• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

People aren't kidding when they compare this game to Zelda. Between the twin bosses and deflecting boss's attacks to the rainbow bridge, I do get some pretty heavy OOT vibes near the end. The game also has the same slow start that plagues some 3D Zelda games, but it happened to release before the one that actually started the trend (Twilight Princess), which I find funny. The slow text scroll in some scenes is also annoying.

However, the whole package is so damn good. I watched one of the concept videos that are in the gallery, and I am so glad that they find this timeless art style. From the music, to the gameplay, to the items, to the characters, it has Japanese mythology so deeply ingrained in its bones, and it is absolutely wonderful. And the ending sequence is just… Wow. I have heard "The Sun Rises" before playing the game and really liked it, but the context of the song as well as what comes before it elevates it to literal godhood. There are very few moments that I can feel a game radianting so hard with its raw energy, and this is definitely one of them.

I played it on Switch. Gyro has been a great help in the brush techniques, although I can definitely see why people prefer the Wii version before the HD version's release. However, the detection can be a bit dodgy at times.

If anyone reading this decides to play it, I have one advice: remember to search up the original PS2 credits with the song "Reset". It flows so much better and concludes the game better. A shame that Capcom refuses to include it.

Oh, and Ammy's a really good girl.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
incredible game, but damn you beat it fast. it took me this much on my second playthrough (HD on switch), and like 80 hours the first time on ps2

img_437280iie.jpg

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
incredible game, but damn you beat it fast. it took me this much on my second playthrough, and like 80 hours the first time

img_437280iie.jpg
80 hours for a gamecube-era Zelda like? Bruh. You're not the first person who says how long this game is. Is it just because of the slow text/pacing of the game? Or does this really have THAT much more content than a Twilight Princess or Wind Waker would?

Either way, I REALLY gotta reinstall this game when I clear up my back log a little more. I got it when it launched on switch but didn't put more than a couple hours into it... I think I just got the second brush ability or something

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80 hours for a gamecube-era Zelda like? Bruh. You're not the first person who says how long this game is. Is it just because of the slow text/pacing of the game? Or does this really have THAT much more content than a Twilight Princess or Wind Waker would?

Either way, I REALLY gotta reinstall this game when I clear up my back log a little more. I got it when it launched on switch but didn't put more than a couple hours into it... I think I just got the second brush ability or something
well that 80 hours was me playing the game on ps2 YEARS ago, literally trying to do everything and explore every inch of the world, and probably leaving the game running at times while i did other stuff. but 50-60 hours for a completionist run is normal for okami.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Can't speak to Windwaker since I never finished, but it took me about 2x as long to beat Twilight Princess than Okami. Took me about 70 hours to get through TP.

Both are fantastic.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Yay, I also started it yesterday on PS4. Played it on PS2, but never finished it at that time. But now I will finish it for sure.

FatherCashew

Dec 5, 2019
One of my favorites! I loved exploring this world and experiencing the art. The bestiary alone is a sight to behold.

And yeah, for all of the criticism the slow beginning gets, I feel like the payoff at the end made it all worth it. Few games nail the final moments as well as Okami. I got misty eyed the first time... everything comes together so beautifully.

I picked it up on sale on Switch again to replay it recently. The art style although still beautiful felt a bit more chaotic this time through. I'd love to see what they could do with a proper sequel. Might "crisp" things up a bit. Also, maybe rethink the dialogue chatter (I'm looking at you, Issun). ;)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite games ever.
While the dungeons leave something to be desired in terms of puzzles, the brush is the most genius Zelda-like item ever, and easily tops the Ocarina or any other key item from the Zelda series for me.

The combat, while really easy, is also more engaging than any of the Zelda games.

Every character is fun, the atmosphere is fantastic, and the soundtrack truly is one of the best ever made.

I'm really glad for every new person who experiences this gem, because seeing how something like Dragons Dogma sells 5 times as much and is way more likely to get a sequel, I get sad.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Got a key that I was thinking about giving away. Might actually give it a try. I heard the game was really long, didn't want to commit to 80 hours of playing the same thing. I can definately do 40 hours.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
S'aright. I didn't like the arena-combat and the dungeons were a joke. I still like it though, but I never got why it was praised as much as it was.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the PS4 version a while ago and played it but....the CONSTANT interruptions with dialogue and tutorials kept me from getting very far.

I also played it on the Wii when it came out and it didn't bother me back then. Guess I got a little more impatient as I've grown older.
Shame because when you aren't interrupted it's a great game.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
One of my all-time favourites. It's got some pacing issues, especially early on, but it does such a fantastic job at placing accents on everything I value in a game. It puts a lot of emphasis on its locations and characters, and I love how much the world reacts to your character abilities. It even has two of my favourite location tropes:
- Lilliput worlds, where you're tiny and everyday things are colossal. It does this multiple times throughout the adventure, and I wish it had more of it.
- Enemy village, where you can see them live their lives, and be more than just punching bags. Infinitely charming.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Okami is my second-favorite game of all time and the Switch port is the best version of it IMO. Loved reading your post and can totally relate — hearing "The Sun Rises" in the game's proper context is one of those genuinely special gaming experiences you never forget.

But goddamn, you sure did finish it fast. There's no way that's 100% or even close, right?

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Never got the hype about it, I think it is easily worse than all the 3D Zeldas. It has one of the most boring and slow paced starts of any game I can think of and the game is constantly stopping you with incredibly slow moving text boxes. The combat and puzzles are also incredibly easy. It does look beautiful though.

OP
OP
VZ_Blade

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But goddamn, you sure did finish it fast. There's no way that's 100% or even close, right?

incredible game, but damn you beat it fast. it took me this much on my second playthrough (HD on switch), and like 80 hours the first time on ps2

I was surprised too, since HLTB has it at 34 hours for just the main story. Then I realized that I pretty much tunnel vision myself into the main quest for the second half of the game. It's the game's fault for flowing so well haha.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously, literally, just purchased Okami HD just now and this thread popped up. Excited to finally play through this game, especially since I still have quite a ways to go for FFVII remake.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I really tried to like this game and at times the music and visuals are breathtaking but I found a lot of the time I was fighting the camera and it's angles. Eventually I gave up

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the PS4 version a couple years ago and the constant interruptions and halts were my largest complaint. Solutions were spoiled to practically everything. The game flow and pacing crumbled too often because the script just couldn't get out of its own way.

I would also argue the combat got so tedious and dull given the lack of challenge. With minimal effort you overflow with demon fangs because you just out-pace everything with a couple upgrades on whatever. It felt absurd as I earned even more damaging weapons and equipment.

Still, I did have fun with it. There is a lot to like, the art, music, and the novelty is worth experiencing. I wouldn't rank it as highly as I feel the internet feels about it. Competent in many ways, but equally as flawed in others.