• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
meteos_titleeekwz.gif

I recently picked up a bunch of DS games that I've missed, one of them being Meteos. As a big fan of puzzle games, I heard many good things about it. Mostly comparisons to Tetris, or Lumines which was released shortly before. It was hailed as THE action puzzler for the system and with Masahiro Sakurai being the designer, I honestly had high expectations. When you boot it up, you're greeted with a ridiculously epic CGI sequence. Calm down already, it's a puzzle game. To be honest I like my puzzle games abstract, no need for a story (no matter how ridiculous), and rather slick and unicolored surfaces than these mushy colored blocks from the title logo. But I understand, visual identity is important, and since Lumines came right before, Meteos had to go another (uglier) way. At least the little alien creatures are cute and (hooray!) abstract.

dkhnaxjxoaa0ktuidkr2.jpg

If you might have forgotten that Sakurai designed this game, then comes a visual reminder: the menues. You can even push around the icons. Fun! So after clicking every button once, and wiggling them around even more, you find that you can spend your future meteos-earnings on a whole bunch of goodies, like soundfiles, items, and planets [Fusion], seeing every move and misstep you make painfully recorded [Extras], a reminder that no one around you is playing NDS anymore [Wireless] and then - ah! - the meat of the game [Meteos]. The Tutorial explains you the gist of the game, much better than I could.

meteostutorialqujv9.png

I investend about five or six hours into the game but I'm not fully sure about it already. It's super addicting, that's for sure. But some small things bother me, maybe you can help me with that. I don't really understand how every planet works. I like that there is a change to gameplay, many of the planets feel distinct, yet others... I don't know. I mean, I can figure out pretty quickly when it's best to kickstart a stack of meteos with a vertical line, of if you have to fire twice to shoot them off. But there are so many so-so planets, where I don't really know if I found the right strategy to approach them. I'll give it some more time, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm sometimes getting frustrated with slow-falling booster blocks. Like when I ligned up a combo, just waiting for the thing to fall and the lines to connect, only to fail shortly before it clicks, since there's no way of bringing down the rocks quicker. Also, in some levels they fall down too quickly, which makes it hard to correctly hit the right block, when the whole stack is crashing down. Same problem with accuracy in the credit level. The blocks are just a tad too small to hit reliably, especially when they're moving. Some of the instructions from the challenge level are also a bit vague: "lauch 30 water meteos", okay does that mean to ignite them, or to send them off flying?

I'll share some more thought the more I play, but please tell my about your experiences with the game! I'm being nit-picky, but I really enjoy my time with it so far. Not sure if I return to it in the way I return to Tetris or Tetris Attack, but that's something only time will tell. And finally I get where those X and + bombs from Smash are from!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
I think Meteos was the game that sold me a DS. I played a ton of local multiplayer with friends that summer when it came out.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played it, but added it to my gaming queue after falling in love with Tetris Effect and discovering Tetsuya Mizuguchi was also involved in it. Will watch your thread

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it. I thought the various planets and their little alien characters had a ton of personality.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games ever made.

I need a remake on the Switch somehow.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It's one of my favorite DS games. Isn't this from the same dev who brought us Nervous Brickdown? Another amazing game on DS.

Edit: nope, Meteos is from Q entertainment and Nervous Brickdown is made by Arkado Studio.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My personal favorite match-3 puzzle game.

Absolutely loved the rocket booster mechanic and how many weird endings and branching paths there were for a puzzle game.

Shame that the Disney sequel was mediocre, if I remember right it didn't even have Disney music (or at least bad Disney music).

OP
OP
Bamboo

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I thought the various planets and their little alien characters had a ton of personality.
Yes, I figured that out. There's also a little button to hit with the stylus that does that. What I meant was, that when you launched some bricks, and they slowly descend, you can't interrupt or hard drop them once they're airborne. No matter how many more meteos drop in total. They only marginally speed up the drop, and sometimes (a lot of times) even that was too slow for my combo to connect. Maybe I that was the intention anyway, but seems like I overestimate the falling speed too often.

Dec 14, 2017
There's a speed up drop function for sure, not sure how it works though. Each planet has different gravity mainly and in air chunks behave differently too, sometimes a single second aerial launch will be enough to send a huge chunk or you need a series of small launches to clear it. I agree it's not easy to adjust or understand the subtle changes quickly per planet, but as you play more you'll know the changes.

OP
OP
Bamboo

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
My personal favorite match-3 puzzle game.

Absolutely loved the rocket booster mechanic and how many weird endings and branching paths there were for a puzzle game.

Shame that the Disney sequel was mediocre, if I remember right it didn't even have Disney music (or at least bad Disney music).
How is the Disney sequel mediocre? Is is just a fresh/stale disney-paint or was anything changed, new modes, etc?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For a complete puzzle noob like myself I found myself highly enjoying Meteos. It was less pure puzzle, more action game almost. I think it's on of the few puzzle games I spend some real time on, usually I get bored almost instantly.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My personal favorite competitive puzzler, I think. I love how it basically had characters with different stats in a puzzle game.

Also, you can hold down L to increase the fall speed. I remember literally holding down the button the entiritiy of a match to aid with combos. I also remember my favorite planet was the Swampy one with the "floaty" gravity. I remember it being easy to link up a bunch of blocks of junk that way.

The combo potential in Meteos is outrageous, you could get really creative with it. I wish they had kept the series going...

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I figured that out. There's also a little button to hit with the stylus that does that. What I meant was, that when you launched some bricks, and they slowly descend, you can't interrupt or hard drop them once they're airborne. No matter how many more meteos drop in total. They only marginally speed up the drop, and sometimes (a lot of times) even that was too slow for my combo to connect. Maybe I that was the intention anyway, but seems like I overestimate the falling speed too often.
I was really confused by this until I realized you meant to respond to the post under mine, ha.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I loved this game. But I had that bad feeling that I could just drag the stylus fast everywhere on the screen and cheat to win.

OP
OP
Bamboo

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
I was really confused by this until I realized you meant to respond to the post under mine, ha.
Whoopsie, you're right!

To clear things up, here's a visual aid to explain my problem. I know you can speed up dropping random Meteos. My problem is with meteos that are already airborne! And my greediness!
meteosmiserypgjpl.png

The image isn't perfect, but that's what I quickly found. Airborne meteos don't connect with the ones on the ground. So I line up the pink on the right, in order to connect to the slowly descending line. Here it would be one above the lowest line. Or I push all of them as far down as possible. But before the booster line fully descends, the tower to the right stacks up and I'm dead. I see that you could connect the water tiles in this image. But yeah, I'm too greedy and/or overestimate the descending speed.

OP
OP
Bamboo

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
I have fond memories of playing my NDS on the train during my daily commute. Meteos was definitely in heavy, heavy rotation. Kind of shocked it hasn't made an appearance on Switch yet, tbh.
I'm not that surprised, it's basically made for stylus play. Are there any stylus games for the switch atm? Picross maybe? Will they bundle one with Mario Maker 2? I just couldn't imagine playing this with a pad.
But the planet-theme, and ridiculousness of the presentation could work well on a bigger screen. With the DS, the tininess of the planets makes the aliens struggle for survival adorable.

Jan 29, 2018
Meteos probably would've worked surprisingly well on the Wii U Virtual Console. It's too bad it never got that many DS games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Whoopsie, you're right!

To clear things up, here's a visual aid to explain my problem. I know you can speed up dropping random Meteos. My problem is with meteos that are already airborne! And my greediness!
meteosmiserypgjpl.png

The image isn't perfect, but that's what I quickly found. Airborne meteos don't connect with the ones on the ground. So I line up the pink on the right, in order to connect to the slowly descending line. Here it would be one above the lowest line. Or I push all of them as far down as possible. But before the booster line fully descends, the tower to the right stacks up and I'm dead. I see that you could connect the water tiles in this image. But yeah, I'm too greedy and/or overestimate the descending speed.
In that case, you need to just make an ignition on the column on the right to save yourself. On another planet the clusters might descend fast enough to do what you wanted to, but Geolyte's descent speed is too slow. The secret to adding onto a cluster in this case would be to make the ignition not from the bottom row so you can make new ignitions incorporating further columns that will slam into the cluster already in the air and join up with it. If you had another water block on the third space from the left there you could do that with the column on the left.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty terrible at this. I was a marginally better at Lumines and PPL, but never really got the hang of this one.

Oct 27, 2017
From what I know, Mizuguchi was a producer in this game. So that counts as "involvement" as I said in my original message. I never said it was a "Mizuguchi game"
When the Lumines remaster came out last year, people asked if they'd do the same to Meteos and he laughed and said he had nothing to do with the game and you should ask Sakurai instead. I doubt it will ever happen given how quickly that series died compared to Miz's own Lumines which released right around Meteos.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I've been thinking about games that are trapped on older systems, and I came back to meteos, tetris ds, and planet puzzle league. So many great trapped puzzle games on the ds

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about games that are trapped on older systems, and I came back to meteos, tetris ds, and planet puzzle league. So many great trapped puzzle games on the ds
With emulation the way it is these days being trapped on older systems doesn't mean as much as it used to. Also DS games are probably some of the most accessible older games because of how widely available the various 3DS systems are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Did something happen with Sakurai and this franchise? He only ever worked on the original game iirc, not the Disney, XBLA or mobile variants and I always wondered if maybe there was an issue or any bad blood between him and Miz after for some reason.

I assume Enhance owns the IP now? Or maybe Bamco?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
This should get the Lumines HD treatment, or better yet, a fully fleshed out sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Did something happen with Sakurai and this franchise? He only ever worked on the original game iirc, not the Disney, XBLA or mobile variants and I always wondered if maybe there was an issue or any bad blood between him and Miz after for some reason.

Enhance doesn't own it.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I remember playing the hell out of this during a summer vacation in 2005 and I always wondered why they never fought of bringing it back as a series or updating it.

OP
OP
Bamboo

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
In that case, you need to just make an ignition on the column on the right to save yourself. On another planet the clusters might descend fast enough to do what you wanted to, but Geolyte's descent speed is too slow. The secret to adding onto a cluster in this case would be to make the ignition not from the bottom row so you can make new ignitions incorporating further columns that will slam into the cluster already in the air and join up with it. If you had another water block on the third space from the left there you could do that with the column on the left.
I took your advice, and it seems like it's working out better! Being less greedy certainly helped, too.
Tetris DS is so good. But to be honest, it doesn't hurt that bad, since there are other good Tetris games on modern platforms, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris 99, Tetris Effect. It's not entirely the same, but much better than nothing.
Anyone here thinks about those delicious chocolate covered cookies?
Cookies?
They did. It was on Xbox 360 as Meteos Online.
Oh that's interesting, I had no idea. Online would be amazing, but I still can't imagine playing it without a stylus. I don't know if I'd enjoy the horizontal flipping, too. Seems like a litte bit too much freedom and less planning ahead, which I probably enjoy most about it. Anyone played it on X360?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MAybe smash?