• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a gaming pc recently and was looking for something fun to play. Finally got my hands on the Session demo and put some time in with Skater XL (this one's going to be special).

I looked into Star Citizen but ultimately decided against it for now. $40 is a little steep for one ship. Unless they're available for in-game currency and I missed something.

Then I came across Starbound. It's basically 2D No Man's Sky + Mega Man. Explain yourselves Era! Why am I just finding out about this?

I'm going to need controller support, though. I'm new to PC gaming so if anyone's got tips I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
If I can do this game any justice I got this game in the very early Early Access days. There was one or two bosses but the concept of going around to other planets was still there. I put over 70 hours into that build.

Since then they have only further added to the game and its depth. Soundtrack is also fantastic and very relaxing.

cyress8

Avenger
Then I came across Starbound. It's basically 2D No Man's Sky + Mega Man. Explain yourselves Era! Why am I just finding out about this?
This forum is more about console games. So many great games come out just for PC and you usually won't hear about it.

Since you are new to PC gaming, bookmark this page https://isthereanydeal.com/. Grab some games for cheap and just play around with all the genres that are now open too you.

I looked into Star Citizen but ultimately decided against it for now. $40 is a little steep for one ship. Unless they're available for in-game currency and I missed something.
I'm biased towards Star Citizen and will say go ahead grab a ship. You can buy ships in game but it is way easier to just ask someone on the server or send a message to one of us in the OT to fly a ship you want to fuck around in. I've given away probably 20-30 ships to people and next patch will have the ability to rent ships from npcs so it will be even easier.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Still mad they removed a ton of content when the "full" game released. Huge potential, huge dissapointment.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Still mad they removed a ton of content when the "full" game released. Huge potential, huge dissapointment.
Yeah, this. Plus the UI changes basically axed my enjoyment of the gameplay, I feel like I'm fighting the interface more than the enemies. The original hotbar design was just too good to stay, apparently.

OP
OP
Kazoku_

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Since you are new to PC gaming, bookmark this page https://isthereanydeal.com/. Grab some games for cheap and just play around with all the genres that are now open too you.
Oh this is nice. Thanks!

Anyone have any tips on shoehorning in controller support? I've been gaming for over 30 years and am not ready to relearn twitch reflexes for KB/M. (Really, imagine playing Mega Man X 3 on KB/M.)

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I started playing this after 70 hours of Terraria to check out something new, plus the space setting and having an actual storyline seemed cool. I was wrong. Controls and combat were lacking, story and super repetitive "missions" were disappointing. Haven't touch it in almost a year.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
There was talk of this game coming to consoles. Wish they'd hurry up and get on with it.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing it a ton in late 2013 and into 2014. Still early days but I really enjoyed exploring and trying stuff out.

The soundtrack is impeccable, still listen to it to this day.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was a terrible disappointment after Terraria. Itemization was boring which made exploration boring, building stuff felt like a waste of time since you jump around the galaxy and.. Well, what else is there to these games?

You know, now I kind of want to reinstall Terraria.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it, even if it lacked the depth I was hoping for. Exploration is great at first but loses its lustre when you keep running into the same sorts of things. Soundtrack remains great though.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my biggest disappointments. After sinking a lot of hours into Terraria, I wanted something new. Starbound looked like better Terraria with much more content. I bought it very early in the early access life. First few hours were pretty solid, but then it kinda got insanely repetitive and nothing interesting was going on. There were no interesting items to look for like in Terraria.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
The soundtrack is impeccable, still listen to it to this day.
The soundtrack and the general concept of the setting are basically the best things that remain of the game right now. Everything else, various post-release bells and whistles notwithstanding (including literal bells and whistles), has horribly mutated for the worse since the early access days.

OP
OP
Kazoku_

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Right so, UPDATE! I went from not knowing how to get a gamepad working to attempting my first mod! Fun stuff. PC gaming can change a man...

Jul 26, 2018
Is there no mod to improve this games sprites for PC? After hours of searching I only found one 2016 mod that upsamples sprites on the fly but has never been maintained or updated and doesn't work with the current game version.