• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

So I started watching this on Netflix, and while some of the comedy is dated, conceptually, it's amazing how much they got away with.

The meta-ness of the sketches is insane. They break the fourth wall constantly, and then chop what's left into tiny bits.

Hopefully the later seasons hold up as well.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Watch the movies too, Meaning of Life is my favorite and under appreciated . Everyone likes holy grail or life of brain more :(

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's really a fascinating mix of stuff that's too smart for television and too dumb to believe they came up with it. It can be incredibly well-written and then just straight-up silly. Really influential.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm a long time fan and will be getting the Bluray set of the TV series later in the year as part of the 50th anniversary of the show.
If they look half as good as the classic Doctor Who blurays, that'll be great.

Some of the stuff behind the scenes is amazing as well (how they ended up ownership of the mastertapes, the Life of Brian Backlash, etc), and a lot of that stuff is on Netflix as well.

based on some threads around here, some of the language will make some people's heads explode.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

previewbskg0.jpg

" You always talk, you Americans! You talk and you talk, and you say, " Let me tell ya somethin' " and " I just wanna say this "! Well you're dead now, so shut up!! "

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The final season after John Cleese left is only six episodes, and Cleese's absence from the cast is painful (though they did credit him for the writing in some of their sketches.) The continuation of this partnership in film was an unexpected joy. The best was yet to come.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
The albums are not to be missed too. A lot of great songs and audio renditions of their famous skits. When I was a kid, I think I owned just about all of them.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great show overall but Series 2 is on another level. One of the greatest seasons in television history.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much of the latter episodes fall flat honesty. I love the series and grew up with it, but the shows decline toward the end doesn't really get talked about enough.
kids in the hall is better
This is my favorite sketch

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really looking forward to the Limited Edition 50th Anniversary blu-ray set (all 45 episodes fully restored + unseen and excised footage, sketches and much more)

Non Limited Edition individual Series 1 - 4 blu-ray sets will be released at some point after too.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite thing Python are responsible for isn't actually directly a Python thing, but it's some beautiful satire.

When Life is Brian was released, there was a deeply uncomfortable interview/debate between then and some notable religious broadcasters who regarded it as blasphemous. Includes rare scenes Michael Palin being angrier than John Cleese!

...but that's not the real treat. The delight is when the satirical sketch show Not The Nine O'Clock News latched onto this...:

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Quite a few years since I last watched a whole episode. But I really, really love Flying Circus. Love the insanity, silliness, the stream-of-consciousness presentation and the way they just went for it, which made even the lesser bits work in the context of the whole episode.
Although I recently rewatched Holy Grail and Life of Brian, and they both fell a bit flat for me, besides a few really good moments. That was disappointing, seeing as I thought of Life of Brian as one of the best comedies of all time. Really want to rewatch the whole of Flying Circus soon (also, Meaning of Life), hoping and thinking that that holds up better to me.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Holy Flying Circus, a docudrama about the Life of Brian period, is quite fun. In particular Michael Cochrane and Roy Marsden are wonderfully disgusting as Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark in the television debate with Cleese and Palin about whether Life of Brian was blasphemous.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it is great, but at the same time, there are some sketches that do go on longer than they should have. But if you like them, be sure to pick up Do Not Adjust Your Set and At Last the 1948 Show as well.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite thing Python are responsible for isn't actually directly a Python thing, but it's some beautiful satire.

When Life is Brian was released, there was a deeply uncomfortable interview/debate between then and some notable religious broadcasters who regarded it as blasphemous. Includes rare scenes Michael Palin being angrier than John Cleese!

...but that's not the real treat. The delight is when the satirical sketch show Not The Nine O'Clock News latched onto this...:

watching the talk show clip and it's really incredible how this malcolm person shows that racist religious talking points have not changed at all in the last 40 years.

"you couldn't make this movie about mohammed, the muslims and anti-racists would destroy you"
"western civilization is entirely based on christianity and is sadly in decline"
"all the great art and artists in the last 2000 years are part of the tradition you're mocking"

i could go on twitter right now and find guys with avatars of marble statues or renaissance paintings saying exactly the same things this instant.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
watching the talk show clip and it's really incredible how this malcolm person shows that racist religious talking points have not changed at all in the last 40 years.

"you couldn't make this movie about mohammed, the muslims and anti-racists would destroy you"
"western civilization is entirely based on christianity and is sadly in decline"
"all the great art and artists in the last 2000 years are part of the tradition you're mocking"

i could go on twitter right now and find guys with avatars of marble statues or renaissance paintings saying exactly the same things this instant.

Yeah, it's very much "the more things change, the more things stay the same".

A few years ago the BBC made a comedy dramatisation about the controversy.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Case in point about "straight-up silly".

Interesting thing here is it's just a basic slapstick gag with a bit of misdirection to set the scene. Just about any Laurel and Hardy film will have variations of the same gag. The absurdist humour of the setting is the bit that appears silly, but almost anybody will howl with laughter at the resolution.

Nov 28, 2017
OP, enjoy the best sketch comedy ever. I'm happy that Netflix picked it up for younger generations to see.
As I was growing up in the 80s, Monty Python was a staple of late-night Croatian TV, I grew up on it and most of my sense of humor is derived on the black humor of Monty Python and Alan Ford comic book.
Do watch the movies as well, Life of Bryan is my favorite.
And some of my favorite sketches: (who am I kidding, all of them are my favorite)

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The fact things would just hit you blindside over and over with the sheer absurdity smoothing the transitions made it. "You just left bonkers, now New Bonkers!" Brilliant Stupidity.