• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
6efcf001-4aea-4e59-ab7b-64f24408ef61.png

So I had heard praises for this show for a long while now and being in a lull of watching shows at the moment and having not watched any anime for a bit I decided to give this a shot and with a Season 2 announced what better time?

Before watching it I didn't know much about the general setup other than hearing that it got dark. I kind of assumed it would be like all other Isekai shows. Video game world and overpowered main character. I was genuinely surprised that neither happened. It was really nice to just have another world that was a fantasy setting. I like that Subaru even pokes fun at this by being angry why he isn't super strong and wheres his stats in the first episode.

I also wasn't expecting the time death reset mechanic which was endlessly fun to watch and so frustrating since he literally couldn't tell people. The thing is that even with that mechanic shit got really intense because anytime things were going good you got incredibly worried that it would all go to shit and he'd have to suffer through it again. It was nice how it tied into his development. He didn't get stronger so much as he got better as a person though that obviously didn't happen until he got some sense talked into him by Rem.

The episodes where he was trying to stop the Witches Cult (before the White Whale Hunt) were so goddamn depressing.

Now I really want to praise the English actors. Holy crap the main actors were wonderful and they really sold the terror and pain they were in. It was legitimately chilling how well they sold it.

I still feel so bad about Rem though. Poured her heart out to Subaru but he wasn't able to give those feelings back.

I'm really looking forward to Season 2, though will wait for the English dub to release. I love the voice actors they got and I'm willing to wait to see more from them.

Does anyone else like this show on ERA?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Watched like 5 eps and got bored out of my mind because nothing was happening and the humour was cringeworthy.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Watched like 5 eps and got bored out of my mind because nothing was happening and the humour was cringeworthy.

Personally I liked the humor, which I do feel gets better. Same with the show itself. I'd say once the next loop starts happening after that is when things really pick up. The second half of the show is intense!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like it so much. I mean, I had fun watching all the ways Subaru died, even when he kills himself to go back. But that was all; none of the characters were enjoyable for me.

Perhaps my low opinion was because some friends convinced me to watch it, and I did it begrudgingly.

Love the anime, can't wait for season 2

Also ask for Rem, the anime cut out
that Sabaru also reciprocated Rem's feelings after the whale battle, and that he's going more for a harem route with having both Rem and Emilia

I'm glad the anime cut that shit out.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

that Sabaru also reciprocated Rem's feelings after the whale battle, and that he's going more for a harem route with having both Rem and Emilia

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still really want somebody to put together a supercut of only the successful attempts. I feel like that would be an amazing thing to watch so we could feel like the characters in the show in regards to Subarus madness.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched through the sub version at least three times now. It's one of my favorite anime, I think. I don't like Subaru's dub voice though, so I couldn't watch it in English. That'd just did ruin the weight of his delivery for me.

I'm really really hyped for season 2, and I need to see the ova/movie, whatever it is.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Love, love this show. The world-building is engaging, the cast of characters interesting and largely well-written, the narrative is compelling, and White Fox just knocked it out of the park with some stellar direction, animation, music and voice acting. I loved how flawed Subaru was in particular - he's initially immensely unlikeable, petty, and obnoxious. Episode 12 (or 13?) where he white-knights for Emilia and makes a clown of himself was painful to watch, but brilliant writing.

Episode 15 is one of the best episodes of the decade, and from there on the Re:Zero was a must watch. I'll never forget the ending, where credits roll as
Subaru's head rolls

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how the MC has actual flaws, both in his abilities (he's weak as fuck outside of being able to respawn after dying) and personality (he's generally an unlikable person, especially in the second half, and gets better from there). It's rather rare in isekai shows.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

That's good tbh. I like that the anime didn't do that.

I still really want somebody to put together a supercut of only the successful attempts. I feel like that would be an amazing thing to watch so we could feel like the characters in the show in regards to Subarus madness.

This would so fun. Cause yeah, the characters think he's fucking crazy haha.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favorite isekai shows, namely because the show doesn't pretend that the protagonist is hot shit. They really make him work for it.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the anime cut that shit out.
It'll kinda ends up hurting the anime later on since

(Season 2 spoilers)
saving Rem ends up being Subaru's main goal form the start of season 2 to even were the web novels are currently at, Subaru's going to end up looking like a bigger dick in season 2 because there's really no way to cut that plot point at that point

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how the MC has actual flaws, both in his abilities (he's weak as fuck outside of being able to respawn after dying) and personality (he's generally an unlikable person, especially in the second half, and gets better from there). It's rather rare in isekai shows.
This is one of my favorite isekai shows, namely because the show doesn't pretend that the protagonist is hot shit. They really make him work for it.

It was painful to listen to the scene when he was yelling at Emilia about he deserved her. He was so full of himself. It was cathartic to listen to him shit on himself when talking to Rem after the last attempt to stop the Witches Cult.

I do love whenever the characters go like: "Wow you really matured all of the sudden" cause to them it's all just one go through and he's been at it multiple times haha.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I thought this was honestly a pretty terrible show -- I was away from anime for a long time and came back about 2 years ago so I came to this after the fact through some mentions on here. The main character is just so unlikeable that at least half the show is almost unbearable which is a shame because it felt incredibly long while being ridiculously frustrating -- perhaps the dub would honestly be better because the original voice of the main character is grating and his frequent whining and sobbing is just unpleasant. I think there have been a number of these "isekai" shows that are significantly better during the period I've been back into anime.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was painful to listen to the scene when he was yelling at Emilia about he deserved her. He was so full of himself. It was cathartic to listen to him shit on himself when talking to Rem after the last attempt to stop the Witches Cult.

I do love whenever the characters go like: "Wow you really matured all of the sudden" cause to them it's all just one go through and he's been at it multiple times haha.

Oh god yes, that was one of the best scenes in the show, he finally just reveals how petty he really is

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was honestly a pretty terrible show -- I was away from anime for a long time and came back about 2 years ago so I came to this after the fact through some mentions on here. The main character is just so unlikeable that at least half the show is almost unbearable which is a shame because it felt incredibly long while being ridiculously frustrating -- perhaps the dub would honestly be better because the original voice of the main character is grating and his frequent whining and sobbing is just unpleasant. I think there have been a number of these "isekai" shows that are significantly better during the period I've been back into anime.

Here's a voice comparison I found of just one specific part.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Well in Re: Zero the main character is meant to be unlikable, he even admits to being a terrible character later in the show

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

The dub voice is actually a pretty good representation of the original (for better or for worse). He seems to do a nice job at least.

Well in Re: Zero the main character is meant to be unlikable, he even admits to being a terrible character later in the show
This doesn't make for an enjoyable show. It makes for a total slog.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017

I love the sub Subaru. He's so expressive and captures so much nuance. I bet that hearing the English actor just felt unnatural after the fact, when I've got such an investment in the original. I'm usually pretty good at keeping them separate, but I don't like the sound of the English Subaru.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I love the sub Subaru. He's so expressive and captures so much nuance. I bet that hearing the English actor just felt unnatural after the fact, when I've got such an investment in the original. I'm usually pretty good at keeping them separate, but I don't like the sound of the English Subaru.

See for me after listening to the two side by side...

Personally I feel like the original voice sounds like he's overacting from time to time. I think the scene in the alley shows that the most.

Which I do feel like some believe that overacting is better acting.

Edit: Sorry if that came off as aggressive. I have no problem with people preferring one over the other.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'll kinda ends up hurting the anime later on since

(Season 2 spoilers)
saving Rem ends up being Subaru's main goal form the start of season 2 to even were the web novels are currently at, Subaru's going to end up looking like a bigger dick in season 2 because there's really no way to cut that plot point at that point
I mean, you can still want to save someone because you care for them and have it not be in a romantic sense.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you can still want to save someone because you care for them and have it not be in a romantic sense.
it's how most of it is written, it's like his obsession for Emilia transferred over to Rem, even cutting out a ton of dialogue there scenes like the witch of lust turning into what she says is his greatest desire and then having it revealed it's Rem in front of Emilia, people watching are going to probably question where this strong obsession came from, I do think cutting that content will hurt the narrative in the anime more because the love triangle aspect of the story is a big aspect of the story

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

He's an isekai protagonist for people who don't like isekai protagonists.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's an isekai protagonist for people who don't like isekai protagonists.
That is accurate. Yeah, Subaru is unlikable, but when you compare him to the usual shitty isekai protagonist, he's a breath of fresh air. Him and Kazuma from Konosuba are probably my favorite harem protags.

Like, the poster boy for the generic overpowered isekai self insert is the dude from "In Another World with my Smartphone". Talk about getting handed everything on a silver platter and just being the most blatant self insert character I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stress how happy that the show didn't go with the trope of: "This fantasy world works just like a video game!"

The only one that has done that well is Konosuba and that's because it's a parody of those.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I can't stress how happy that the show didn't go with the trope of: "This fantasy world works just like a video game!"

The only one that has done that well is Konosuba and that's because it's a parody of those.

I disagree. Overlord is good stuff, and Slime Datta Ken is pretty stellar (I haven't watched the anime, but I understand it's a decent adaption); both dealing with video game-like features pretty heavily

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Overlord is good stuff, and Slime Datta Ken is pretty stellar (I haven't watched the anime, but I understand it's a decent adaption); both dealing with video game-like features pretty heavily

But with Overlord that's different as it was a video game that somehow turned into a reality.

Tons of Isekai have the main characters transported to a world where for some reason everything works like a video game. It's super lazy and done only because the author doesn't want to actually flesh out their world cause when they use video game stuff they can just short hand it.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Would be interested in hearing Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti's dub, because the sub was fantastic.

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017

Not the biggwst fan of the show but this was definitely one of my favorite scenes ever especially when Emilia replies back to him shutting him down

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
But with Overlord that's different as it was a video game that somehow turned into a reality.

Tons of Isekai have the main characters transported to a world where for some reason everything works like a video game. It's super lazy and done only because the author doesn't want to actually flesh out their world cause when they use video game stuff they can just short hand it.

That's true. It is tiring to see more and more anime/manga take that approach, and they kind of mesh together in my mind. I can think of a lot more examples that are guilty of this than not.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks it's creepy as hell to repeatedly throw yourself into deadly situations because you really just wanna smush booties with someone else

Like, if I knew a girl for a long time and eventually started dating her and she dropped the old "oh BTW, I save-scummed my life to find out how to make you love me, how romantic is that," that's a hard pass from me, dawg

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017

See for me after listening to the two side by side...

Personally I feel like the original voice sounds like he's overacting from time to time. I think the scene in the alley shows that the most.

Which I do feel like some believe that overacting is better acting.

Edit: Sorry if that came off as aggressive. I have no problem with people preferring one over the other.

No problem at all, I didn't think you came across as aggressive. I just didn't have a chance to come back to this thread until now.

So I watched that video, and it cemented my opinion of preference for the sub. It did lessen my dislike of the dub, I can see that Subaru is doing a decent job with the material, but at the same time, like, Elsa for example, is more malevolent and sadistic in her delivery in the sub, like she's practically aroused by her character, which is totally in fitting with the nature of her dynamic. I also felt like the... Cadence? If Emilia's delivery was better in the sub.

Things that just fit together in the way it all meshes together. But the dub does seem to at least be a solid performance.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is good as hell. Watching dubbed anime always strikes me as strange though, so maybe something got lost in translation. It does pick up and become genuinely good.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I quite liked the show as well. I like how flawed the main character is, and I really like the tension of "Oh shit is going well I hope he doesn't die." The whale hunt is also badass even if it gets a bit anime stupid

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the subbed version recently and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the only two anime i actually went and bought the blu ray set when it came out years later.
It was honestly a breath of fresh air seeing an protagonist whose faults are not just glossed over, and who actually faces repercussions for his shitty choices after having seen so many ego-wanking isekais recommanded to me at the time.