Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
1582483408_788923_1582483997_noticia_normal.jpg

After about 12 hours of gameplay, I've finally finished my Outer Wilds playthrough. It has surpassed my expectations... by a lot.

It's really hard to describe why this game is as wonderful as it is without going into spoilers territory, but I feel like I've never played anything like this before. I also feel like I'll never play anything like this ever again.

For those who don't know, Outer Wilds is a game about space exploration. You're a rookie astronaut that is finally allowed to leave their planet with a very tiny and flimsy ship. And so you do. And once you do... you can go anywhere. Literally anywhere. There's a whole solar system available to you. Do you want to go to that weird planet first? Go there! The game won't stop you. There's nothing, and I mean literally nothing locked from the beginning. You can beat the game in 30 minutes if you know what you're supposed to do... but that's not the point.

GroundedDefiantHackee-size_restricted.gif

Outer Wilds shines when you're finding new things. New planets, new mechanics, new writings on the wall from that mysterious alien race. You don't unlock anything. You don't upgrade anything. You just learn. You get familiarized with how this universe works, and you play around with it. You find a new piece of information, and that leads you somewhere else where you can use that new piece of information to find yet another piece of information.

Each planet has its own dangers, its own traits and its own way of letting you move around... and you may need to go to a different planet to understand how to move around in this one. It's like a huge, beautiful puzzle that spans a whole solar system, and it works. Oh my god, it really works.

The time loop mechanic is fantastic and I refuse to go into details because the first time you find out when and why the time loops... Well, let's just say it's not something you'll forget easily.

I could go on forever about this game, but I want to let everyone find out by themselves why I felt the need to create a threat talking about it. Please give it a shot. You won't regret it.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game. It's a bit more survival-ly, but anyone who enjoyed Outer Wilds should check out Subnautica. Without spoiling anything, a lot of the great qualities of Outer Wilds are shared between the two games.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Criminally underrated. There were so many "BoTWs" this generation and people just keep missing them. This generation has been absolutely amazing for unique, revolutionary games that rethink a set genre in a very good way.

Outer Wilds is one of them.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yes!
I totally agree, I put it right up there with Portal for it's inventiveness in design.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Easily one of my favourite gaming experiences ever. Incredible achievement.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Criminally underrated. There were so many "BoTWs" this generation and people just keep missing them. This generation has been absolutely amazing for unique, revolutionary games that rethink a set genre in a very good way.

Outer Wilds is one of them.
it was only underrated by people who didnt play it/got to play it late

i saw it in several goty lists for xbox. including mine.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Two weeks ago I picked up this game on PC. I played it every night until I beat it. The only word I can use to describe it is sublime. The mystery. The exploration. The discovery. The environments. The timing. Everything was just so god damn good.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
It's ok but is not a looker, although with a bigger budget I'm sure the sequal will be a system seller being built from the ground up on Series X and if it's a deeper more fleshed put RPG it will print money.

Edit: I read thread title as Outer Worlds lol my bad

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It's a masterpiece, and I don't think anything will ever make me feel what the game makes you feel. It's a unique game, and a unique piece of art.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favourites for sure! The idea of having all the mechanics there from the beginning and making the progress about learning to use them is simple and brilliant. It's an incredible sensation when it all starts to unravel.

OP
OP
Greywaren

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Fantastic game. It's a bit more survival-ly, but anyone who enjoyed Outer Wilds should check out Subnautica. Without spoiling anything, a lot of the great qualities of Outer Wilds are shared between the two games.

I've been meaning to give Subnautica a shot but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the survival aspects of it. If it's similar to this one, I may be more eager to try it.

Outer Wilds is the best game of 2019.

It is. Without any doubt.

Yes, son. Also one of the scariest, anxiety-inducing games, IMO.

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I've felt genuine fear and anxiety playing this. It's been a while since that's happened to me.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I respect the hell out of this game and would recommend everyone try it, but it was so deeply uncomfortable to play for me that I had to drop it. And that's 100% a result of the game being effective at what it's doing, but it ain't for me.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The feeling of mastery at the end of the game, when you've just totally internalized the clockwork and can plot out several errands to do, is so good.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Tried it for a couple of hours but the open vastness of space was too much for me. Seems like a great game, though.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember another game grabbing me like this one did in a long time. I even played it with my daughter which made it even better as we explored around together.

A+/10

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I am on the fence because I am juggling gamepass and steam. I don't know if I want to add roc to my list of just wait for the steam release.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourites for sure! The idea of having all the mechanics there from the beginning and making the progress about learning to use them is simple and brilliant. It's an incredible sensation when it all starts to unravel.
The moment I
launched the probe into the quantum moon, took a picture, and it worked
was so gratifying.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great game, never did finish it though. I landed on
the phantom moon
or whatever it was and got sidetracked by other games. I remember people saying the ending was amazing so I should probably go back and finish it at some point.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Agree, i played last years and has become my favourite game ever. It's a narrative roguelike, i highly doubt there will be something like this.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The moment I
was so gratifying.

I spent so long trying to set that up the wrong way. For whatever reason I didn't realize I could just take one picture and be done, I thought that once the moon had moved out of the frame of that picture it would disappear or something. So I tried to stick my probe to the debris from the cannon circling Giant's Deep and get the quantum moon to spawn there so I could constantly take pictures of it. It was a mess lmao.

Sly

May 11, 2018
I recently finished it myself and can only second your post OP. It was an outstanding experience.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
How does the save system work?

I played it for about an hour through Gamepass, talked to everyone and translated everything to my kids, raced a model space ship, took my time and explored, it finally felt like I was about to take off with the ship, then I did some hide and seek side quest and fell down a water fall and died, no save, had to start over.
Instantly uninstalled it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does it play well on console or is the optimal experience on PC?
It plays best with a controller even on PC. Even has a splash screen. That said the console versions run 'acceptably' where PC runs well.

I played it for about an hour through Gamepass, talked to everyone and translated everything to my kids, raced a model space ship, took my time and explored, it finally felt like I was about to take off with the ship, then I did some hide and seek side quest and fell down a water fall and died, no save, had to start over.
It autosaves every time you die. There is a specific event you can't miss on the home planet that you need to see before it starts doing that, but there's also not actually anything to save - you could restart and just NOT talk to everyone and it would be exactly the same, so you didn't lose any progress.

This is a game where the only things you retain are an accumulation of knowledge, and a log on your ship of rumors you've heard about, not necessary to complete the game but that DOES save just so you don't have to keep copious notes.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost unbelievable how good it is. The inventiveness is off the charts. I played it on Xbox Gamepass and the performance was pretty rough, and I'd say sometimes the game is a bit obtuse, but overall it was an absolutely stellar game. If you like exploration, unraveling a mystery and no handholding you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's something special.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greywaren

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The moment I
was so gratifying.

Easily one of my favorite moments in the whole game, along with
accidentally finding out how to get into the Ash Twin Project by trying to run away from the column of sand.

You have to wait until a certain event. I'd rather not disclose what it is exactly for new people, but it happens roughly 20 minutes after leaving the ground for the first time. Give it a try another time if you want to, it's a wonderful moment and it's just the beginning of the rest of a wonderful experience.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

The only thing that saves is when you make a new discovery and it gets added to your ship log, but that's all just information, like a codex. Nothing in the game is gated by progression

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There's very little saving going on. You do not accumulate items, exp, or permanently progress the world. The things you learned are what matter, so you could start tomorrow on a different system and be fine

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

That's is just the tutorial section, the game doesn't save in the traditional way, as part of it's design. Dying is an integral part of the game.
Once you are past that you will see how the save system works, that's all I will say.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
It's the kind of game that makes you glad you stopped and smelled the pine trees along the way, you know?
I spent so long trying to set that up the wrong way. For whatever reason I didn't realize I could just take one picture and be done, I thought that once the moon had moved out of the frame of that picture it would disappear or something. So I tried to stick my probe to the debris from the cannon circling Giant's Deep and get the quantum moon to spawn there so I could constantly take pictures of it. It was a mess lmao.
I had the same thought lol
I shot the probe on the surface of Timber Hearth so it was facing towards the moon as the planet rotated. I took snapshots over and over to keep the moon in frame as I flew towards it. Needless to say I made it way more complicated than necessary. But attempting to be quick nearly killed me as I smashed into the moon's surface and my ship fell apart. After all that effort I wasn't going to get another shot until the next cycle.