• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 29, 2018
So I got a Switch in 2018; it is my first Nintendo console. Although I had seen mario as a child at friends and played a few games on my cousins GBA as far as what I had actually owned, it was dreamcast, sony, microsoft, pc, for some reason never Nintendo. And I gotta say as a relatively new Nintendo consumer I am feeling pretty.......pretty uhm, I'm confused

love/hating something is not something I usually do. I love to love/love, and sometimes I certainly hate/hate, but NINTENDO??!?!! This company got me all crossed up. As someone who plays mostly indies anyways and who has been really impressed by the insane amounts of polish in their first parties I've been a pretty happy Switch owner at times. It has been the perfect platform for some of my favorite games (hollowknight, Celeste), retro games are cool and games like zelda botw, mario and smash have incredible mechanical polish on top of an art style that makes them feel timeless, well justifying the 60 dollar price tag. I really love the form factor of handheld, play more games then ever, and also with the current discussion going on feel pretty great about not supporting crunch. It's like cruelty free gaming pretty admireable. There are just some decisions that seem kind of baffling not only when looking at their competitions standards but really their own. Like dude

Did I just watch a direct that told me to use an app on my phone to talk with my friends? Did they really consider not including online with friends in mario maker 2? And while Sony and Microsoft are adding backwards compatibility Nintendo is literally just like...
maxresdefault.jpg

...I'm good dudes, lets actually remove the option to buy classic titles and just repackage them with like one new feature and sell it for way more sound cool? Cool. Oh ports from the Wii U, 60 dollars cool? Cool. (I mean I'm pretty cool with it but people that owned Wii U?). Oh so that online we said we were gonna improve well actually nope cool? Oh Nintendo you silly dogs, sure guys

And I'm like no no no, not cool guys c'mon, but the general audience for Nintendo outside of these forums and many on just don't really care that much or like me are being wrestled by their love into doing stupid things that they kinda sorta hate. So much so that third party companies like Capcom have decided to do the same with things like DmC instead of collection and handling of REseries. They've seen opportunity to apply a switch tax even when it feels really unjustifiable, and it just seems like they have managed to completely detach from the race to the bottom that you see on PC, Playstation and Xbox. That is another thing I love/hate because good games should be rewarded, things like gamepass and PSnow make me wonder if indies and more middling but still good titles loose value in the eyes of many because they assume those services will have them eventually. At the end of the day though dude, don't charge people 30 for RE4, 50 for FFX, it's ridiculous. Also it is worth noting that even when games do go on sale for Switch, compared to the frequency and quality of the sales on other consoles it is super underwhelming

At the end of the day though I have never, ever owned and beaten a 3d platformer that plays as well as Mario Odyssey, Zelda botw is an intimately laid out classic that I <3, even the series of theirs that I am not into Nintendo is clearly giving it 110% this generation. Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Kirby, they are not for me but it is clear that over at Nintendo they care about pleasing the fans and they care about the medium, that just feels good. Indies are releasing some of the best games period and playing them in handheld has been super fun. Never expected full AAA experiences on my Switch, have my ps4 for that, and honestly outside of earlier this year have played my Switch consistently more. Overall although Nintendo deserves a swift kick to the shin for some super tone def decisions regarding online, infrastructure and pricing I really love them still, and maybe that is y they will never ever, change -_-

Anyway that is my little Nintendo rant about how I feel as a new Nintendo consumer, love for the most part I think maybe but definite tantrums when they've dragged me along with some pretty outrageous business practices please stop Nintendo please.

Anyone else hop on for the First time for the Switch? How do you guys feel? How do long term Nintendo fans feel about how they have handled things so far? Help me be less confused

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo definitely has some issues with things like online services, but they're still my favorite publisher in terms of the sheer quality of games they put out

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan, and aside from first party software (which is the most important aspect of a Nintendo console), I've found the Switch to be wildly underwhelming. All the missing features you talked about, terrible eShop navigation, no cloud saves for Pokémon or Animal Crossing. No friend features. No themes or folders. No virtual console, which was easily one of the biggest selling point of Wii, Wii U and 3DS. I love the games but everything else is ehh

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's always shit that pops up with Nintendo that makes them seem 10 years behind everyone else.

But their A-game in their software and gameplay design usually helps people move passed those frustrations.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
As someone who's pretty much always been a massive Nintendo fan, you just have to learn to take the good with the bad.

They do a lot of stupid shit, that's for sure, but the insane quality of their output is insane. They truly are a one-of-a-kind company.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy but also incredibly annoyed by how uninfluenced by almost anything they seem to be lol
That's a blessing too, though. While most publishers try to make money out of comsetics, preying on gambling addicts and are heavily invested in GaaS, Nintendo is just like...there.
If they do a GaaS once like Splatoon, they just shit out so much free content you're barely able to catch up if you come back after a while. It's crazy. (Yes I know there are pubs like Sony who are still alright with this stuff, and devs like From who refuse to prey after your wallet).

Do I wish they would finally stop their online nonsense and bring fucking SNES games on their service? Sure. But in almost every other aspect they are better than most.
THey come across as really boneheaded sometimes, but that's not always a negative. Unlike other devs (cough Team Sonic cough) they are really good at preserving what makes them special.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All 10 of us are pretty fine with it.
I'm fine because I got the best version of Mario Kart 8 anyway: the one with fire hopping. 😏

Anyway, it's pretty wild that you are just now hopping aboard the Nintendo Wagon OP. Glad to see you're having a good time, for the most part.

(Also you missed out on free online service I'm so so sorry.)

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I absolutely adore Nintendo with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

I also have lots of rants about their online offerings, Mario Odyssey, and other things they've done as publishers/developers.

All in all at the end of the day Nintendo gives me what I like, great games on a great platform with a gameplay focused direction as opposed to the "we really want to be movies" direction. And they're one of the few teams left giving AA/Indies a huge platform to be successful on for those of who don't want open worlds or "cinematic" games. That's not to say Nintendo's offerings are poor by any means in the story and such department, (to me) but I prefer their focus on gameplay before anything else.

I'll complain about their online and voice app all day long but I'd still not back any other party as hard as I back Nintendo. But I'm also a person who has always prefered solo experiences in games sans a choice few situations and hate "social" elements being shoved into every platform. So I'm in the minority I think.

Glad you can take the bad with the good. You never have to be a blind fanboy. I'm glad you at least are enjoying some of your time with Nintendo.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just want to say that it's not Nintendo's fault that the FF and RE remasters cost so damn much, even digitally.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
As a Wii U owner I was incredibly disappointed that they offered no BC or discount for digital owners of titles that got ported to Switch. At the same time, as a Wii U owner, I saw Nintendo get shit on all the fucking time for having confusing controller options (which was 100% BC with Wii controllers and far and away the most generous offering from the consoles), they got shat on for sticking with 100% Wii BC since it was blamed for having an older weaker chipset, and they got shat on for charging for Wii U versions of their Wii VC games even though they had full BC and it was free unless you wanted newer features. It's important to remember that Xbox One had no BC at all when this was going on and PS4 still has no BC - just a handful of games that carried over from PS3 at launch and that was about it.

So on the one hand, I'm disappointed, but on the other I totally fucking get it and can't really blame them.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
And while Sony and Microsoft are adding backwards compatibility Nintendo is literally just like...

...I'm good dudes, lets actually remove the option to buy classic titles and just repackage them with like one new feature and sell it for way more sound cool? Cool. Oh ports from the Wii U, 60 dollars cool? Cool.
Funny thing is, historically, out of the 3, Nintendo has been the best at backward compatibility, believe it or not.

DS plays GBA games
3DS plays DS games
Wii plays GameCube games
Wii U plays Wii games

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Best games in the biz, baby!

They're also batshit insane sometimes

It's oddly endearing tbh

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is a strange little company in all of the best and worst ways. It's why a lot of us love them and have our grievances with them too. Their online stuff has always been pretty shit compared to everyone else so, yeah, I totally feel you on that. It bothers me too. It's reallu my only real big issue with the system right now

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wait... Backwards compatibility on the switch? You want the switch to be backwards compatible???

The discs don't fit, Tortoise

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Nintendo. They're slow as fuck and they don't listen to anybody. The absolute most thickheaded company in the world, right after Apple.
They just make great games. And we buy them.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I can forgive them for their flaws most of the time. I'm not one to get outraged over simple stuff.

I use Discord to communicate with my friends playing multiplayer on any platform, so that never bothered me. The Wii U ports have been great for me. The spotty online and online modes is really the only thing that irks me.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I was almost in the same boat as you are.

I was a Sega kid until the Dreamcast was descontinued. I then bought a Playstation 2 and instantly converted myself into a Sony fanboy (not the bad type of fanboy). I had the PS2, PS3 and PS4 as my main consoles.

But I always had a thing for portables. Had a GameGear, Gameboy Advance, PSP and PS Vita. Loved them all.

Bought a Switch in 2017 (December) almost for the curiosity of it. PS Vita was basically dead (last game I bought was Danganronpa 3) and the 3DS was outdated, but I wanted a new portable system. The Switch being a hybrid system would fill the portable gap.

Oh man. Weird decisions aside (mobile app sucks and all), since then the Switch has become my main console, at least in time played. I still love my PS4 and play the exclusives (REmake2, GoW, Horizon, and stuff), if a 3rd party launches on both, the Switch is where I will buy it.

The exclusives are also surprisingly good. The only Nintendo games I played in my life, as far as I recall, were Mario 2 on the GBC, tried Zelda Ocarina of Time once on the N64, F-zero on the GBA and a buttload of Pokemon games (which I love).

I felt in love with Zelda with BoTW which has become one of my favorite games this generation, didn't enjoy much of Mario Odissey, LOVED DKC:TF, SSBU (never played a SSB before), and of course Pokemon games and all.

So, right now I'm a bit in the middle ground. Love my PS4 and all those high fidelity AAA games, but the Switch has taken my heart by surprise.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo in a nutshell.

-Exceptional in the HW ideas and gameplay departments.

-Abysmal and frustrating with their legacy content and general online features.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK that's nice and all but you've really not experienced the best of Nintendo until you play on Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero, Metroid Prime Federation Force and Paper Mario Sticker Star. Trust me on this one.

But seriously the best games are Majora's Mask, Mother3 and Galaxy 2.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, historically, out of the 3, Nintendo has been the best at backward compatibility, believe it or not.

DS plays GBA games
3DS plays DS games
Wii plays GameCube games
Wii U plays Wii games
And they throw all that out the window with what is essentially the ultimate machine for this kind of stuff. Its very disappointing. :(

Nintendo, you are ~literally~ leaving mountains of money on the table by not introducing a proper VC for Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a Switch in Dec. 2017 (I already had a used Wii, but I hate the damn thing due to motion controls).

I think I've turned it on maybe once since last autumn, and that was just to update it :/

I've concluded Nintendo simply ain't much for me, neither their games nor their hardware. Their games are generally either too lacking in story or just don't interest me, and their HW solutions have been various degrees of wonky since the N64. I pick up the odd exclusive here and there, but my PS4 gets all the multiplat love (and I vastly prefer Sony's exclusives anyway). The NES and SNES are gold though.

Jan 2, 2018
And while Sony and Microsoft are adding backwards compatibility Nintendo is literally just like...

What is this? You can only complain if a potential Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible.
In contrast to Microsoft Nintendo had hardware based backwards compatibility in the past, so you could play every GBA game on the NDS, every NDS game on the 3DS, every GC game on the Wii and every Wii game on the Wii U.

And they throw all that out the window with what is essentially the ultimate machine for this kind of stuff. Its very disappointing. :(

Nintendo alsways does hardware based backwards compability and that's just not possible with Wii U to Switch, but I'm sure that a potential Switch 2 could play every Switch game.
If you're complaining about the lack of Virtual Console, that's a different story.

OP
OP
Poised Turtoise
Aug 29, 2018
What is this? You can only complain if a potential Switch 2 isn't backwards compatible.
In contrast to Microsoft Nintendo had hardware based backwards compatibility in the past, so you could play every GBA game on the NDS, every NDS game on the 3DS, every GC game on the Wii and every Wii game on the Wii U.

Nintendo alsways does hardware based backwards compability and that's just not possible with Wii U to Switch, but I'm sure that a potential Switch 2 could play every Switch game.
If you're complaining about the lack of Virtual Console, that's a different story.
Lol why would I only be able to make the comparison if Switch 2 isn't backward compatible? Make all the excuses you want for them but virtual console could have ran on Switch easily, imo it isn't because they wanted to recharge people not only again but for more via really just small add ons

EDIT: My bad just finished I mean for the most part we agree

Jan 2, 2018
Lol why would I only be able to make the comparison if Switch 2 isn't backward compatible? Make all the excuses you want for them but virtual console could have ran on Switch easily, imo it isn't because they wanted to recharge people not only again but for more via really just small add ons

As I said, it's a different story if you're talking about the VR.
But why are you naming Sony as a positive example then? They aren't big on backwards compability with the PS4.

Apr 9, 2019
I came back from not playing games for years because of the Switch and BotW. You hopped on at the right time -- Nintendo's never been better.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is that friend you have in college that's the first to be dancing on a table wearing a lampshade and you're kind of embarrassed to know them, but they'll be the ones holding your hair back and bringing you water and slices of bread when you're hugging the porcelain bowl and you remember why they've been your best friend since kindergarten.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I'm in a similar position. Bought a Gamecube back in the day but only because it was £50 and incuded Resident Evil 4. Tried most of Nintendo's franchises on it but nothing really clicked. The worst thing about it was my gf at the time, now my wife, used to love Mario Party. God I hated that game. I'm quite competitive and can't cope with random bullshit or mechanics to balance a game.

Anyway, bought a switch last September for exactly the same reasons as OP. Because previous Nintendo franchises didn't click I'm not willing to pay the going rate. I understand Nintendo's business model is different from other publishers and it is what it is. Doesn't work for me but clearly works for them. I bought my wife Mario Party as a bit of a joke for Christmas and it's still in the wrapper. My son got Mario Kart which I play with him but God I hate it. More game balancing bullshit for players at the back.

I knew most of this before making my purchase but assumed it would make an awesome indie machine to replace my vita....but noooo. Third parties seem to think they can copy Nintendo's business model, conveniently forgetting they ain't fucking Nintendo. Latest example being Toki. I loved this game in the arcades and on the Amiga so was very interested in it, although £33 was a bit overpriced imo. A few weeks ago it got a 42% discount down to £17.99 and I was about to pull the trigger. Then it pops up on the ps4 as a new release with a launch price of £15.99! I don't know how any company can justify this kind of bullshit. Do they think "Nintendo games are expensive we can get away with this", and, "there are loads of crazy sales on psn we have to be priced competitively".

Now I know Nintendo are not responsible for other companies pricing policies but I wish they would ask other pubs why they are charging switch userw more than users of other systems. So far for me owning a switch has been an exercise in frustration.

As for the online stuff as an indifferent switch owner looking in I get the impression Nintendo refuse to offer the same solutions as other companies almost out of arrogance.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan, and aside from first party software (which is the most important aspect of a Nintendo console), I've found the Switch to be wildly underwhelming. All the missing features you talked about, terrible eShop navigation, no cloud saves for Pokémon or Animal Crossing. No friend features. No themes or folders. No virtual console, which was easily one of the biggest selling point of Wii, Wii U and 3DS. I love the games but everything else is ehh
I mean, eshop navigation is miles ahead of playstation.