• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I recently played the old Star Wars vehicle action game by Pandemic Studios called Clone Wars via emulation. The Dolphin emulation of the Gamecube version worked surprisingly well (much better than the PCSX2 emulation of the PS2 version). The game basically takes place right after the end of Attack of the Clones and let's players control tanks, gunships, speeders, mechs, and jedi combat sections as Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker. It involves large-scale battles with big armies from the films with tons of enemy units, while the plot basically turns into pure fan fiction.

For a movie tie-in game (back when those were pumped out on short development schedules to coincide with the release of a major film), it was actually decent. The voice acting is pretty bad and the controls in the jedi segments were awful, but given the scale of the combat segments, it was pretty impressive on a technical level. And the action segments were decently engaging in their own way. And the variety in vehicles made things a bit more refreshing. In a way the game was a nice travel to a time where mediocre, quickly released movie tie-in games were pumped out in the PS2 era. Pandemic are obviously a very talented studio back then, so it was interesting seeing them trying their hand at a Star Wars game before they went on to make the highly successful Battlefront games two years later.

Some various screens I took of the game in higher rendering resolution:

Vehicle segments
jAoPlb.jpg

jAoYdC.jpg

jAooL5.jpg

jAoN6T.jpg

jAoUtr.jpg

Jedi action segments
jAozbi.jpg

jAoMiv.jpg

Cutscene screens:
jAon49.jpg
jAovP2.jpg
jAollm.jpg
jAoero.jpg

Anyone else remember this or actually played it when it came out?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
One of the first games I got for my GameCube (along with LOTR The Two Towers). I was foolish and bought into movie-based games.

Game is a lot of fun and I loved the Conquest multiplayer game mode...too bad I could never get an entire 4 player group to realize the full potential of the mode

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
I had so much fun playing the arena mode with my friends when we were younger. I vividly remember a boss fight against some ghosts in an ice world that was the WORST! I'd love to play this again.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first games I got for my GameCube (along with LOTR The Two Towers). I was foolish and bought into movie-based games.

Game is a lot of fun and I loved the Conquest multiplayer game mode...too bad I could never get an entire 4 player group to realize the full potential of the mode
I mean, that might be a typically foolish thing to do, but both Clone Wars and the Two Towers were excellent games. Return of the King was also pretty great.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I remember loving this game. Even the multiplayer matches with friends were cool.