• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just finished this this week and... wow. Wow wow. Why didn't anyone tell me it was THIS good?

So whats it about?

dKyGpe6.png

The show follows Rei Kiriyama, a 17 year old professional Shogi player, who's had a bit of a.. rough life. It's a coming of age story that follows him and a few other characters, and it deals with depression, bullying, loss, friendship, growth, love, anxiety, and more.

Shogi? What's that?

Shogi is essentially Japanese Chess. And no, you don't need to know about Shogi before diving in. There's a few shogi heavy parts but as the show goes on it explains what you need to know well enough. So no worries.

original.gif

The anime is fantastic, and Rei's tale is wonderfully told. If you've ever had difficult times with some of the themes mentioned I really think this anime will speak for you. It's hard to describe why I loved it so much but it just felt really wholesome and warm. Easily falls into my top 10 anime's of all time. If you end up watching it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

FatalDistantHookersealion-small.gif

original.gif

tumblr_ozb2nnqbnQ1qehrvso1_400.gif

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this on crunchyroll a month or two back. It's really fantastic, and helped me with my breakup seeing the kinds of emotions shown in it.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
there's a reason why it finished in the ERA anime of the year top 5 last year. Season 1 finished in the top 10.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Best animated show in a decade. Flawless blend of genuine warmth, deeply-felt anguish and coming of age goof, with an absolute minimum of the Usual Anime Bullshit to push through for the good stuff. It's a show that lets you all the way in to the pain and the joy of its colorful cast.

Currently very sad that there is no official localization of the books.

OP
OP
VeePs

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Best animated show in a decade. Flawless blend of genuine warmth, deeply-felt anguish and coming of age goof, with an absolute minimum of the Usual Anime Bullshit to push through for the good stuff. It's a show that lets you all the way in to the pain and the joy of its colorful cast.

Great description. It was wonderful. There's moments it feels like the sun came out on a gloomy day.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
This show's concept is basically Your Lie In April.

But actually, legitimately good.

Also it's gifable af.
45F21E979085AFA49975F838243D4BBEC58E32C6
tumblr_ozb2nnqbnQ1qehrvso1_400.gif

tumblr_ow8e9rgzsD1t0lt8go1_500.gif
tumblr_oerkkqJbH61qg78wpo1_500.gif

Easily one of Studio SHAFT's best series.

Triggs

May 3, 2019
Just watched this show for the first time a week ago and was absolutely blown away. I think it may be my favorite anime ever. Can not recommend this show enough.

The art style kind of put me off at first (specifically the way the characters are depicted) but once I got used to it I was able to appreciate that the show is actually beautifully made, as all the gifs in this thread can attest.

OP
OP
VeePs

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's so, so good. I've been trying to get people to watch it without much luck yet. But one person I know said they'd give it a shot!

It's why I made this thread! Lol, I was hoping I could convince a few people to watch it. I thought it would be far more popular than it actually is after I watched it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Easily one of the best anime in a decade. March Comes in Like a Lion is the kind of anime that appears once in a generation.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
As a Shaft fans, March Comes in Like a Lion is unexpectedly good. No quality drop till the end was surprise me a lot.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lmao. I mentioned it earlier but I 100% had the same complaint. I stopped feeling that way around episode 5-6 if that helps.

Lol I stupidly thought you meant there was a story reason that they look that way and it's explained a few episodes in 😂 I'll watch a few more episodes. I've kind of issues like this with shows before but have been able to overcome if the story and characters engage me enough.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
The animation is lively and the music is excellent. It's very sincere and heartfelt.

... but the tone shifts are abrupt and Rei's monologues are relentlessly gloomy and melodramatic? The animation portraying the feeling of drowning and isolation are on point and the feelings are heartfelt and genuine but I'm 4 episodes in and starting to feel restless about what Rei is feeling this melancholy about.

... okay, that's insensitive and unfair, I got a fair bit of flashes about what he's melancholy about.
There was a car crash and the flashbacks of a verbally abusive woman, that's heavy. I guess I'm just overeager to get to the red meat of the whole story.
I guess I'm not in the mood for this type of monologue driven melodrama. And the tone shifts are weirding me out.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
I watched it a few months ago and was floored by how good it was and how much I enjoyed it. Really hope it continues sooner than later. I read ahead with the manga and really can't wait to see some of the upcoming stuff animated.

The season 2 opening is one of my favorites of all time.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
No other anime (or tv series) hit me like this one did. It's spiritual in how beautiful and lovely it is. Teared up many times brehs, many times.

Also Momo is the greatest and if I ever have a daughter I want her to be as cute.