• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding the hate for 5 it was essentially a refined RE4 what did you guys not like about it?
A game that does not work well if not played with another person because the A.I. is incredibly stupid, marking the beginning of co-op for the entirety of an RE game and contributing to eliminating any and all tension that still existed even as late as RE4 (rather than segments where you weren't alone being only a reprieve), adding autosave checkpoints instead of needing to save manually also affecting this, an inventory system regressed in the same way as older RE games in its limitations after being improved in RE4 and made real-time on top of everything else, a plain shop/upgrade system between chapters that doesn't have even half the personality or memorability of the merchants in RE4, recycling scenarios already used in the game immediately before it, Capcom being completely dense about things like the African tribesmen enemies after scrambling to introduce Sheva and white enemy NPCs following the poor optics the game already had, and arguably taking the story more seriously than the series ever had up until that point after RE4 embraced its absurdity couldn't have been further from refinements.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE5 definitely does not have the same issues as 6. The most glaring problem 6 has is that you spend the vast majority of the game fighting dumbass, annoying commandos (albeit mutant commandos) with guns. You spend most of a numbered RE game in firefights. That sucks. Yes, the gameplay is a lot more nimble and versatile than most other TPS game so it's hardly a stock-still cover-based game, but it's still lame, especially when the zombies in RE6 are a lot more fun and satisfying to fight. RE5 does have you fending off against some gun-wielding baddies, but they're relegated entirely to some of the chapters at the end of the game, and not even all of them.

RE6 also has a horribly unfun and inefficient inventory/weapon system that's an embarrassing step back from RE4's and 5's in every conceivable way (no item box, no merchant, weapons are locked on a per-character basis, no way to store/retrieve weapons in any way), and it severely hurts replay value too. The general pacing and encounter design for a lot of RE6 is just terrible too. There's some less good fights in RE5, but nothing even close to the misery of RE6's boss fights against tanks and helicopters, the cricket snipers, god awful jeep racing section, stealth segments, the convoluted as fuck battleship hanger area. The only distinct areas where RE6 unquestionably improves on RE5 is by giving the AI partner infinite health and ammo, and the increase in overall game length is a plus just in terms of raw numbers (even though so much of that extra playtime is a mistake).
The movement speed, the responsiveness of the movement itself, the shooting (firing rate, feel, aiming), counters, dodging, firing from the ground, rolling, quick shot, camera distance, control layout, the block life system, being able to heal on the fly by storing herbs in your case... basically everything pertaining to actual gameplay is better in 6. It goes far beyond the AI. Simple things like your character not having to stop to pick items up or climbing and dropping down being the same button as sprinting are huge. The cross reticle is much better, and it always stays centered on the screen. In 5, you aim and the laser goes around everywhere, it's just awkward. The removal of weapon upgrades is fantastic, and so is the removal of the store. Finding weapons in game is far better. The addition of the skill system is also a nice touch, and adds greater depth as you can set yourself up for certain situations much better.

The inventory system in 6 is very good in that it allows you to quickly access everything (a much greater amount of things than you could carry in 5). It would never work in 5's system, and you can't pause the game like 4. I do agree that 5's setup was the best, and you should have been able to set up quick select buttons and store weapons you don't want to carry all the time. It would also be nice if any character could use any weapon. One complaint I do have regarding 6 is that it just always seemed like you should have one more inventory slot. Carrying all those weapons, but you couldn't carry much for ammo and it made mixing herbs difficult at times as you would have to choose to drop something. As for the series as a whole, I feel that they should have always had the Mercenaries mode set up in a way where you could choose your character and then choose a load out. I've never been a fan of characters being stuck with a specific load out in that mode.

I also feel 6 is much better in terms of enemy design and the atmosphere. It's a dark game for the most part that at least seems to have that horror visual. The Zombies are definitely the most fun part, but the other enemies were very good as well. The mutations and variations were impressive, and it kept you on your toes. 5 was completely lacking in that department, and the enemy designs are some of the worst in the series. I also think the story is worse, though it is more focused. 6 having all the stories running separately and intersecting at points was well done, and it was especially great when the game was new as you would team up with other players at various points online.

As far as having good fights is concerned, I've been playing RE5 since yesterday coming off of 6 the day before, and I'll say this: The worst parts of 6, predominantly Jake's campaign, never go as low as RE5 is for the duration. So we're at opposite ends here. IMO, the gameplay is so inferior that even segments that should be good, the 1-1 executioner (first boss), are more of a chore to play. The slowness of firing and movement, and the clunkiness of the movement hamper the experience tremendously. SIlly things like when he goes to swing his axe you have to walk backwards slowly, quick turn and run, or run past him and turn around, are simply not intuitive. RE5's gameplay simply hasn't aged well at all. This is evident having played 6 just before it. Even normal encounters just aren't that fun because the controls are a huge step back from 6, and just navigating movement on the field around enemies or aiming is just not very good.

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I still wish RE7 was like RE6 but less bloated and with better pacing, mechanically this game is a masterpiece.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Steam version is automatically up to date. All I can recommend is starting a new game, playing a bit, and then quitting to the main menu or rebooting the game. I've never had a problem with Mercenaries failing to unlock.

Incidentally, you have to go back to the main menu in order to access stuff like the FOV sliders. Also make sure you turn on Auto Action Button.
So I started Ada campaign, played for a bit, died in super narrow corridor because I didn't know how to dodge,returned to main menu, Mercanaries Mode still locked...

I found the Jill model and other neat ones on this forum.

Thanks! :) Downloaded fluffys modmanager I suppose that's what I need to run those mods?

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not understanding the hate for 5 it was essentially a refined RE4 what did you guys not like about it?

RE5 is fine when it's copy-pasting stuff from RE4. In which case you'd be better off playing RE4 because 1) you probably already own it, and 2) you don't have to worry about the AI partner running off and getting killed.

Any time RE5 is not directly copying RE4 it sucks.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
RE5 is fine when it's copy-pasting stuff from RE4. In which case you'd be better off playing RE4 because 1) you probably already own it, and 2) you don't have to worry about the AI partner running off and getting killed.

Any time RE5 is not directly copying RE4 it sucks.
Yeah I remember the demo of RE5 got me pretty hyped, because that first area in the game is clearly an echo of the opening village encounter in RE4, and I loved it....only to find out in the real game that it all falls apart after that. The best moments in 5 were already done better in 4.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured it out. Germany. USK. Censorship.
>.>

It's still in the game, but I have to beat all campaigns only then I am worthy to kill dead people.

I think I'll refund.

<.<

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still wish RE7 was like RE6 but less bloated and with better pacing, mechanically this game is a masterpiece.

This has always been one of my hopes. The gameplay of RE6 itself is worthy of a better put together game.
I'm hoping either Dino Crisis is taking the action mantle or they are doing it for Rev 3/A new spinoff.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
This has always been one of my hopes. The gameplay of RE6 itself is worthy of a better put together game.
I'm hoping either Dino Crisis is taking the action mantle or they are doing it for Rev 3/A new spinoff.

A new Dino Crisis game based on the style of Dino Crisis 2 (more actiony and score based) with RE6's gameplay, would be a match made in heaven.

Dino Crisis 2 was such an amazing game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I still haven't played it but 6 can't possibly be sillier and more obnoxious than 5, or can it...?

Does it have a constant shitty-AI-having partner as well? Or maybe two of them to up the ante?

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I love about games like this, you can learn cool new stuff even after playing for years.

Agreed. While I do think RE6 skipped imparting some really important stuff to the player (the tech roll after knockdown particularly is a gamechanger), I do appreciate how RE6 harkens back to an era of mythic arcade secrets that are discovered by accident and shared among players, sometimes long after the game is released. In that regard, it truly is like a PlatinumGames title, since they subscribe to the same philosophy.

A new Dino Crisis game based on the style of Dino Crisis 2 (more actiony and score based) with RE6's gameplay, would be a match made in heaven.

I love love love adore Dino Crisis 2 but a big part of that game's appeal is the surreal, desolate atmosphere, and the fixed pre-rendered cameras (here we go again) are a big part of that. If I can keep that, I'd prefer that.

But if Dino Crisis were to come back with RE6 as a model, ie a larger than life, in-your-face visceral, balls to the wall epic just like RE6 is, then that'd be fine too.

I don't hold out hope though, since there's basically 3 people in the world who actually want Dino Crisis back.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best campaign out of the main 3?

I bought the PS4 remaster and still havent touched it yet lol. Got too many games to play still, but Im totally going to play this before 2 comes out!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's a fuckin' terrible game, and I loved the fuck out of RE4 and RE5.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
What is the best campaign out of the main 3?

I bought the PS4 remaster and still havent touched it yet lol. Got too many games to play still, but Im totally going to play this before 2 comes out!

While it doesn't have the best chapters, Chris' is probably the best overall. It has the fewest weak spots and certainly has the best story.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I know it's weird to complain about a game having too much content but four campaigns? Really? I beat two and I was done with the game. So much bullshit could have been cut out. The stealth sections, the driving, the QTEs, the Ace Combat stuff, the whole thing is such a bloated mess.

And why was the ammunition so scarce? I feel like resource management is something that should have been thrown out the window when they decided to make a crazy action game.

OP
OP
matrix-cat

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished up Chris' campaign, a.k.a. Chris & Piers: Best Friends Against the World, a.k.a. Gears of War 2 but Japanese, and I loved it. We drove cars, we flew planes, the final boss had the correct number of forms (i.e. like fifty), and it all ended with our favouritest, handsomest Resident Evil boy back in action as the Chris Roidfield we all know he is. I just want to say, though, that not bringing back Roger Craig Smith for RE7 after his career-defining performance as Punished Chris may be Capcom's greatest betrayal of all. Unforgivable. Unacceptable. Capcom why?

OK, so that's two campaigns down and two to go, and I can't wait to get started as Troy Baker tomorrow. I feel like the best way to describe Resident Evil 6 is to imagine a game where, at every possible fork in the road of the development process, the developers consulted a gif of Chris punching the boulder in RE5 for answers.

"How should we do this part of the game?"

8etYltX.gif

"Yes, perfect!"

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say, though, that not bringing back Roger Craig Smith for RE7 after his career-defining performance as Punished Chris may be Capcom's greatest betrayal of all.

Even though Alyson Court has him beat as the actor reprising their character the most times in Resident Evil, he's definitively Chris for me, more than any other character in the franchise.

I can only assume that... thing in RE7 is some sort of BOW imposter.

OP
OP
matrix-cat

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Jake and Sherry's campaign, and, OK, even I can admit that there was some straight up garbage in there :P

But I liked Troy Jaker, and I really liked grown-up Super Sherry. I thought they made a great team, and I was glad to see them end up as the closest thing Resident Evil characters can come to being a couple by the end (which is to say 'good friends who will never ever fuck but might cast a wistful glance at eachother every few years'). I really enjoyed the dynamic of Jake clearly being a little bit superhuman, but Sherry nevertheless being determined to save his life, and I loved some of the ridiculous setpieces like the motorcycle chase and the endless Ustanak fights. There's nothing that says 'Resident Evil' to me like a boss that just keeps coming back and coming back no matter how much ammunition you dump into them, and the fact that one of those phases was a hand-to-hand slugfest had me roaring.

And then there was the stealth section, though. And the 'slide all the way to the bottom of the hill' section. And the snowmobile section where I died like ten times in the same spot and had to hear the saaaaaame soundbytes over and over and over. While every campaign had its boneheaded moments, Jake's felt like a nexus of all the dumb design decisions in the game. And, unfortunately, some of the weirder story ideas, too. What were Jake and Sherry doing in that facility in China for six months? Just waiting around for the calendar to line up with Leon and Chris' China sections before they attempted an escape?

So anyway, I enjoyed all the campaigns so far, but I'd say my favourite of the main three was Leon's. I think it had the most enjoyable stupid dumb fun with the most enjoyable enemies to fight, and that nice RE4 throwback early on. Though, while it was nice fighting alongside Laura Bailey, Piers and Sherry definitely have Helena beat as far as co-op partners go. I don't know, I liked all the campaigns in their own way, and now I'm enjoying Ada's too. At this point I can definitely see where a lot of the complaints come from with this game, but I still like it an awful lot and I'd love to see Capcom go back to ridiculous superhero action RE at some point. Just keep the scale under control and concentrate those resources into one good campaign, rather than four pretty good ones with a lot of really dumb bits interspersed :P

Last edited:

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I was glad to see them end up as the closest thing Resident Evil characters can come to being a couple by the end (which is to say 'good friends who will never ever fuck but might cast a wistful glance at eachother every few years').

Nah, Leon and Ada have definitively got the RE sexual tension thing on lock. And of course it'll never happen.

the snowmobile section where I died like ten times

This bit is actually really fun when you learn how to do it reliably.

Jake 2 gets a lot of shit but it's one of my favourite chapters in the game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This bit is actually really fun when you learn how to do it reliably.

I'd say this applies to RE6 in general, there is various stuff that will annoy you in your first playthrough but will be a complete non-issue the next time you play it simply because you know how to get through it this time.

That's why I enjoyed the subsequent playthroughs a lot more.

RE6 has the added bonus of giving you not only a chapter select but actually a section select within chapters so you can simply skip portions of the chapters you don't like. I would have killed for a Verse select like this in Bayonetta so I could skip garbage like the harrier Verse and skip straight to the Jeanne fight. You can do this in RE6.

Some people are down on having many campaigns but I kinda see it as an added bonus when replaying the game. Leon's is my fave but it's still good to have a bunch more campaigns to go through here and there for variety instead of just being stuck with one. And of course, people's choices vary a lot when it comes to which campaign they prefer, some like Leon's whereas others prefer Ada's or Sherry/Jake's etc.