• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I have a confession everyone. Prior to the release of the Resident Evil 2 remake a few weeks ago, I had never played an RE game before. I never had a PS1 or Saturn to play the original trilogy or Code Veronica, REmake and Zero flew under my radar, RE4 looked cool at the time but I was too caught up in the Halo 2 Xbox Live craze so I skipped it, RE5 and 6 never looked appealing to me, and I haven't had the time tackle 7 in my ever growing backlog of games (it sucks getting old and having less time to play).

So RE2 remake comes out, I thought it looked really cool, and my friend whom I share my Steam libraries with got the game through AMD's promotion for buying their GPUs (which also included DMC5 and The Division 2).

I play through Claire A and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME. I thoroughly enjoyed the slow pace, finding keys, avoiding enemies, planning my routes to rooms I needed to go, the story beats. I couldn't put the game down. I immediately start my 2nd run with Leon and get the true ending, which then opened up this void in my heart.

I needed more Resident Evil.

After some research, I decided to pick up REmake. Coming into this game, I simply wanted more of what I enjoyed out of RE2, and if the game could give me that, then I'd be satisfied.

REmake not only gave me what I wanted... it gave me one the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.

resident-evil-remake-buttonjpg-8ddcc5.jpg

First of all, good god this game BREATHES atmosphere. Every area in this game has this ever looming feeling of dread and gloom that continuously ramps up as you progress through the game. I would get into specifics but honestly if you've never played the game the less you know the better. Just know that handcrafted work makes up every section of the game to really sell the idea that you're alone in a haunted mansion fending for your life.

The gameplay compliments the themes of the game beautifully as well. Not knowing what's around the corner, scavaging rooms for what little ammo remains, having near anxiety breakdowns as you're low on health but have zero ink ribbons. Everything is coherent.

However, tank controls? Sorry RE purists, I opted for the updated control scheme that gives full analog control. It makes escaping from zombies a little easier than intended, but I just don't believe making your player character more of a chore to move actually adds to the "survival horror" aspect, but I digress.

Playing this game in the middle of the night with the lights off and headphones on makes for a truly surreal experience. It was then after I got the credits to roll that I asked myself... why doesn't a game like this exist in any form today? Sure, RE2 remake was great, but it's still a far cry from REmakes atmosphere. I can 100% understand why none of the AAA publishers are not interested in creating a game like REmake, but what about indie developers? When it comes to these long-forgotten gameplay styles, it's indies that take on the task of recreating that magic. I need some more fixed camera angles, non-mobile shooting, limited saves, etc damnit!

I just wanted to inform everyone that this game has already become an all-time favorite. I'm playing through RE7 right now and I'm enjoying the RE1 callbacks, but I'm still itching to play something more like REmake. Anybody got any suggestions?

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Now, do a speed run with invisible enemies on the hardest difficulty.

Loved the game when it was Gamecube, loved the game when it came to steam. Great games will always be timeless in my mind. :)

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favorite games of all time. RE2 remake was awesome, but you're right - nothing compares to the original game's atmosphere and challenge. The puzzles are harder in the first one too, which I appreciate.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
My first time playing the remake in 2002 the zombies coming back if you didn't blow off their heads or burn them scared the living crap out of me.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, OP. It's one of the best games ever made and there really isn't anything else quite like it.

RE0 is a similar type of game with similar atmosphere, but I don't think it's a good game. Still may be worth checking out, though. You can't go wrong with RE3 either, even though it's dated visually compared with REmake.

Consider the Fatal Frame series if you're looking for something similar. The first game in particular gives off a similar "trapped in a haunted mansion" vibe.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Now it's time for 7!

(Seriously tho, if you liked what REmake 1 and 2 did, you should definitely give this one a chance. It has everything you liked about those games, in a fresh and imtimate approach that genuinely feels like the next step for Resident Evil. Don't sleep on it)

Ql3q8R4.gif

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I agree OP, these are the games we are missing. Check out The Evil Within 2. It's not as good but its pretty damn fantastic if you like the RE-makes. I liked the original Evil Within as well but the second one improves on everything from the original.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to these long-forgotten gameplay styles, it's indies that take on the task of recreating that magic. I need some more fixed camera angles, non-mobile shooting, limited saves, etc damnit!

Try Viviette. It's more Clock Tower than RE, but it's very clever. Has some great moody atmosphere, good scares, convincing for a 2D game, and exploring the mansion/solving puzzles is reminiscent of RE.

OP
OP
Sir_Bumble_Bee
Oct 25, 2017
Why? because it didn't sell

You want more like this? Play RE:0.
I heard Zero can be a frustrating game, which is why I've been putting off until after I finish RE7 and DMC5
Games that don't sell good don't get more games like that.
Depressing world we live in
You should play the original RE2, RE0 and RE3. Three is easily my favorite.
Not gonna lie, the PS1 games look a little rough to go back to. I feel like the age and 90s video game VA can take its toll on the atmosphere, which is what these games heavily rely on.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
However, tank controls? Sorry RE purists, I opted for the updated control scheme that gives full analog control. It makes escaping from zombies a little easier than intended, but I just don't believe making your player character more of a chore to move actually adds to the "survival horror" aspect, but I digress

That's fair but I generally still recommend new players try to get used to tank controls simply because without tank controls camera transitions are SUPER jarring. I've messed around with the non-tank controls and the number of times I got owned by an enemy because I got "stuck" on a camera transition sucked.

Having said that, if tank controls are an absolute no go for you then check out the N64 version of RE2 as it has the option for 3D movement much like the REmake. It's a dated game for sure but I think you'll enjoy seeing what they kept and what they changed and the audio design goes a long way towards retaining the moody atmosphere. I wouldn't call it scary but the occasional jump scare still lands. Also, the VO is cheesy but in the most fun way.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I heard Zero can be a frustrating game, which is why I've been putting off until after I finish RE7 and DMC5
not really, unless you have absolutely no patience. it's about live character swapping so naturally that leads to a lot of minor trial and error (who needs to be where with what item) sometimes. never was an issue for me personally back in the day. absolutely loved it as a "more more more!!" fix after REmake set the bar so high (that still hasn't been surpassed).

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
As cool as REmake 1 is, its in desperate need of the RE2 remake treatment. It's also old and outdated at this point.
Amazing game though, and the first game is possibly the best in the series for me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People were not fans of the tank controls, fixed camera, and backtracking puzzles, so those all went away in 4 onward until 7 with a few exceptions

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It's the greatest remake ever and one of the best games ever.

A shame RE2 and 3 remakes didn't/won't follow its footsteps.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

Depressing world we live in

Not gonna lie, the PS1 games look a little rough to go back to. I feel like the age and 90s video game VA can take its toll on the atmosphere, which is what these games heavily rely on.
Yes, they're ugly by today's standards. But they have all the elements that made you love REmake. The slow place, careful planning, avoiding enemies, amazing music, and fantastic atmosphere.

My imagination would run wild trying to reconstruct what happened(how it played out) on every room/location. That's one of the things I miss about pre-rendered backgrounds.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
REmake is my favorite game ever, it's probably the game I've beaten the most times. Still, the atmosphere feels amazing after all this time and all those playthroughs.

Even though I enjoyed RE4 to RE6, RE2make and RE7 has made me really look forward to and be hopeful about the future of the franchise. Can't wait for RE8 and a possible RE3make.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
REMake is the best Remake. Yes REMake 2 was good, no denying that but REMake set the bar and it hasn't been surpassed.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a masterpiece and I'm glad you loved it.

I'm still pondering which one I prefer between REmake and RE2-R.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
However, tank controls? Sorry RE purists, I opted for the updated control scheme that gives full analog control. It makes escaping from zombies a little easier than intended, but I just don't believe making your player character more of a chore to move actually adds to the "survival horror" aspect, but I digress.
That´s where you are wrong. The classic controls are absolutely perfect for the type of game it is. Analog controls make this way too easy.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
what a great thread - I'm just overjoyed to read that someone who has never played RE (prior to RE2make) can pick up and enjoy a 2002 remake of a 1996 game. That is good fucking game design, man.

I loved what we got with RE2make but maaaaaan, I would have adored a lavish pre-rendered version of RE2. My goodness.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I know I much prefer Crimson Heads over the zombies in RE2 giving no fucks I head shot them and put em down. At least I got kerosene to make sure they stay down.

Oct 30, 2017
The Spencer Mansion is the most atmospheric and perfect location for survival horror game..... it's beyond iconic and even after all thede years still gives me the best creep ever.

The game is a timeless masterpiece in every way, so sad it didn't sell well when it was released back then... so underrated.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I played and beat it for the first time right before RE2 Remake came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will definitely be replaying it again soon.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Welcome to the family friend.

There's really nothing else like the classic RE feeling you are craving for. Silent Hill would be the closest one (32bit era and above) but its not the same.

I would actually suggest you play RE2 (the original) as it has the methodical gameplay you are looking for.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Tank controle are an integral part of the game regardless if you believe it suits you or not. It totally add to the survival horror aspect because you have to commit to your actions. Modern controls doesn't make the game slightly easier, it makes it trivial

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Tank controle are an integral part of the game regardless if you believe it suits you or not. It totally add to the survival horror aspect because you have to commit to your actions. Modern controls doesn't make the game slightly easier, it makes it trivial

Yep, this. Was completely with you until you talked about the controls, this game is a masterpiece and part of that is the balance around how your characters can't zip around on a dime. The problem with the modern analog controls is that there is no turning speed, you can literally do a 180 without any animation and fly around the rooms. Regular zombies are no longer a threat like they are supposed to be. They could have done the analog (camera relative) controls but added the same restrictions the tank (character relative) ones do and kept the game balance, but they didn't and made it easy mode instead.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
I dont know what it is but I just don't enjoy remake hd. Twice I've tried playing through twice I've just stopped, yet I can still play the original re1 no problem. Yet re2 remake I love almost as much as original re2.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Now it's time for 7!

(Seriously tho, if you liked what REmake 1 and 2 did, you should definitely give this one a chance. It has everything you liked about those games, in a fresh and imtimate approach that genuinely feels like the next step for Resident Evil. Don't sleep on it)

Ql3q8R4.gif
Agreed 100%. RE7 feels like the natural evolution of the original formula