• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

I've never seen this before, and it's pretty fascinating. With the footage from this trailer (which is painful to watch because it's a screen captured on video in the 90s; sorry about that) we see that this version of the game IS after development was rebooted with Claire replacing Elza, with environments from the release version of Resident Evil 2, but the trailer also uses RE1.5 environments and backgrounds, including some stuff I've never seen before. Some zombie models from the released RE2 are here, but it looks like there are some yet-to-be replaced animations on them, and there's some 1.5 zombies as well. The weapon models are also completely different from RE2 as we know it, with Leon and Claire wielding much more complicated looking, bulkier guns (Claire looks like she has some sort of full on LMG or AR, while Leon seems to have a magazine fed shotgun like an AA12). Leon's model also looks different from the released RE2, with some different animations. There's also an older version of the Licker intro scene in this trailer, where a police officer's head is dropped to the floor when the player approached the blood puddle in the hallway, and then the licker drops immediately without the game cutting to an FMV sequence. I feel like I've heard of this beta-version of the Licker scene but have never seen it personally.

The most exciting part of the footage though is that it looks like the man-spider hybrid creature from RE1.5 was in some capacity carried over to RE2 since this footage features it in a final RE2 lab hallway (using the same trick that the Lickers would use in that hallway instead). It looks like a bigger, bulkier, almost Tyrant-like version of the Chimera enemies from Resident Evil 1, and it's a shame this baddie didn't make it into the final version.

Anyway, I have no idea how widely known or seen this strange in-between version of Resident Evil 2 is, but I thought it might be pretty cool to share.

Oct 27, 2017
About the spider man part, one dream I had before is to bring back Elza Waller along with new characters to replace Leon and the rest, in a new RC game that takes place somewhere else in the city and make spider man the "tyrant" of the game. Maybe make it take place in the sheriff department that the cop from the intro of REmake 2 belongs to and the other half can go wherever. Maybe to the mountains like REmake 2 was gonna do.

The ideas and designs are too good to leave IMO.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very knowledgeable about 1.5 since I was one of those loonies obsessed with finding back in the Bioflames days back in the early 2000's, and I can tell you with almost certainty that that footage is mashed up with footage of 2 different versions; one of actual 1.5, and the other of what's usually considered to be RE2 beta V1 (That's what it used to be called anyways).

The most telling part is that nothing with Claire is in the 1.5 areas, just Leon, as well as Claire being in the RE2 version of the police station. The common understanding is that by the time Claire came into the picture, most of what we associate with 1.5 was canned. It is weird though that footage of two different versions are together like it's from the same beta though.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man BOW should have been added into RE:2.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved that man spider. I would have taken those over Lickers any day. One of my wishes for RE2R was to include those enemies, at least in the sewer to replace the giant spiders.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I always loved that man spider. I would have taken those over Lickers any day. One of my wishes for RE2R was to include those enemies, at least in the sewer to replace the giant spiders.

I like the Chimera as well. Under used RE enemy imo.
re-chimeraremake.png

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm very knowledgeable about 1.5 since I was one of those loonies obsessed with finding back in the Bioflames days back in the early 2000's, and I can tell you with almost certainty that that footage is mashed up with footage of 2 different versions; one of actual 1.5, and the other of what's usually considered to be RE2 beta V1 (That's what it used to be called anyways).

The most telling part is that nothing with Claire is in the 1.5 areas, just Leon, as well as Claire being in the RE2 version of the police station. The common understanding is that by the time Claire came into the picture, most of what we associate with 1.5 was canned. It is weird though that footage of two different versions are together like it's from the same beta though.

I was gonna say, I've seen all of these 1.5 clips before in other trailers or gameplay footage. Very weird to display both old footage and new footage. When did Capcom even announce development had restarted….. did they?