• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
latest

smt_iii_3663.jpg

Heeho fellow summoners!

My experience with the MegaTen series has been wonderful so far, where I played through all the modern games in one form or another. Never had a ps2, so I bought all the classics the ps3 had to offer while I was still going through smt games. I kept holding off on playing Nocturne for a long while, but I was in a mood to play it. So I dusted off the ps3, decided that CRT is indeed the way to go for this and went off.

After putting in a few hours, I wanted to share my thoughts on this playthrough and put it all together in one place. I'm going through this game mostly unspoiled. I know some of the memes and that's about it. I will speak freely, so if you don't wanna be spoiled on a 15 year old game, this is not the place to be.

The journey thus far:

After failing miserably on Hard (died on like the third tutorial enemy), I switched back to Normal which has been far more forgiven.

Masaru "BANCHOU" Daemon was again ready for action. Right off the bat I got thrown in the story about a group of cultists using a doomsday device in a hospital to turn Little Tokyo in a post apocalyptic wasteland, where demons get horny over the power to reshape the world back to how it was before the zelda timeline existed. It's up to the BANCHOU and his fellow samurai pizza cats Butterfly and Apple to make sense of this new world. They are accompanied by occultist Kaneko, their teacher Buffy the Vampire slayer and her sick boyfriend Giovanni (even tried to use Mewtwo to attack me). To top it off we also meet Benjamin Button and his wife that gave me a neat little demon to chew on which allowed BANCHOU to become a handsome demifriend. Also he must be ripped as fuck, because his top didn't fit anymore

At first I thought the magatama would slither its way in through other openings, like the ears, nose, eyes, butt or armpits... luckily it was less painful than I thought and we just eats it.

I learned early on physical strength is best for BANCHOU and leave magic to my lovely demons. Cleared the hospital with no real trouble. Kicking Forneus in the process and getting his totally useless magatama.

Wandering outside the hospital for the first and look what we see

Fricking Dante from the Devil May Cry Series. Guess he had a doctor's appointment as well. Was this the "human" that Forneus let through hmm?

Made my way south, stopped by Yoyogi Park, which the fairies did a nice job decorating. I kept my Pixie, cause she cures my soul. Dropped by Shibuya to go clubbing and Butterfly was there! How the hell did you get past that ugly stingray, and she left to search for more humans.

When in Shibuya, you hit the stores. So I went to the junk store and found my soulmate Jackson Frost. Got some sweet magatama and went on my way to Ginza. My party was getting crowded, however they didn't learn all their abc's yet so I skipped the babymaking process. Met up with Kaneko and explored the kinks of early internet.

Got through that safely and made it into Ginza. Went to see the jewlers and that's a good man. Along the way my Pixie changed into a High Pixie and I started fusing. Jack Frost is a must have in these games. Captured a Hua Po and I'm always happy to have one. My first sacrifical fusion gave me a foul slime. I wish I could cry. Switched magatama somewhere to get some debuff skills.

Moving along the road I went to the undergrounds where the mole mannequins live. All these shop keepers have been great so far in.

Of course they didn't let me in the Ikebukuro tunnel without some benjamins. Went and stole some from Loki, along with his valuables. Goat Dad stopped me on the way back, killed him without remorse. Tried my hand at sacrifical fusion and got another mix up.

PYRO JACK lit up the smash party. Definitely okay with this, good boi jack can stay. Still have Jack Frost and High Pixie as well, life is good.

Gave the collector his dough and got in. Halfway through Benjamin Button's candlebrum vibrates and I was caught offguard by this fucker:

latest

The macabre challenged me to a duel and wiped out my weak to force party in like two turns, cursed fiend.

If you have been reading through all of this, then stay with me as I try to beat the Matador and get gud at the dark souls of shin megami tensei. We'll take this game to its STRATOSPHERIC heights once again.

I'll post my thoughts on gameplay and maybe music later in a separate post, just wanted to get this out before I tackle Matador a second time. I got some demons strong against force and if necessary anti force magatama (not like I would use it for spells lol).

Heeho, see ya later stranger ho! In the meantime here's jack eating bread:

tumblr_n39hkfxiPd1rgbwm0o4_r1_400.gif

Such a good boi.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
You're in for a treat - it picks up so much after Matador.

This is legit one of my favourite games of all time.
From the practically flawless OST, to the nonsense difficulty of the PUZZLE BOY cabinet, to some of the best optional bosses I've come across in JRPs, there's nothing I don't like about this game - honestly.

Glad you're enjoying it. Looking forward to hearing your progressing opinions!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Aw I saw this pop up and thought it got a re-release :(

This game gets very good but I'll warn you that it hits a sort of lull sometime after matador where people burn out. I can't remember the exact area. So you'll need to push through that and it will work out.

Other thing is you need to read a spoiler-free guide for the ending stuff cause you miss out on massive amounts of content otherwise unfortunately

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of my top 5 rpgs.

Loved everything about it. The gameplay, graphics and story. Yes even the Amala network I wish more rpgs would have a mega dungeon filled with puzzles, mazes, traps and despair.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I assumed you were replaying this so I didn't warn you about Hard lol, starting Nocturne for the first time like that sounds miserable. Still, very glad you're enjoying Benjamin Button's wild ride.

Keeping Jack Frost always in your party is also a very stratospheric choice, IMO, well done.

Btw get a Decarabia, it makes Matador a breeze. I promise :godd:

OP
OP
Thuddert

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Alright time for a fiendishly update:

Matador still kicked my butt twice. At least I got to see more of his deathly moves after phase 1 was done.

Reloaded an earlier save with more macca attached to my netherworldy bank account. Bought the resist phys magatama which will come in handy against andalucia. Figured my current demonic crew couldn't live up to the challenge and BANCHOU was holding back the baby making potential. So I leveled up a bit to lvl 19, while exploring places that killed me earlier.

Fused me some neat additions to the D-crew. Umezume, Nekomata and Koppa with some buffs and debuffs inherited. I'm not sure if it's enough to last his unrelenting capote, still I'm willing to bet Benjamin's candelabrum again.

I had to say goodbye to High Pixie and Pyro Jack. Felt bad about the latter, so I got a new one. This Jack was planned. Look at these bois playing together:

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Call it what you will—A revelation from Chrono Trigger, or a curse of Persona 4. The fact remains that our top 20 dream came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and #22 ensued. P3FES crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death... nothing but Souls in this barren essentials list. Who can we pray to? There are only Personas and Final Fantasies here... A voice in the dark beguiles me. "Truth is a mystery, unraveled by Nocturne's flames"
—From the journal of a man who wandered into a STRATOSPHERIC world.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as many of us did, Thuddert. I loved it from the start, but it took me a while after finishing it to realize just how much of an impact the experience had on me. The art style, dungeons, themes, combat, there's a lot to love about this game. I get the urge to replay it just from looking at screenshots or listening to the ost, haha.

Funnily enough I beat Matador on my first try. The game in general isn't as difficult as people make it out to be (at least not on Normal) as long as you know how to properly manage buffs and debuffs. Also Daisoujou kinda breaks the game lol

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fog Breath is probably the most important skill to have for Matador.

Without it he's nigh impossible unless you're overleveled. With it, he's very manageable.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Alright time for a fiendishly update:

Matador still kicked my butt twice. At least I got to see more of his deathly moves after phase 1 was done.

Reloaded an earlier save with more macca attached to my netherworldy bank account. Bought the resist phys magatama which will come in handy against andalucia. Figured my current demonic crew couldn't live up to the challenge and BANCHOU was holding back the baby making potential. So I leveled up a bit to lvl 19, while exploring places that killed me earlier.

Fused me some neat additions to the D-crew. Umezume, Nekomata and Koppa with some buffs and debuffs inherited. I'm not sure if it's enough to last his unrelenting capote, still I'm willing to bet Benjamin's candelabrum again.

I had to say goodbye to High Pixie and Pyro Jack. Felt bad about the latter, so I got a new one. This Jack was planned. Look at these bois playing together:

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Make sure you remember what your original pixie was fused to (assuming you don't release it, it should always be the first demon in your party).

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Well the good news is you can get back demons from the compendium, which I believe you get access to shortly after where you are. Sounds like you're learning to adapt!

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Matador is a meme in the SMT community because of the jump in difficulty he represents.

Key rule to remember for Nocturne and all SMT: buffs and debuffs are your friends. In most rpg's they're kinda pointless but in Nocturne they are the key to most boss battles and the difference between life and death.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm getting close to the end of this myself (2-3 dungeons away from the last one, fifth kalpa). I got
Dante
in my party which is cool. By now the game is fairly easy but fun. Most boss battles come down to -kaja buffs + Focus + strong physical attacks.

Anyway I recommend making your MC a support (buffs/debuffs) + physical attack. Highly recommend getting Fog Breath on him and War Cry on him or a demon. Fuse Daisoujou when you can.

Matador is cake next to the almighty Kin-Ki.

He's easy if you have an Arahabaki which you can evolve from a demon in Ikebukuro!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly once you get all of the game's rules and manage to beat Matador, you should be stratospheric enough to not really struggle with many bosses outside of the more quirky ones, which aren't that hard either.

I remember the game consistently kicking my ass the first time up to Matador, but once I got past him I steamrolled everything in the game, TDE and all.
Call it what you will—A revelation from Chrono Trigger, or a curse of Persona 4. The fact remains that our top 20 dream came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and #22 ensued. P3FES crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death... nothing but Souls in this barren essentials list. Who can we pray to? There are only Personas and Final Fantasies here... A voice in the dark beguiles me. "Truth is a mystery, unraveled by Nocturne's flames" —From the journal of a man who wandered into a STRATOSPHERIC world.
Essentials thread am cry.

OP
OP
Thuddert

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Time to respond to my fellow demifriends:

Keep hearing amazing things about this game, still haven't started it. Has been sitting on my ps3 for AGES

Has been sitting here for quite a while as well. It's time to embrace our STRATOSPHERIC fiends.

I'll be joining you somewhat soon, Thud!

Yeah, now we can suffer in blissful Tokyo together. Hope you're not burned out after Persona 4.

For some reason I assumed you were replaying this so I didn't warn you about Hard lol, starting Nocturne for the first time like that sounds miserable. Still, very glad you're enjoying Benjamin Button's wild ride.

Keeping Jack Frost always in your party is also a very stratospheric choice, IMO, well done.

Btw get a Decarabia, it makes Matador a breeze. I promise :godd:

Decarabia is a Forneus sympathizer and BANCHOU has no need for them.

So what is Dante's role in this game?

Hunting demons

OR

Finding a haircutter for a new BS look.

Call it what you will—A revelation from Chrono Trigger, or a curse of Persona 4. The fact remains that our top 20 dream came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and #22 ensued. P3FES crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death... nothing but Souls in this barren essentials list. Who can we pray to? There are only Personas and Final Fantasies here... A voice in the dark beguiles me. "Truth is a mystery, unraveled by Nocturne's flames"
—From the journal of a man who wandered into a STRATOSPHERIC world.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as many of us did, Thuddert. I loved it from the start, but it took me a while after finishing it to realize just how much of an impact the experience had on me. The art style, dungeons, themes, combat, there's a lot to love about this game. I get the urge to replay it just from looking at screenshots or listening to the ost, haha.

Funnily enough I beat Matador on my first try. The game in general isn't as difficult as people make it out to be (at least not on Normal) as long as you know how to properly manage buffs and debuffs. Also Daisoujou kinda breaks the game lol

The Cathedral of Shadows welcome fine lads like yourself to begin developing a new STRATOSPHERIC world.

I have been enjoying it so far, although it might be because I went through most of it unscathed very fast and these demons don't inject much exp in this bad boi.

BANCHOU has been gathering debuffs to the point it poisoned its mind.

Fog Breath is probably the most important skill to have for Matador.

Without it he's nigh impossible unless you're overleveled. With it, he's very manageable.

Fog Breath so early? Won't that ruin the fun? I did pass on War Cry, because leveling demons can be a pain and Zheng was not having it anymore.

Make sure you remember what your original pixie was fused to (assuming you don't release it, it should always be the first demon in your party).

It's BS Beautiful Ame no Uzume. She got that fake media juice I wanted.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Crown Jewel of Shin Megami Tensei and one of the best RPGs of all time.

I'd kill for an HD update that added Raidou and fixed the random skill select. The latter is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Fuck Puzzle Boy, though.

Also Benjamin Button doesn't drop the Magatama into your mouth; he drops it into your eye and it burrows through there.

Also also "demifriends" is absolutely what fans of Nocturne should be calling themselves.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Nocturne.
One of the best RPG that Atlus ever did and arguably the best in the entire SMT series.
One can only hope that the next one for the Switch come close to it's level of Quality, setting, Music etc.

I remember playing it in the day and loving it, and then reading a narrative lp a few years later and once again falling in love :
https://lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-(by-FrankZP)/

OP
OP
Thuddert

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Also Benjamin Button doesn't drop the Magatama into your mouth; he drops it into your eye and it burrows through there.

NOPE

I heard a crunching sound. BANCHOU's mouth closed damnit. I want to believe.

How long did our demifriend sleep? If 100 years have gone past and Ganon still didn't kill Koroks in this game I'll call BS Spectular.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NOPE

I heard a crunching sound. BANCHOU's mouth closed damnit. I want to believe.

How long did our demifriend sleep? If 100 years have gone past and Ganon still didn't kill Koroks in this game I'll call BS Spectular.

It's why the screen goes all bloodshot.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I really should replay this game. This is making me want to load it up and do a hard mode run pure mage. The only real problem is the QOL changes to the fusion system I've been spoiled with from all the newer games.

It doesn't really matter how you build your MC as long as you do it right. But I always find magic > physical in SMT games. In my playthrough I did a physical focus and toward the end I thought it was lacking. Then there are the bosses that are immune to physical and you don't have pierce.

Matador is still one of the best skill checks in any game. It's impossible to beat unless you learn the mechanics of the game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really should replay this game. This is making me want to load it up and do a hard mode run pure mage. The only real problem is the QOL changes to the fusion system I've been spoiled with from all the newer games.

It doesn't really matter how you build your MC as long as you do it right. But I always find magic > physical in SMT games. In my playthrough I did a physical focus and toward the end I thought it was lacking. Then there are the bosses that are immune to physical and you don't have pierce.

Matador is still one of the best skill checks in any game. It's impossible to beat unless you learn the mechanics of the game.

Ehhhh.... usually that's correct, but in Nocturne Phys builds are almost mandatory.

I dunno I want to post it but I'm worried I'll spoil OPs playthrough.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Had no idea but I think I'd still stick with magic. After a Google search I see why.

The problem with Magic builds in Nocturne is that

all of Demi-Fiend's best skills are Phys-based and the secret final boss takes 25% damage from everything and can only be reliably damaged by physical attacs augmented by the Pierce ability.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game was so much better than IV. And I didn't really hate IV, but it was a downgrade in many areas despite the QOL improvements carried over from the Persona games.

OP
OP
Thuddert

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Physical is almost always better, except in most Persona or SMT IV.

Pierce is a must have skill as later end demons are either gonna resist, null or drain physical. And they will start to repel physical/magical attacks as well. It's why almighty spell are so powerful, it's like the only sure fire way to nuke an enemy.

I leveled a bit in the tunnel, so I got the counter skill as well. This is gonna be helpful when our demifiend gets punched, Masaru Daemon strikes back.

The fusion QoL and info screen is something I'm missing from other games. However the lack of save anywhere isn't a threat yet. S-Terminals have been popping up. Even if not all of them are connected to the main network.

Anyway, now for realsies. I accept your challenge, Matador!

Jul 24, 2018
I'm getting close to the end of this myself (2-3 dungeons away from the last one, fifth kalpa). I got
Dante
in my party which is cool. By now the game is fairly easy but fun. Most boss battles come down to -kaja buffs + Focus + strong physical attacks.

Anyway I recommend making your MC a support (buffs/debuffs) + physical attack. Highly recommend getting Fog Breath on him and War Cry on him or a demon. Fuse Daisoujou when you can.

He's easy if you have an Arahabaki which you can evolve from a demon in Ikebukuro!
Any boss is relatively easy if you have the right countermeasures. I didn't for Kin-Ki, he's an asshole who breaks you. None of the fiends gave me as much trouble as him.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Came into the thread expecting to hear about Matador. Didn't get disappointed. Well done, OP! Haha! Seriously though: Great to hear that you're having fun. It's an amazing game! Don't let him discourage you.

Also, obligatory:

13491481781262.jpg

OP
OP
Thuddert

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
We have triumphed the Duel, the true Nocturne starts here.

Party summary:

BANCHOU lvl 20 (+ Kamudo)
>Sukunda from Iyomante

Uzume lvl 18
>Media
> Rakunda (inherited)

Koppa lvl 19
>Tarukaja
>Rakunda (inherited)

Nekomata lvl 18
>Rakunda (inherited)

Jack Bros cheered from the side as Masuru Daemon punched the fiend to STRATOSPHERIC levels. Your dance of the macabre is finally over!

Gained a level and added heatwave instead of lunge to the arsenal of combat potential.

Can we pour one drink out for our skeleton friend Matador, father of PAPYRUS?

matador2.jpg

Stay tuned for more fiendish tales in a brand new episode of Demons May Cry III.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw footage of a demon having a move that gives himself more turns. Sounds nightmarish.

Oct 27, 2017
Replayed this recently and I think that this might be my favorite random encounter theme in a JRPG:

It's a shame that the sound quality is so compressed in the actual game.

Really fun to play on guitar too