• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wtf?

You think rdr looks better than tlou? R u insane? I just recently played it on the 1X also on my 4k oled tv and its nowhere close
he is playing in 60 FPS and in 60 FPS the game doesnt hold that well as many assets are downgraded .not just resolution. u most probably played 30 FPS

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PS4 Pro targeting 60fps.While the gameplay and story are superb.
Some of the games visuals have not aged well at all.
I've just got through the sewer section and im in that big falling down office building with lots of clickers.
Theres lots of bad textures, building geometry looks low poly and weird, the lighting is also pretty bland.
A lot of people laud TLOU as showing the PS3's caperbility but while I was playing yesterday it looked quite jank.
Other last gen remasters like god of war 3,RDR, gears 3 hold up a lot better.

RDR never had a remaster though. That being said couldn't have disagreed more, The Last of Us looked remarkable then(PS3) and looks remarkable now(PS4 & PS3). I don't quite get your bad textures/lighting bland argument. There could be a few minor visual blemishes which can easily be overlooked. I played The Last of Us remaster on PS4 and not the Pro though.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Did they fix the horrible judder the game has in 30fps in the pro patch? I remember trying out the 30fps mode on the base PS4 and the frame pacing/judder/whatever was worse than Bloodborne's, it actually made me sick.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
RDR never had a remaster though. That being said couldn't have disagreed more, The Last of Us looked remarkable then(PS3) and looks remarkable now(PS4 & PS3). I don't quite get your bad textures/lighting bland argument. There could be a few minor visual blemishes which can easily be overlooked. I played The Last of Us remaster on PS4 and not the Pro though.

I'm talking about RDR on X1x.
It's 4k with 16x AF.
Its not a remaster but it as good as one.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
TLoU is one of the best looking past gen games and the remaster looks great on ps4.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I've just got to the underground train station and this part has better geometry and this game shines best with colour.
The dark sections when your escaping the recons are hopefully the only janky parts.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
But besides 16xAf + resolution, RDR and gears 3 have not had anything altered.
So the comparison is fair.
It's not. TLOU was running at sub 30fps on PS3. And it's mostly 16xAF on TLOUR too, all textures have being redone in higher resolution. Did they redo the textures on RDR and gears 3 ? I don't think so.

Anyways the game looks much better after, you'll see. the beginning of the game has never looked great. And IMO you are objectively wrong. It's still one of the most technically impressive remaster (and even game) on PS4 (1080p60fps) and Pro (1800p60fps). No checkerboard, no dynamic resolution with a very stable framerate.

How many remasters have had their framerate doubled on PS4 / XB1 ? You won't find many. Halo MCC ? Still 30fps and same textures on XBX. 16xAF doesn't do all. GTA5 ? same 30fps, same textures on PS4 / XB1.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
It's not. TLOU was running at sub 30fps on PS3. And it's mostly 16xAF on TLOUR too, all textures have being redone in higher resolution. Did they redo the textures on RDR and gears 3 ? I don't think so.

Anyways the game looks much better after, you'll see. the beginning of the game has never looked great. And IMO you are objectively wrong. It's still one of the most technically impressive remaster (and even game) on PS4 (1080p60fps) and Pro (1800p60fps). No checkerboard, no dynamic resolution with a very stable framerate.

How many remasters have had their framerate doubled on PS4 / XB1 ? You won't find many. Halo MCC ? Still 30fps and same textures on XBX. 16xAF doesn't do all. GTA5 ? same 30fps, same textures on PS4 / XB1.

"IMO you are objectively wrong"

It can't be your opinion and be objective.

MCC is 60fps.
Textures are redone on TLOUps4? I don't think they are?

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
When this was the billionth LTTP: The Last of Us, I expected the usual two extremes, either the "game is overrated, bland, boring, stupid, why is this good again?" take or the utter wankfest that usually follows the faultless masterpiece that is The Last of Us around.

Congratulations OP, you've made possibly the most unique LTTP: The Last of Us take I've ever read.

Coincidentally, I played and finished the game over the weekend for the first time since the the PS3 version's launch.
It immediately came back to me why this is a truly masterpiece this game is and how its gameplay puts more modern games to shame.

I can cope with the PS3 graphics today because I understand this is not a current gen game or a remake.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'm playing on a PS4 Pro targeting 60fps.While the gameplay and story are superb.
Some of the games visuals have not aged well at all.
I've just got through the sewer section and im in that big falling down office building with lots of clickers.
Theres lots of bad textures, building geometry looks low poly and weird, the lighting is also pretty bland.
A lot of people laud TLOU as showing the PS3's caperbility but while I was playing yesterday it looked quite jank.
Other last gen remasters like god of war 3,RDR, gears 3 hold up a lot better.

It's a prettied up PS3 game. That said, I played the PS3 version, and I found the visuals quite uneven, ranging from gorgeous to disappointing for a studio that made Uncharted 2 and 3. If you're still near the beginning, the visuals get better later on.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks really good, the only blatant problem with its visuals are some really bad textures going on here and there. But it was one of the most impressive looking PS3 games.

I remember the hotel area looking particularly REALLY good.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Another really anoying thing, is I've noticed the black levels in TLOUr have a whitish grey over them.
I checked some youtube footage and there black levels seem to be better.

So I thought it could be the RGB range which I changed to limited because everything was to dark with Netflix content.
So I changed it back to automatic and the black levels are far better on TLoU ( blacks are actually black), but then Netflix returns to being too black.
At this point I want to through my ps4 out the bloody window, why is this shit so hard to get right?

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I'm wondering if I should even play 60fps mode since TLOU Part 2 will be in 30fps. It'll be weird feeling like the sequel plays much worse, ya know?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
GTA5? same 30fps, same textures on PS4 / XB1.
Visuals were largely upgraded over last gen release across the board. Higher res textures and shadows, improved shaders, some tesselation, increased foliage, added more animals, increased traffic and pedestrian density, increased rendering distance and that's just what comes to memory right now. It was no mere upresed port.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I don't suppose anyone else can comment on the black levels in the TLOU with limited and full RGB?

Full RGB has noticeably darker black levels then limited for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

you know man, I never thought that section looked great - definitely the weakest visuals in the game and weird gamma issues. Push through - the game (visuals and gameplay) really gets cooking after you get out of the first city.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i disagree, for a ps3 title the game is still good looking.

also some animation and camera work during melee and shooting are some of the best in the business, tlou has low-key the most satysfying bow of the last generation and surely the best melee system of all the tps on the market.

fight me.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Where is that? The hotel basement was before the sewer and there were only stalkers and one blooper.
The one in university is two hours after the sewer section.
It's after the initial sewer section where you have to avoid the military forces and then you exit out to a broken highway bridge. Right after that there's a huge office building that is broken in half and leaning to the side.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's after the initial sewer section where you have to avoid the military forces and then you exit out to a broken highway bridge. Right after that there's a huge office building that is broken in half and leaning to the side.
Oh, I was thinking about the sewer in suburb Pittsburgh.
If OP is still this early, I suggest being patient. The game gets way better (both visual and gameplay wise) after leaving downtown Boston.
Honestly the game can pass as a current gen game in 2014.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Have you tried using limited on PS4 and full on the TV? I personally never had any issues with it but I've heard the PS4 has the settings reversed or something, not sure.

If its set to limited, the black levels are not good, shadows taking on a whitish grey.
However I'm God of war I don't have this problem.
I probably just stick to limited, because outside in TLOU it looks to dark.
Kinda annoying though.
For a game like TLOU I want nice deep black in dark scenes.
People should try it out and you will see what I mean.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If its set to limited, the black levels are not good, shadows taking on a whitish grey.
However I'm God of war I don't have this problem.
I probably just stick to limited, because outside in TLOU it looks to dark.
Kinda annoying though.
For a game like TLOU I want nice deep black in dark scenes.
People should try it out and you will see what I mean.

Similar to RE2, the haze in the "dark" scenes is an intentional art decision in the stage of the game you're at. Once you leave the first city, the dark sections are properly dark.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Game still holds up pretty well, one of the best looking games last generation.
PS3 shot:
_bmUploads_2013-04-08_1872_TLOU_WB_Englishconv.jpg

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
TLOUR is a port. They added models from cinematics and enhanced some effects, but essentially the game is still using ps3 assets.

Still looks great IMO, even with some lowres ps3 textures (ps3 had 256mb of VRAM :) ).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The first sewer section has really bad gamma issued on PS4 where the blacks look grey. It was only that part but I don't think they ever fixed it.