• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Question, as I've never watched the 90s Flash series. Is the Earth-2 Flash played by the same actor supposed to be the same exact Flash as on that show?

Or were they just having fun with it being the same actor?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Question, as I've never watched the 90s Flash series. Is the Earth-2 Flash played by the same actor supposed to be the same exact Flash as on that show?

Or were they just having fun with it being the same actor?
Not the same Flash, they just wanted to pay homage to the old show at the time.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for the crossover Elseworlds

We do see the 90s Flash eventually.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The Adrian reveal was perfect. It fucked with comic nerds and was just in the middle of the episode out of nowhere. Most confident reveal I've seen in a show because it wasn't an end of episode stinger.

Damn, didn't expect Arrow to tackle gun control head on like this.

Curtis dropping statistics on their asses.
It was supposed to be the start of a trend of Arrow tackling a social issue each season and then they said they'd do black lives matter next and people were like "nope"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was supposed to be the start of a trend of Arrow tackling a social issue each season and then they said they'd do black lives matter next and people were like "nope"

Thank god they didn't, that gun control episode is one of the very few misses in S5

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Thank god they didn't, that gun control episode is one of the very few misses in S5
I didn't think it was a miss, but I'm not exactly an invested American and mostly just enjoyed the Rene backstory and Vigilante action.

I do think it's interesting and a missed opportunity that all the shows have so many black characters and it's basically never touched upon (except BL obviously)

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was a miss, but I'm not exactly an invested American and mostly just enjoyed the Rene backstory and Vigilante action.

I do think it's interesting and a missed opportunity that all the shows have so many black characters and it's basically never touched upon (except BL obviously)

From what I remember, it was extremely surface level and toothless, on top of coming out of nowhere, and completely fell flat for me as a result. Not that I really expected otherwise, but yea.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
From what I remember, it was extremely surface level and toothless, on top of coming out of nowhere, and completely fell flat for me as a result. Not that I really expected otherwise, but yea.
I think the main complaint was it ended with "and we solved gun violence!" with a vague bill that we got no details about

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So, both Flash going into the speed force and Mon-El's parents arriving were good episodes that both ended peak fucking CW drama.

Barry breaking things off with Iris and Kara breaking things off with Mon-El were high levels of dumb.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
imageService

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait till people get to Crisis on Earth X. Easily my favorite moment of the entire series. The end of episode 1 and the church is fucking fantastic.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest: I was rather disappointed in the Musical Episode.... Mainly, as I was spoiled from the Buffy episode that was a musical for the entire episode, and Barry and co only did a few songs. So, perhaps my expectation was a little high

But, also do to the stupid drama from Barry & Iris from the previous episode where she called off the engagement/etc and then at the end of this episode they made up..

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
To be honest: I was rather disappointed in the Musical Episode.... Mainly, as I was spoiled from the Buffy episode that was a musical for the entire episode, and Barry and co only did a few songs. So, perhaps my expectation was a little high

But, also do to the stupid drama from Barry & Iris from the previous episode where she called off the engagement/etc and then at the end of this episode they made up..

Yeah they had way too many actors with singing backgrounds for the episode to have way to few songs

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'll forever maintain that the Music Meister should've been Rachel Bloom instead of her just supplying a quick song for the episode.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Buffy was such a high bar for musical episodes, whereas the Music Meister episode was so divorced from the characters we love, had nothing really to do with their journeys, wasn't an expression of catharsis...

It was just the showrunners fanboying out about the stage-musical origins for most of their cast rather than telling a story with it.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
"Kapiushon"

This episode is so fucking dark.
I can't believe they went there and knocked it out of the park. They deserve so much credit for having that sort of ambition story-wise. That episode more than any other shows just how far Ammell came as an actor. I think this review perfectly puts Kapiushon in perspective--

Alasdair Wilkins of The A.V. Club wrote "At various points tonight, I was convinced I was watching either the best or the worst episode in Arrow history. If absolutely nothing else, that's proof of audacity, as a show doesn't flirt with such dizzying heights or such self-destructive lows by playing it safe. "Kapiushon" ends up somewhere between those two extremes, though I would place it closer to all-time best than all-time worst. Prometheus' efforts to extract the confession from Oliver take Arrow into the darkest territory we have witnessed, yet even Adrian Chase's (or Simon Morrison's, or whatever we're calling him) most brutal schemes can't compete with what Oliver gets up to in Russia"[2] Wilkins also stated "the basic point is that "Kapiushon" represents a logical endpoint for all the stories Arrow has told up to this point: the season-long battle between the Green Arrow and Prometheus, the concurrent exploration of Oliver's time in Russia, the five-year evolution from the Hood to the Green Arrow, and the gradual transformation of Oliver Queen during his missing years."
(via Wikipedia)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Buffy was such a high bar for musical episodes, whereas the Music Meister episode was so divorced from the characters we love, had nothing really to do with their journeys, wasn't an expression of catharsis...

It was just the showrunners fanboying out about the stage-musical origins for most of their cast rather than telling a story with it.

The funniest part was that they basically only had Barry and Iris break up so they could get back together in the musical episode.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The funniest part was that they basically only had Barry and Iris break up so they could get back together in the musical episode.

That was the only part of the episode that I didn't like. There was no reason to have the previous engagement happen at all.

It would have been so much more memorable if the engagement in the musical episode came out of nowhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That was the only part of the episode that I didn't like. There was no reason to have the previous engagement happen at all.

It would have been so much more memorable if the engagement in the musical episode came out of nowhere.

Yup. It would've been more effective and it wouldn't have felt like PEAK CW RELATIONSHIP DRAMA like you mentioned before.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is what soured me the most on that episode. If they didn't have that crap, I'd still at least be like "Could have been so much more, but was still enjoyable and fun"/etc

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can give the CW shows a lot of shit for the acting but Arrow's cast deserves kudos for getting better with time. You haven't seen it yet but this past weeks episode was one actor's strongest performance yet, IMO. I don't think the same can be said for Flash unfortunately.

Iris and Ralph have gotten better

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can give the CW shows a lot of shit for the acting but Arrow's cast deserves kudos for getting better with time. You haven't seen it yet but this past weeks episode was one actor's strongest performance yet, IMO. I don't think the same can be said for Flash unfortunately.

Grant actually pulls out some really good work when he has to. The scene of him arguing with you know who near the end of last season was some really good dramatic work out of a guy who's been kinda-sorta coasting for a season or two.