• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ I can also add that completing the nut gathering mission that opens up after jumping through Tigger's simon says course on the tree stumps gives some VERY valuable rewards. The Pooh challenges in general have janky controls though, which is a theme of the first game so far.

Heh, and one big 1.5 tip that I learned only after nearly beating the game is to use the magic shield in tough battles. I was literally 90% through the game when I finally decided to try it out after getting whomped (on Proud difficulty) by a final battle vs. a boss that kept blindly hitting me because the lock on camera was so terrible. His name begins with an R., to not spoil it.

tl;dr: The magic shield is your friend for the entire game if you use it.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Yes I have a tip.
Don't take it all too seriously.

I'm saying this as a HUGE fan of the series and years ago I would've defended the story to hell and back, but after recently replaying them all, I kept asking myself the same question over and over again: how on earth did I ever take this all so seriously?!
I mean, it's fun, don't get me wrong and there's a lot to take in if you wanna, but really... at this point it's incredibly convoluted and it's ridiculously easy to lose track of everthing that's going on in these games.
So instead of trying to remember every single tidbit of story and lore there is, I recommend to let go a little, relax and enjoy it for what it is: a good time.

Also, it's perfectly possible that you'll do the above anyway, but this is coming from personal experience.

OP
OP
FlaygletheBagel
Oct 25, 2017
The years hasn't been kind to KH1. I think the game is great since its story is selfcontained and some few level designs are well made.

But yeah, as some others has said it's fine to skip the game and only watch the cutscenes.

Well turns out I ended up taking this advice! I made it to Atlantica and that was where I drew the line with KH1. At a certain point I realized the only part of KH1 I was enjoying was the story, so why even deal with the actual playing the game part anymore? Ended up just watching the cutscenes on YouTube and I don't regret it even a little.

Next I'm planning on trying Chain of Memories, but if I hate the game part of that, I'll watch it on YouTube too and just move on to KH2, since it seems to be the crowd favorite anyway.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Play them, enjoy them. They're great games.

I've played most of the series multiple times and I still can't keep track of the fucking story.

But they're fun and worth playing, mostly. (thinking CoM)

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I say play 1 and 2, 358days is TERRIBLE to play, story is interesting somehow... you can skip everything else...

Oct 27, 2017
I am finally deep into Chain of Memories and the combat kind of makes sense. Just battled Riku a second time and found it hard as hell. I wish I picked easy mode.

Question, is the Riku storyline pretty important? If I continue on, or if I even make it to the end of Sora's story, should I play Riku's story? Can I switch to easy mode at that time?

I sometimes feel the game is fun and then it gets incredibly frustrating with unfair fights. Who was this game made for?!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am finally deep into Chain of Memories and the combat kind of makes sense. Just battled Riku a second time and found it hard as hell. I wish I picked easy mode.

Question, is the Riku storyline pretty important? If I continue on, or if I even make it to the end of Sora's story, should I play Riku's story? Can I switch to easy mode at that time?

I sometimes feel the game is fun and then it gets incredibly frustrating with unfair fights. Who was this game made for?!

The Riku story is secretly the only part of CoM worth playing. It actually has some great advancement for Riku's character arc.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
you can skip everything else..
I would not skip BBS and DDD, they are pretty damn important if you don't want to be completely out of loop for KH3.

Just battled Riku a second time and found it hard as hell. I wish I picked easy mode.
There is a way to cheese the boss fights in Re:CoM. Get the Sonic blade sleight and spam it, though it becomes a bit too easy.

I'd say Rikus story part is much easier and shorter, I also think it's more interesting than the Sora part. You can switch to easy mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'll play the riku storyline after I get through Sora. Can I expect really tough boss fights from now to the end? Similar to how some of Kingdom Hearts bosses were pretty tough in the original. Hoping I can pull this off. I've put this game off for a long long time.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
i tried to play KH1 twice years ago and I just couldn't get into it. I was also someone who was scared to play RPGs of any type because I had the misconception that they were really hard. So I remember progressing a couple of hours and not knowing what to do and getting frustrated with myself ( good to know it wasn't my fault). A lot of people here are saying to skip 1. Hmmm.

Shindo

Jan 20, 2018
Algiers
Alright, I'll play the riku storyline after I get through Sora. Can I expect really tough boss fights from now to the end? Similar to how some of Kingdom Hearts bosses were pretty tough in the original. Hoping I can pull this off. I've put this game off for a long long time.

There are no tough bosses in Re:Com ( especially with Sora ) as long as you use cards in the right order.

Check their stats in the journal , you should always start with a good strike card , then thrust to combo finisher or aim to more fancy fights with all the sleights (lethal frame is insane against bosses )

Playing as Riku will be easier since you don't have to worry about making a deck.

Oct 27, 2017
There are no tough bosses in Re:Com ( especially with Sora ) as long as you use cards in the right order.

Check their stats in the journal , you should always start with a good strike card , then thrust to combo finisher or aim to more fancy fights with all the sleights (lethal frame is insane against bosses )

Playing as Riku will be easier since you don't have to worry about making a deck.

Thanks for the tips. I'm half liking the game and half frustrated with it. I do love the music in this series. That menu music pulls me in every time.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck at Vexen and this is where I find myself so frustrated by this game. I have no issues getting through most levels and then a boss like this I waste over an hour and get nowhere. How far am I to the end of this? I contemplated giving up but I've already sunk 12 hours into this. I would rather finish Sora and play Riku on easy.

Shindo

Jan 20, 2018
Algiers
I'm stuck at Vexen and this is where I find myself so frustrated by this game. I have no issues getting through most levels and then a boss like this I waste over an hour and get nowhere. How far am I to the end of this? I contemplated giving up but I've already sunk 12 hours into this. I would rather finish Sora and play Riku on easy.

People either have trouble against Larxene or Vexen :c

I'd advise you to play this fight wisely by card breaking him (making him lower his guard otherwise you will not be able to use normal attack on him) and use a lot of firaga.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've taken down Vexen twice and just took out Larxene for the second time. Wasn't easy but I was able to do it. I'm assuming I'm close to the end of Sora's story...but how tough are the remaining bosses? I believe I'm level 47 with high sleights and card power.

I am enjoying the game more now that I finally understand it for the most part. Still thinking I'll play Riku on beginner.

Last edited:

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
I was 57 when I beat Soras story in Re Chain of Memories
Id advise to stock up on ragnarock sleights and use the card you get at the end, and keep high valued cards in your deck or the final boss can one shot you. Also jafar card combined with ars arcanum can melt through boss hp
Rikus story is much shorter, I beat it at around 6-8 hrs.He also has really fun mechanics that trivialize mobs and most bosses, also get jafar card asap and when you can get to wonderland do it immediately because Rikus decks are prebuilt and the wonderland deck sucks hard(I just ran to the boss)

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started Kingdom Hearts 2 today after watching a KH1 story recap (I played it years ago). I was expecting Kingdom Hearts 2 to feel pretty old, but it holds up surprisingly well, even as a newcomer to it. The combat isn't all that fluid by today's standards, but it's fun and engaging.

The only parts of the game that feels old is how unforgiving the checkpoints/saves can be along with how much maps have evolved since 2005. There was a fight early on which is a series of 3 or so fights, and if you lose at any point you have to start it all over again. The map also doesn't give any sort of labeling as to what areas are what. It was a bit of an issue for me in the starting town, but the worlds i've been to since then have been relatively small and linear enough that it's not an issue.

Getting through it before Kingdom Hearts 3 is looking like it'll be much less of a slog than I was expecting!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Just wrapped up Birth by Sleep today! Just gotta' get the Platinum for KH2 (damn gummi ships) and BBS, then it's off to 2.8! Took me a year off and on to get through the whole disc and Platinum KH1 And CoM! What value!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
My advice:

Play KH1, if the platforming is too terrible to stomach, stop playing and watch a recap of the story, it's fun and the only worthwhile story in the entire series by far.

Play KH2, hands down the best arpg combat of all time. Play it on proud or critical mode first time.

Play 0.2. It's only like 3 hours if you take it slowly. Combat is very similar to KH2 but very limited since it's basically a demo.

The combat in BBS and DDD is complete trash. Everything sucks compared to KH2, movement, combos etc etc. Terribly unbalanced as well.

Watch the cutscenes for the other games or a recap just to know who the characters are for KH3. The story in all the other games besides KH1 is complete garbage juice and honestly not worth watching.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Gameplay gets much better in two, but the story takes a dive into the abyss. Get ready to read the wiki for hours if you didn't get it all in the end.

For one here is a few tips,

1.) Magic can be pretty OP at times. Things like thunder can hit multiple enemies at the same time, so later there will be times Thunder spells are like a screen nuke. Use Gravity on giant enemies to take huge chunks off their health. The bigger or heavier they are the more damage Gravity does. Also, aero is a defense boost spell which is really handy in the game.

2.) you don't have to do the cups in Olympus if you don't want too. They're great for extra goodies, but just finding the keyhole is good enough for story progression.

3.) In Deep Jungle, you'll be going up and down the level a lot. While there isn't a fast way to go up, there is a fast way to get to the camp from the tree house. There is a room that has a save point and a hole in the ground that you can jump in, which puts you in a sliding mini game like Tarzan does in the movie. At the end it puts you right at the camp.

4.) I wouldn't recommend giving Donald any Magic potions with auto refill after battles. He goes crazy with Magic and uses it up like 10 seconds into a battle, which means he will drain you of them.

5.) For Goofy, this one will fix tip 4. Later in the game Goofy gets a skill called MP gift, which lets him give up 1 MP to give a teammate 3 MP. Since Goofy does enough damage on his own, I always turned off his skills that use MP beside MP gift so he can focus on that. This makes it so you and Donald will have more than enough MP to destroy anything or use Aero and Cure all the time.

6.) Tinker Bell Summoning is broken. She essentially auto heals you until you die, then revives you and disappears. However, with skills like second chance and once more, which keeps you from being killed mid combo or one shotted, she practically stays around forever since she heals which keeps you only going back to 1hp instead of dying. Use her later to cheese boss battles you hate.

7.) make sure if you look up any guide you're reading the final mix version. Many things were changed from the original such as recipes for synergy items. They have added new heartless in that act like a mini game to get specific pieces for the recipes now.

Hope these helped in some way. Try not to worry too much about the combat and instead try to enjoy the Disney and Square collaboration. It's a pretty by the standards story and game that anyone can understand. It only starts to get deep and complex with Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, two, and beyond.

Edit: just realized this thread was bumped and didn't see. Well, if anyone who needs help with KH1 and is viewing this I hope my wall of text helps lol.