• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dark Souls 3 Inspiration
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    Wow who knew KH 1 inspired Dark Souls 3?

EMbITy4XkAcQsCo

EMbITy4WkAAYwbR

:D lol

OP Finished KH1FM
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    I got to the first few fights in re: chain of memories and decided to watch a few youtube summaries instead. about to get going on KH2, lol. I got the bug.

Here are a last favorite few shots from my KH1 final mix playthrough

EM_OAgVXYAEPK4Z

EM_OARaXYAAe1Ju

EM_OA69XYAART9a

OP caves to peer pressure; starts KH2FM on critical
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    Play KH2 on critical OP :D It's a good level of difficulty throughout, and the game is relatively terrible on the other ones.
    Absolutely play KH2 on critical and face the optional bosses.

Did you also watch Riku's story from CoM, OP.
    damn op you really blew through KH1! also I can't endorse your decision to skip CoM. It's different but it's one of my faves in the series, but you do you :P

also I agree with those saying to play KH2 on critical

Alright you maniacs I'm restarting KH2 on critical since I was not like an hour in. Hope it's not tediously hard I'm just here mostly for a good time. I did find KH1 on normal pretty easy though, as y'all saw.

The intro song is a real banger

King Mickey goes full Kazuma Kiryu and OP loses it
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    I yelled out loud when Mickey says "they'll pay for this" after a certain scene. I'm so invested in this lmao. I actually stopped the game to show my wife the scene on YouTube 😂

He fucking throws the black jacket off Kiryu/Yakuza style!! I can't stop laughing omfg

BBS Ventus Screenshots
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    Just beat Ventus' storyline. I mayyyyyy have overleveled a bit, the boss fights were, um, trivial, with a couple of the powers I had melded.

Have I mentioned I really really enjoy the command melding system? It reminds me a lot of materia.

Screenshots from the last bit, I really really enjoyed the setting. I'm a sucker for the stained glass. BBS Ventus boss spoilers ahead - you've been warned if you haven't played this decade old game I guess?

EOvELDWW4AABtbY

EOvELfrXsAAgDF9

EOvEL3vWkAAp3EL

EOvEME9X0AEvdws

OP Reviews Series and Experience
  • OP
    OP
    NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
    Washington, DC
    Thoughts on the series having played through all the games except Re: COM and the games that are just cutscenes in the collection:

I think overall the series went from strength to strength. The original games, while dated, still boasted strong production values. Given the timeframe of original release, the quality voice acting and tight action gameplay are really something commendable. More importantly, it holds up today. I think KHIII is a culmination and refinement not only of the mainline games but also the sub games in terms of combat. Ok, it's not Sekiro level tight, but what is? It's also less frustrating, and I say that as someone who platinumed Sekiro & Nioh and loves action RPGs.

Regarding the aforementioned production values, we cant just talk about graphics, although each entry is superb for it's time. The music, starting from the very opening menu, is just 10/10. You don't have to be an anime or JRPG fan to enjoy it - my wife has asked several times about the non Disney music and commented how nice it is. Even play it at bedtime occasionally, or the more upbeat stuff when driving.

The story is less dumb than people make it sound. I'm not sure what people expected from a game that is premised from the beginning on, essentially, multiverses, etc. Sure the story gets dumb crazy sometimes, but that's why I'm here! Buy a ticket, take the ride. I also think it's a fairly cohesive story overall if you pay attention and play or watch everything. It had a lot of twists and turns but in the end the good guys usually come out on top, which is no surprise given it's a Disney game. What I do like is some of the insights on lasting friendship and love, and hardship. It's more poignant to me at this point in my life than if I had played it as a younger person, that's for sure.

Finally, in just plain video game terms, these games are FUN! The action is tight, the story generally moves at a nice clip, theres plenty to do in terms of minigames, fighting, collectibles, and post game content in each entry. As I said earlier, one of the most important criteria is fun. The games always leave me with a smile on my face and in an age of grimdark games it's nice to have a game with kinda overbearing positivity, a game that even leans into it. I have no qualms about saying this playthrough helped me get over the death of our pet in December.

And I got all this content, hundreds of hours, for $33. Well, $63 if you count ReMind, which I haven't yet played. Still, great value for money IMO.

TLDR: The series gets a hearty recommendation from this ARPG/JRPG fan, give it a try if you're on the fence IMO, wait for the All In One physical disc for $50.