• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So I feel like almost no one here is going to agree with this, but I've been binge watching it over the past month for the first time and it really isn't great.

I guess I enjoyed it well enough, but I didn't even find it particularly funny, I barely laughed during the entirety of watching the series. It's no where near as funny or good as the highs of the The Office with Michael Scott. And unlike Scranton it's like we're supposed to care about Pawnee, Indiana when nearly all the citizens there outside the main cast seem incredibly annoying and awful. Watching Leslie care about Pawnee is sort of like watching Batman trying to save Gotham except Gotham has more redeeming qualities.

The town is incredibly sexist especially with how it deals with Leslie on TV. There's an episode that hasn't aged well at all where it seems like the whole town wants her to resign because of gay penguins. Most of the women in Pawnee are sex crazed. Again, most of the recurring characters are incredibly annoying and/or awful people. Jean-Ralphio. Jean-Ralphio's sister. Jean-Ralphio's father. Bill Dexhart, the councilman always involved in sex scandals. Jeremy Jamm. The Douche. Joan Callemezzo, the TV host. Marcia Langman, the racist and homophobic person with the gay husband. It's really weird how it's made out as a joke how Ron's first ex-wife Tammy who delivered him and was his school teacher also sexually abused him as a kid. The whole town loving Bobby Newport. Literally everyone who appears in the town halls. I could go on.

I mean, I know this stuff isn't meant to be taken too seriously and it's a comedy, but it makes it harder to care about the characters like Leslie who do care about Pawnee. A lot of the time, especially during the final season, she just seems over the top insane.

Among the main cast, even Tom Haverford, who I liked at first, became more and more annoying as the show went on and I just didn't care for him whatsoever by the end. And the bullying of Garry goes too far. Ben was very meh, Chris (Rob Lowe) was annoying more often that not.

On the other hand, for some positives, because it certainly wasn't all bad. Season 3 was the high point for me I think and when I was consistently enjoying the show. I did appreciate how the Leslie vs Bobby Newport kind of predicted parts of the 2016 election. Ron and April were by far the best parts of this show and probably why I stuck with it. We needed a lot more of April, especially in the early seasons. The cameos were great and unexpected, I had no idea John McCain or Joe Biden were going to appear. Maybe best of all, Dutch from Red Dead Redemption.

I just finished watching the finale, and it seems it got a positive reception, but it did not work for me, at all. First, just regarding the final season in general, it's funny how Season 7 was made in 2015 but set in 2017, not knowing what would happen with Trump and having Leslie as assistant secretary at the US Department of Interior. And it's like 2017 was some far off futuristic year, the whole cast has completely transparent futuristic phones and tablets that are no where close to being a thing today. But for the finale specifically, the jumping around in time just came out of the blue and I couldn't connect with or care about these events with it feeling so disjointed and also unusually sci-fi.

Anyway, it probably sounds like I hated the series and I really didn't. Ron and April were great. To its credit it never consistently reaches the lows of the later seasons of The Office or Community. But towards the end it really felt like a chore watching, and I'll probably never go back to it again. Maybe it was better fit for weekly viewing than binge watching.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I uh, never noticed the advanced technology at all and I love this show.

Ron Swanson the GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
th

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, we're opposites. I don't find anything in The Office funny, but Parks and Rec regularly gets me laughing. I've gone through it about three times now.

I agree with your points about Tom and Gerry. You're also the only other person besides me I've seen compare Leslie to Batman. :P I think she and Bruce have many similar qualities.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, we're opposites. I don't find anything in The Office funny, but Parks and Rec regularly gets me laughing. I've gone through it about three times now.

I agree with your points about Tom and Gerry. You're also the only other person besides me I've seen compare Leslie to Batman. :P I think she and Bruce have many similar qualities.
Same! I love parks and rec but the office is okay!

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
Whilst it probably went on one series longer than it should have done, I really liked Parks and Rec. The characters (mostly) played well off each other although I do agree with the OP that the treatment of Jerry got a bit much.

Knope 2020.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you strike the first seasons of both the Office and Parks & Rec from consideration, Parks is by far the more consistent show.

Parks doesn't have an Andy and it is far better for it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I was expecting you to say the first season and I was gonna say to keep watching but man you already finished.

I'm not sure if it reaches the highs of US office season 2-3 but it sure as shit is more consistent and a better overall show

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
If you strike the first seasons of both the Office and Parks & Rec from consideration, Parks is by far the more consistent show.

Parks doesn't have an Andy and it is far better for it.
But Parks & Rec does have an Andy... But yeah. Andy from the Office started out well enough but the creators just didn't know what to do with him afterwards and made him a miserable character.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I can see the point about Jerry, but I think what helped there is the dude legitimately had a great home life and was still very happy. Helped balance it and kept it from being too much. Compare to Superstore and Sandra, where her entire life is just shit, and that show makes it seem so much more mean (I haven't seen the past couple seasons yet so I dunno if they eventually tone that down).

Also yeah the town is garbage, but that's sorta the point. You're supposed to laugh at how dumb and frustrating they all are, and it's so endearing that Leslie can still be so full of sunshine while constantly dealing with an endless supply of doofuses.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
not a huge fan of it either really

most of the characters dont really hit for me and so it leaves a lot of dead air between funny moments

like i dont enjoy chris pratt or aziz ansari in it and so anytime they are around it drags

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

and yeah I thought season 3 and 4 were the best of parks and rec, it dipped around season 5 or 6 I forget which and then bumped back up

The final season was weird but the advanced technology was on purpose despite it only being a 2 year gap, that's part of the joke I guess

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The future stuff was clearly a joke, and I loved it. The tablets that doubled as skateboards? The various pop culture references (eg Hitch 2: Son of Hitch)? It wasn't sci fi, it was farce. And it was glorious.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The future stuff was clearly a joke, and I loved it. The tablets that doubled as skateboards?
I don't know how that's supposed to be actually funny though

The one part about that whole thing that was both funny and awesome was Ron shooting a drone out of the air and showing up with it at Leslie's door in the rain.

Sousourocket

Oct 26, 2017
I love Parks and Rec but tbh giving Jerry a nice home life feels like an attempt to pull back on being so mean way late in the game. The show very weakly tries to be like ok it is a little mean and I just don't like what it does for the char of someone like Leslie who's supposed to be so good and sweet but still has no problem acting like a bully with that guy. And Tom becomes more unbearable to me on repeat viewings, but despite all that it's really an amazing show.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Best town since Springfield, and honestly Parks is probably the most optimistic show ever -- gotta love it for that. Also, it's funny as fuck once it gets going in s2 and doesn't let up the entire way. We could only wish for government like them.

Really is a special show and probably my favourite, or tied with 30 rock and classic Simpsons.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I love Parks and Rec but tbh giving Jerry a nice home life feels like an attempt to pull back on being so mean way late in the game. The show very weakly tries to be like ok it is a little mean and I just don't like what it does for the char of someone like Leslie who's supposed to be so good and sweet but still has no problem acting like a bully with that guy.
It's also weird how Jerry comes out of retirement to be bullied by his coworkers daily once again.

I mean, yes it's a comedy, but the Jerry stuff was overplayed and wasn't even funny by that point. Should have just let the poor guy stay retired.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I feel like almost no one here is going to agree with this, but I've been binge watching it over the past month for the first time and it really isn't great.

I guess I enjoyed it well enough, but I didn't even find it particularly funny, I barely laughed during the entirety of watching the series. It's no where near as funny or good as the highs of the The Office with Michael Scott. And unlike Scranton it's like we're supposed to care about Pawnee, Indiana when nearly all the citizens there outside the main cast seem incredibly annoying and awful. Watching Leslie care about Pawnee is sort of like watching Batman trying to save Gotham except Gotham has more redeeming qualities.

The town is incredibly sexist especially with how it deals with Leslie on TV. There's an episode that hasn't aged well at all where it seems like the whole town wants her to resign because of gay penguins. Most of the women in Pawnee are sex crazed. Again, most of the recurring characters are incredibly annoying and/or awful people. Jean-Ralphio. Jean-Ralphio's sister. Jean-Ralphio's father. Bill Dexhart, the councilman always involved in sex scandals. Jeremy Jamm. The Douche. Joan Callemezzo, the TV host. Marcia Langman, the racist and homophobic person with the gay husband. It's really weird how it's made out as a joke how Ron's first ex-wife Tammy who delivered him and was his school teacher also sexually abused him as a kid. The whole town loving Bobby Newport. Literally everyone who appears in the town halls. I could go on.

I mean, I know this stuff isn't meant to be taken too seriously and it's a comedy, but it makes it harder to care about the characters like Leslie who do care about Pawnee. A lot of the time, especially during the final season, she just seems over the top insane.

Among the main cast, even Tom Haverford, who I liked at first, became more and more annoying as the show went on and I just didn't care for him whatsoever by the end. And the bullying of Garry goes too far. Ben was very meh, Chris (Rob Lowe) was annoying more often that not.

On the other hand, for some positives, because it certainly wasn't all bad. Season 3 was the high point for me I think and when I was consistently enjoying the show. I did appreciate how the Leslie vs Bobby Newport kind of predicted parts of the 2016 election. Ron and April were by far the best parts of this show and probably why I stuck with it. We needed a lot more of April, especially in the early seasons. The cameos were great and unexpected, I had no idea John McCain or Joe Biden were going to appear. Maybe best of all, Dutch from Red Dead Redemption.

I just finished watching the finale, and it seems it got a positive reception, but it did not work for me, at all. First, just regarding the final season in general, it's funny how Season 7 was made in 2015 but set in 2017, not knowing what would happen with Trump and having Leslie as assistant secretary at the US Department of Interior. And it's like 2017 was some far off futuristic year, the whole cast has completely transparent futuristic phones and tablets that are no where close to being a thing today. But for the finale specifically, the jumping around in time just came out of the blue and I couldn't connect with or care about these events with it feeling so disjointed and also unusually sci-fi.

Anyway, it probably sounds like I hated the series and I really didn't. Ron and April were great. To its credit it never consistently reaches the lows of the later seasons of The Office or Community. But towards the end it really felt like a chore watching, and I'll probably never go back to it again. Maybe it was better fit for weekly viewing than binge watching.
giphy.gif

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's also weird how Jerry comes out of retirement to be bullied by his coworkers daily once again.

I mean, yes it's a comedy, but the Jerry stuff was overplayed and wasn't even funny by that point. Should have just let the poor guy stay retired.
Jerry doesn't care about any of the bullying, he is the living embodiment of Pawnee's heart and soul.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like any of these shows about a bunch of coworkers except Brooklyn 99. I feel like that by far strikes the best balance of the character types.

Office, P&R, Superstore, and 30 Rock all fell very flat for me.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand your issues with it, though I absolutely love Parks and Rec. The whole point is that Pawnee is supposed to be this small, charming old school town that people always talk about, but is really terrible. Leslie wants it to be that charming town all the time, but is also super progressive and wants to fix that town because it's her home and where she grew up, so it's the one she wants to fix because it's what she's connected to. Also, I hardly think Gotham has more redeeming qualities. I don't think we know the same Gotham, but that's separate digression.

Pawnee is a constant reflection of pretty much, on the political scale, the worst version of the conservative side of the things barring straight up slurs and riots. The sex education, the gay penguin thing, the debate about Twilight, etc. A lot of terrible characters that are somehow charming is kind of the point. The city council reflects quite possibly every type of corrupt politician possible. Jamm is supposed to be Leslie's opposite. Dexhart is the sex scandal guy. The older one (I forget his name) is the "well no one runs against him so why not" which is why he's still in office guy. Everyone loved Newport because everyone loved Sweetums, which was a whole big storyline throughout the series, what with Pawnee being unhealthy (mega-diabetes) and Sweetums being the big corporate power in the town and the Newports running things.

A lot of the awful recurring characters is hilarious. One thing I'll argue though is the female recurring characters being sex-crazed: there's two that fit this bill that I can think of and that's Tammy 2 and Joan Calamezzo. Shauna Malway Tweep, Tom's ex-fiancee, Lucy, Lucy Lawless' character, Ingrid (Kristin Bell), Ethel Beavers, all don't really fit that bill. Mona Lisa is just a general psychopath.

Some of the stuff with the main characters is for sure true. Jerry goes a bit too far. He definitely goes from a disgruntled yet competent punching bag to completely incompetent and oblivious and still highly bullied by the end of the series. Personally I loved all the characters, but quite frankly after the election, Leslie starts to go downhill. She starts to do things that border on (and are, in some cases) highly manipulative to her friends that seem really horrible.

I can't argue the comparison to The Office though, but I will say that I feel it's still a strong series and certainly a consistently and much stronger sitcom than some I've watched. I love it to death.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I really can't get into The Office. I might go as far as saying I dislike it.

Anyway, I watched and enjoyed all of Parks and Rec about... 3-4 years ago? Even the finale. It was a great series, though the first season was awful.
I can't get into it now, I just find it kinda irritating. No idea what changed.

30 Rock is the best though. And Brooklyn 99.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Weird. I just chained Parks, and have been catching episodes of the office since I'm staying in a hotel. And I kinda hate the Office characters. Dwight is insane. Michael is an asshole. Which brings down the whole experience. Parks main cast characters are upbeat, happy, and fun to watch. Andy growing into a goofball, Leslie just being a cinnamon roll, Chris Traeger being positive to a fault, even Ron has his charming moments.

The characters of Parks alone puts it head and shoulders above the Office.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
It's a far sharper and funnier show than The Office (which for a show that ran for a decade, is surprisingly dull and gets old waaay fast), but I suppose it's not for everyone.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I actually agree with you. Parks has some great stuff, funny scenes and hilarious characters but I kinda mentally checked out by S3. I actually like both Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza way better in everything else they've done than in this.