• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm going to quote my post from another thread because I kind of want to discuss this further and after watching it some more, I find this era of video game TV shows to be FASCINATING.

I almost want the next 2D Mario to disregard 30 years of evolution and base a game off of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I'm staying at a hotel with my family and my nephew is watching it. I remember watching this as a kid (maybe when I was 3 and there were reruns in the mid-90s), but I just specifically remember the episode where Luigi and Yoshi turn into chickens after eating burgers made by Bowser (King Koopa? whatever). I never revisited it. To preface, I've had a few beers, but I thought I'd get a kick out of revisiting it. Holy hell, dude.

So far, in this one episode, we've had a rap theme song, followed by a live action Ron Jeremy look-a-like claiming to be Mario and then ANOTHER rap theme song. Now Birdo is licking Toad and feeding him from a bottle? Mario is talking about plungers as if he's ACTUALLY knows the art of plumbing? Bowser wants his feet licked and his GOONS ARE ACTUALLY DOING IT???? Peach literally tells Mario that he can become THE Super Mario, and the way to do it is through the power of pasta. This is wild, how do people hate this show?

EDIT: Netflix kept the teaser at the end of the episode for the Legend of Zelda cartoon, complete with a clip of Link saying "excuuuuuuuuse me Princess" to signal his catchphrase, which is set to air "This Friday!". Mario then rapped "Do the Mario!" to the tune of the song from 1-1. Yeah, I'm binging this whether my nephew stays awake or not.

I see a lot of casual hate for this show in particular nowadays. My thread title is a bit of a joke, I realize it's... uh... not the Mario we're used to, but I'm getting a weird kick out of watching this when juxtaposed to the Mario of today. Do you find it possible to enjoy this show nowadays, with the knowledge that this was a different time, or do you loathe this show with every fiber of your being? Let's discuss.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I LOVED this show as a kid. The Super Mario World show was objectively better though. It's actually the only Mario media that has a somewhat interesting story

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i don't hate, it, but like with almost every cartoon from the 80s/90s, it's aged quite poorly. i mean, the animation in particular is awful. but i do have a lot of nostalgia for it. the soundtrack also kicks ass.

that being said, i was always more of a Adventures of SMB3 and SMW kind of guy (just like with the games!)

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, they are very close, but "The New Super Mario Bros. World" (as they sometimes called it on commercial breaks) is a different cartoon from the Super Show's "The Super Mario Bros." segments. I mean, Mama Luigi is a semi-literal adaptation of the SMW game story. But Super Show is the weirdest mishmash of two games with the live action stuff and it's just wacky nonsense. My peers when I was a kid preferred other shows, lol. Or would only watch it for the Zelda episodes.

Don't think there's much of a distinction when the designs, cast and animation are more or less the same (save for Yoshi replacing Toad and all the cave people).

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This was my childhood. I still enjoy it unironically. Captain Lou and Danny Wells are my cannon Mario and Luigi. The live-action is cheesy but that's why it's fun. The cartoon is entertaining.

I still remember the day the 1980s died. The day those two surfer douchbags showed up and it changed to Club Mario. Fuck that shit right in the ass. I was so pissed. I stopped watching. It destroyed my childhood.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My partner, for whatever reason, thought it would be funny to show this show to our four year old. Now the kid loves it.

Tubi had the SMB3, SMW, and Zelda shows up until last month as well.

I LOVED this show as a kid. The Super Mario World show was objectively better though. It's actually the only Mario media that has a somewhat interesting story

Strongly disagree.

The original show is the most creative and least awful of the three. Every episode is full of pop culture references (many dated even for the mid 80s) and many are outright parodies of movies from the era.

SMB3's stories massively overuse the Koopa Kids, who all have dumb names and are extremely annoying.

SMW continues with the SMB3 formula but puts everyone in prehistoric times with cavemen. 3 and World also have too great a focus on dimensional travel from real NY to the Mushroom Kingdom/Dinosaur Land, which almost always goes the same way and lacks any spark.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think I peaked on Mario with Mario 3 (one of the GOATs). I watched the Mario show but soon found myself way more attracted to what at the time was the edgier shit like TMNT or later Sonic.

Its definitely a weird show.

OP
OP
Archduke Kong

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

In hindsight, the episode where Yoshi and Luigi turn into chickens after eating Koopa Burgers is probably the Mario World show.

STILL. This is so strange. I always love the weirder Mario stuff, and I think it's because homogenized Mario has fatigued me on him. I like that his newer games are experimenting more but the fact that I'm at a point where I think Mario's current mainline games (that aren't Odysssy) are less interesting than a really bad interpretation of his world from a late 80s cartoon probably says a lot.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Here in Brazil no one hates this show, the voice acting was such on point that made the characters being on the people's mind for the whole 90's.

When Colonia Contra-Ataca made a video about the old show, it reached at 1m views, counting both the Live-Action part and the Cartoon part and also made someone pick the best lines of the Toad and make a compilation about it.

It's sad that "Brazil" and "Nintendo" aren't a thing since 2003.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
King Koopa is still my favorite version of the character. You gotta love a guy who knew how to commit to a theme and his cosplay was undefeated.