• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I can give the CW shows a lot of shit for the acting but Arrow's cast deserves kudos for getting better with time. You haven't seen it yet but this past weeks episode was one actor's strongest performance yet, IMO. I don't think the same can be said for Flash unfortunately.

I think part of that comes from CW shows (and a ot of genre shows in general) going with unknown actors without a lot of experience. If the show goes on long enough, they're able to grow as actors and fine tune their characters.

David Boreanaz from Angel S1 to S5 is another really good example of this.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Iris and Ralph have gotten better
Grant actually pulls out some really good work when he has to. The scene of him arguing with you know who near the end of last season was some really good dramatic work out of a guy who's been kinda-sorta coasting for a season or two.
Martin and Cavanaugh aside, I actually think Grant and Parker are the show's two best actors. The problem with Gustin in S4 is that you can tell that he knows the content he's working with sucks and just kinda sleep walks his way through it. Thank god for
Nora
in S5 because she brought out Barry's strengths as a character and Gustin's ability to bounce off another solid performer.

I've always thought Parker was an underrated actor by the fans. I just think she gets bad and thoughtless material to work with. I stand by my notion that she did the best possible job anyone could've done with S4's material. Like Gustin, she's really sells me on those sadder and more emotional moments.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif
I remember seeing these two and both were so damn good in their own way. God, I miss S5 of Arrow. it was truly peak Arrow.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah Grant was always a good actor. So was Parker, but the character direction was "play a 12 year old" to a 33 year old woman.

and the torture episode is great too

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
I'll always give them credit for making Barry sing that final song in-universe. No cop outs that he's enchanted or in a magical realm.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finished S3 yesterday and the Savitar reveal wasn't executed all that well in my opinion. Those last few episodes were a roller-coaster of them shoving a bunch of ideas/stuff that should have happened earlier in the season. A part that made me laugh while also being dumb was when...

They literally attempted at the last minute to give Savv some sort of character before they squandered it. I got some flash-backs to when Legends S1 tried that with Lame Butt Savage.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Okay, everyone. I am now through the 2016-2017 seasons of the Arrowverse.

Legends of Tomorrow S2: A considerable leap over the first season. At first, I was bothered by the lack of Rip but it forced the other characters to jump to the forefront and his return was incredibly fun as we got to see him play something very different. He was actually a fairly frightening villain. The time travel aspect was also handled much better in S2, with the individual time-period-of-the-week stories being much stronger. And the Legion of Doom was just awesome. I do miss having Cold as a series regular though. He just eats up every scene he is in.

Arrow S5: Wow. Just wow. I consider Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 to be the best season of comic book television ever but this now ranks up there with it. I don't think S3 and S4 were bad seasons of television -- just noticeable drops in quality for a number of reasons. But this was just an incredible comeback. All of the new characters worked, especially Rene and his surprisingly perfect relationship with Quentin, who remains a force. And yes, Prometheus is one of the great villains of genre television.

The season finale was likely the best episode of the series and the Arrowverse as a whole. Bringing everything together from the beginning of the series in the way that they did was masterful. It is also the best work Stephen Amell has ever done on the series. As I mentioned earlier, I love long-running genre shows because they often use unknown actors. This means you get to see these actors grow over the years, making later moments very special. There is a moment in the finale where Chase takes William out of the front of the boat and Oliver's reaction is this weak and shaky, "Oh!" It's such a small moment but something that felt very real.

The entire cast and crew deserve so much praise for what they pulled off with S5.

The Flash S3: With the first half of the season, I felt it was better than S2 but it did get messy in the second half. While I enjoy Caitlin as Frost, the split personality thing just didn't work because the writers didn't, you know, explain it. Why did her personality change along with her powers? It just didn't make sense.

I also feel like they wasted an opportunity with Savitar. The reveal that he was a corrupted Barry should have happened far earlier in the season and I'm disappointed that they teased the idea of his redemption in the finale only to immediately take it back. If the reveal happened in the season's midway point and his potential redemption became an actual arc, that could have been interesting. Instead, it felt very rushed in the back end of the season.

On a positive note, I still very much enjoyed the season as a whole. The comedic elements of the season were great and the musical episode is one of my favorites in the Arrowverse. H.R. was also an inspired character and watching Tom Cavanagh get to have that much fun every episode was an absolute joy.

Supergirl S2: Much like Legends, the second year for Supergirl was a noticeable step up. While the show certainly has flaws, mainly the lack of a truly great Big Bad or season long arc, it makes up for it with the cast and their interactions. It seems as if reaction to James was mixed this season but I generally thought the Guardian stuff was great. My main complaint was they didn't do a lot with him in the second half. Moving Winn to the DEO was a great decision for his character and the DEO as a concept worked a lot better for me this season.

Most importantly, Mon-fucking-El was an absolutely fantastic addition to the series. Chris Wood's comedic timing is so damn good and I love the guy.

And now, my updated ranking:

Arrow S5
Arrow S2
The Flash S1
Arrow S1
Legends of Tomorrow S2
The Flash S2
Supergirl S2
The Flash S3
Arrow S3
Legends of Tomorrow S1
Supergirl S1
Arrow S4
Constantine S1

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Okay, everyone. I am now through the 2016-2017 seasons of the Arrowverse.

Legends of Tomorrow S2: A considerable leap over the first season. At first, I was bothered by the lack of Rip but it forced the other characters to jump to the forefront and his return was incredibly fun as we got to see him play something very different. He was actually a fairly frightening villain. The time travel aspect was also handled much better in S2, with the individual time-period-of-the-week stories being much stronger. And the Legion of Doom was just awesome. I do miss having Cold as a series regular though. He just eats up every scene he is in.

Arrow S5: Wow. Just wow. I consider Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 to be the best season of comic book television ever but this now ranks up there with it. I don't think S3 and S4 were bad seasons of television -- just noticeable drops in quality for a number of reasons. But this was just an incredible comeback. All of the new characters worked, especially Rene and his surprisingly perfect relationship with Quentin, who remains a force. And yes, Prometheus is one of the great villains of genre television.

The season finale was likely the best episode of the series and the Arrowverse as a whole. Bringing everything together from the beginning of the series in the way that they did was masterful. It is also the best work Stephen Amell has ever done on the series. As I mentioned earlier, I love long-running genre shows because they often use unknown actors. This means you get to see these actors grow over the years, making later moments very special. There is a moment in the finale where Chase takes William out of the front of the boat and Oliver's reaction is this weak and shaky, "Oh!" It's such a small moment but something that felt very real.

The entire cast and crew deserve so much praise for what they pulled off with S5.

The Flash S3: With the first half of the season, I felt it was better than S2 but it did get messy in the second half. While I enjoy Caitlin as Frost, the split personality thing just didn't work because the writers didn't, you know, explain it. Why did her personality change along with her powers? It just didn't make sense.

I also feel like they wasted an opportunity with Savitar. The reveal that he was a corrupted Barry should have happened far earlier in the season and I'm disappointed that they teased the idea of his redemption in the finale only to immediately take it back. If the reveal happened in the season's midway point and his potential redemption became an actual arc, that could have been interesting. Instead, it felt very rushed in the back end of the season.

On a positive note, I still very much enjoyed the season as a whole. The comedic elements of the season were great and the musical episode is one of my favorites in the Arrowverse. H.R. was also an inspired character and watching Tom Cavanagh get to have that much fun every episode was an absolute joy.

Supergirl S2: Much like Legends, the second year for Supergirl was a noticeable step up. While the show certainly has flaws, mainly the lack of a truly great Big Bad or season long arc, it makes up for it with the cast and their interactions. It seems as if reaction to James was mixed this season but I generally thought the Guardian stuff was great. My main complaint was they didn't do a lot with him in the second half. Moving Winn to the DEO was a great decision for his character and the DEO as a concept worked a lot better for me this season.

Most importantly, Mon-fucking-El was an absolutely fantastic addition to the series. Chris Wood's comedic timing is so damn good and I love the guy.

And now, my updated ranking:

Arrow S5
Arrow S2
The Flash S1
Arrow S1
Legends of Tomorrow S2
The Flash S2
Supergirl S2
The Flash S3
Arrow S3
Legends of Tomorrow S1
Supergirl S1
Arrow S4
Constantine S1

I been saying Arrow S5 is AoS S4 quality. Happy to see another convert!

Good news, too - Legends continues it's upward trend year over year.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

It's crazy how those dreadful S4 Arrow flashbacks somehow gave us the foundation for S5.

The finale is perfect. I especially loved seeing the flashbacks come full circle. I knew exactly how it'd end but my heart was still racing as Oliver rushed to fire his signal in time. Seeing that conversation with Moira with the context of what's to come is so heartbreaking. S5 of Arrow is literally one of my favorite seasons of TV. It made nostalgic for a show I once hated.

*also*
SkeletalAlienatedCaudata-size_restricted.gif

Omar Ramzy

Banned
Oct 21, 2019
Okay,
These shows are of a bit confusing.
Episodes and seasons don't hold out a certain level of quality, but I'm still watching Arrow and the flash.
Dropped the others as they didn't entertain me
Waiting for CoIE like a maniac
But really both flash and arrow are starting off rather well this year

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Okay,
These shows are of a bit confusing.
Episodes and seasons don't hold out a certain level of quality, but I'm still watching Arrow and the flash.
Dropped the others as they didn't entertain me
Waiting for CoIE like a maniac
But really both flash and arrow are starting off rather well this year

This is not the thread for the current discussion on arrow and flash, this is about a Zeo rewatching it from the start

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've reached the end of end of the DC TV threads on GAF, as I was reading through them along with my rewatch.

It's still so strange just watching the threads die overnight.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, no no.

I'm caught up to where the threads ended on GAF two years ago. I've now moved on to the Era threads.

I totally glitched out and missed the GAF part. That makes so much more sense. I was going to legitimately be concerned for your health if you somehow managed to catch up with EVERYTHING since your last summary post.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I totally glitched out and missed the GAF part. That makes so much more sense. I was going to legitimately be concerned for your health if you somehow managed to catch up with EVERYTHING since your last summary post.

LOL.

Yeah, I have a lot of free time lately but that might be physically impossible. Not unless I catch up like Barry did with Game of Thrones.