• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
I decided earlier this year I would wait until October to play RE7 for my October horror marathon and because it would probably be on sale (me being perpetually broke). Finally downloaded it a few nights ago and I'm a couple hours in.

The atmosphere of this game is incredible. It's not so much scary but is definitely unsettling. I think at the start playing in first person kept me on edge but as I've gone along there hasn't been a whole lot of scares. I'm liking the boss fights a lot too, it's so much more than just firing a weapon. Using the environment and searching for items mid battle keeps the fight interesting.

Really happy to see Capcom decided to reinvent the series after 6. From what I've played thus far RE7 is the shot in the arm the series needed.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Perfect place to ask:

Any idea if the pre-order bonus will be a part of the Gold Edition? That little basement next to the living room with some bonus items.
It's completely unimportant, but I've always really wanted to check that place out by myself.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the vanilla version of this for cheap last week, it'll be with me in a few days hopefully.

I didn't even know there was a Gold version. I guess I'll have to wait a couple years to get it on PSN for free, or heavily discounted.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It's coming out later this year, but it's basically the game + season pass. I think there isn't even any indication if the DLC is on disk or a simple download code. Either way, it would be a bit useless if it was on disk, since they haven't finished releasing all the extra episodes, you would end up with an incomplete disk anyway.

Here's hoping for Resident Evil 7: Super Turbo Edition I guess.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, definitely a step in the right direction for the series.

With a stronger last third and more varied enemy designs, it could have been a classic.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Before the initial release of the game, I was kind of turned off by the first-person perspective. I thought it'd very much be a hide-athon or one of those "walking simulators" with jump scares sprinkled from hallway to hallway. Thankfully I was wrong. After playing the game and beating it, I can honestly say that I loved it and it is a welcome installment in the series. While the game took the series into a different direction, it brought back a lot of things I loved about the first couple of Resident Evil games. I love this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Love Resi 7!

Really want to play the DLC from earlier this year, but from what I hear, I should wait for a sale. Too bad the Gold Edition is coming out in December, that probably means no sale on the pass for the foreseeable future.

AussieCedric

Oct 25, 2017
I
The atmosphere of this game is incredible. It's not so much scary but is definitely unsettling. .

Game scares the shit outta me. Playing in VR with headphones, I think it should come with a warning for people who have anxiety or heart troubles... lol. Even just playing on the regular TV is intense. I love it, great game and I've played through multiple times

I haven't purchased the season pass though, from what I saw it looks kinda whack, that card game looked pretty gimmicky, and there's also a horde mode or something right? I would buy it immediately if it's simply more RE7, creeping around in moody environments etc but doesn't seem like they've gone that way with the DLC?

OP
OP

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
While the game took the series into a different direction, it brought back a lot of things I loved about the first couple of Resident Evil games. I love this game.

This is why I loved BotW too. It did such a great job reinventing itself yet kept a lot of what you loved about the original games. They both took the best parts of their series and sprinkled in enough of it to the dna for it to feel completely fresh yet also familiar.

Game scares the shit outta me. Playing in VR with headphones, I think it should come with a warning for people who have anxiety or heart troubles... lol. Even just playing on the regular TV is intense. I love it, great game and I've played through multiple times

If I could I'd play this in VR, I know for a fact that would be scary. I'd probably piss and or shit myself while doing so.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I played through this whole thing in VR and loved it. It's definitely the way to go. Just accidentally rebought it for PC and Xbox One X in the Halloween half price sale. Ooops! It's not the best game, mechanically or story wise... but it was probably the best *experience* the series has offered for me so far, at least in VR.

Hopefully the windows store version will get VR support down the line so I don't rebuy it a fourth time :P

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I was quite excited for Resident Evil 7 and saw a ton of potential before release that many weren't seeing blinded by the camera angle change to mean it was an Amnesia or Outlast clone, but I was quite satisfied with the final result and I'm happy many were too.

It's not perfect, there is room for improvement in a similarly styled sequel, but I'd say it has some very fantastic moments sprinkled throughout and is a pretty great little horror experience. Excited for the Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLCs!

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
So happy when i see a LTTP for RE7. Enjoyed it so much.

OP if and or when you get a HDR display, you must revisit the game. One of the best implementations of HDR. The game really benefits and showcases how awesome it can make games look.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Not as scary as some of the previous Resident Evil titles, but was wonderfully atmospheric and did not overstay its welcome.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the free DLC doesn't end up being as combat focused as it currently looks.

Adam Ant

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 was suuuuch a pleasant surprise - Went in with some very tempered expectations, and left with the sense that the dev team really *got* what made RE1-4 so special, from a gameplay perspective. An expanded sequel with some light immersive-sim elements is an absolute dream game.
Sidenote: Is there another series that has flourished, and even managed to carry so many of its attributes, through as many perspective shifts as Resident Evil has? From Fixed/isometric to a pioneering over-the-shoulder camera, to first-person and now even great VR implementation, there's really a pretty impressive variety between even the mainline games.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had it for a few months but yet to play it. After this week's games...

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 was a great surprise. Loved the atmosphere and the little throw backs to the older games. Though, I thought the last third of the game was pretty weak.

I hope Not a Hero is decent.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
A great return to form, and it worked well with the first-person perspective

And love the way it looked, the Baker house is such a great location.
2E60C1CF60D49F38F6CC06038C2FBCC6BFC005D0

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
Great post. I really enjoyed RE7 played it all through the PSvr and set the bar for me of what a VR horror game should be.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I absolutely adore RE7, being easily my personal GOTY so far. It's exactly what i needed to be excited for RE games again, especially after playing REmake and Resident Evil 2. It's one of my favorite games of this gen, alongside Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and PUBG. And it quickly became one of my top 3 considering the whole franchise, losing only to REmake and RE4.

Despite not hating the later parts (except the section right before the last boss fight, it's really bad) as many people, it has some flaws on the last third, but it remained a really good horror game compared many other titles from the last 5 years. The pacing and level design were top notch, and i completely agree with you on the boss fights. They were fun, creative and a little bit crazy. Just like the Bakers, the heart and soul of RE7 for me. The entire time i was dealing with this family i felt that fun and cheesy B-movie type of experience, just like RE4 and earlier Resident Evil games, which made me feel right at home.

I can't say enough good things of this game. It was an amazing surprise for someone who loves horror games and the general RE series, even after expecting it for months with high expectations. It's defenitly not for everyone and it lacks the revolutionary perfection of RE4 and REmake, but if you like horror titles or RE, i highly recommend this one for you.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I'm still amazed that after RE6, which took place on 3 different continents, the follow-up has you back on one single farm estate (and surrounding locations) and just details the shit out of it and gives you a place to become familiar with again

624DF58048E9D3E29D828DBB09E165C5F054FF7E

22076B1AD5C4924E0601B6CF694718FD36ABCC9F

No matter what direction RE8 takes, I hope they don't forget what makes places like the Baker Farm, the Spencer Mansion, or Raccoon City great

OP
OP

Rock And Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it this morning. I'd say it's a solid 9/10. I really loved it but the last third wasn't too hot. I think the problem was they felt a need to tie the whole story together and they got a little too cute with it. I don't think most of us play the series for deep lore or anything, they can be silly and we'll go with it. They probably could have rewritten the story to keep everything at the Baker farm and made it a much tighter experience.

That being said, a small detail I loved during the ship section video tape is they made Mia/the camera rock with the boat. I used to do cruise ship work so I appreciated that small little touch (another reason I'm pretty fond of Revelations too).

I'm thinking I'll play through again around Christmas time on Madhouse difficulty and get the other ending. Overall it was a great return to form for the series and it leaves me with high hopes for RE8.

Columbina

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved RE7. OP I hope you're ready for possibly a very solid finale for RE7 as whole with Not a Hero and End of Zoe in december!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I envy you OP.

I wish I can replay RE7 for the first time again.. it is my GOTY.

I am def buying the Gold edition for the Xbox X

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it more then any other RE game. I'll play some more when I get the courage to do so. I'm a wuss when it comes to horror games.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about doing the speedrun or collectibles trophies for Halloween. This game really stresses me out in a good way. Too bad I'll never get a PSVR, I wouldn't mind trying it.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I thought it was the most solid RE title since RE4. The first-person view isn't what I really want in a Resi game, but it's a pretty good game nonetheless.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 in VR is a masterpiece.

RE7 not in VR is just okay
So not true, RE7 is a fantastic horror game without VR

I'm sure it's great in VR, but the high level of quality and artistry doesn't simply disappear when you play it on a regular screen, it's definitely the most polished horror game I've played in over a decade.

I'm looking forward to experiencing it with a VR headset eventually, whenever Capcom gives us some official support, I'm sure it will be something special with everything cranked to the max and some good headphones. PSVR looked pretty low res and muddy to me from the footage I saw, I'm sure it's still immersive and amazing, but there's so much detail crammed in RE7 it's a shame to see it reduced in any capacity.

The Joker

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing the game when it released, and purchasing PSVR just last month, I'm regretting that I did not save it for the whole VR experience! The game itself did more or less what I was hoping the scrapped Silent Hill would do. But when adding VR to the mix, it takes it to another level!

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. Great atmosphere, cool story, sensational villains, good replay value. I hope for more like this in the future.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
So not true, RE7 is a fantastic horror game without VR

I'm sure it's great in VR, but the high level of quality and artistry doesn't simply disappear when you play it on a regular screen, it's definitely the most polished horror game I've played in over a decade.

I'm looking forward to experiencing it with a VR headset eventually, whenever Capcom gives us some official support, I'm sure it will be something special with everything cranked to the max and some good headphones. PSVR looked pretty low res and muddy to me from the footage I saw, I'm sure it's still immersive and amazing, but there's so much detail crammed in RE7 it's a shame to see it reduced in any capacity.

I'm telling you wait till you try it in VR. I so wish everyone could experience it that way first its just not even comparable. It would be like your first play through of Mario 64 on release being on a tablet.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
To me RE7 overall was a huge positive surprise. I liked it quite a bit. Though by the end I was a bit less enthusiastic because of the subpar last third of the game and most importantly the severe lack of enemy and encounter variety. Still, overall I would say it's my third favorite RE, after RE4 and the HD remastered remake of RE1.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm telling you wait till you try it in VR. I so wish everyone could experience it that way first its just not even comparable. It would be like your first play through of Mario 64 on release being on a tablet.
I'll take your word for it, It's something I'm definitely looking forward to. I do wish I could erase my memory to play it through blind again, I'd looove to see what getting my arm chainsawed off looks like in VR.

Maybe I'll get to experience something like it with fresh eyes it if they go the same route with RE8 (and somehow get PC VR on launch day :3)

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Best RE game since 4, no doubt.

It does feel unfinished, though.

Yeah totally that, just done it thanks to the PSN promo.
Really like it but damn it's short. Finished it in 9 hour ( in easy, don't laugh i just can't take the pressure, i want ammo. ) and i like to take my times. I never run, always walked to take the most out of the ambiance. the fact that the mercenary mode was a dlc is hard to accept, same for difficulty mode, WTF ! 3 types of ennemies LOL come on ! 2 boss ! But even with all that, freaking good game !
Have high hopes for the next DLC, don't screw it up Capcom but i have trust.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's my GOTY. Completely unexpected, I think fps horror might be my absolute favourite combination of genres.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'll take your word for it, It's something I'm definitely looking forward to. I do wish I could erase my memory to play it through blind again, I'd looove to see what getting my arm chainsawed off looks like in VR.

Maybe I'll get to experience something like it with fresh eyes it if they go the same route with RE8 (and somehow get PC VR on launch day :3)

They just made really brilliant decisions with regard to VR where you are utterly transported. It is without a doubt the scariest experience of my life outside of a real serial killer hunting me down in my home. The first time you see
Mel climbing the stairs toward you like a spider
my whole body froze. I honestly couldn't move at all my whole body locked up. When you get a headshot on a mutant by leaning your head so you can aim around his hand that is shielding his head its such a different feeling of accomplishment.

Harley Quinn

User was banned for account sharing.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum
Game $60 + VR stuff $500 + DLC $40 + Tax. Game was pretty good but not $600 good. Finished in 7 hours first time.

Improvement next time: Third person view and bring back classic characters and enemies!

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who hates the Resi games that are survival-horror based. Sometimes I feel like I should euthanize him for saying such blasphemous things.