• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Olga is a good portrayal of a female character. I personally think Fortune, Eva and The Boss are alright, though I can see and agree with the critiques against them. I guess I will say they are mixed bags. The rest of Kojima's MGS characters are trash, imo. He has a real bad track record with female characters and I say that as someone who loves MGS

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think MGS5 is the worst possible choise for being the first Metal Gear one plays (other than PW maybe), even though I really enjoyed it.
I didnt really liked Quiet as a character, just like most other characters on MGS5, but that had nothing to do with her outfit tbh.

PW was the first MGS game I played (got it on my PSP day of release because of the good reviews), and the one that got me interested in the series to play the other games.

I briefly played MGS3 and MGS4 when they came out, but never finished them till much later.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you misunderstand or I didn't word it good enough or I am misunderstanding you now but I object to defining her as misogyny as if it is an objective truth and anyone who disagrees would objectively be wrong. I also object to the notion that sexy=sexist. Being sexy intentionally is not inherently bad or wrong or worthy of criticism but I won't mind it we all have our opinions and I welcome them. Loving sexy cartoons or computer models or real women is not hatred for women now that doesn't mean it can't be. But I have no reason to think they hate women and I also did not find the character offensive as many others didn't and that doesn't give someone the right to then brand me or others especially the creators as people who hate women.
What's to misunderstand? I asked you to provide an objective measure of misogyny, which it appears you have not done, preferring instead to kick at strawmen. Your assumption here that I have an issue with sexy characters or equate sexiness with misogyny is false; this isn't something I said, and further, it's not something I think. You're not arguing here with The Feminist Collective, but rather discussing with an individual; please don't put words in my mouth. My points—and I listed several—was that Quiet indeed exhibited a litany of poor design decisions that fall within bounds of established grounds of misogyny. Would you like to discuss those assertions?

I'm sorry you felt she represented that but you have to understand that others may have a completely different take away and not see, what you see or they do and don't have an issue with it as they don't take it as coming from a place of hate or feel it fits with the game despite disliking it. Or they just don't get affected by fiction or let that influence their perceptions and attitudes something that has been studied just as violence in games has. I feel comfortably with those results that I shouldn't worry about the effects games has on people's actions in real life just as I do with movies, tv and books.
I wonder who's offended here - me, as you say, or you, as you seem to feel I'm calling everyone a misogynist? There's a difference, you see, between doing a thing and being a thing. I'm not saying "Kojima is a misogynist." I don't know Kojima, nor his motivations or intentions. What I said was that Quiet, to the measure I established, is grounded in misogyny. Perhaps this is splitting hairs for you, but I think we need to be able to talk about actions without applying labels. Misogynistic designs have long been a part of gaming, which is why I said that she comes from a tradition I've seen all my life: barriers of entry to women in gaming, a long documented and researched phenomenon. Nick Yee talks about it at length in his work on avatars, for instance. These moves are continually made by primarily male designers because, well, it's easier to continue to use tropes and to lean on stereotypes than it is to create fully fleshed out characters. Without criticism, designers have no reason to change these moves. Criticism, like failure, is part of how we learn and adjust.

Sometimes it doesn't do anyone any good to just constantly attack something you don't agree with either. I don't like south park but I don't view or think that people who do are terrible people or think it should be banned, censored it is enough I don't have to watch the show. So if let's say a person hates anime and consider it all sexist then perhaps at some point you should just ignore it and if you want to argue it try and do so with respect unless your intention isn't to argue in good faith that is and you just want people to feel bad in which case the name calling will work great just no one will ever listen so bare that in mind.
Okay? I didn't say anything needed to be censored or banned. Are you sure you're talking to me? Am I constantly attacking, considering that was my first post in this thread? Have I spent every day since MGSV was released hollering from the hilltops that Quiet should be removed from the game, that Kojima should have been censured? I bought and played the game. Am I not entitled to my critical angle simply because you don't happen to agree?

In fact once you spend majority of your time attacking women and female characters for being sexy and attractive while taking shots at how they dress and carry themselves you run the risk to start to become what you claim to be against. Objectify women their bodies and "mansplain" how they have to be and you are doing what misogynists do.
And I've done this... where... exactly?

You seem rather upset about something, but I fail to see how most of it connects with anything I posted. Did you perhaps mix me up with another poster?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
In the world of metal gear, woman having to wear less clothing to be able to breathe is on the low end of crazy. You'll have to wait for Japanese culture to evolve before you'll get any changes in Japanese games and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it's so bad and you knew how it was prior to playing what made you download it? To let us know that it bothers you?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Players trying to completely avoid shitty portrayals of women in games would have a pretty limited choice.

Further, it's possible to enjoy much of a thing while criticizing what one sees as flaws. Sometimes one can even enjoy the flawed parts while recognizing they are flawed.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quiet is far "worse" in game, than in an image or description would lead you to believe.

I also don't exactly understand why you're complaining, we now have 7 pages of discussion that show this topic was worth posting.
I feel like there is no good or bad portrayal of a character. With discussions like this people are just tossing out one way to box in women in favor of another that they personally agree with.

Does Quiet lack nuance? Yes, but so does the player character you engage with for most of the game. MGSV is not the platform for deep and thought provoking characters, clearly.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like there is no good or bad portrayal of a character.

I don't understand how you can justify this stance.
I'd ask if the perverted gay men in Persona 5 that chase young boys and perpetuate the negative stereotypes currently associated with homosexual men, are bad portrayals of gay men in a video game?
(especially as the only gay representation in that game, if I recall)

With discussions like this people are just tossing out one way to box in women in favor of another that they personally agree with.

The problem people usually have, is that women in video games fall into the same box 90% of the time. Even if you don't want to talk about negative representation, this is a issue in regards to growth of the video games industry, reaching different audiences, etc.

MGSV is not the platform for deep and thought provoking characters, clearly.

Couldn't that be a worthwhile discussion or takeaway from this thread? Not everyone is even going to agree with that stance.

Last edited:

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Her design screams thoughtlessness. Good art lives from the meaning and thought the creators put into every facet of it.
Quiets design didn't follow an artistic vision thats blending into the environment, the characters attributes or the story, its just a sexualized depiction of a woman.

Regardless of whether you think sexualized designs like that are okay or not, you have to acknowledge that there is nothing behind it. Its shallow.
And that sticks out in a game thats known for a well thought out world.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Olga is a good portrayal of a female character. I personally think Fortune, Eva and The Boss are alright, though I can see and agree with the critiques against them. I guess I will say they are mixed bags. The rest of Kojima's MGS characters are trash, imo. He has a real bad track record with female characters and I say that as someone who loves MGS

I really can't remember anything about Olga to be honest. How do you think was she a good character?

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
I still to this day never understood which people get so upset over a videogame character. Its just boobs man lol. There are women who cosplay her and love to look sexy. Nothing wrong with it imo.

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quiet is just one small chapter of an insane series with all sorts of bizarre characters. On being a "good female character," I don't know why she or anyone else in MGS should have the burden of representing their gender. And even if we were to go down that route, i'd put her on the positive end with her being the very opposite of a damsel in distress. She's also a partner and friend instead of a love interest, which is the road less traveled in any medium given the circumstances and amount of time Boss spends with her.

Her arc, her usefulness, and her song make her the heart of the game imo.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's to misunderstand? I asked you to provide an objective measure of misogyny, which it appears you have not done, preferring instead to kick at strawmen. Your assumption here that I have an issue with sexy characters or equate sexiness with misogyny is false; this isn't something I said, and further, it's not something I think. You're not arguing here with The Feminist Collective, but rather discussing with an individual; please don't put words in my mouth. My points—and I listed several—was that Quiet indeed exhibited a litany of poor design decisions that fall within bounds of established grounds of misogyny. Would you like to discuss those assertions?

I wonder who's offended here - me, as you say, or you, as you seem to feel I'm calling everyone a misogynist? There's a difference, you see, between doing a thing and being a thing. I'm not saying "Kojima is a misogynist." I don't know Kojima, nor his motivations or intentions. What I said was that Quiet, to the measure I established, is grounded in misogyny. Perhaps this is splitting hairs for you, but I think we need to be able to talk about actions without applying labels. Misogynistic designs have long been a part of gaming, which is why I said that she comes from a tradition I've seen all my life: barriers of entry to women in gaming, a long documented and researched phenomenon. Nick Yee talks about it at length in his work on avatars, for instance. These moves are continually made by primarily male designers because, well, it's easier to continue to use tropes and to lean on stereotypes than it is to create fully fleshed out characters. Without criticism, designers have no reason to change these moves. Criticism, like failure, is part of how we learn and adjust.

Okay? I didn't say anything needed to be censored or banned. Are you sure you're talking to me? Am I constantly attacking, considering that was my first post in this thread? Have I spent every day since MGSV was released hollering from the hilltops that Quiet should be removed from the game, that Kojima should have been censured? I bought and played the game. Am I not entitled to my critical angle simply because you don't happen to agree?

And I've done this... where... exactly?

You seem rather upset about something, but I fail to see how most of it connects with anything I posted. Did you perhaps mix me up with another poster?

You are obviously not going to be able to have a conversation on this topic. Again, misogyny besides hatred for women is not an objective measure by which we can decide that the character is misogyny or does such a character not have a right to be in the medium.

I didn't try to insult you or accuse you specifically at all but you took it all as such. Same with this game and character. It is in the eye of the beholder you decide what you think but just because you think I said something I didn't doesn't make it true.

Hope you can find someone else to discuss this with instead.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Quiet is just one small chapter of an insane series with all sorts of bizarre characters. On being a "good female character," I don't know why she or anyone else in MGS should have the burden of representing their gender. And even if we were to go down that route, i'd put her on the positive end with her being the very opposite of a damsel in distress. She's also a partner and friend instead of a love interest, which is the road less traveled in any medium given the circumstances and amount of time Boss spends with her.

Her arc, her usefulness, and her song make her the heart of the game imo.
Substantive argument. I don't agree with all the points raised and maybe I'll come back later to discuss, but this is ground for actual discussion. This is where you can see divergence of perspectives and the differences between how people read things.

You are obviously not going to be able to have a conversation on this topic. Again, misogyny besides hatred for women is not an objective measure by which we can decide that the character is misogyny or does such a character not have a right to be in the medium.

I didn't try to insult you or accuse you specifically at all but you took it all as such. Same with this game and character. It is in the eye of the beholder you decide what you think but just because you think I said something I didn't doesn't make it true.

Hope you can find someone else to discuss this with instead.
This is gaslighting bullshit. It's not argument, it's thinly veiled personal attack, buried and hedged so you can get away with it. Do better.