• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
I'm playing on a PS4 Pro targeting 60fps.While the gameplay and story are superb.
Some of the games visuals have not aged well at all.
I've just got through the sewer section and im in that big falling down office building with lots of clickers.
Theres lots of bad textures, building geometry looks low poly and weird, the lighting is also pretty bland.
A lot of people laud TLOU as showing the PS3's caperbility but while I was playing yesterday it looked quite jank.
Other last gen remasters like god of war 3,RDR, gears 3 hold up a lot better.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
A game made in the PS3 generation look worse than current gen games.
More news at 11.
And IMO TLOU remastered looks better than the other remasters.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
If you think Last of Us has not aged well graphically then you better not play any PS1-PS2-early PS3 games ever.

When I played the game when it came out on PS3 it was the best looking game in the system for me alongside Uncharted 3.

Feb 26, 2018
I agree that it doesn't look mindblowing if you compare to new gen games but calling it 'jank' is just wrong.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are quite a few better looking PS3 games. To name them: Killzone 2+3, Uncharted 2+3, God of War 3+Ascension.
TLOU still was a great technical achievement for the era, but it also showed that they really pushed the PS3 to it's limits with some of the larger areas. It still had a lot of fantastic setpieces, animation and character models.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's still ultimately a PS3 game despite being on the PS4, so it's not like it's going to hold up against Horizon or Spiderman or God of War.

it's still one of the best looking and animating games of that entire generation though.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
TLOU was lauded for being great, not for being perfect. Of course you're gonna find less polished aspects of a game.

Besides, being a late last gen game, some things had to look worse for others to look better.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I agree that the game looked quite murky at times.

Maybe it's because lots of dark areas, whereas Uncharted 3 is better because more brighter settings/places, in my opinion.

But ever since U4 & The Lost Legacy, they managed to upped their graphics & art direction, so even those murky sections are now nice to look at.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PS4 Pro targeting 60fps.While the gameplay and story are superb.
Some of the games visuals have not aged well at all.
I've just got through the sewer section and im in that big falling down office building with lots of clickers.
Theres lots of bad textures, building geometry looks low poly and weird, the lighting is also pretty bland.
A lot of people laud TLOU as showing the PS3's caperbility but while I was playing yesterday it looked quite jank.
Other last gen remasters like god of war 3,RDR, gears 3 hold up a lot better.
TLOUR is a 60fps game. RDR and gears are 30fps games.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
Not that the gameplay was great to begin with, but playing it recently made me realize how shallow the mechanics were, and that aged far worse than the visuals.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I played it when it came out on PS3 and recently on PS4,thought it was fine as a PS4 game.Saying that,I don't go looking for bad textures in games and didn't notice anything that stood out as bad to me.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I played it when it came out on PS3 and recently on PS4,thought it was fine as a PS4 game.Saying that,I don't go looking for bad textures in games and didn't notice anything that stood out as bad to me.

Nether do I, but after been pleasantly surprised by several last gen remasters, I was looking foward to Finally finishing the TLOU but when playing these visual aspects stook out like a sore thumb.
Hopefully it's just the section I'm playing. I Remember the start of the game looking better.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I think there are quite a few better looking PS3 games. To name them: Killzone 2+3, Uncharted 2+3, God of War 3+Ascension.
TLOU still was a great technical achievement for the era, but it also showed that they really pushed the PS3 to it's limits with some of the larger areas. It still had a lot of fantastic setpieces, animation and character models.

Uncharted games still look fantastic, and i think thats due to the artistic style holding it up. Same with GOW 3 with its amazing vistas, although i dislike the plastic look of some of the characters. Killzone i cant judge because although it looked stunning at the time, i dont know if the game would hold up as well in a hd collection at 1080p

I played last of us for the first time about 4 months back, and i still think the game held up incredibly well both mechanically and story wise ( although the constant need to grab dumpster boxes and ladders made the game drag). Yeah sure some textures at times look a tad bland, but you have to consider its an almost 6 year old game.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah do tourself a big favor and play games when they release (if possible, of course, haha). It's a fast changing industry and people are horrible at placing things in their proper timeframe.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When this was the billionth LTTP: The Last of Us, I expected the usual two extremes, either the "game is overrated, bland, boring, stupid, why is this good again?" take or the utter wankfest that usually follows the faultless masterpiece that is The Last of Us around.

Congratulations OP, you've made possibly the most unique LTTP: The Last of Us take I've ever read.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till you get to Winter section. That's the most impressive section visually. That's not to say that it will start looking like a PS4 game, but it is still a visual treat.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Turn off 60fps to get better lighting. And don't expect a 6 years old game from last gen to blow your mind!

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
With the prestige TLOU holds visually I expected it be look better then gears 3, RDR1 and GOW3 remasters do (1x BC for the first 2)
When it came out it was an incredible looking game, i remember being blown away. I'm not sure about gears but it definitely looks better than rdr1. Gow3 is incredible looking so i agree with you there, but point is tlou is still decent looking game but it obviously doesn't come close to current gen titles.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
With the prestige TLOU holds visually I expected it be look better then gears 3, RDR1 and GOW3 remasters do (1x BC for the first 2)

Since when were the visuals of TLOU more prestigious than those games? Gears 3 and God of War 3 were both acknowledged as crazy looking games when they released, and RDR 1 has a cartoony aesthetic that holds up much better over time.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just that though, some games age better then others. Like the ones I mentioned.
Sure. But you mention stuff that's 100% logical. You compare the textures with games from now... Why? The game looked great on PS3 and some think it still looks great. I personally don't think it looks great for now, to be clear (though it still looks fine to play). So i agree on that. But back then it was a great looking game. It's not much of a Remaster imo. Game basiclaly looks the same as on PS3 but in higer res. If you're not able to put things in a proper timeframe, than no LTTP is of any use. Doesn't mean you have to like the game, of course.

Killzone 2 didn't have that great textures either, by the way. We all have cloudy memory when it comes to visuals. But these games looked amazing then because there wasn't much in the world of video-games that looked better.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Best multiplayer ever made. Just get rid of the stupid sniper rifle. It's an 'abuse of controls'.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Sure. But you mention stuff that's 100% logical. You compare the textures with games from now... Why? The game looked great on PS3 and some think it still looks great. I personally don't think it looks great for now, to be clear (though it still looks fine to play). So i agree on that. But back then it was a great looking game. It's not much of a Remaster imo. Game basiclaly looks the same as on PS3 but in higer res. If you're not able to put things in a proper timeframe, than no LTTP is of any use. Doesn't mean you have to like the game, of course.

Killzone 2 didn't have that great textures either, by the way. We all have cloudy memory when it comes to visuals. But these games looked amazing then because there wasn't much in the world of video-games that looked better.

Where did I compare textures to games from now?
I thought I would be in for a treat playing thou remaster on my pro, but unlike other remasters it's quite disappointing visually.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ehh I can't really agree.

I played it on the ps4 last year and the visuals are pretty good.

I mean you can tell it was a last gen game but visually still stunning

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Nether do I, but after been pleasantly surprised by several last gen remasters, I was looking foward to Finally finishing the TLOU but when playing these visual aspects stook out like a sore thumb.
Hopefully it's just the section I'm playing. I Remember the start of the game looking better.
I just noticed that you played in 60fps mode......I played in 30fps mode,perhaps the textures took a hit in the mode you played.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Wtf?

You think rdr looks better than tlou? R u insane? I just recently played it on the 1X also on my 4k oled tv and its nowhere close