• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
4f886e24-7af6-4947-809e-65b86cfcc5f1._CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464__.jpg

Just got PSVR with Astro Bot + Tetris Effect and boooy have I missed so much all this time!!

The PSVR setup is chaotic but I managed to hide all the cables nicely, the headset itself is comfortable to wear and well built - even with the glasses on.

Let's talk about the games and WOW how the experience blew me away!!

Tetris Effect

I started with Tetris since I played the demo before and could get into VR quickly in comparison. The blocks felt close and gigantic and so immersive for a game all about immersion. The gameplay is enhanced 100% with VR (no pun intended) and I found myself playing it for a long period of time (something I don't do in Tetris games, generally).

I recommend all PSVR owners to give it a shot!

Now let's talk about the main event: Astro Bot

My first impression for the game was: A colorful platformer with cute robots and some VR effects.

My impression after 3 levels: Happiness

The moment I started the game and saw the big villain get closer to me I knew I'm about to play something special, this a NATIVE VR EXPERIENCE through and through.

the game is built for VR from scratch, the platforming + level design + mechanics all are VR based and this attention to detail made me happier every minute I'm playing it. Trailers don't do this game justice at all.

Add to that the cute hero (gives me Wall-E vipe) + world design / beautiful music ... this game is GOTY material indeed and now I understand the high praise.

Can't wait to get back to these games and more VR (RE7!!!) after I platinum RE2.

Last edited:

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I could have written this thread. Welcome to the party, have fun, VR is a blast, Astro Bot is the CUTEST and you're going to have a lovely time around :) Don't forget to check Beat Saber and Superhot as well, they're not that expensive and it's basically arcade gaming, except the future of it.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it. Astrobot made me feel like an 8 year old at Christmas again. No other game has come close to doing that.

OP
OP
J 0 E

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I could have written this thread. Welcome to the party, have fun, VR is a blast, Astro Bot is the CUTEST and you're going to have a lovely time around :) Don't forget to check Beat Saber and Superhot as well, they're not that expensive and it's basically arcade gaming, except the future of it.
Thanks

I need PS Move for these games right?

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a plat former since Mario 64 that had me grinning from ear to ear at how fun, intuitive, and cute the game was. Tetris itself is just an experience. I can't even put words to it honestly.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Get Beat Sabre for the trifecta.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just got PSVR with Astro Bot + Tetris Effect and boooy have I missed so much all this time!!

The PSVR setup is chaotic but I managed to hide all the cables nicely, the headset itself is comfortable to wear and well built - even with the glasses on.

Tetris Effect

I started with Tetris since I played the demo before and could get into VR quickly in comparison. The blocks felt close and gigantic and so immersive for a game all about immersion. The gameplay is enhanced 100% with VR (no pun intended) and I found myself playing it for a long period of time (something I don't do in Tetris games, generally).

My first impression for the game was: A colorful platformer with cute robots and some VR effects.

The moment I started the game and saw the big villain get closer to me I knew I'm about to play something special, this a NATIVE VR EXPERIENCE through and through.

the game is built for VR from scratch, the platforming + level design + mechanics all are VR based and this attention to detail made me happier every minute I'm playing it.

Add to that the cute hero (gives me Wall-E vipe) + world design / beautiful music ... this game GOTY material indeed and now I understand the high praise.

Can't wait to get back to these games and more VR (RE7!!!) after I platinum RE2.
Welcome to the club. Now you have seen the light ;)
Astro bot <3

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

For other cuteness don't forget Moss. I really love the scale in that game too.
Astro Bot was my game of the year as well. It _is_ that good!

I haven't played a plat former since Mario 64 that had me grinning from ear to ear at how fun, intuitive, and cute the game was. Tetris itself is just an experience. I can't even put words to it honestly.

Your avatar always makes me hungry lol
Also, Yes.. :)

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been so blown away by a video game as I was by Astro Bot since the PS1. Of course it has a bit to do with it being one of my first VR games but it's a really tight and well designed game absolutely packed with nice little touches too. The technological leap between flat games is staggering. VR taking off is my biggest hope for the future of gaming.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My first VR experience was pretty much exactly the same - both are excellent games. I prefer Tetris Effect overall but Astro Bot is a better VR game and such a wholesome, positive experience.

Glad you enjoyed them both as much as I did!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I couldn't jive much with Tetris Effect unfortunately. The visuals are blurry to a fault in VR mode and I found myself too focused on the traditional block building aspect of it that I felt like I couldn't fully appreciate it as a sensory experience. The music however is fucking incredible, so I'll give it that.

Astro Bot's the real deal though. I'm stunned that a game with so much zero buzz around it prior to release turned out to be so resoundingly ace.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't jive much with Tetris Effect unfortunately. The visuals are blurry to a fault in VR mode and I found myself too focused on the traditional block building aspect of it that I felt like I couldn't fully appreciate it as a sensory experience. The music however is fucking incredible, so I'll give it that.

Astro Bot's the real deal though. I'm stunned that a game with so much zero buzz around it prior to release turned out to be so resoundingly ace.

Finally impression from you.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Tetris Effect

the game is built for VR from scratch, the platforming + level design + mechanics all are VR based and this attention to detail made me happier every minute I'm playing it. Trailers don't do this game justice at all.

Add to that the cute hero (gives me Wall-E vipe) + world design / beautiful music ... this game is GOTY material indeed and now I understand the high praise.

Welcome OP. Don't forget to try Wipeout VR. That one is another game changer.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Astro Bot is legit one of the best platformers this gen.

Thumper is worth a try as well. It's a different experience in VR than playing normally.

OP
OP
J 0 E

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Games added to my wishlist

Wipeout VR
Thumper
Beat Saber
Moss
Superhot

Whats great on VR is the potential it got ahead, it's amazing now and still have a long way to go by better screens or frame-rates. excited for future of it on next-gen consoles (PS5 should support it natively)

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I finally picked up a PS VR today

Astro Bot has seriously blown my mind. I bought the VR for this game specifically. I've played VR games before, but nothing like this. I'm two worlds in and am just in awe of the ideas and gameplay mechanics they came up with. My kids are in love with this. VR came with Beat Saber which I also love! It also came with Borderlands 2 which I have no desire to play anymore. Wondering if I should just sell the code for it. Played a bit of the Superhot demo. Was definitely feeling that. Wondering what game I should get next. Leaning towards Superhot

Dec 23, 2017
Welcome to VR, newcomers! :)

Now you can join us in telling people how awesome VR is, and having no one believe you.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Always happy to read people having their minds blown with Astroboy. On the other side, I really want to play Tetris Effect, but I am waiting for a sale.

AND YET, in almost every thread, there's people coming and saying that there should be a non-VR version. They can't get the idea that the game wouldn't be the same and wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Nov 8, 2017
Astro Bot is the best 3D platformer since the Super Mario Galaxy games. I only wish the game was longer.

Games added to my wishlist

Wipeout VR
Thumper
Beat Saber
Moss
Superhot

Whats great on VR is the potential it got ahead, it's amazing now and still have a long way to go by better screens or frame-rates. excited for future of it on next-gen consoles (PS5 should support it natively)
Don't forget Resident Evil 7. ;)

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to (PS)VR world!
Astrobot is pure magic, I loved every second of it. Its pure joy.
Prepare for some more intense experience in VR, as you said RE7 is another big one, its damn scary in VR.
If you have plus, you should have for free (past months games) also:
RIGS -> First time gave me some problems, but when you start to understand how to play then its awesome.
Bound -> Can be played also without VR, but in VR its so beautiful to live the envinronments.

Oh and go and download Playroom VR, its free and its a FANTASTIC party game.

OP
OP
J 0 E

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
My friend tried PSVR at my place and bought it the day after, this magical experience YOU HAVE TO TRY IT TO BELIEVE.

I finally picked up a PS VR today

Astro Bot has seriously blown my mind. I bought the VR for this game specifically. I've played VR games before, but nothing like this. I'm two worlds in and am just in awe of the ideas and gameplay mechanics they came up with. My kids are in love with this. VR came with Beat Saber which I also love! It also came with Borderlands 2 which I have no desire to play anymore. Wondering if I should just sell the code for it. Played a bit of the Superhot demo. Was definitely feeling that. Wondering what game I should get next. Leaning towards Superhot
Welcome aboard ;)
Always happy to read people having their minds blown with Astroboy. On the other side, I really want to play Tetris Effect, but I am waiting for a sale.

AND YET, in almost every thread, there's people coming and saying that there should be a non-VR version. They can't get the idea that the game wouldn't be the same and wouldn't be as good as it is now.
Exactly, the game's magic is it's VR ideas, it looks way less magical on the screen

Welcome to (PS)VR world!
Astrobot is pure magic, I loved every second of it. Its pure joy.
Prepare for some more intense experience in VR, as you said RE7 is another big one, its damn scary in VR.
If you have plus, you should have for free (past months games) also:
RIGS -> First time gave me some problems, but when you start to understand how to play then its awesome.
Bound -> Can be played also without VR, but in VR its so beautiful to live the envinronments.

Oh and go and download Playroom VR, its free and its a FANTASTIC party game.
Definitely get Move controllers and Beat Saber too, another must have game.
Re7 is fucking incredible in VR. Get it. I also recommend Wipeout.
Added to the list

Read some positive reviews on Firewall Zero Hour too

Astro Bot is the best 3D platformer since the Super Mario Galaxy games. I only wish the game was longer.

Don't forget Resident Evil 7. ;)
I have RE7, one of the gen's best games ever and can't wait to start it in VR.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Welcome to the new world. Get some Beat Saber, Moss, Wipeout Omega, Thumper, etc. etc. etc.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My friend tried PSVR at my place and bought it the day after, this magical experience YOU HAVE TO TRY IT TO BELIEVE.

Welcome aboard ;)

Exactly, the game's magic is it's VR ideas, it looks way less magical on the screen

Added to the list

Read some positive reviews on Firewall Zero Hour too

I have RE7, one of the gen's best games ever and can't wait to start it in VR.

Firewall is really good with the Aim Controller. Worth checking out if you like tactical shooters.

Come join the PSVR OT.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-vr-ot-virtually-a-new-era.336/page-151

Also there are a lot of recommendations here from the PSVR community.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/psvr-community-collective-recommendations.72700/

OP
OP
J 0 E

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the new world. Get some Beat Saber, Moss, Wipeout Omega, Thumper, etc. etc. etc.
Beat Saber is next on my list
Firewall is really good with the Aim Controller. Worth checking out if you like tactical shooters.

Come join the PSVR OT.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-vr-ot-virtually-a-new-era.336/page-151

Also there are a lot of recommendations here from the PSVR community.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/psvr-community-collective-recommendations.72700/
Thanks!!

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tetris Effect is on a whole other level compared, not only to Astrobot but most games out there. All in all two amazing experiences, one of them potentially life changing :D

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Astrobot is a masterpiece. One of the greatest games ever made. World 5 is sublime!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is still the ultimate experience to be had in VR, Astro is also a decent shout. Wish REmake2 Had VR support since it already has first person mod for it, Which is 10x better in my opinion.

Don't forget co-op games aswell (Farpoint, Arizona,Killing floor, Horus Station ), Seeing you're co-op buddys up close in person is way more immersive than the pancake TV versions.

Wheres this Seeking Dawn at though man for PSVR.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah its amazing, almost got the plat! Tried RE7 OP, made me motion sick... But that was near the start of my VR Experience. Maybe I can play it now, but the last time I played it, i got motion sick, so maybe take that into account, just one worry. Wait for a sale or something.

Nov 4, 2017
Had an issue while trying out beat saber.

Second song in the campaign, couldn't duck to dodge one block coming at me.
I couldn't figure out how to make the system realize that I was standing and not sitting down.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Had an issue while trying out beat saber.

Second song in the campaign, couldn't duck to dodge one block coming at me.
I couldn't figure out how to make the system realize that I was standing and not sitting down.
There's a setting youncan change the "floor" for me I think I had to take a step forward towards the camera and kind of re center myself to get that to calibrate right but once you get it set in a good spot there's no issues in the future

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I literally have the same kit right now (on loan from work) and I gotta say I'm not impressed. I tried VR a bunch of times before in the last few years, but never came away with anything but nausea. Even looking past that, I never felt especially immersed or "blown away" by the effect. It was kinda neat for a few minutes, but then you get used to it and all that's left is the actual game and they certainly didn't impress me.

But I always chalked it up to it not being under ideal circumstances, so I took one home to config it to my own home and such, use a proper headset and really make this work. Turns out the effect was much the same. I tried Astro Bot and while it's a pretty fun game and the VR does add to the experience (the physicality of it all is pretty neat) when you get used to VR all that's left is a good platformer. Not much more imo. It's solid fun but the praise is definitely overblown.

The I tried Tetris effect all the while wondering why I was even playing this in VR; it adds nothing to the game for me. The inconvenience of the headset isn't worth it to me. So when I play that game again, it'll be without VR for sure.

As a bonus I also tried RE7 in VR but I had to turn it off in 5 minutes because nausea hit me like a brick in that one. Never playing that again in VR.

If they can make a more comfortable headset, with adjustable focus like in binoculars or something so I don't have to wear my glasses (that's a big drawback) it would already go a long way, but as it stands, PSVR is something I'll never get in its current form. VR doesn't add much to the games imo.

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
Get To the Top and I expect you to die. Amazing VR games. The first is a first person platformer where you can leap through the world at a high speed and make crazy jumps. The second is an escape the room type game full of charm and clever puzzles