to get on with the main plot again finally, haha.

So, ah, about that, I'm getting my ass absolutely rocked by a world that only unlocked after second visit to Twilight Town, I wont name the area or boss for spoilers. Holy shit though, any advice? I'm probably under-leveled at level 49 and the suggested is 50, but I can barely cast Reflega before this boss just destroys me with combos...

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much the story so far costs, vs how much the All in 1 package is? When I got the all in one it was during the holiday sale, so maybe others can better advise. The only difference between the all in one and the story so far is Kingdom Hearts 3 inclusion.

In terms of play order from what people have posted here it's:

Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix ---> Kingdom Hearts: re Chain of Memories ----> Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix ----> KH 358/2 Days...not sure what comes after that cause I'm a newbie too, and I'm only at KH2FM :D. All of these are included in the All in 1 or Story so Far bundles.
After 358 comes Birth By Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and then Kingdom Hearts 3

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So, ah, about that, I'm getting my ass absolutely rocked by a world that only unlocked after second visit to Twilight Town, I wont name the area or boss for spoilers. Holy shit though, any advice? I'm probably under-leveled at level 49 and the suggested is 50, but I can barely cast Reflega before this boss just destroys me with combos...
Aha, this was the part I mentioned earlier was probably going to be a roadblock on critical (it stumps everyone at first - it's a boss exclusive to the final mix version and is awesome, but a big outlier in terms of difficulty).
Holy fuck, finally beat that boss fight. Epic music, great stuff.
Great! Yeah, it's such a cool moment.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Aha, this was the part I mentioned earlier was probably going to be a roadblock on critical (it stumps everyone at first - it's a boss exclusive to the final mix version and is awesome, but a big outlier in terms of difficulty).

Great! Yeah, it's such a cool moment.

Yeah I stopped and ate dinner, became more patient, just learned the pattern and then I started making the most of my attacks, especially after you hit the right menu reaction thing. Awesome Keyblade reward after the fight, and story stuff too....

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Thanks!
Get the All-in-One Package for $34. It's on sale until 17 Jan. It includes:

• KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX
• KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
• KINGDOM HEARTS III

... so, everything minus KH3: ReMind (not out yet).

I just checked the NA PSN store, and they aren't even selling the Story So Far bundle anymore, although they're still selling the individual bundles (1.5+2.5 and 2.8) for $25 and $30 respectively.

There no reason not to get the All-in-One Package if you're interested in the games.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, finally beat that boss fight. Epic music, great stuff.
Fun fact, that boss was just a cutscene in the original.

Also just so you know you actually unlocked the final drive form after that fight. It will trigger randomly, but after that it becomes a regular option to select. That keyblade you got gives you a higher chance of triggering it.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Fun fact, that boss was just a cutscene in the original.

Also just so you know you actually unlocked the final drive form after that fight. It will trigger randomly, but after that it becomes a regular option to select. That keyblade you got gives you a higher chance of triggering it.

Wow, that seems like an insane boss fight to not have been in the original version given the story implications.

Also lmao at Donald saying what I'm thinking, why does King Mickey always gotta run ahead?!

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I stopped and ate dinner, became more patient, just learned the pattern and then I started making the most of my attacks, especially after you hit the right menu reaction thing. Awesome Keyblade reward after the fight, and story stuff too....
This will help you a lot with the post-game bosses in this game if you ever intend to play them. And thanks for all the updates! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game so much.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
This will help you a lot with the post-game bosses in this game if you ever intend to play them. And thanks for all the updates! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game so much.

Ah I'm just grateful people like the series enough to follow along my dumb adventures.

Here's another quick photo dump from my screenshots that I thought looked nice

ENzXMA4WkAUgOxt

ENzXMOWX0AAbdzn

ENzXM3NWAAUMR9p

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Get the All-in-One Package for $34. It's on sale until 17 Jan. It includes:

• KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX
• KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
• KINGDOM HEARTS III

... so, everything minus KH3: ReMind (not out yet).

I just checked the NA PSN store, and they aren't even selling the Story So Far bundle anymore, although they're still selling the individual bundles (1.5+2.5 and 2.8) for $25 and $30 respectively.

There no reason not to get the All-in-One Package if you're interested in the games.
Thanks for the heads up, downloading it now!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You're in for a hell of a ride if my experience is something to go by. I hope you love Disney and Final Fantasy!! Please post here and let us know what you think.

As for me, I think I'm very close to the end of KH2FM....major story bombs dropping left and right.

KH2 is where the story finally reaches the insanity it's known for.

How you liking it? Cause this ride is just starting lol

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
KH2 is where the story finally reaches the insanity it's known for.

How you liking it? Cause this ride is just starting lol

giphy.gif

I mean, the thing is, everyone WARNED me it's batshit crazy, so it's been really easy to roll with the punches. I know I'm a broken record at this point because I keep repeating myself, but, 2019 was an EXTREMELY tough year on the personal front - a couple of people close to me passed, as well as a beloved pet. So, to have a story focused on lasting friendship and what friendship means, a wholesome story that my kid can walk in on me playing and chill and watch with no problems, is very welcome to me.

It was an awesome way to spend my holiday break and I anticipate this carrying me over until FF7R and Nioh 2. If it seems like I'm in a rush with these games it's only because I want to give them due attention before those 2 games drop.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
giphy.gif

I mean, the thing is, everyone WARNED me it's batshit crazy, so it's been really easy to roll with the punches. I know I'm a broken record at this point because I keep repeating myself, but, 2019 was an EXTREMELY tough year on the personal front - a couple of people close to me passed, as well as a beloved pet. So, to have a story focused on lasting friendship and what friendship means, a wholesome story that my kid can walk in on me playing and chill and watch with no problems, is very welcome to me.

It was an awesome way to spend my holiday break and I anticipate this carrying me over until FF7R and Nioh 2. If it seems like I'm in a rush with these games it's only because I want to give them due attention before those 2 games drop.

I'm happy you feel this way.

And I agree with you, even at it's craziest, KH always manages to make you feel warm and giddy.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
You're in for a hell of a ride if my experience is something to go by. I hope you love Disney and Final Fantasy!! Please post here and let us know what you think.

As for me, I think I'm very close to the end of KH2FM....major story bombs dropping left and right.
I will, thanks for the tips!

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just in case you are not planning to do the post game stuff, do this before you put away the game:
Equip the keyblade from that first boss fight in the end world and use drive forms. It might seem like a waste at first, but keep at it.
If possible, transition into one of those walking around areas where you can talk to donald and goofy mid-drive. Should give you back your drive charges and let you try over and over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Credits rolling on KH2FM....

Damn, that was an amazing game. I need some time to gather myself before I can properly react to it, but suffice it for now to say that I loved it.

Also my goodness, Passion/My Sanctuary is such a good song!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, that was an amazing game. I need some time to gather myself before I can properly react to it, but suffice it for now to say that I loved it.

Did you recognize any of Xemnas's attacks? He was the secret boss in Hollow Bastion back in KH1.

Before moving on to the next ggame load up your completed save file and return to the hall of the cornerstone in Disney Castle for a surprise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Did you recognize any of Xemnas's attacks? He was the secret boss in Hollow Bastion back in KH1.

Before moving on to the next ggame load up your completed save file and return to the hall of the cornerstone in Disney Castle for a surprise.
The Cavern of Remembrance is also awesome, but you'll need to have maxed Drive Forms to complete it (that said, you can grind those super quickly in specific spots). Check out Sephiroth too :P!

There's also Yuna, Rikku and Paine in Hollow Bastion if you missed them.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

niiiice! Glad you liked it. KH2 is such a gem. Hope you dive back in when you get a chance and try some of the crazy post game. Some incredibly satisfying boss fights.

Dec 25, 2018
KH2FM is easily the highest pedestal for KH. What a masterpiece. Post game is even more fun, it's the one post game you should really do.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Awesome!

While you just completed the best game in the series, there's still lots of fun stuff to go through.

And While not as good as 2FM BbS, DDD and III are lots of fun too.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Congrats! KH2FM still remains my favorite KH experience and is one that I can easily play over and over again.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that the combat in KH3 is just as good as, if not even better than KH2FM. Though I still think 2 is the overall better package. Hopefully the DLC puts it on par with 2.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'd argue that the combat in KH3 is just as good as, if not even better than KH2FM. Though I still think 2 is the overall better package. Hopefully the DLC puts it on par with 2.

Combat in III has the system where you need to complete combos before getting your keyblade's drive form lite to pop up.

It's fun AF but regular drive forms accesible in the menu are cooler.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Combat in III has the system where you need to complete combos before getting your keyblade's drive form lite to pop up.

It's fun AF but regular drive forms accesible in the menu are cooler.
KH3 lets you have three forms active at once and allows you to swap between them mid combo. The crazy stuff you can do is practically out of a DMC game,

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever put critical mode into KH3 or is that coming with this DLC?

edit - also this thread has inspired me to start a playthrough. obviously I know 2 should be played on critical, but what's the ideal difficulty for the other games? Planning on playing 1, CoM, 2, BBS, DDD and 3

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Did they ever put critical mode into KH3 or is that coming with this DLC?

edit - also this thread has inspired me to start a playthrough. obviously I know 2 should be played on critical, but what's the ideal difficulty for the other games? Planning on playing 1, CoM, 2, BBS, DDD and 3

Critical is already in KH3

The DLC adds a "create your own difficulty" menu where you can add challenge rules like no items, stronger enemies or 1Hit KO