• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I Stan kingdom hearts writing because while it's batshit insane it has fantastic characters and themes going on. Honestly I consider it more emotional writing than literal, where the lines worth so much more to an emotional core rather then making sense in a literal context.

I'm also insane

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A tip for Sephiroth (and every other remaining boss), unequip the dodge slash ability. It's a garbage ability normally, and the optional bosses can recover from stagger while Sora is dancing around.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Still have not managed to take down Sephiroth, but I think it happens today. Only have the final form and summon forms left to max out before I do the cavern as well

You don't have to worry about maxing out summons to get through the Cavern of Remembrance.

However maxing your summon level will get you access to the final cup in Olympus Coliseum if you're interested in that. Plus summons can make some of the data battles trivial.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I Stan kingdom hearts writing because while it's batshit insane it has fantastic characters and themes going on. Honestly I consider it more emotional writing than literal, where the lines worth so much more to an emotional core rather then making sense in a literal context.

I'm also insane
Sure, but I think it only REALLY works in KHI, CoM and the not boring parts of 358/2.

Dec 25, 2018
@ me when you've decided to quit the series. As a kid I could see how some people would be into it. As Final Fantasy geeks I could see how some found it appealing, and as Disney fans. However, as an adult, as good as the art and production is, I can't really understand what the continued pull of the franchise is, because it isn't the story that it spends so much time indulging in. It's a poorly written storyline.

KH2FM has a battle system designed for adults.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
@ me when you've decided to quit the series. As a kid I could see how some people would be into it. As Final Fantasy geeks I could see how some found it appealing, and as Disney fans. However, as an adult, as good as the art and production is, I can't really understand what the continued pull of the franchise is, because it isn't the story that it spends so much time indulging in. It's a poorly written storyline.

In a gaming milieu where the MO is super deliberate and contemplative and inquisitive and all that, Kingdom Hearts allows me to indulge. I really hate the lame anime power of friendship thing but it just really works here for me. Maybe it's because the concept of hearts and light and darkness are so natural to its world. Maybe it's because the power of friendship is lame when played out in dialogue but is so hype in gameplay with stuff like Duck Flare. Or maybe it's actually really lame and I know it but then Simple and Clean started playing and I cried like I did when I first played, but it just works.

- That was undeniable proof that we totally owned you lamers.
- Who else will I eat ice cream with?
- They'll pay for this! *Mickey uncloaks to reveal his sk8terboi fighting gear.
- Did somebody mention the door to darkness? *Cuts to a shot of Emo Cult Leader Mickey*
- Winnie the Pooh freaking astral projecting for no reason.
- Take care of Riku. *Cuts to Repliku lying on the floor looking like he just got killed by the girl from The Ring*
- Darkness within darkness awaits you!
- Xion's whale scream
- I knew it all along. You and Kairi smell the same.
- Sora, it's Sephiroth! - Donald Duck

Those are all silly. But within the sincerity and heartiness of Kingdom Hearts, it works. Like, Xion has no real reason to exist and the whole Ansem is actually someone's Heartless reveal shows the game's disregard for consistency and sharp writing. But who cares? Xion won me over when she gave me sea shells as I was in a coma. Mickey is treated with utmost respect and reverence, always being referred to as The King or Your Majesty. So yeah. Kingdom Hearts allows me to indulge. That the storyline reads like something Nomura came up with after binge watching Disney movies in between taking a course on psychoanalysis is a delicious plus.

Oh, and it has really hype boss fights.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
People like to dump on the trash writing like that isn't what keeps people coming back again and agin lol. This is my trash thank you.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's answered for some characters, for some others it's purposely set up as a mystery.
That's good to hear that at least some of it is answered in KH3. I barely just started it in Proud mode, but I am not sure how far to play it as I think the free patch for it will add in a couple of cutscenes. I assume that is towards the end of the game since that is typically when most of the Xehanort mess is dealt with after finishing Disney Worlds. As far as I can tell, the paid for DLC will be post game content, both the secret episode and actual main DLC.

As for the series in general, I hope the next trilogy is actually planned this time from the beginning instead of retconning everything constantly.... Like the methods for gaining access to KH or a specific blade changes every game and how everyone is a Nobody/Heartless/etc of Xehanort or part of his master plan, which of course included all his predicted failures...
What was the deal with Xehanort/Xemnas' plan for KH2 ending? Apparently, he wanted to use the heart energy released from Sora defeating the heartless to build up a fake KH to make 13 copies of Xehanort (Darknesses?) using the Nobodies in Organization XIII, to get half of the requirement for the Chi-blade. Except by the time Xemnas was finally ready to release the fake KH to make the 13 Darknesses, most of Organization XIII was already "killed" off by Sora so the Nobodies reverted back to their human forms... So what exactly was his endgame in KH2 then since there weren't any vessels to turn into 13 Xehanorts/Darknesses?

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
OP, it is a joy to follow this thread. It is like I re-experience the games. Glad that you like it until now.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I recently played through all the Kingdom Hearts games for the very first time. I don't think I've ever played a franchise that the quality was constantly going up and down. It has amazing games (KH2, BBS, KH3), some decent (KH1, DDD, 358), and some absolute garbage (CoM, Re:Code)

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Kid isn't feeling so hot so I'm home today. Really hoping to make a dent in the data battles. I may just end up moving on to 358/2 by this evening, I've loved my time with KH2FM but I'm eager to get more plot now

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kid isn't feeling so hot so I'm home today. Really hoping to make a dent in the data battles. I may just end up moving on to 358/2 by this evening, I've loved my time with KH2FM but I'm eager to get more plot now

If you want to go with 358/2 Days I'd say go for it. The data battles will remain there.

Make sure you download the 358/2 Days "free DLC" on PSN store, it's basically a brand new climatic cutscene that was added to it because originally you played the final battle in the DS game, so in the original 358/2 cutscene collection it was a bit jarring to just skip over the battle

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to ove on if you want. By beatign Sephiroth you know how much fun it is to fight this optional bosses, and that's what we really wanted to show you.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

Go for it! The secret bosses are always gonna be here~

If you can, before moving on to the next game, maybe give Lingering Will a shot just to see what he's like and look up the extended secret ending?

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Lol after I posted that I...booted up kh2fm, I've only got like 3 puzzle pieces to go, and might as well give some of these data battles a look at least...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Lol after I posted that I...booted up kh2fm, I've only got like 3 puzzle pieces to go, and might as well give some of these data battles a look at least...

Are you on critical mode? I can't remember if you decided to go with that or not.

If so, don't expect to do a lot of the data battles lol. A lot of them need a solid strategy going in, to the point where I can only think of a handful that you can brute force, so to speak.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Are you on critical mode? I can't remember if you decided to go with that or not.

If so, don't expect to do a lot of the data battles lol. A lot of them need a solid strategy going in, to the point where I can only think of a handful that you can brute force, so to speak.
It's totally possible to just cheese them all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's totally possible to just cheese them all.

Yeah, I know it's possible cheese them if you know the strategy, but that's my point lol, there aren't many who you can just go in and fight without knowing the general strategy or the cheese method, unlike Sephiroth and the Absent Silhouettes.

Saix is probably the only one who you can go in and just fight normally without any preparation, off the top of my head. Maybe Luxord too, if you get the last bit down.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know it's possible cheese them if you know the strategy, but that's my point lol, there aren't many who you can just go in and fight without knowing the general strategy or the cheese method, unlike Sephiroth and the Absent Silhouettes.

Saix is probably the only one who you can go in and just fight normally without any preparation, off the top of my head. Maybe Luxord too, if you get the last bit down.
Roxas is definitely the fairest fight there imo

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Just cheesed my first Data fight (larxene). Endless loop of Peter Pan never land attack, instant duck flare as soon as Peter disappears, resummon Peter as soon as Duck flare ends...heh.
Edit: 2 down to the same strategy...the solo fights are gonna be harder

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just cheesed my first Data fight (larxene). Endless loop of Peter Pan never land attack, instant duck flare as soon as Peter disappears, resummon Peter as soon as Duck flare ends...heh.
Edit: 2 down to the same strategy...the solo fights are gonna be harder
Duck flare is ya best friend in like half the fights lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Data fights won so far:
Larxene
Luxord
Vexen
Lexaeus
Marluxia

I might actually do this thing...

Spoilers of Future OP
0c64261ffa80825fef4a4ef2eec83a97--kingdom-hearts-funny-kindom-hearts.jpg

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, if you can handle Vexen, you can handle them all. Vexen's easily the most stressful Data fight for me, personally.
Funnily enough I find Vexen to be one of the easiest during a regular critical run, alongside Lexaeus and Marluxia. I can see OP having a lot of trouble with Demyx due to a certain thing that happens near the end.

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
Just wanted to say that reading this topic the past few days has been really fun. It's been a wave of nostalgia as well. I undertook this journey (on a replay) last year leading up to KH3 and it was sooooo fun. That's understating it by a lot but it's the only word I can think of this early. Please keep updating us as you're going through!

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I got home from work today and my body told me it's time to start 358/2. I've proved to myself I can beat these data battles and maybe some day I'll finish them off... but I gotta keep going! My goal is still to be up to date with the series by Nioh 2 (March 13). Plus I just wanna see what happens next

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got home from work today and my body told me it's time to start 358/2. I've proved to myself I can beat these data battles and maybe some day I'll finish them off... but I gotta keep going! My goal is still to be up to date with the series by Nioh 2 (March 13). Plus I just wanna see what happens next
Yeah I'd say focus on the story then come back for the side content.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Time to share some Ice Cream!

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

Aw yeah! Time for the best Kingdom Hearts! Shame it's only a movie and not a game, but better than nothing.

It's only a movie. Doesn't hurt to finish watching 358/2 Days then go back and doing more data battles.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

Like an earlier poster said. Don't forget to download the cinematic DLC on the store unless you want to miss out on the final confrontation.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
well crap, missed that, and I'm already well over an hour in. Not loving it so far...but eventually I guess there'll be plot worth seeing.

going from kh2fm to this is a lot like Xenogears disc 2

the extra downloadable cutscene is for the end of the movie so you still have time. And yeah, it's a spliced together cutscene compilation of a DS game. It's not a whole lot.