• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
First time, it took me forever to get my controller working, because somehow this game insisted on thinking I wanted to use a Steam Controller. But anyway I got my DS4 working.

But it seems this game doesn't have any native controller support. Seems the devs jerry-rigged support for controller icons or something, because it's like the the right stick is really simulating a mouse instead of functioning like a right stick. "Controller" sensitivity is directly linked to mouse sensitivity so it all just feels like shit.

This is where Steam refunds would come into play, but unfortunately I bought this game a long a while and let it slip into my backlog. Oh well. Fuck it. Whatever.

The fuck was Arkane doing with this game. Both of their Dishonored games have zero issues in this regard. Apparently this shit was even worse somehow at launch.

p.s. I ain't playing with keyb/m, I like playing on PC with a controller.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, after reading about it, that definitely sucks. :( I never did buy it on Steam and all the procrastinating paid off with the Series X frame boost version.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Prey, but there is a possibility that Steam is railroading your controller as a mouse even though there is controller support. It happened to me with Dishonored 2 which is also by Arkane. Took some extra fiddling in Steam options.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
First time, it took me forever to get my controller working, because somehow this game insisted on thinking I wanted to use a Steam Controller. But anyway I got my DS4 working.

But it seems this game doesn't have any native controller support. Seems the devs jerry-rigged support for controller icons or something, because it's like the the right stick is really simulating a mouse instead of functioning like a right stick. "Controller" sensitivity is directly linked to mouse sensitivity so it all just feels like shit.

This is where Steam refunds would come into play, but unfortunately I bought this game a long a while and let it slip into my backlog. Oh well. Fuck it. Whatever.

The fuck was Arkane doing with this game. Both of their Dishonored games have zero issues in this regard. Apparently this shit was even worse somehow at launch.

p.s. I ain't playing with keyb/m, I like playing on PC with a controller.

Yeah they patched in Steam controller support and it completely fucked the controls. It also introduced a ton of microstutter if you move your view while moving because the view stick is just emulating a mouse input

I believe that pcgamingwiki has a file you can download that patches direct input back into the game which fixes everything.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I played the demo and had the same issues, didnt even bother with finishing the demo. Maybe i will play on a console someday. Shame that you can't refund it.

Edit: used the switch pro controller, so its not just a DS 4 issue

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I didnt have this problem using a Xbox One controller when the game first released. Had zero controller problems at launch.

Maybe support was broken in a patch or the game is having trouble with the DS4?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I don't recall having issues when I played it with an xbox controller but maybe something changed since then. Any suggested fixed on pcgw? Usually they're pretty good at collating common issues. Might also be worth using steaminput to force emulate a pad, or disabling it altogether. DS4Windows might be another alternative, or input plus or whatever the utility is called.

I think theres also a toggle in game to use steam controller or something. I think I had to turn that off.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
But it seems this game doesn't have any native controller support.
It has native steam input support.
It never seemed to take off (but might still with the Steam Deck).

That means you can switch between controllers at will, remap the controls as you see fit (binding actions rather than buttons), and the prompts will match whatever you configured it as - or whatever type of controller you're using.
Switch controller support arrived in Steam after Prey was released, but since it uses Steam Input, you get Switch controller prompts in the game, for example.
I believe they patched in an option in the menus to disable Steam Input if you prefer it.

As I understand it, Steam Input is based on mouse inputs for aiming because that bypasses whatever acceleration curves, deadzones, etc. the developer may have configured - so that you have full control over how the analog stick is used.
This allows two entirely different games, from different developers, to control the same. And it means that Gyro aiming should work as intended, unlike games that prevent simultaneous Gamepad & Mouse usage.
The downside, though - at least in Prey - is that I recall someone here saying it's not as smooth for aiming via analog sticks as XInput.
But I was alternating between a Steam Controller and Mouse & Keyboard when playing through it, so that was never a concern.

EDIT: This is the option you want, if you want to avoid Steam Input.
prey-controls_f9kkd.jpg

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox controller should work fine. I had no issues at all but I was playing the PC gamepass version.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So long as the game actually has native Xinput support, I'd try disabling Steam Input. Sometimes a developer's custom Steam Input configuration is worse than the regular controller support.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

Weirdly enough, Prey was developed with CryEngine, while Dishonored 2(probably 1 aswell but not sure) uses their proprietary engine, so that would likely explain the discrepancy.

I would highly recommend just giving kb+m a go, Prey is too good to miss. You could also try seeing if someone has released a Steam controller profile to your liking.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Weirdly enough, Prey was developed with CryEngine, while Dishonored 2(probably 1 aswell but not sure) uses their proprietary engine, so that would explain the discrepancy.

I would highly recommend just giving kb+m a go, Prey is too good to miss. You could also try seeing if someone has released a Steam controller profile to your liking.
Huh? Dishonored 1 used UE3 and Dishonored 2's engine used id Tech 6 as a base.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried playing with the controller in Big-Screen mode? You should see more controller options than just "steam controller" if you do that. At least, that's how other steam games seem to work in Big-Screen mode.

I haven't tried Prey on a controller so I guess someone else would be able to chime in and correct me.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I may have fixed my problems. I had to disable all steam input support directly in Steam's controller settings for this game and then use a 360 controller emulator (DS4Windows) to make my DS4 work with all that shit disabled lol. Controller finally has sensitivity settings of its own and it ain't linked to the mouse. Aiming doesn't really feel great still but whatever.

How utterly annoying. I'll give this game another shot when I'm less peeved off. I don't remember the last time, if ever, I had so many issues with running a game on Steam with a controller.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Wait so they patched this stuff in that ruined it? I remember trying to replay this on PC a few months ago and it running way worse than I remembered at launch.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
It has native steam input support.
It never seemed to take off (but might still with the Steam Deck).

That means you can switch between controllers at will, remap the controls as you see fit (binding actions rather than buttons), and the prompts will match whatever you configured it as - or whatever type of controller you're using.
Switch controller support arrived in Steam after Prey was released, but since it uses Steam Input, you get Switch controller prompts in the game, for example.
I believe they patched in an option in the menus to disable Steam Input if you prefer it.

As I understand it, Steam Input is based on mouse inputs for aiming because that bypasses whatever acceleration curves, deadzones, etc. the developer may have configured - so that you have full control over how the analog stick is used.
This allows two entirely different games, from different developers, to control the same. And it means that Gyro aiming should work as intended, unlike games that prevent simultaneous Gamepad & Mouse usage.
The downside, though - at least in Prey - is that I recall someone here saying it's not as smooth for aiming via analog sticks as XInput.
But I was alternating between a Steam Controller and Mouse & Keyboard when playing through it, so that was never a concern.

EDIT: This is the option you want, if you want to avoid Steam Input.
prey-controls_f9kkd.jpg
is there anyway to turn off steam input via steam big picture mode had some funny shenanigans when I was going through No More Heroes 1&2 had to turn a few things off but would like to on a global scale

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
is there anyway to turn off steam input via steam big picture mode had some funny shenanigans when I was going through No More Heroes 1&2 had to turn a few things off but would like to on a global scale
Outside of big picture mode, go to your steam library, right click on a game, select properties, go to Controller and select Disable Steam Input.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so they patched this stuff in that ruined it? I remember trying to replay this on PC a few months ago and it running way worse than I remembered at launch.
It used Steam Input from day one.

But the story is quite convoluted.
From what I recall: it initially supported both Steam Input and XInput simultaneously.
But this caused compatibility issues with some of the devices/input mappers people were using.

They originally removed XInput support in a patch, switching exclusively to Steam Input.
But people complained, so they brought it back by making it modal - so you had to switch via the options menu, rather than both running simultaneously.

But splitting the two broke one very specific config:
People that did want to use Steam Input with their controller, so that games would see their DualShock/other as an Xbox controller (rather than not work at all).​
But they did not want to use Prey's native Steam Input support - they wanted Steam Input to emulate XInput commands, so that the game treated it as an analog stick for aiming, rather than a mouse.​
But if you disable Steam Input, it isn't running to emulate an XInput device in that mode.​
So the solution for those users was to disable Steam Input and use another tool to remap the DualShock/other controller to XInput.
Frankly, the original state the game shipped in might have been best. That way you could use Steam Input to map the analog stick as a legacy input (XInput) without having to use third-party software.

Really, the main issues were that:
  1. People didn't realize they had to use mouse sensitivity instead of gamepad sensitivity, when Steam Input was active.
  2. Steam Input, when applied to an analog stick, doesn't handle constant-rate turning as smoothly as XInput.
It seems like the better solution would have been to fix those issues in the game instead - so that there would be no need for native XInput support at all.

Outside of big picture mode, go to your steam library, right click on a game, select properties, go to Controller and select Disable Steam Input.
You can disable it via Big Picture Mode, too.
It should also be there in the in-game overlay.
steaminput-bigpicturebmkfo.jpg

For what it's worth, I did notice another issue with this game's implementation of Steam Input: the controller order option is broken.
Which is very possibly a recent issue, since the game is four years old and a lot about Steam Input has changed since then.

I currently have one controller connected, and two virtual devices from a Razer keypad:
steam-devices_p5jd7.jpg

In most games, it's easy to reassign the controller order via the overlay, if it's a game where that matters.
celeste-xinput_mdkfz.jpg

(ignore that it says XInput)

But those options are not showing up in Prey, and it's only responding to the Razer keypad.
prey-xinput_utjz1.jpg

I had to go back to Steam's main controller config and hide the Razer devices for my gamepad to work at all in Prey.
This is not strictly Valve's fault, though. It's more on Microsoft making it nearly impossible to change gamepad order in Windows, and assigning the numbers at random.
It's possible that Steam's "Xbox Extended Features Support" could fix this, though. I haven't tried that since it installs another driver and requires a system restart.

But I don't recall this being a problem before.
I remember testing Steam Input in Prey quite thoroughly at launch, by switching between a Steam Controller, Xbox 360 controller, and DualShock 4 - because it was novel to see the prompts change automatically, as you switched controller.
But it's possible I was turning the controllers off in-between those switches. It was four years ago now, and I don't remember that detail.