• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
After somehow not playing this series aside from dabbling with RE2 as a kid, I finally decided to dive right in. I soon realized just how influential these games have been, and I was caught off-guard more than a handful of times.

21BnjEo.jpg

So I boot up the OG Resident Evil and am immediately surprised by a live action intro sequence that I never knew about. Look at the fucking hair on Wesker's actor. These people are marching through an open field at night, and this man wears his sunglasses. They stumble upon a mansion in the middle of nowhere that apparently nobody performs lawn care for. I'm not sure where the inhabitants parked. But onto the action. Playing as Jill, I quickly learn about characters I never heard of before and have now already forgotten besides Barry. As I begin my exploration, I start to see just how fucking weird this mansion is.

psRygUn.jpg

The owners of this place casually placed random traps because why not. I encounter this firsthand by grabbing a conspicuously placed shotgun, triggering a mechanism in the wall. The ceiling in the next room comes slowly down, almost making me a Jill sandwich. Why would any architect design this in a living space? It's just weird. There's the mansion's true purpose underground, but then topside the place seems mostly uninhabited (even unlivable) and has random shit like this. But I'll just write it off as some eccentric millionaire finding ways to spend money. This point being one example, Barry just randomly pops in and out of JIll's route like it's nobody's business. But he's a helpful ally who would certainly never betray his teammates in the interest of protecting his family.

fgRACj6.jpg

By this point in the game I'm acquainted with how resource-limited the player is. Ammo comes infrequently and hostiles for the most part do not respawn, allowing me to plan out and ration which enemies are worth taking down. It's a fine balance, although I never reached the point where I was completely ammo-less and had to rely on the combat knife or running if I didn't have it on hand. Even more curious is that there is a limit to saving the game; you can only do so with consumable items. I didn't come too close to running out, but what if I had depleted every Ink Ribbon available to me? It does take away a safety net for the player, but I can imagine how annoying it would be to be if I completely ran through the supply.

The game just gets weirder the more I progress. Itchy tasty. You've got a giant snake chilling in the attic and giant spiders crawling around in the game room, not zombified at all. There's a shark casually swimming around in the basement. An Umbrella employee set the password for his company login to a three-character name on an all-caps keyboard consisting only of letters. There are some head-scratching moments sprinkled here and there for using a specific item at a specific place, compounded by the limited inventory and having to find a box to get who knows what item. At some points the game felt like a glorified ad for strategy guides. It was almost like a point-and-click adventure game but with zombies and shooting.

hvcaFf0.png

Then we learn that one of Jill's cop buddies is a traitor. Who could it possibly be? Surely not Wesker wearing sunglasses with a labcoat in the Umbrella slideshow. Nah, couldn't be. After taking him down and reuniting with Barry I soon met what I assume to be the core specimen of the virus research or whatever. It is known as Tyrant, the ultimate life form:

sd6rIHE.jpg

What could possibly have prepared ordinary humans to fight the most powerful of specimens when even their firearms struggled against the lesser enemies? Oh oops I killed it in 3 gunshots. Okay then. Time to run. Oh it's back and actually invincible this time. The final boss of this game isn't the Tyrant itself, but fighting the changing camera angles and tank controls to flee Capcom's naked, assymmetrically misshapen Juggernaut. Then I get tossed an OP weapon at a convenient time and blast the zombie thing to smithereens. Bye-bye mansion.

y4Cbyhj.png

Overall Resident Evil was a fun game with its drawbacks being mostly due to lack of refinement. It was the first of its kind so that was bound to be the case. I'm aware that there is a moderately different playthrough when playing as Chris, but I think I will put that off until later. There is the remake as well, which gives me decision overload on how to proceed. Eventually I do want to experience all routes in both games, but that's for another day. What I did for the time being was proceed right onto Resident Evil 2, the series's first real shiny gem.

cBxqvP7.png

What's more interesting than some shitty old mansion when it comes to zombies? An infested city, particularly one of its last safeholds leaking with zombies. It doesn't take long to see what an improvement this game is over its predecessor. The exploration is much more concise; backtracking is not as frequent and is more like "Aha, I just need to get to that place from earlier" instead of RE1's "Where the hell am I supposed to go now?" Every single environment is more detailed and feels real compared to the sparsely decorated mansion. This is best seen with the one area in the PD that is suspiciously identical in layout to a room in the mansion:

s4sqzrP.jpg
FbxtxE7.jpg

Only thing I found to be a downgrade is that zombies seem to eat more lead this time around, at least with the standard handgun. Ammo is more common, but I preferred having less and not needing to use as much. Fortunately by this point I've had some practice blowing heads off with the shotgun, so it's not a huge deal. This sequel does not shy away from the weird puzzles of the first game, and in that sense it's even funnier. It can't be explained away by some weird rich people throwing money down a hole; the game itself more or less states that people at the police department just make strange decisions more often than not. Also the police station houses giant spiders that are just giant spiders, like in the mansion.

dijzWNf.jpg

Other than those bits, RE2's story is more grounded than the S.T.A.R.S. story from the previous game. You get to see more immediate effects of the virus with one of the first characters Leon meets. While I was prepared for any character I came across to unexpectedly become a zombie, Marvin here really drove the point home. I met him just after he suffered an attack that pretty much sealed his fate. When looking for the other cops as per his command, I had a sliver of hope that I would make it back to him in time, but in the back of my head I knew it would be too late by the time I reunited with Marvin. Recognizing his color-deprived enemy model against others left me unable to help but feel powerless to save him. Either by design or as an intended side effect of how enemies work, the game lets you choose to kill your relatively harmless former ally or leave him be to suffer his new existence. Pretty chilling against anything else in Resident Evil thus far.

6THjtyD.png

The ending bits were more or less the same song and dance as before. Umbrella had a research station reachable from the RPD for reasons I must have missed. The Ada twist was actually unexpected, not at all like the one with Wesker. This was no doubt aided by the fact that the game had me play as her at points, underhandedly getting me to trust her as a character. I chose Leon for this playthrough, and I liked him even more than Jill, though Jill is still cool. From what I understand, RE2 ups the ante with the multiple route playthroughs. Leon/Claire A/B whatever. I do plan to tackle every combination down the line, but I wanted to see what Resident Evil 3 had in store for me first.

rC4UsI2.png

Even though I overlooked Resident Evil as a whole, I still knew some beats and characters. RE1 is a mansion full of zombies, RE2 is a police station full of zombies, RE4 has to do with the president's daughter or something, RE5 has someone punch a boulder, etc. Yet I have heard absolutely nothing about 3 prior to playing it. Not a peep. Zilch. I didn't even know who the protagonist was beforehand. Is there a reason RE3 doesn't have much buzz compared to its brethren? While ultimately I rank it below the previous two games, it holds its weight perfectly well.

nBDywRn.jpg

First a mansion, then a police department, and now a trail mix of locations in Raccoon City. If nothing else, Resident Evil 3 gets points for environmental variety. You've got your standard city and lab areas like before, but you additionally get new locales like a park, cabin, or restaurant. No choice of protagonist this time around, however; it's Jill Valentine through and through. After departing from the random guy from the beginning, Jill sets off into the ruined streets of Raccoon City to do stuff. Unfortunately I did find RE3 to be more maze-like than even RE1, and this is most apparent in the beginning when figuring out where the hell to go. Hey, that building looks familiar. Can I go inside?

o8PXX3W.jpg

Oh look at that, it's the RPD from the previous game. I like when games do that. This is also where I first encountered RE3's central... thing: Nemesis. I'm just trekking through what's accessible in the place, backtracking through the room from RE2 that was identical to a room in RE1, when this asshole busts through a window and chases me with a speed that would make RE1's Tyrant look like a QWOP novice. At least this behemoth is clothed. Okay, heart rate's back to normal. What the hell was that thing?

YZ811br.jpg

I'm somewhat mixed on Nemesis. On one hand, it offers something that sets RE3 apart from the previous two games. This game could have been more of the same, but instead it challenges the player with a persistent obstacle that steals whatever scene it appears in. Nemesis is no cakewalk by any means. It is one scary puppy... at first. Then it just becomes an annoyance. Jump scares with this big dude they lose their potency fast. Although, with how much Nemesis throws itself in my face, it at least feels more like a proper antagonist than the unsurprising traitor guy whose name I forgot. But damn if it didn't just make me groan to return to where I knew it would be waiting for me later on.

TqiCJzW.jpg

Carlos is cool. He breathes an air of positivity in a setting where there's anything but. How come nobody talks about this man? Carlos is the only one I could trust when talking about the oddities of RE3. Raccoon City officially has weird-ass puzzles in random places from some lunatic mayor. The big bad evil organization is illegally operating in the place where the fecal matter of the city populace collects. The game makes these things clear in no uncertain terms. Carlos would have just laughed and told us to keep moving. Thank you, Carlos. Capcom, remake RE3 and expand this character's role.

u1zSXsn.jpg

For once the final boss is actually kind of something. Appropriately so, it's immune to anything Jill could personally dish out at it. Instead, there's the challenge of luring it in front of a laser that periodically annihilates anything in its path. If that's not enough, you can also shoot the thing again because screw you Nemesis. Fucking it up with such finality makes dealing with this asshole for most of the game worth it. Then for the ending I'm treated to seeing the city get wiped off the face of the earth. I found it to be a bold decision, cleaning the slate of the world built up from the series so far. Open-ended, but not a cliffhanger.

Vxu5aNT.jpg

Resident Evil 3 earned its seat at the big kids table, but I found it to be the most flawed of the original three. It felt like it had more backtracking and confusion of direction. Nemesis, while good if it were in small doses, was largely a nuisance. The conflict in this game was somewhat vague. The singular route naturally results in less replay value. The water level puzzle exists. Resident Evil 1 was mostly guilty of being rough around the edges, as comes with the territory of being first. Resident Evil 2 is a game with no flaws whatsoever youre not allowed to disagree ok

I'm glad to have finally given the Resident Evil series a chance after so long. Its influence is apparent. There's beaucoups of replay value waiting for me when I decide to return to these games. Once I take a break and cleanse my palate, I'll hop back on with Code Veronica X. Then perhaps 0 and then 4. I admit I'm hesitant with the latter because, despite the universal praise, it looks like a departure from what I enjoyed about 1-3. But we'll see.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I agree with you on most of the things you've written here OP. RE2 is best and RE3 is definitely the worst of the 3. I've been wanting to replay these myself, just don't have the time unfortunately.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
RE3 is still my favorite from the bunch, but I can understand your criticisms on it. Since that ends up being a lot of others complaints as well.
From the sound of things, you'll probably end up preferring CVX.

Now's the time to jump in with all of them being on sale atm.

OP
OP
Eblo

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 is still my favorite from the bunch, but I can understand your criticisms on it. Since that ends up being a lot of others complaints as well.
From the sound of things, you'll probably end up preferring CVX.

Now's the time to jump in with all of them being on sale atm.
I can see why someone would prefer RE3. It's clearly the most technically achieved of the bunch and arguably the most horrific. Glad to hear that Code Veronica could be even more my cup of tea. I'll definitely be making a haul from the Steam sale.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I picked up the original trilogy and a PS2 last year. It was so awesome to play these games again. I must of beat RE2 last year 6+ times.

Oct 28, 2017
RE3 is by far the most underappreciated game in the series. It's not my favourite by any means. As far as the original trilogy goes obviously RE2 is the best. But it does things that don't get enough credit and it was quality. Nemesis to this day is my favourite stalker enemy in gaming.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
RE1 is still my favorite of the original trilogy. 2 has great style and pacing and the best soundtrack of the series but it's ridiculously easy, even more so than the first game. (Which is only really difficult if you're playing the original non-Director's Cut western release.) RE3 is fine, mechanically maybe the best of the original trilogy, but my interest always fizzles out halfway through. Nemesis is way more threatening than OG Mr. X though, that's for sure.

Oh, and OP dude, you absolutely gotta play the B scenario of RE2, you haven't even beaten the game proper. In the first game the character selection is mostly your difficulty selection (Jill = Easy, Chris = Hard) but in the second game you gotta do both.

OP
OP
Eblo

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and OP dude, you absolutely gotta play the B scenario of RE2, you haven't even beaten the game proper. In the first game the character selection is mostly your difficulty selection (Jill = Easy, Chris = Hard) but in the second game you gotta do both.
Well shit in a basket. I didn't realize the B scenarios were that much different. I might do that before CVX then. Is it preferable to do B as the same character or the other one?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The owners of this place casually placed random traps because why not. I encounter this firsthand by grabbing a conspicuously placed shotgun, triggering a mechanism in the wall. The ceiling in the next room comes slowly down, almost making me a Jill sandwich. Why would any architect design this in a living space? It's just weird. There's the mansion's true purpose underground, but then topside the place seems mostly uninhabited (even unlivable) and has random shit like this. But I'll just write it off as some eccentric millionaire finding ways to spend money.

The mansion was designed by the architect George Trevor at the behest of Ozwell E Spencer. You can read about him in his diary.

His role is expanded on in the Remake.

There's extended lore from cut files, special editions, and guidebooks back when they were important, but the gist of it is the Spencer Mansion is like a maze for lab rats. Stick some test subjects in there and collect data on how they perform against BOWs. Wesker lead the team there to get the data to sell on the black market. The caves form a defense perimeter between the the lab and the mansion, with the labs only having environmental puzzles rather than any eccentric gadgets as they're for work.

An Umbrella employee set the password for his company login to a three-character name on an all-caps keyboard consisting only of letters.

If you remember the significance of the name (and it's accompanying suicide note) it gives great forshadowing to RE2 ;)

Instead, there's the challenge of luring it in front of a laser that periodically annihilates anything in its path.

Railgun. "Paracelsus Sword". If you noticed the dead Marines and railgunned T-103s, you get to play that battle out in the Operation Raccoon City DLC campaign. The five T-103s are from the 5 left-over canisters the helicopter that dropped off Mr X in RE2 was carrying.

The singular route naturally results in less replay value.

The Decision Points allows for some replay. One of them unlocks a secret boss.

Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. I played thru the trilogy for the first time this year as well, and agree completely with your takes and ranking.

And would echo the people telling you to play CVX, for me it ranks below two and well above 3.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Btw, if you liked RE3 I would recommend Dino Crisis 2 which has a very strong overlap in terms of game design. It was the last game to use the classic RE engine and also the most advanced. It's action packed and even has driveable vehicles.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Nice writeup, it's really cool to see people going back to play the classics. You say you're considering 0 and 4 after CVX (I'm in the camp that holds your concerns with 4 but you should for sure play it all the same, it's beloved for a reason), is there any reason not the remake of 1? It's many people's pick for best in the series and isn't just a facelift of the original (I do see that you say you want to get to it eventually, but it really should be a priority imo.. but that's maybe my fanboyism talking lol)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I have mixed feelings about your OP, OP.

First you played Jill in RE1, which is the correct choice, but then you say Leon is cooler? Bad, bad OP. But ok, let me get to your RE3 impressions. Which were not overwhelming positive which makes me sad. And the fact you have not heard anything about it previously is shocking. But this?

"Nemesis, while good if it were in small doses, was largely a nuisance"

No. That's not a cool thing to say. I also think Nemesis is not about jump scares. Besides the RPD window jump, his encounters are not meant to be scary at first sight, they are meant to be scary because of what comes after.

Nov 15, 2017
Well shit in a basket. I didn't realize the B scenarios were that much different. I might do that before CVX then. Is it preferable to do B as the same character or the other one?

You have to load your complete save to do the B scenario and the B scenario is always the opposite character of who you completed A scenario with.

If you want to do Leon B you'd have to complete Claire A first. Since you did Leon A, you'll be doing Claire B. I think Claire A/Leon B is the more recommended but either is fine

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replay RE3.

"The singular route naturally results in less replay value. "

This is nonsense, by exploring places and solving puzzles in different orders the game changes, with different cutscenes, altered puzzles, different item locations and even altered boss fights. The puzzles also rotate with different answers.

It has the most replay value of any of the classic games and arguably in the entire series.

Oct 30, 2017
You have done a great job OP with the way you detailed your impressions and WITH PICTURES!!

Wish others will write LTTP detailed with pictures threads like you... I enjoyed reading.

And glad you like the original RE trilogy, they are among the best games ever made on PS1 very unique and memorable and highly enjoyable :-)

OP
OP
Eblo

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Since it became clear I would do Claire B, I went ahead and ran through RE1 again as Chris. It was something different, but gameplay-wise as others have said it largely boils down to being a hard mode. Chris can take more punishment, but the choked inventory space makes for a much harder game. You have to truly know what your next plan is: what munitions and nonsensical key items to bring. I don't feel like small keys vs lockpicks made a noticeable difference, however. I could tell the routing was slightly different, but the general path seemed largely the same. I see why Resident Evil is a speedrunning favorite now; I churned through the thing in just a couple hours because I had a general understanding of where to go this time around.

WXY9wcZ.png

Story-wise this route has a different feel from Jill's. Chris has a lonelier time at the mansion. He occasionally encounters Rebecca, an absolute dork. They are probably drawn together because Chris, too, is a total dork. Whereas Jill mostly responds reasonably to the situations she wanders into, Chris always has some cheesy line to say before brushing things off and moving on. There are human-turned monsters running the place, man. At least pretend to be scared. Nope, he doesn't. He can't even read sheet music. Why would anyone choose the interesting and more capable Jill over this butter-fingered loser whose only mechanical perk is greater hardiness? I can think of one thing.

This moment is fucking hilarious. Wesker remains threatening in Jill's route as he delivers a haunting revelation about Tyrant. Chris manages to cut him off and completely shatter his spirit with a mere chuckle. Voice acting is on point. It's subtle differences like this that make games with multiple character routes oh so worth it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

This moment is fucking hilarious. Wesker remains threatening in Jill's route as he delivers a haunting revelation about Tyrant. Chris manages to cut him off and completely shatter his spirit with a mere chuckle. Voice acting is on point. It's subtle differences like this that make games with multiple character routes oh so worth it.

This is a top tier RE moment right there.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

I absolutely love the Remake and the tone feels right, but one thing you miss out on is how (terribly) great the voice acting in the first game is. There's the occasional chuckle worthy bad line in REmake (Weskers lifeless "Jill no" at the start of the game being a highlight), but it's just not the same, they're actually doing a good job.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the flipside you practically only have to bring the Shotgun with Chris, he has not a diverse arsenal like Jill does. And the Magnum late game perhaps. I found Chris easier in the end, because he can tank much more.

RE3 is my fave probably. I replayed it so many times, I got all Epilogues. I liked the choice system as well. I'd wager it has more replay value than 2.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far, I prefer the Remakes of the first 2 by a wide margin.

I can't take 1 seriously and 2 had a style I couldn't jive with. 3 was my jam and I can't wait to see Capcom modernize it in the next Remake

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
RE3 is my fave probably. I replayed it so many times, I got all Epilogues. I liked the choice system as well. I'd wager it has more replay value than 2.

You have good taste.

And that's an interesting discussion about replay value. I think if you ask most people they will say RE2 has a lot more. Indeed, when talking about the hopefully already in production R3make, often people say it should be longer. Sometimes people goes as far as to suggest given an entire campaign to Carlos (and so making two protagonist like RE2), something that I think would be a massive tragedy.

But the point is, that's false. I do think RE2 has more replay value because the B scenario is more fresh than another RE3 campaign, even with all different choices, yet they are very, very close. Yet people perceived a very different situation. And when you put the extra mods in the deal, I think RE3 might take the lead as The Mercenaries is way more replayable than RE2's extras.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Re3 becomes a lot better on subsequent playthroughs. Not only will you experience different cutscenes and bosses if you do stuff in a different order, having the confidence to go toe to toe with Nemesis each time he shows up really improves the game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Replay RE3.

"The singular route naturally results in less replay value. "

This is nonsense, by exploring places and solving puzzles in different orders the game changes, with different cutscenes, altered puzzles, different item locations and even altered boss fights. The puzzles also rotate with different answers.

It has the most replay value of any of the classic games and arguably in the entire series.
They're extremely sparse and the different cutscenes are only in service of an extremely mediocre story. I replayed it twice and outside of seeing who between Nikolai and Carlos is the biggest clown, the amount of freedom is negligible. In front of RE2 and its zapping system that have *actual replay value* on top of 4th Survivor/Tofu/Extreme Battle, you have to twist your back a lot to argue RE3 has the most replay value in the series or even in the classic series

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re3 becomes a lot better on subsequent playthroughs. Not only will you experience different cutscenes and bosses if you do stuff in a different order, having the confidence to go toe to toe with Nemesis each time he shows up really improves the game.

Your first playthrough will likely be on Easy. Then you try Hard mode and find out Nemesis drops stuff. But you probably won't get everything he has. Then you will beat him each time and you will get the Desert Eagle, Western custom and the infinite ammo item. Hell, I was out of ammo during my first run and I chose to run from Nemesis and not give him stars lol (didn't know it was a cutscene). This is how I played RE3, and those were 3 runs already. Then I tried different choices, and grinded Mercs and went through it with the minigun. Ended up beating RE3 in one sitting also.

RE3 is my fave because of its pacing, and the controls. They are the best controls classic RE has offered. Code Veronica felt like a huge step back despite its superior visuals.

RE2 is more slowgoing and a classic, but I found the A scenario's to be a bit tame. Leon A felt kind of easy, not much opposition too. You can see that the game leaves things out for different scenarios. It makes an initial run incomplete which I get is the point of the game. You need to beat it 4 times for the whole picture and its not that all 4 times are drastically different experiences (they do shake things up nicely though). RE3 is always complete no matter what choices you do or don't do. Its a matter of preference.

RE1 by the way, Directors Cut is brutal. Or was it just Arrange mode? Zombies are crazy fast and you die crazy fast.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're extremely sparse and the different cutscenes are only in service of an extremely mediocre story. I replayed it twice and outside of seeing who between Nikolai and Carlos is the biggest clown, the amount of freedom is negligible. In front of RE2 and its zapping system that have *actual replay value* on top of 4th Survivor/Tofu/Extreme Battle, you have to twist your back a lot to argue RE3 has the most replay value in the series or even in the classic series

The changes in RE3 happen all the time, it hard to go 5 minutes without doing an action that can alter one or more things.

RE2 is stuck with LeonA always being LeonA, with no change ever, yeah you get LeonB and ClaireA/B but 95% of each scenario is identical and does not change at all, while with RE3 it like you can take any of the differences and mix them up in a huge amount of scenarios that all have more variation than RE2s 4 scenarios combined.

It even changes the puzzle solutions each playthrough, so they stay fresh and still remain puzzles. Heck, depending on actions you take while playing, puzzle solutions can change in the moment. So if you just solved a puzzle and died and reload, if you do things different that puzzle may need a different answer.

Even the ammo system let's you play differently on new playthroughs, maybe before you focused on creating enhanced ammo for pistol and shotgun use, maybe next time you focus on ammo for the power weapons instead, maybe you spread it out into the 4 grenade round types, or just mass produce one grenade type. Oh you used your infinite upgrade on Magnum last time, why not try the Mine Launcher this time and see the weapon transform its mechanics entirely.

RE2, nor any game in the series even comes close to touching RE3s replayability.

Edit- Not even mentioned Mercs which is vastly superior the RE2 bonus modes, nor the epilogue still offering rewards long after RE2 ran out of scenarios.

Last edited:

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Immediately after the RE2Make trailer came out during E3 last year I hoped right on EBay and bought a PS2, Re1/RE2/RE3. Such an awesome trip down memory lane. RE2Make is a fantastic game, albeit the honeymoon phase has passed me, and I hope some day we get a remake of RE3

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
T

If you remember the significance of the name (and it's accompanying suicide note) it gives great forshadowing to RE2 ;)

Railgun. "Paracelsus Sword". If you noticed the dead Marines and railgunned T-103s, you get to play that battle out in the Operation Raccoon City DLC campaign. The five T-103s are from the 5 left-over canisters the helicopter that dropped off Mr X in RE2 was carrying.

The Decision Points allows for some replay. One of them unlocks a secret boss.

That part is amazing, i played with my friends the dlc and we was mind blown when the Mr. X started to transform into Tyrants.

The Echo Six dlc can be the best part of the game, sadly the game on PC is broken.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
On the flipside you practically only have to bring the Shotgun with Chris, he has not a diverse arsenal like Jill does. And the Magnum late game perhaps. I found Chris easier in the end, because he can tank much more.
That is a wild statement, because here are two differences between Chris and Jill from the original RE1 that rarely get brought up...Chris' campaign has a lot more enemies than Jill's and...while Chris can take more damage, so do the enemies in his campaign. They all got more health than in Jill's campaign.

Both those differences do not apply to the Remake btw.

OP
OP
Eblo

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I thankfully corrected the mistake of not doing Claire's story in Resident Evil 2. Thank you Schlauchkopf for showing me the light.

TUDVexj.png

RE2 is even better the second go around. Whether the differences were between Claire and Leon or A and B, the second route was full of new stuff. Obviously I stepped into the shoes of Claire this time instead of Leon. Much like her brother, Claire is a more confident protagonist. Jill and Leon are understandably nervous with the situations they find themselves in, but Claire just keeps her head straight. Zombie infested city? Ok, I need a gun. Pretty boy cop said to go to the police station, so off we go.

Obg14tV.jpg

I expected this route to be reminiscent of Jill/Chris in RE1, but I was damn wrong. There's an entirely distinct cast of characters, friends and foes, for Claire to deal with. The most important of these new faces is Sherry, a kid in a game where you kill a lot of things. Don't see that very often. Sherry serves to showcase Claire's maturity and understanding. While Leon is off getting trigger happy with monsters and some spy, Claire is fraught with the delicate matter of a child in a dangerous setting. She manages to stay calm and reassuring when in all likelihood she's just as frightened as this kid is.

yVo7M2x.jpg

The police chief was another face you'd never know about if you only played Leon's route. I figured he was dead by the time the game starts. Nope, he's alive and is one utter sack of shit. You meet the man as he sits behind his latest victim. Sure, Wesker was kind of a dick, but Brian Irons is a truly twisted antagonist. He was a sexual predator who killed tons of innocent people directly and then tried everything in his power to hinder operations to save the city and its residents. Leon almost worked for this asshole.

8hUsKDC.jpg

Nemesis is back I guess, or at least its older sibling or something. While Leon was trying to figure out how he was going to get his paycheck with all the zombie shit going down, Umbrella dropped a torpedo containing this trenchcoat Tyrant onto the city. The scene pictured above was a fairly clever subversion of player expectations. You almost feel safe with the pre-rendered backgrounds in Resident Evil, knowing they can't move. Moving stuff is 3D models and sprites only, right? I sure thought so until Volgin there Falcon Punched his way through the wall and re-pre-rendered the scene. This Tyrant was like a more digestable take on Nemesis. It's not thrown at you a lot, but the encounters there are made me stay on my toes.

pPJrtFC.jpg

Eventually that thing falls into a giant pot of lava that exists for some reason, emerging as something more reminiscent of the first Resident Evil's Tyrant. This gets turned up to 11 when you have a near identical boss battle with it: dodge its lunging swipe attack as the timer counts down, get a rocket launcher that a friend drops down, then blast Tyrant to pieces. It even has that shot repeated three times from different angles again. After this comes the shared ending with Leon, except it goes further. The protagonist duo does not make a clean getaway like it previously seemed. Claire has to finish off Sherry's dad after he mutated for the final time. Then the train goes boom.

Damn that ending music slaps.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I believe RE2 did an incredible job with the A and B scenarios. Mr. X gives a new layer to the playthrough, and dividing the many Birkins forms in the two chapters was a very good decision. Add to that the fact either character have their own supporting cast, it gives a strong feeling of a very distinctive playthrough, even though you're often doing the same thing.

REmake 2 did drop the ball on that.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I believe RE2 did an incredible job with the A and B scenarios. Mr. X gives a new layer to the playthrough, and dividing the many Birkins forms in the two chapters was a very good decision. Add to that the fact either character have their own supporting cast, it gives a strong feeling of a very distinctive playthrough, even though you're often doing the same thing.

REmake 2 did drop the ball on that.
Yes, the A/B routes were probably not even considered (scope-wise) until after the main-core campaigns were finished. I do think Remake 2 is so good that it doesnt bother me, but it would have been nice to see more differences, in the A/B-B/A combinations.

Remake 2 Leon and Claire are perfect