• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
6 is stripped of what personality 4 and 5 had and dumbed down the mechanics into one of those generic shooters that were prevalent during that gen.

How exactly did RE6 "dumbed down" the mechanics? And how can you say RE6 turned into a generic shooter, when it's one of the few shooters that put so much emphasize on moving around and hand-to-hand combat instead of forcing you to spending half the game time behind a cover?

Everything outside the melee mechanics is mediocre to bad like level design, encounter design and maybe the worst boss fights in the entire series honestly all of which are things that actively dampen the excellent hand-to-hand combat.

Yeah, bosses in RE6 could be fun if they weren't a bullet sponges (Simmons!), and the game allowed you to actually fight them (e.g. Deborah) instead of throwing you into the next action scene just in case you could get bored.

Fights against Ustanak (at least some of them) and Ogroman (and maybe Iluzija and the first part of Ubistvo) were fun because the game threw you on an area and said: "fight them!" without restricting you much. However, in case of further Ustanak fights, and the later parts of Iluzjia and Ubistvo boss fights, the game took too much control from you, wanting you to follow a script.

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tried many times to get into the RE series but never could muster the courage to do it (not a fan of survival horror) or I'd give up in the early stages of the game. Eventually, I had a friend play all RE5 in coop with me just so I didn't go through the experience alone. Hated it from start to finish.

Years later, somehow a different friend talked me into playing RE6 and it's honestly my favorite game in the series. It's a stupid action shooter and I think that's why I liked it. It felt episodic and I liked the concept of playing as different set characters. Sherry Birkin is probably my favorite of the cast just because she's so sweet and endearing. All of the stories have their moments, with Leon and Jake campaigns being the best and Ada's being the worst due to the rehashed storytelling. The game allowed me to give the series more of a chance and I did with RE7. That's probably the best RE game I've played but RE6 is still my favorite.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
RE6 is legit one of the best third-person shooters ever and is among the best entries in the Resident Evil series. If you disagree you're allowed to be wrong. And I say that as someone who for the past 6 years have been told I was wrong for liking 6 and becoming fed up with that. Capcom scaled things way back with 7 not because people hated on 6, but because they couldn't top 6.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing RE6 again after the RE2 E3 hype and man, the combat is even more fun and wacky on PC. With precise mouse aiming comes precise judo finishers and karate mid-air counter-attacks. I'm just running around like a maniac in online co-op judo chopping and slo-mo slide shooting zombies and dogs and mutant sharks.

This game is so fun.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Up there with Vanquish as one of the best shooters of the last gen.

Both games with stamina management too, weirdly enough.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's my favorite Resident Evil game since 4. It got a bad rap, but it was a ton of fun with a buddy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moment I saw my Co-op friend curiously inspect an open grave and being dragged into it is the moment this game became a hit. It is relentless with its shock moments and always keeps you on the edge of your seat, definitely recommend it!!

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The worst mainline RE by far.The only good campaign was Leon and Ada,and is like 7/10,Chris and Wesker's son is like a 4/10.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIME FOR THE GIFS!

9mRiwTE.gif
mkU5Y6V.gif

CMdXpjv.gif

Wait, I'm confused and have never played any of the Resident Evil games.

Are the enemies getting beat up in these gifs zombies? They just look like regular people with guns? And there's a laser sight from somewhere trying to hit the player character.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
There are literally only two good things about Resident Evil 6.

1) Mercenaries mode
2) Sherry Birkin

That's it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
6 is stripped of what personality 4 and 5 had and dumbed down the mechanics into one of those generic shooters that were prevalent during that gen.
RE6 plays nothing like any other TPS, and I think you know this.

Are the enemies getting beat up in these gifs zombies? They just look like regular people with guns? And there's a laser sight from somewhere trying to hit the player character.
There are both zombies and what are called "J'avo" in this game. The latter behave more as though they've been brainwashed by the virus, retaining their humanity to where they can still use guns, pilot vehicles, etc.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Game needed more time in the oven. When it works its better than anything else. When it doesn't it turns into a colossal failure. Heck of a game though.

Chris and Piers 4ever!

Only some enemies in some Resident Evil games are zombies.

In Resi 6 there are both zombies, mutating soldier enemies and even Crab people.

giphy.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

There are two types of enemies in RE6:
- classic zombies; some of them carry weapons (cops, BSAA soldiers), but they shoot like... well, zombies, i.e. aim slowly and with shaky hands, and fire from time to time;
- J'avo - mercenaries that were infected with the C-virus. In their default state they look like normal humans with deformed faces and they can operate guns. However, the C-virus allows them to mutate randomly and thus they can grow a spider-like legs and crawl on all six legs near the floor and on ceiling, can grow a shield out of their arms, can grow a lengthy rubber arm, can grow a grasshopper legs that allows them to jump high and far etc. There are dozens of random mutations and one enemy can mutate multiple times. See the example above :D

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
RE6 is still very fun, although it doesn't really hold up on subsequent playthroughs. Loved it back in the day, though.

Still think the mechanics should be re-used in a new/different IP.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I just dumped about three tons of ammunition into a constantly-evolving bad monster guy who was, at various points, a giant cat, a giant cat with organic gun turret, a massive fly/spider and a goddamn T-Rex, and I don't know who allowed this fever dream of a project to get all the way through development but God bless them.

You make spending 30 minutes blasting an enormous, poorly designed bullet sponge sound fun. It didn't help that you had to fight him again in Ada's campaign, where they somehow managed to make shooting a T-Rex from a helicopter as boring as a video game can be.

The enemies may as well be regular people with guns until you shoot them, at which point they mutate into hardshell crab monsters that somehow get stronger the more they get hit. It's supposed to be a neat mechanic but just bored me to death. 3 of the 4 campaigns have you fighting just them the majority of the time, and that mutation idea is not cool or fun enough to get stretched across that much content.

The laser sight is from an enemy sniper, who will knock your character flat on their back for an inordinately long amount of time with one shot. There's a quick action you can do in mid-fall to stop yourself from falling all the way, but the game wisely opted not to teach it to players in favor of putting another goddamn QTE sequence where the tutorial should have been. God bless them indeed.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE6 plays nothing like any other TPS, and I think you know this.

There are both zombies and what are called "J'avo" in this game. The latter behave more as though they've been brainwashed by the virus, retaining their humanity to where they can still use guns, pilot vehicles, etc.

Game needed more time in the oven. When it works its better than anything else. When it doesn't it turns into a colossal failure. Heck of a game though.

Chris and Piers 4ever!

Only some enemies in some Resident Evil games are zombies.

In Resi 6 there are both zombies, mutating soldier enemies and even Crab people.

There are two types of enemies in RE6:
- classic zombies; some of them carry weapons (cops, BSAA soldiers), but they shoot like... well, zombies, i.e. aim slowly and with shaky hands, and fire from time to time;
- J'avo - mercenaries that were infected with the C-virus. In their default state they look like normal humans with deformed faces and they can operate guns. However, the C-virus allows them to mutate randomly and thus they can grow a spider-like legs and crawl on all six legs near the floor and on ceiling, can grow a shield out of their arms, can grow a lengthy rubber arm, can grow a grasshopper legs that allows them to jump high and far etc. There are dozens of random mutations and one enemy can mutate multiple times. See the example above :D

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the clarification lol

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If RE6 has a proper tutorial system explaining it's obscure mechanics, then I think a lot more people would have warmed up to it. I think it's the main reason why RE6 is considered a major failure, even with its numerous other flaws. For example, I didn't even know that you could regenerate stamina quickly by going prone or going into cover. That's an essential mechanic that the game absolutely fails to teach you.

Leon campaign was pretty good the others felt like I was in Call of Duty and Street fighter combined.

That's why the other campaigns are actually good, and Leon has the terrible one.

The Chris and Jake stories actually play to the strength of RE6's mechanics and insanity. Leon is a weird attempt at appealing to classic RE fans, but it just feels half-hearted and dull instead.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
EDIT: someone already posted this gif so NVM.

But anyway, I really think that like an arena room or something (not mercenaries, I mean like actually in the campaign) would have improved the general reception. You have to dig for the amazing stuff.

Last edited:

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People who hate RE6 clearly have not been with the series from the beginning.

Even with Resident Evil 1, the games were horror at the most part, but it was always meant to be an over the top action oriented cheese filled game with homages and parodies to american action movies.

When people say RE6 "Isnt an Resident Evil game" I cant help but shake my head every fucking time. Because all that stupid shit that they claim they say doesnt fit the "tone" or isnt "survival" horror or "true to the series" has been in the series since the first fucking game, and has been in every game since.

You hate RE6 but RE4 was always meant to evolve into what RE6 became, (would have helped with better level design however)

But you can claim that RE4 is the best the franchise has ever been and then hate RE6 for improving upon it in every way? I dont understand you.

I've played 1, 2, 3, 4, CVX, 5, Rev1, and finally this like a month ago through Game Pass. I'm so glad I didn't actually buy this game. Leon and Ada's campaigns were ok for the most part but I have so many problems with it I can't be bothered to type it all out.

RE used to be one of my favorite franchises. I had some problems with 5 but I love that game compared to how I feel about 6.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Re6 is like half a terrible game mixed with half a good one. If they got rid of the crap parts (seriously what was with that god awful airplane fighter part with Chris/Piers where you were targeting a battleship?) it could have been good

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
People were hating on it the moment it was announced. Luckily, those of us with someone to play with and an understanding of the mechanics (that the game didn't even try to hint at) were treated to an incredibly good time.

It's got some flat spots and at this point it was just an over the top action game, but at least it was goddamned entertaining.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing RE6 again after the RE2 E3 hype and man, the combat is even more fun and wacky on PC. With precise mouse aiming comes precise judo finishers and karate mid-air counter-attacks. I'm just running around like a maniac in online co-op judo chopping and slo-mo slide shooting zombies and dogs and mutant sharks.

This game is so fun.
If you need a partner, hit me up. I've been dying to replay the game on PC, but it's best with a partner.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Resident Evil 5 & 6 are the two most underrated games ever made.
5 is. Not 6. Even as someone who appreciates the over the top vibes of 6 I thought it lacked something to make it not feel painfully mediocre. The good animations of the controls are bogged down by shitty hitboxes and unresponsive controls and the shooting itself lacks feedback. 5 had more restraint but oh it was so much tighter at the same time.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
tumblr_nivmp9kFHl1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Mercs is the best part of RE6 (along with Sherry, even though the Jake/Sherry campaign is a roller coaster of quality that leans towards bad)

How exactly did RE6 "dumbed down" the mechanics? And how can you say RE6 turned into a generic shooter, when it's one of the few shooters that put so much emphasize on moving around and hand-to-hand combat instead of forcing you to spending half the game time behind a cover?

RE6 is unfortunately dumbed down in quite a few ways. Most glaringly, there's no more "item box" or actual merchant in the game, so you can't trade out weapons as you please. You get a fixed set of 5-7 guns for each campaign with no choice. Chris and Ada can't get magnums, Piers can't ever use a handgun or a knife, no one gets the actual multi-round grenade launcher except for Chris and Piers, etc. You also can't even discard or neglect to pick up certain weapons (they're given to you by force after the mission), so if I don't give a crap about using the assault rifle as Leon, I can't too anything about it and the game will constantly throw AR ammo at me anyway. There's also no weapon upgrades, and the "skill" system is a pathetic replacement for it. Plus, when playing online, all of the items are instanced for each player so you're never trading supplies like in RE5.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The worst mainline RE by far.The only good campaign was Leon and Ada,and is like 7/10,Chris and Wesker's son is like a 4/10.
For me it was the flip opposite. Jake's is so so but has a kickass ending. Chris' has a bland premise but eventually culminates in an emotional payoff that resonates with player 1 and 2 both through gameplay and cinematics. Leon's start showed promise but the horror vibes are overshadowed by explosions and overdrive that take away all attempts to build an RE atmosphere and later it just devolves into an insulting climax with a villain you don't even care about. Ada's was just plain boring and also canonically filler so whatever.

I played this game for Chris and Jake's stuff. They're the highlights.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder in what dungeon did they throw RE6/Outbreak's director? With RE6's enormous backlash and the series going back to slow paced horror, I suppose that he either doesn't work there anymore or that he won't be given any supervising position anymore.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
People who hate RE6 clearly have not been with the series from the beginning.

Even with Resident Evil 1, the games were horror at the most part, but it was always meant to be an over the top action oriented cheese filled game with homages and parodies to american action movies.

giphy.gif

Games where conserving your resources and avoiding combat at all costs were always meant to be the same as a game where you roll around on the ground with two pistols blazing and performing pile drivers on 20 enemy groups? Your point about RE6 improving on 4 "in every way" is giving me a headache. RE4 had some of the best pacing and enemy encounters/ set pieces in the series. It was such a tight, immaculately designed game. RE6 had the very worst game design in the series, possibly some of the worst I've ever played in any game. The pacing is garbage, the bosses are garbage, the general encounters are monotonous to the point where it feels like a 30 hour slog through javo after javo. The game had great controls and fighting mechanics and that was the extent of its accomplishments.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now and it's trash. Characters are awful in a bad way (Helena, talking to her sister aka the sexy naked monster girl (wtf Capcom???) "This isn't you! Stop!" SHE HAS TENTACLES WTF KILL HER), constant QTE's that are random and dumb (qte's should be predictable like in God of War, where they appear in certain locations on the screen so you know what kind they are before they appear - button mash, analog stick, etc), melee is terrible, gunplay is borked (recently played Rise of the Tomb Raider and the shooting mechanics in that were way better), NO PAUSE FEATURE???, designed around co-op so obviously not as fun as a single player game, etc.

And that's just after the Leon campaign. I dread playing the other ones.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Re6 is like half a terrible game mixed with half a good one. If they got rid of the crap parts (seriously what was with that god awful airplane fighter part with Chris/Piers where you were targeting a battleship?) it could have been good

It reminds me of Sonic Unleashed. Take the "good" from it and build another game focused around it , instead of the mixing it and trying to be everything.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Resident evil reminds me of horror movie franchises. Start out great, get shlocky and ridiculous, then go back to roots and simplify. The difference is in video games it got 4 good ones in before it got to the over the top stage. I greatly enjoyed RE5 btw but I'm saying it got silly instead of horrory. RE4 had that too with Napoleon and the banderas knockoff but I was still scared out of my skin at various points. RE6 is the "Jason takes Manhattan" of the series

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
RE6 is unfortunately dumbed down in quite a few ways. Most glaringly, there's no more "item box" or actual merchant in the game, so you can't trade out weapons as you please. You get a fixed set of 5-7 guns for each campaign with no choice. Chris and Ada can't get magnums, Piers can't ever use a handgun or a knife, no one gets the actual multi-round grenade launcher except for Chris and Piers, etc. You also can't even discard or neglect to pick up certain weapons (they're given to you by force after the mission), so if I don't give a crap about using the assault rifle as Leon, I can't too anything about it and the game will constantly throw AR ammo at me anyway. There's also no weapon upgrades, and the "skill" system is a pathetic replacement for it. Plus, when playing online, all of the items are instanced for each player so you're never trading supplies like in RE5.

This is nothing but the truth. The weapons feel incredibly weak and are not fun to use at all, even the weak zombies barely react to your shots and after eating some lead they suddenly dissolve. Yeah, yeah, they are meant to set up melee attacks, that doesn't excuse how awful shooting is in a TPS game.

Item management is a nightmare, menus get cluttered with weapons you can't store and you always get bullets for the weapon you aren't using (because it probably sucks) so you always have an inventory full of garbage which you need to scroll through to get to whatever you need.

The pasive skills are really lame compared to the game changing upgrades of past games, they don't feel rewarding nor fun and I don't think anyone enjoys half-assed skill trees, much less in a Resident Evil game.

The game has decent mechanics but I really wouldn't call it the best TPS around, not when the campaigns aren't even designed to make those mechanics shine, instead you'll be caged in a maze with stupid immortal enemies while you look for keys in every campaign, or the game will decide it got tired of being a TPS and will turn into a bad vehicle shooter, or a bad stealth game, or a bad turret section, or a bad puzzle solving game. It tries to do a million things and all are boring.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eveyone has the rights to have opinions even when they are wrong

He's not wrong though. Most Platinum games are better than RE6 (RE6 is easily one of the lowest points for RE series in terms of quality due to its bloated content). RE7 however is very great and return to the series peak, and I can't wait for RE2 remake.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris is a fighter pilot. That's his character. He's one of those anime archetypes who became a super awesome pilot at a stupidly young age, and he's also super cool and talented at everything he does. And of course he was a hothead who quit the air force despite being super awesome because his principles clashed with his superiors. The flight section in RE6 was one of the funner vehicle sections in the game and it fit perfectly with his character.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I hope Horror-Action RE comes back.

The mechanics of RE6 is too good to let it go to waste like what Sega did to Vanquish.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
constant QTE's that are random and dumb (qte's should be predictable like in God of War, where they appear in certain locations on the screen so you know what kind they are before they appear - button mash, analog stick, etc)
Auto Action Button partially solves this by ensuring that QTEs won't kill you if you don't press them. They should have been removed entirely, though. Nasty overhang from RE4. In fact, just about every attempt to pay homage to RE4 in RE6 just drives home how archaic and inorganic RE4's design is and how ill fitting it is in a modern design context. With RE6, you're finally in control of your character for basically the first time in the series. And then at random it decides you really want a throwback to RE4's QTEs. It's most glaring when the man-shark is chasing you and the game decides that instead of just swimming normally you should press SPACE to swim away because, hey, RE4 did it, too.
NO PAUSE FEATURE???,
You can pause at any time. As long as you're not playing online, that is.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love 6... it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I've been replaying it via the PS4 port with a friend this past week. So good. It's my favorite of the second gen RE games (4, 5, 6).

I get the hate in that it's so different for the series... what I don't get is the praise 5 gets because it has all the same "problems"and a lot more (that I actually hated... nearly the entire game in the day, babysitting AI, bad boss designs). It's whatever though.

I will be replaying 5 soon though as I also purchased that one. Probably gonna hop on 7 soon as well. I've had that sitting on my shelf for a while.
I hope Horror-Action RE comes back.

The mechanics of RE6 is too good to let it go to waste like what Sega did to Vanquish.
Posts like this is why this board needs a like function. Keep it going as a spin-off series or something. Now that the old school style is back, there's no reason for the revelations games to try to cater to that crowd going forward.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It is honestly one of the most fun games I've ever played. Me and my mate played Mercenaries for probably hundreds of hours and never got tired. The Merc theme song is still something I play during my workouts lmao.