• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I think this movie might be kinda shit

I also think I like it a lot

Some really good songs from the Dear Evan Hanson duo and a really strong performance from. Jackman. Added bonus of watching him carry Efron through this musical number.

I know it also flopped on release but had insane legs, grossing over 400 million.

Anyways feel free to share your thoughts on the film.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The movie itself was kinda meh, but the songs were good imo. I feel like there should have been one or two more songs as well, movie just kinda goes "welp, time to end!"

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Perfectly paced and highly rewatchable. Even my daughter's (Japanese) grade school teacher swears by the soundtrack.

The 4K HDR version is phenomenal.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I actually love this movie, and play the soundtrack all the freaking time. So many great songs!

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One of the best musicals in recent history, and in my eyes, one of the stronger movies of last year. Highly underrated.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I liked it.

I felt Hugh Jackman's character was still an ass though and didn't really deserve the ending he got.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Even my daughter's (Japanese) grade school teacher swears by the soundtrack.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It was a little too high-school-musicalish for me but the songs were still pretty damn catchy. Come Alive and The Other Side were my favorites.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had very low expectations and I loved it. My daughter has the soundtrack on repeat nonstop. Some of those songs like This Is Me are clsssics.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Our 4 year old daughter latched on to this movie like nothing else since Moana.

I thought it was okay. The acting was kind of crap and the plot was a mess especially after seeing how historically innacurate it is. The soundtrack has been on repeat since she first watched it. Songs are catchy enough.

She wants us all to be "The Greatest Showman" for Halloween, lol. Her Zendaya's character, her little brother Zac Efron, my wife the bearded lady and me Hugh Jackman.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
The songs are great, the movie is terrible.
People talk about the production issues on solo but not on this, I am surprised that they got a film put at all.
There is that bad bit in the aftermath of the fire where Zack has a cgi face for no good reason.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
The movie was about as cliched and bland a comeback story as possible. It's almost entirely wrong on just about everything in the film from a historical standpoint. The songs are the only saving grace of the film and Hugh Jackman is always entertaining.

I'm willing to forgive some of the historical issues, but overall I'm not sure the real value of it. You could have used a fictional figure and it would have been just as viable. PT was not a good man. His exploitation of the worst off in society and other cultures is downright horrifying. AS weird as this sounds, a musical about a man trying to start a good business and be a good father, is historical revisionism on par with Spring Time for Hitler. Keeping it PT just puts more focus on this when you literally could have just claimed "inspired" and used mostly fictional characters.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I had zero interest watching a movie that glorified a con artist and a business with a long reputation of abusing animals and exploiting its workers.

One day, one of my house mates (who is obsessed with movie), bought it on bluray and had it playing in the living room and I kinda half-watched it. The story still sucks....but yeah, the music was good. There was a song near the end that I told her to replay because I'm a sucker for songs with that "stomping" beat to it.

That choreography makes me want to learn how to dance.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From Now On is one of the best musical songs ever.

I love the soundtrack, tbh. Funny cause i know these will be dismissed as some typical pop bullshit songs, but while la la land's OST made me bored out of my mind, this one gave me chills and exhilaration. Every song is good.

So tell me, do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this recently after my sister kept recommending it to me. The music and choreography is great but everything around it is awful. Barnum was a real shady businessman and he doesn't deserve to be gaslighted like this. It also feels like it moves too quickly, constantly moving from set piece to set piece with no time for anything to breathe. That can work on stage but I don't think it works well for a movie. The company of misfits needed to be able to exist as their own characters rather than just being tropes, at least to balance the arrogant bravado of Barnum.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
This is going to be one of those films that's just around forever, the soundtrack has been huge

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
I still have to watch this. Saw a couple of the songs performed during this season of American Idol and the songs seem really great.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Mangold and Condon had to come in the edit and fix the mess they filmed apparently
I think you oversold that lol. I just read the article and Mangold came in on an advisory role because they were worried the director was overwhelmed. Gracey still filmed all principal and reshoots. Not sure I'd call it a mess, and definitely nowhere near Solo levels.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I think you oversold that lol. I just read the article and Mangold came in on an advisory role because they were worried the director was overwhelmed. Gracey still filmed all principal and reshoots. Not sure I'd call it a mess, and definitely nowhere near Solo levels.
I think the producer made it sound better than it actually was.
He was on set for the reshoots, Jacked man called James in for good reason tho.
It was on twitter at the time that it was in big trouble I seem to remember, and I don't mean the fire.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What saves this movie is how much heart it has. I acknowledge its shortcomings, but I still like it a lot.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What saves this movie is how much heart it has. I acknowledge its shortcomings, but I still like it a lot.
Watching the behind the scenes stuff made me like it even more. The cast really cares about the songs and the message. I think it adds an extra layer to repeat viewings.

I think the producer made it sound better than it actually was.
He was on set for the reshoots, Jacked man called James in for good reason tho.
It was on twitter at the time that it was in big trouble I seem to remember, and I don't mean the fire.
Ah, I only read the Variety article. Didn't seem too bad, I'm sure he helped a good amount though.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Watching the behind the scenes stuff made me like it even more. The cast really cares about the songs and the message. I think it adds an extra layer to repeat viewings.

Ah, I only read the Variety article. Didn't seem too bad, I'm sure he helped a good amount though.
They may have been wrong, but the whole film looks and feels disjointed and unfinished.
Some shots look amazing and others look like TV.
And I still cannot find an answer for why Zac has a CGI face!!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They may have been wrong, but the whole film looks and feels disjointed and unfinished.
Some shots look amazing and others look like TV.
And I still cannot find an answer for why Zac has a CGI face!!
I'm not sure what you mean. I think it all looks great. Do you mean the backdrops? Because those are all paintings and meant to look kind of fantastical

And when does he have a cgi face? Never noticed

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
A girl I was dating was in love with it, but we never got around to watching it. I didn't go see it in theatres because it's not my type of movie. Haven't seen it since either.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I'm not sure what you mean. I think it all looks great. Do you mean the backdrops? Because those are all paintings and meant to look kind of fantastical

And when does he have a cgi face? Never noticed
Some of it the production design just feels empty, it's hard to nail down.
Some of it is rich and stunning.
The cgi is just after the fire when he is out of hospital

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Some of it the production design just feels empty, it's hard to nail down.
Some of it is rich and stunning.
The cgi is just after the fire when he is out of hospital
Idk man, I think that's just your preference lol. Calling it disjointed or unfinished is kind of harsh.

In front of the rubble? Looks like real Zac to me.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I saved this movie

also its' box office performance is absolutely stunning and doesn't make a lot of sense but wHOO

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
The Missus and I thoroughly enjoy this movie, mainly because we both love Hugh Jackman and musicals (even though the movie was NOT marketed as a musical in our area). Love the message, love the soundtrack, love the whole "We will make life work because we choose to make it work!" angle. In many ways we can identify ourselves with a lot of the themes.

I think "This Is Me" is a classic. It'll be one of the defining songs from musicals during this time period.
Oh instant classic! Everyone need to see the movie JUST for that one song delivered so perfectly! Also, some people need to also LISTEN to the song and understand that you are who you are, and the world can just shut the fuck up if it doesn't like that!

I really want this converted to a stage show.
And this is basically what my wife said when exiting the theater.

It's a better soundtrack than it is movie. Fun, but nothing that blew me away really.
And this, music so much better than the movie, but the soundtrack and the themes make the movie wonderful in my eyes.

GOD I love this movie...

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen this many times now. I'm really about it. The music's great and it's the most rewatchable musical I've seen, tho I don't have others.