• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally got around to watch Space Dandy. For a bit of context, I watched most of Watanabe's stuff back in the days, loved his Animatrix, Bebop and Samurai Champloo are my favorite anime of all time, and I think this is actually why I did not immediately get my hands on Space Dandy when it dropped.

My stupid brain thought something like "naaah, can't be as good as the masterpieces that are Bebop and Champloo, it looks stupid and I'll probably be disapointed"

So yeah I'm a fool.

This is as good as the rest of Watanabe's work, and as I just got done watching it, I class it really high on the list, but this is the immediate satisfaction talking. I don't think that in the long run I'll rank it better than Bebop and Champloo, but it will easily be as good as those in my opinion.

As usual with these shows, the characters are awesome whether you like them or not, which is somehing I find really impressive in those 3 shows. In this one, I did not really like Dandy at first, he made think of a weird mix of Spike and Mugen (which was my initial fear when I first learned about the show before and did not want to watch it), but he quickly develops into his own awesome dude, and by the episode where he wants to use his free visit to Boobies, i was turned on him and liked him already. It only got better with each episode. Meow and QT are really awesome, the guest characters in almost every episodes are also quite good, but the biggest surprise and best character for me was Bea, from the start, so needless to say that I really loved the last episode :) His character is so fun as the villain sidekick, and I love his goofy design.

Soundtrack is as always awesome, perfectly fits the mood of the show and there is not much else to say about it besides that it is great, even if not as godlike than Bebop and Champloo's soundtrack imo, but hey not many soundtracks are ^^

I won't start taking about each episode one by one because then I will never finish this post, all 26 episodes are great to unbelievably perfect for me, if I had to pick standouts episodes I would choose the zombies one, the one with the musical school, the Rose fake boyfriend, the underwear war, meow's planet, the book alien, QT falling in love, limbo planet, and I realise that I'm starting to quote almost every episode lol, and that's not even mentioning the last 3 episodes which are seriously the best, but more on that below.

But what surprised me the most with the show is the apparent nonsense of the story, where they all die in a lot of episodes, and it seems to restart. I don't know how they made it work, because for me that would usually be something that distract me from a show when things really do not make any kind of sense, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for why it happens. But here it worked, I quickly went in "well fuck it" mode and enjoyed the episodes without too much caring about these story point, mainly because the episodes were so fun and enjoyable.

So I was really agreably surprised when they started to drop some hints regarding Dandy, warping, and all of this stuff, because i really was ready for the story making no sense until the end and being an enjoyable and fun sci fi trip. The Episode with Dandy's 4D ex was in my opinion easy lore done right lol, loved the fact that Dandy understood the fabric of space and parallel universes and was like "whatever". And of course that lead to the exceptional last two episodes. I don't know why the trial episode was so enjoyable for me, it was really something, and of course they start dropping that the "pyonmin"(spelling probably) is actually the God particle! And then that last episode, okay I stand corrected, this show makes no sens for 75% of its runtime, but then it becomes a parallel universe/dark matter/ end of the universe joint where even God(which of course was the fuckin' voiceover hahaha that was great !) is involved, and even though anyone could see Dandy's resopne to God's proposal coming, it was so good to witness :) and of course the universe loops, just for the stinger that yeah maybe there could be more Space Dandy someday, even though it's never gonna happen...

So yeah, this show really is something, I'm both mad I did not wtach it way earlier and glad I waited to watch it now, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it back then even with my obviously wrong mindset, but I know it was much more enjoyable now. I'm really gonna miss this show as much as I miss Bebop and Champloo, and always keep these awesome memories of it forever, baby, just like Bebop and Champloo.

THANK YOU WATANABE AND EVERYONE INVOLVED !

ae143d78c3c0a98b774c78b3773aea8e.jpg

Edited because I'm stupid and mistook God particle and dark matter ^^

Last edited:

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely amazing show.

They've teased a third season a few times, so hopefully the future has more in store for us.

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely amazing show.

They've teased a third season a few times, so hopefully the future has more in store for us.

They did ? That would be the best piece of news in a long time for me :) But then the ending is so well done that I would be fine any way.

(But yeah please, third season with Dandy giving even less of a fuck because he knows the truth about the universe)

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
The episode that takes place on Meow's planet is my favorite (it helps that he's my favorite character). I wasn't aware that they had teased another season at some point, but I am constantly lamenting there not being more of this show. I'd even take a movie; I just want more of it!

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
I've only watched season 1 but yea it's amazing! The Blu Ray has the best intro/outro as well.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I love episodes where Dandy is just being a genuinely nice guy, and helping someone out. His personality really shines in those moments.

tumblr_nox5v55yrP1utojslo1_500.gif

InferiorOffensiveFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

senorgrande

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode and thought it was awful. Should I go back?

I should mention I'm not a big anime guy but I love Bebop.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The Zombie episode is genuinely the best piece of Zombie fiction I've watched in yeaaaars. Also the multiverse episode where the alternate version of Meow is a creepy guy carrying a space helmet that he never wears is just...magical.

I love Space Dandy so much, that intro music is so great too.

Also also, one of the few anime where I happily recommend the Dub as much as the Sub, it's absolutely fantastic.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
did you watch in English or Japanese? I only watch Bebop in the dub, and Champloo in the subs whenever I rewatch.

this I dunno what would fit better, the dub sounds pretty hilarious tho

senorgrande

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the dub.

The character didn't really grab me from the off and I found all the booby stuff so lame - I would have been embarrassed if someone saw me watching that.

They did ? That would be the best piece of news in a long time for me :) But then the ending is so well done that I would be fine any way.

(But yeah please, third season with Dandy giving even less of a fuck because he knows the truth about the universe)
At a Bones (the anime studio) event in Japan the head of the studio said Cartoon Network came to him fully willing to fund another season, though they got to much on their plate to start it now they said.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Without fail, every single person I've met that doesn't like Space Dandy has consciously or subconsciously tried to compare it to Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. That's where they're wrong, I think. I mean, sure, if you're not into the absurd, surrealist, and sometimes crass humor the show has, that's one thing. But I see people expressing disappointment that it's not like the two aforementioned shows way more than just not liking the show on its own. And that's a shame, because it's a fantastic show that doesn't deserve to merely stand in the shadow of Bebop and Champloo.

Good on you for giving the show a chance, OP. The show is very strong and stands tall on its own merits.

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
did you watch in English or Japanese? I only watch Bebop in the dub, and Champloo in the subs whenever I rewatch.

this I dunno what would fit better, the dub sounds pretty hilarious tho

I tried the english and french dub for Dandy but did not like any of them, so i stayed with the sub. For Bebop I watched I watched with the french dub which is great, and Champloo with the sub.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i checked out a couple of episodes and didn't really enjoy it at all. i'll sound like a killjoy for saying this, but it's just juvenile and poorly written. i don't dislike comedy or wackiness, it's just not good imo. pretty disappointed.

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
i checked out a couple of episodes and didn't really enjoy it at all. i'll sound like a killjoy for saying this, but it's just juvenile and poorly written. i don't dislike comedy or wackiness, it's just not good imo. pretty disappointed.

It's clearly on the absurd side of comedy, and I can see why some might not like the full whackyness of the show, hell it's why I didn't watch it at first, seemed way to whack compared to Bebop and Champloo.
But line hiryu64 said, comparing these shows is a big mistake.
However if the absurd humor doesnt suit you, you might not like this show as it fully embraces this style of humor and rarely goes somewhere else.

But you should still watch, the show is too good lol

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's clearly on the absurd side of comedy, and I can see why some might not like the full whackyness of the show, hell it's why I didn't watch it at first, seemed way to whack compared to Bebop and Champloo.
But line hiryu64 said, comparing these shows is a big mistake.
However if the absurd humor doesnt suit you, you might not like this show as it fully embraces this style of humor and rarely goes somewhere else.

But you should still watch, the show is too good lol

no, it isn't really the absurd humour. i just think it's pervy and juvenile, like lowest common denominator humour, and the cat guy isn't funny or a good character, the robot is hackneyed. it all just kinda seems poorly thought out, like some bad internet show made by somebody impersonating things they like, and i know the plot kind of goes into some complex directions, i mean the tone is poorly thought out. i won't put up any more of a debate because my whole opinion is basically just 'this show is clearly bad' and that's not much to talk about, just felt like saying so since i watched some of it and i was really disappointed in it.

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
no, it isn't really the absurd humour. i just think it's pervy and juvenile, like lowest common denominator humour, and the cat guy isn't funny or a good character, the robot is hackneyed. it all just kinda seems poorly thought out, like some bad internet show made by somebody impersonating things they like, and i know the plot kind of goes into some complex directions, i mean the tone is poorly thought out. i won't put up any more of a debate because my whole opinion is basically just 'this show is clearly bad' and that's not much to talk about, just felt like saying so since i watched some of it and i was really disappointed in it.

Imo the characters themselves are created in line with the absurd tone of the show, and act this way too, so i dont think I'm wrong when I say that its the absurd side of the show that puts you off, and believe me, it gets very absurd at parts, and the juvenile "I love boobies" aspect never goes away, it even is a major plot device by the end lol.
So I can understand that this show is not for everybody its cool, and yeah I dont think you would enjoy going through the shows for the bits you would enjoy compared to the massive amount of stuff you wouldn't enjoy, i can understant that.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the tone is the fucked up thing, I think rancey is right about that.

I could just look past it and enjoy the thing, but for instance one time my girlfriend was hanging out nearby while I was watching it and she was pretty disgusted by the juvenile "ogling ladies" shit. She found that aspect of it and Dandy in general so insufferable that she asked me to turn it off.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I found it was just ok, none of the characters were really interesting and that almost every episode is about something different (zombies, different dimensions...) be it how the story in that particular episode is told or how it is animated differently than usual is something I really don't like because I like to have some consistency.
In short it is just too episodic and experimental with its episodes for me, wouldn't it have been set in space I most likely would have dropped the show but now that I think of it I barely remember anything of the show so maybe I should have dropped it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the whole series but only really cared about what was happening for the final couple of episodes cause it got kind of interesting. The characters felt annoying for the most part and a lot of the stuff happening was stupid and not in an entertaining way. I've thought about trying to re-watch it again to give it another chance.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Space Dandy is so cool.

For me it's definitely behind Champloo and Bebop but it's still up there, almost to that same level of perfection.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Space dandy is incredible.

The zombie episode my god... :'D

The Groundhog day episode man :')

The in between dimension legendary space ramen :'(

Coffe maker can't fall in love baby, that episode is pure gold and the last few minutes with the music kicking in is just bliss.

This show is way to bittersweet and

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Great, weird, perfectly right mixture of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Looney Tunes. Bless this show.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely adore Space Dandy. Like it more than Samurai Champloo but not as much as Bebop

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Got it on blu-ray for christmas and I have yet to start it. Thanks for reminding me of my new weekend plans. :P

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The episode where they become a one hit wonder band is absolutely amazing
The "planet of souls" episode is gorgeous

god this show has so many different "theme" episodes and the animation can go absolutely NUTS

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The episode where they become a one hit wonder band is absolutely amazing
The "planet of souls" episode is gorgeous

god this show has so many different "theme" episodes and the animation can go absolutely NUTS

My god DROPKICK was awesome :) the episode slayed me I couldn't stop laughing

Yeah Planet Limbo was visually great, and thematically nice.

I also just remembered the episode with the weird lonely guy changing people in statues searching for the perfect smile, and the ending of the episode with the surf fight on the wave of time (i love the fact that space dandy allows me to write this phrase and that it makes sense ^^)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My god DROPKICK was awesome :) the episode slayed me I couldn't stop laughing

Yeah Planet Limbo was visually great, and thematically nice.

I also just remembered the episode with the weird lonely guy changing people in statues searching for the perfect smile, and the ending of the episode with the surf fight on the wave of time (i love the fact that space dandy allows me to write this phrase and that it makes sense ^^)
oh god yes, the guy smiling and then suddenly the last minutes of the episode being a massively animated crazy insanely colorful space surf tidal wave with amazing music and you just sit there and go "man...what...woah"

edit: or the episode with the flower planet being animated like a huge LSD/drug trip with everything being weird and fuzzy and colorful and with hundreds of little moving things everywhere

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have 9 pages criticising moe shit, but can't hit 1 celebrating Space Dandy. OT's a mess.

Thanks for the post OP, I went back and watch episode 1 again last night. This show just oozes charm, style and confidence.

It's collection of aliens and alien worlds is so inventive and out there its like some modern day jack kirby on LSD shit.
The dub is fantastic too, pitch perfect pomposity on Dandy, baby.

The show thematically just goes wherever it wants and pivots to deep philosophical musings at the drop of a hat.

Bittersweet, someone said above, the perfect adjective for the Space Dandy experience.

Until next time, Baby.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Really really cool show. I like it almost as much as Cowboy Bebop and believe it's way ahead of Samurai Champloo.

The pilot was pretty weak with all the boobies nonsense and failed to represent what the show is all about. Maybe the misrepresentation limited it's popularity.

OP
OP
Rimkrak

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
and you just sit there and go "man...what...woah"

So much that, happens on plenty of episodes too !

We have 9 pages criticising moe shit, but can't hit 1 celebrating Space Dandy. OT's a mess.

Yeah I see that this show might not be as successful as others over here, I must say that I'm part of the problem, took me a really long time to finally decide to watch this after being put of by the premise and the apparent style of the show. Boy was I wrong.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
4 years later and I still think it's my favorite work of his. Incredibly underappreciated. The English dub is also top tier.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favourite Anime ever. I dont even like anime that much really, but this one is fantastic. The zombie episode is incredible. I love the slightly more serious episodes too like the Alien kid one, and that weird trippy one in season 2 about a fisherman i think? And then you have the compeltely mental ones like intergalactic space ramen, and the one where Dandy kinda turns gay and has buttsex at the speed of light. Amazing show