• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I wasn't a big fan on my first play through. But I decided to play it again and just take it what it is and boy I loved it so much more.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
RE6 is perhaps one of the least enjoyable experiences I've ever forced upon myself. I finished it, as I just wanted to keep being able to say I've finished all the Resident Evil's I suppose, but fuck what a joyless, despicable, awful, drawn out escapade of despair it was. Thank goodness for RE7, as it revived my faith in the series moving forward when RE6 damn near killed it.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I love 6... it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I've been replaying it via the PS4 port with a friend this past week. So good. It's my favorite of the second gen RE games (4, 5, 6).

I get the hate in that it's so different for the series... what I don't get is the praise 5 gets because it has all the same "problems"and a lot more (that I actually hated... nearly the entire game in the day, babysitting AI, bad boss designs). It's whatever though.

I will be replaying 5 soon though as I also purchased that one. Probably gonna hop on 7 soon as well. I've had that sitting on my shelf for a while.

RE5 definitely does not have the same issues as 6. The most glaring problem 6 has is that you spend the vast majority of the game fighting dumbass, annoying commandos (albeit mutant commandos) with guns. You spend most of a numbered RE game in firefights. That sucks. Yes, the gameplay is a lot more nimble and versatile than most other TPS game so it's hardly a stock-still cover-based game, but it's still lame, especially when the zombies in RE6 are a lot more fun and satisfying to fight. RE5 does have you fending off against some gun-wielding baddies, but they're relegated entirely to some of the chapters at the end of the game, and not even all of them.

RE6 also has a horribly unfun and inefficient inventory/weapon system that's an embarrassing step back from RE4's and 5's in every conceivable way (no item box, no merchant, weapons are locked on a per-character basis, no way to store/retrieve weapons in any way), and it severely hurts replay value too. The general pacing and encounter design for a lot of RE6 is just terrible too. There's some less good fights in RE5, but nothing even close to the misery of RE6's boss fights against tanks and helicopters, the cricket snipers, god awful jeep racing section, stealth segments, the convoluted as fuck battleship hanger area. The only distinct areas where RE6 unquestionably improves on RE5 is by giving the AI partner infinite health and ammo, and the increase in overall game length is a plus just in terms of raw numbers (even though so much of that extra playtime is a mistake).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Something about an re game accidentally being a of game is really amusing to me considering all the good Resident Evil games were made by current or ex platinum games developers

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The series had lost me after 5. Telling me I had to play the series in co-op in order to enjoy it was crazy to me. 6 seemed to double down on the action route and made the whole thing an uninteresting slog. It felt like I was playing a generic third person shooter. I'm all for taking risks in long running franchises, but they strayed so far from what made the first 4 games special. They were chasing the whole western type game so hard. I'm amazed they were able to revive the series with 7 and now by the looks of it with the RE 2R.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE6 also has a horribly unfun and inefficient inventory/weapon system that's an embarrassing step back from RE4's and 5's in every conceivable way (no item box, no merchant, weapons are locked on a per-character basis, no way to store/retrieve weapons in any way), and it severely hurts replay value too.
RE6's inventory system is a flawed solution to a difficult design problem. The Evil Within 1/2 came up with a somewhat better solution -- a weapon wheel where time slows down while you select the weapon/item you want. But of course RE6 had to have co-op so they ended up with the somewhat wonky system we got. The second problem is that RE6 has four campaigns. There's no real point having a weapon upgrade system if you lose your weapon upgrades the moment you reach the end of each campaign. So the solution they came up with was general upgrades that apply to all characters, and can be hotswapped during gameplay, which is frankly too convoluted for its own good. RE6 has character-unique weapons that tie into how that character behaves. Leon has double pistols and can perform gun kata with them. Male and female characters have different move sets. Playing as Helena or Leon is actually dramatically different when you get down to the nuts and bolts. A basic attack like reversing the camera and melee attacking will make Leon do an elbow slam while Helena will do a kick. These have different effects on enemies -- ones the game never bothers to explain.

RE4/5's inventory system was deeply flawed for the kind of game RE6 is, but the replacement system has a plethora of issues on its own that could have been solved if the game hadn't been co-op. Same deal with the way the game handles notes/journal entries. Instead of finding them ingame, you shatter snake medallions to unlock them. So most people never read them because they're buried in a submenu. Why do this? Because people standing around reading notes isn't good for a co-op game. RE6 is full of glaring co-op design compromises. Revelations 2 is built on RE6's foundation but it takes some huge steps back and sideways to fix some of the problems RE6 introduced.

Speaking of RE5 generally, my problem with the game is how monotonous it is. It's a boring game in singleplayer. It's not as polished as RE4, and it's not as fun as RE6. But it is very fun in co-op.
They were chasing the whole western type game so hard.
Resident Evil has always chased western game design. Resident Evil 1's design largely comes from Alone in the Dark, which was French. RE4 is a whole other messy topic regarding its game design influences, but one must note it takes huge influence from the British/American Resident Evil movies. And Resident Evil 7 liberally borrows from popular "western" first person horror games (and films).

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE6 is straight garbage, and its singular redeeming (debatable) quality is the combat. You know its fanboys are insane when they say things like "it improves on RE4 in every way". RE4 is one the greatest games ever made while RE6 is easily the worst mainline RE game ever.

It's it hilarious, though, that every six months or so we get a new RE6 thread trying to convince us how amazing this game is. It's not, it never will be. At least RE5 was a good game, albeit a poor RE game. RE6 doesn't even have that luxury, it's just awful.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish the level design fit the gameplay a bit better. Otherwise though, I do think it's a pretty great action game, especially in co-op.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
RE was one of my favorite video game franchises up until 6 came out.

I got hands-on with it at TGS and I remember walking away more disappointed than I could express in words.

I ended up skipping out on 6 (ended up loving 7) until maybe 5 months ago when I finally decided to give it a chance for 20 bucks.

It was a waste of 20 bucks.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 is one the greatest games ever made while RE6 is easily the worst mainline RE game ever.
Ironically a lot of RE6's design problems are inherited directly from RE4. RE4 is a great game, but it is littered with not-great design elements. RE6 doesn't improve on RE4 in every way. That honour goes to The Evil Within 2, which is a vastly superior game to pretty much the entire RE series. TEW2 takes a significant amount of influence from RE6, as well but the important part is that the final package is extremely polished. RE6 is a very, very, very good game, but it's an unpolished game. It's a shockingly obtuse game. And that really lies at the heart of everything. The importance of polish varies from person to person. Revelations 2 and Remake 2 demonstrate what Leon's campaign in RE6 in particular could have been if they'd had enough time to tune and polish and overhaul what wasn't working. (Remember that RE6 was essentially a first draft game. It never got rebooted during development like all the other RE titles did.) RE2 Remake in particular is far more like RE6 than RE4 in terms of aesthetics and tone.

The four campaigns of RE6 were ultimately too similar. They should have been reworked so that each campaign focused strongly on what each set of characters had to bring. Leon should have focused more on horror. Chris should have focused more on squad tactics and such. Jake should have focused on brawling. Ada should have focused on spy stuff and puzzles. In the game we got, each of the campaigns does that to some extent, but it slips back into a generic middle ground all too often.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Resident Evil has always chased western game design. Resident Evil 1's design largely comes from Alone in the Dark, which was French. RE4 is a whole other messy topic regarding its game design influences, but one must note it takes huge influence from the British/American Resident Evil movies. And Resident Evil 7 liberally borrows from popular "western" first person horror games (and films).

I'm talking about the games that were popular at the time. Mostly third person shooters. RE 4 took the third person design while still managing to keep the RE feel intact. RE 7 did the same thing with the first person horror games that brought back the resurgence in the genre. 5 and 6 were the only ones that didn't feel like RE games, at least to me. They felt like Michael Bay movies and that's not a compliment.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
I wish Capcom truly would've made RE6 with a laser-focus on action game design. It has excellent mechanics and a huge variety of enemies, but they don't make the most of it. If the game was full of big, open areas with loads of enemies to fight, like one of Chris' early chapters in a hangar IIRC, it would easily be one of the top 3 games in the genre. But it's bogged down by too much junk in between.

It's still great though. Capcom's biggest mistake was making a complex game and not doing anything to teach people how to play it. Which is especially strange in this era where practically every game has tutorials out the ass.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funnily I'm downloading the game right now - can someone kindly tell me about all the hidden tricks and stuff again that aren't in the game's description or manual? I remember reading that's a thing and I don't care for the story or anything, just for the gameplay - so I need to know this... Thanks. ;)

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Best love story in gaming.

LMAO
PRZnBlO.jpg

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the games that were popular at the time. Mostly third person shooters. RE 4 took the third person design while still managing to keep the RE feel intact. RE 7 did the same thing with the first person horror games that brought back the resurgence in the genre. 5 and 6 were the only ones that didn't feel like RE games, at least to me. They felt like Michael Bay movies and that's not a compliment.

I'll never understand this, I played RE5 as my first Resident Evil game and then Remake HD a few years later as my second Resident Evil game and they're basically almost the same, the only real difference is Remake has better graphics (yes, I went there), better camera and the better atmosphere, RE5 still beats it because of Mercanaries Mode.

I actually learned dodging in RE5, I felt right at home playing Remake - I also thought it's completely hilarious (and weirdly fitting) you can run circles around everything with the "new" control scheme lol.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They felt like Michael Bay movies and that's not a compliment.
I don't understand people using Michael Bay as a frame of reference for Resident Evil when Paul W.S. Anderson's live action Resident Evil movies exist and deeply influenced all the action Resident Evil titles. This is what Resident Evil has been since 2002. So many people seemingly forget these movies exist. It's weird considering how much money they made.

RE3 Nemesis = A terrifying hulking monster.
Post RE3 Nemesis & RE6's Ustanak = Sure he's big and scary, but I'm gonna lay the smackdown on him.

That pretty much sums up Resident Evil. And it goes without saying that RE7 leans into that wholeheartedly with End of Zoe where you punch you know who to death with a super cool glove.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
to me, the original RE series ended with Remake of Resident Evil 1, those were the games i called Resident Evil.

4 is without a doubt one of the best games ever in history, but to me it's no resident evil, only in name and story.

Resident Evil 5 was really fun game, with one
of the greatest production quality I've ever seen, mind blowing visually in it's time and still one of the best looking games nearly a decade later, even with it's many problems and not being as good as RE4, it's still was one of the best action shooters I've played, still not a Resident Evil game to me just like RE4 wasn't... also the online was awesome.

Resident Evil 6 was a messy game compared to RE4 and 5, it had really weird clunky animations, ridiculous sequences that are far too ridiculous, and some not good designed locations, it's still a very fun action shooter, shines in the other game modes and when you play locally with a friend, still not a resident evil game to me just like 4 and 5, and was not as good as them.

Resident Evil 7 is a weird one, it's a new type of game, not like 4-6, but it's closer to the classic, tho not entirely, while the game is fun and all, it was very short and lacking, and had some really bad parts ( the ship part ), i enjoyed it overall, but i wish we had more of that 1st part of the game rather the later parts.

in the end they are all great games if you give them the chance, but i agree that using the name of a franchise and changing it's core gameplay to another type is not a cool move for us fans, it's pure buisness thing, but as long as they make them great games, I'm in.

Can't wait for the Remake of RE2, that game looks like it might be the right mix of old and new and a return to the classics.

sorry about my English.

Last edited:

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Funnily I'm downloading the game right now - can someone kindly tell me about all the hidden tricks and stuff again that aren't in the game's description or manual? I remember reading that's a thing and I don't care for the story or anything, just for the gameplay - so I need to know this... Thanks. ;)

The game's biggest secret is that its a third person brawler with some shooting, not a third person shooter with some brawling. Guns are for ranged enemies, staggering enemies, and bosses. Your punches, kicks, and grabs are what can more effectively take out everything else.

You can melee an enemy by:
- headshotting them then pressing the button prompt near them. This is classic RE4/5 style.
- repeatedly pressing the melee button. This is for a last resort if you run out of ammo.
- sliding into them from a sprint, then pressing the prompt when you get up. (also a way to break open item boxes faster lol)
- quickshotting them using both shoulder buttons. This is the fastest and safest way to stagger an enemy but it comes at a cost of 1 stamina so you cannot spam this. Use it for when you're surrounded. *
*you can chain quickshots together too if just one won't suffice. simply keep pressing both shoulder buttons. Every quickshot is 1 stamina tho.

Other Tips
- Don't underestimate dodging. Its useful to sideroll dodge for bosses.
- Remote Bombs are powerful. Save em for mini bosses/HUGE crowds
- Bolt action rifle is cool as fuk
- Recover stamina faster by laying against wall or laying on the ground. This is funnily enough the most use the cover mechanic has as opposed to serving as actual cover lmao

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man that thread title. Talk about being overly generous to RE6.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Overly generous to Platinum you mean. RE6 is as long and varied as Vanquish + Rising + Bayo 1 put together kek
Quality over quantity.

I found this game insufferable. I don't remember how many hours I ended up putting in before I dropped it, but they were definitely too many.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The game's biggest secret is that its a third person brawler with some shooting, not a third person shooter with some brawling. Guns are for ranged enemies, staggering enemies, and bosses. Your punches, kicks, and grabs are what can more effectively take out everything else.

You can melee an enemy by:
- headshotting them then pressing the button prompt near them. This is classic RE4/5 style.
- repeatedly pressing the melee button. This is for a last resort if you run out of ammo.
- sliding into them from a sprint, then pressing the prompt when you get up. (also a way to break open item boxes faster lol)
- quickshotting them using both shoulder buttons. This is the fastest and safest way to stagger an enemy but it comes at a cost of 1 stamina so you cannot spam this. Use it for when you're surrounded. *
*you can chain quickshots together too if just one won't suffice. simply keep pressing both shoulder buttons. Every quickshot is 1 stamina tho.

Other Tips
- Don't underestimate dodging. Its useful to sideroll dodge for bosses.
- Remote Bombs are powerful. Save em for mini bosses/HUGE crowds
- Bolt action rifle is cool as fuk
- Recover stamina faster by laying against wall or laying on the ground. This is funnily enough the most use the cover mechanic has as opposed to serving as actual cover lmao

There really should have been a melee only campaign.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
Got it on sale for like 5 bucks, tried 3 times to play it but never got more than 30 mins in. Reminded me too much of that flaming shit pile that was RE5. God I really fucking hate RE5.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember when this game came out and had all the terrible reviews and first impressions, and the diehards who stayed and slowly unraveled it's mechanics that Capcom didn't actually tell anyone about. Then the slow build up to some people actually realizing what a fun game it could be and then the tide slowly turning from 'omg this is unplayable trash' from everywhere to having more of a middle ground with some people enjoying it.

It was a great time 'unlocking' the way to play this game, I just wish it didn't have to be that way and Capcom actually told people how to play it with proper tutorials and level design based around it. It's so frustrating watching people get hit over and over by leaping zombies and then write off the game knowing they could just dodge jump out of the way, shoot it out of the air with a quick shot, counter/parry it, etc etc.

One thing this game never got enough credit for it it's insane amount of enemy variety. There is no other shooter out there with as much enemy variety (that actually plays differently, not just in visuals) as RE6. The J'avo alone are such a crazy enemy, how any random soldier can turn into so many different types of monsters that all require a different playstyle to defeat. It's part of what made the bigger battles of the campaign and Mercs so exciting.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still remember when this game came out and had all the terrible reviews and first impressions, and the diehards who stayed and slowly unraveled it's mechanics that Capcom didn't actually tell anyone about. Then the slow build up to some people actually realizing what a fun game it could be and then the tide slowly turning from 'omg this is unplayable trash' from everywhere to having more of a middle ground with some people enjoying it.

It was a great time 'unlocking' the way to play this game, I just wish it didn't have to be that way and Capcom actually told people how to play it with proper tutorials and level design based around it. It's so frustrating watching people get hit over and over by leaping zombies and then write off the game knowing they could just dodge jump out of the way, shoot it out of the air with a quick shot, counter/parry it, etc etc.

One thing this game never got enough credit for it it's insane amount of enemy variety. There is no other shooter out there with as much enemy variety (that actually plays differently, not just in visuals) as RE6. The J'avo alone are such a crazy enemy, how any random soldier can turn into so many different types of monsters that all require a different playstyle to defeat. It's part of what made the bigger battles of the campaign and Mercs so exciting.

I know from a personal perspective. Learning the game made a large difference. I hated the demo that came with DD. Since I tried to just play it like RE5. But as you said, once the community started putting the Untold stuff together and I started experimenting on incorporating it all. My fun levels sky-rocketed. As someone else said the game is definitely a brawler with guns rather then the opposite most think.

Obviously this doesn't excuse legitimate problems the game has. But I'm glad that as time has gone on. More people are at least understanding why it has its fans. It's definitely no DMC2 or Dino Crisis 3 style failure.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I just got my first 150-kill Mercs run! I couldn't keep the combo going but at least I finished Urban Chaos. Now to try the next map. :)

If you need a partner, hit me up. I've been dying to replay the game on PC, but it's best with a partner.

What's your Steam ID? I'm moving at the end of the month but I'll be online for the next week or so.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
I know from a personal perspective. Learning the game made a large difference. I hated the demo that came with DD. Since I tried to just play it like RE5. But as you said, once the community started putting the Untold stuff together and I started experimenting on incorporating it all. My fun levels sky-rocketed. As someone else said the game is definitely a brawler with guns rather then the opposite most think.

Obviously this doesn't excuse legitimate problems the game has. But I'm glad that as time has gone on. More people are at least understanding why it has its fans. It's definitely no DMC2 or Dino Crisis 3 style failure.

Everyone keeps saying this but noone actually explains it, what is this untold stuff?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE6's inventory system is a flawed solution to a difficult design problem. The Evil Within 1/2 came up with a somewhat better solution -- a weapon wheel where time slows down while you select the weapon/item you want.

RE6's inventory system is fine. It lets you quickly switch between a number of weapons and sub weapons on the fly and there are shortcuts available so you don't really have to go to the inventory to deal with pills.

The fact that it is real time also means that you can take advantage of the super useful weapon canceling mechanic.

You can also fully recover your stamina by popping just one herb pill.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I both hate and love this game.

This is so relatable it hurts.

Me: ''Fuck Resident Evil 6 it's a betrayal to this great survival horror franchise, I want my old school Resident Evil back.''

Also Me: ''Shut the fuck up Resident Evil 6 is one of the best action third person shooter ever made with great atmosphere, top tier combat, amazing monster design and kick ass characters.''

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love resident evil 6.
Resident Evil is about bio organic weapons not hallways, wooden boxes, and poker keys.

Things needed to get out of hand sooner or later and re6 displays this nicely.
Re2 remake would be just like re6 if Leon was running around out in the city.
Blasting and killing tons of nightmare creatures.

I get not everyone likes fast paced action but to me it's amazing.
To each their own.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps saying this but noone actually explains it, what is this untold stuff?

Dodging stationary, left, right, backwards, diving, sliding, rolling around, context-sensitive parrying, auto-gun attack that takes stamina. You can hit an enemy from behind to put them into stun. There are a couple of shortcut commands too.

The game is never demanding enough for you to do most of this, so it's mostly as useless as it is robust. You can get some mileage out of it in Mercs No Mercy though.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is never demanding enough for you to do most of this, so it's mostly useless.

Sorry but that is such a silly thing to say.

Just like it would be silly to say that about DMC, Bayonetta, Vanquish, God Hand and many other games with deep mechanics.

You can beat all these games easily by doing very basic things but that would be your loss.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Just like it would be silly to say that about DMC, Bayonetta, Vanquish, God Hand and many other games with deep mechanics.

You can beat all these games easily by doing very basic things but that would be your loss.

Not really. You can eek by with healing spam in those games, but they encourage you to play far better with the combo and ranking systems and high difficulty, encouraging longer combos and better enemy manipulation.

RE's ranking system barely cares what you do. The game barely cares what you do. The encounter design is pathetic and enemies melt just fine if you shoot them enough. Mercs No Mercy is a cake walk until it 3-5 minutes in, and the optimal way to play is executing enemies. Very abrupt skill ceiling as far as the game is concerned, but yeah, you can make your own fun.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. You can eek by with healing spam in those games, but they encourage you to play far better with the combo and ranking systems.

RE's ranking system barely cares what you do.

Yes really.

You can play Vanquish like a basic cover shooter but that would be completely missing the point of what makes the game special.

Who gives a shit about rank? It's about having all these cool mechanics at your disposal and feeling like a badass. I wouldn't love DMC or Bayonetta any less if they didn't have ranking systems.

It's like that guy in the DMC5 thread who thought he was special because he spammed a basic combo to get through DMC1-4.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Agreed but I think the developer should at least try to encourage you to utilize the mechanics by putting in enemies and bosses that requires players to use as much mechanics as possible.

Also, ''BadWolf'' huh.....you like my big brother or something?