• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, literally just finished Cold Steel 2 last night and I have to say..........I feel empty inside now lol. Empty in a good way because I genuinely loved the world and characters and playing this game was my nightly routine after work.
I'm not going to sit here and tell you the writing was incredible. The voice acting was immaculate. The graphics were outstanding.

They weren't.

But you know what? I genuinely loved these characters. I loved going around town and talking to everyone after every mission. Spreading the bonding points around so that no one felt left out lol.
I really did enjoy the gameplay (played both games on hard and would recommend this difficulty), but I found that once I understood the systems, I could pretty much destroy mobs 90% of the time without them even getting a single turn in. CS2 was even worse because S-crafts pretty much broke the game in my opinion. I gave Laura the highest strength I could and her Scraft would pretty much destroy anything, and took out like half a boss health.

The music was also fan-fucking-tastic. I mean, this track is so badass in context too.

And good LORD at the fucking AMOUNT OF TEXT. Holy shit. This is like 50 bibles put together or something. Everyone has something new to say every time a new chapter starts. Like something will happen in the world. And I'll go to some fucking boonies town and talk to someone who I would never speak to because they are completely irrelevant and out of the way...........and they'll have brand new text talking about what happened. Like what the fuck? Like, there is no point for me being here and there is no point for me to talk to this person, but there they are, saying something new. Pretty crazy.

I also really liked the story and world as well. I did not play any of the trails games before (I did however watch a plot walkthrough of all the games which was like 10 hours or something) and I don't think I would have missed out on TOO much. I would still recommend it though because some parts of these games feel awesome when a character is referenced or an event is taking place, and it connects them.
But yeah, I would play CS3 right now. No problem after I just sunk 150 hours. But I'm gonna wait till after Death Stranding.

Newcomers FAQ:

1. Should I play this game?
- Yes!

1a. How long are these games?
- I did no grinding or went out of my way to look for secrets or whatever. Just a casual playthrough for both.
Cold Steel 1: 85 hours
Cod Steel 2: 70 hours

2. What is the gameplay like?
- It is 100% turn based JRPG. All commands are selected, and on the side of the screen you can see turn order. This turn order can be manipulated to your favour and to the detriment of the enemy. Youtube video so you can see the combat. Not a spoiler! PS3 Footage

3. What is up with the graphics? Isn't this on PS4?
- Yes, Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 have been ported to the PS4 with enhancements like better resolution and fast froward mode and more VO. These games came out on the VITA. So yeah, a lot of the textures are super flat. The mouths are simple jpgs moving. The animations are REALLY stiff. I don't think you'll be super awed by the graphics, but it 100% has its moments where you'll think "This actually looks good!".

3a. So what is the general plot of Cold Steel 1/what do you do in this game?
- You are a group of students accepted into Thors Military Academy. General gameplay loop is you'll live a few days at the academy, doing student things, bonding with classmates. Then you'll get an assignment to travel to a different city and complete assignments there which usually turns into a bigger situation that the group gets involved in. Each assignment is usually self contained, but it will eventually feed into a bigger narrative, which also itself feeds into an overarching narrative. The game is less about some super God taking over the world, but more political, with different groups fighting for power for the country.
At the end of the day, this is a SLOW BURN. 10000% a slow burn. The first game at least. A lot of the places you go don't affect the world too much, but they are more about learning more about your classmates and learning more about the world. It does eventually turn into something bigger, but that kinda comes near the end where it goes into Trails of Cold Steel 2. The introductions are over, and now its about advancing that overarching narrative I was talking about.

4. So ummmm, how many games are there before Cold Steel 1?
- Yeah..........there are FIVE lol.

5. Surely you jest!
- No, there are 5. Am I going to say 100% you need to play all 5 before playing Cold Steel 1? No.
Do I think you will get more out of the Cold Steel games if you do? Absolutely.

If you are thinking to yourself "Ohh man, 5 games. Fuck this, I'm never gonna be able to get into the series", then I would say "Don't worry about it. Not yet at least"

6. Ok, there are 5 games. How does that tie into Cold Steel?
- Ok, the series is broken up like this. Imagine a continent with different countries in it. Trails 1-3 take place in one country with their own problems and characters and threat to overcome. Trails 4-5 take place after that, in a new country with new characters and threat to take care of. Trails 6-7 (Cold Steel 1 and 2) take place in another country with threats etc etc. 99% of the characters in the respective "arcs" are brand new, new story. However, everyone exists on this continent and all characters exist at the same time. Countries fight with each other, and sometimes characters from one of the other "arcs" will get referenced, show up, or events that have taken place there will get mentioned or directly affect your game.

Each arc though is roughly self contained, with a greater "evil" manipulating ALL the games.

So yeah, you'll see a character from an old game show up and you'll be like "Ohhh its THAT PERSON! Cool!!!" or "Ohh wow. So thats what happened over there". Not really mandatory, but definitely nice.

7. Ok, fine, I give in. I'll play the games. But I ain't playing all 5. Kiss me arse.
- Fair enough. I didn't. I skipped to Cold Steel 1.
If you really want to devote yourself to the series and get the best out of it, I'd watch this recap of the first game.

From there..........I won't lie. It turns into a time sink. There is a youtuber who goes over every game in pretty good detail, skips all battles, and she has a good grasp of what to skip and what not to skip. If you watch these, it is in my opinion you will have a VERY solid grasp on the world of Trails without playing the games. But like I said, it is a very big time sink.

Ok, but you want to play the game now? Not have to read a book report first?

Ok, watch that first youtube video about recapping the first game. You'll get a decent grasp of the world and how it works. From there, start cold steel 1. Don't worry about anything else. When you have the time, slowly plink away through the videos I linked above, while playing Cold Steel 1.

8. So where can I play these games?
- If you have a PC, then you are 90% golden. Every game can be played on there (almost. Cold Steel 3 isn't on PC yet I don't think. Haven't played it yet.)
I played Cold Steel 1 and 2 on PS4 and had a great time.
If you have Playstation NOW, I believe the PS3 version of CS1 and 2 are on there, albeit Cloud versions. Which honestly, is not a big deal......Like I said, its not an action game in the slightest. Everything is turn based. So some lag really shouldn't affect your enjoyment.
Plus PS NOW has a 7 day trial. Sign up and try the PS3 version out. It has less VO, and is missing some Quality of life features, but if you like the game, you could always just start over on PS4.

Double check with your list, but its on the Canadian version for me atleast.

Anyways, thats about it I think. My main motivation for this thread was to hopefully have at least ONE person check out the game. Then my mission is accomplished, because despite all its faults, I honestly think these were fantastic games and I am eagerly excited to continue with the series.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
They are really incredible games. I'm a big falcom fan but never really came around to finish CS1 because the slowburn got me by the time I arrived in Legram when I played it on PS3. I'm playing it again on PS4 and managed to push through and on Chapter 6 now and man, the story sure does pick up. Kinda hyped to see where it all leads to.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
They are really incredible games. I'm a big falcom fan but never really came around to finish CS1 because the slowburn got me by the time I arrived in Legram when I played it on PS3. I'm playing it again on PS4 and managed to push through and on Chapter 6 now and man, the story sure does pick up. Kinda hyped to see where it all leads to.

Yeah, I think the slow burn will unfortunately get a lot of people. But yeah, it is definitely meant to introduce the world and characters to you, slowly building everything up. I think its because its not a 1 off game like Tales of Vesperia or a Final Fantasy game. These trails games have the luxury of taking their time, letting you get attached to your companions and learning more about them.

Enjoy the game. I loved both, and CS2 for sure picks up the pace a lot quicker. So just keep going.

well now you have to play 3 right?

You don't understand. I am chomping at the bit to start CS3 immediately. Like, I want to right now..........desperately.

But Death Stranding is coming out in like a week, and Battlefield V has new maps and stuff. It would be a disservice for my to start CS3 and have to start juggling everything. As much as it pains me, I am going to wait till after DS. There really is nothing else in the year for me anyways after that. So its all good.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to second not needing to play the other 5 before CS1. CS1 takes place in a new country, with a new cast of characters, with a new central conflict. You will get some nice moments seeing some recurring characters in supporting roles, but that works both ways in playing the earlier game later and seeing a character you know from CS.

The series is one of my favorites, but I couldn't stomach FC until after the PC version got the speed settings and I was invested in the setting after enjoying CS1 and 2.

Waiting 4 or 5 years, or longer, for official translations of Crossbell... is not advised.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the first Trails In The Sky game a few years ago on PSP but thought it was kinda mediocre, played about 10 hours of the second and it was more of the same so stopped.

Fast forward to last week and in my post DQ11 malaise I booted up Trails of Cold Steel purely out of curiosity.
And I have been completely hooked since!
I love everything about it, the characters, the battle system, the pacing, the world building, just everything.
I mean in some ways it feels like a Hi Def PS2 game, but in the best possible way, I love PS2 JRPGs (speaking of which, was the development influenced by Persona 4?)

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to second not needing to play the other 5 before CS1. CS1 takes place in a new country, with a new cast of characters, with a new central conflict. You will get some nice moments seeing some recurring characters in supporting roles, but that works both ways in playing the earlier game later and seeing a character you know from CS.

The series is one of my favorites, but I couldn't stomach FC until after the PC version got the speed settings and I was invested in the setting after enjoying CS1 and 2.

Waiting 4 or 5 years, or longer, for official translations of Crossbell... is not advised.

Yeah, apparently there are English translations for both games out there that are decent or so I've heard.

Then there is another group that is doing apparently a much much better job, but thats only the first crossbell game. Who knows when they'll even start the second, nevermind finish it. It could be legit years.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a solid, above average RPG and a good enough entry into the Trails series.

I'll always advocate starting from the beginning with Sky though. For one because the Sky games are great (better than CS in nearly every regard IMO, but that's subjective), but also because the Trail's series best and most defining aspect is the worldbuilding. If someone doesn't care about that it doesn't really matter where they start. SC, Ao, CS3, whatever. If someone does care, it's just a much better experience to start from the beginning and see everything build up.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the first Trails In The Sky game a few years ago on PSP but thought it was kinda mediocre, played about 10 hours of the second and it was more of the same so stopped.

Fast forward to last week and in my post DQ11 malaise I booted up Trails of Cold Steel purely out of curiosity.
And I have been completely hooked since!
I love everything about it, the characters, the battle system, the pacing, the world building, just everything.
I mean in some ways it feels like a Hi Def PS2 game, but in the best possible way, I love PS2 JRPGs (speaking of which, was the development influenced by Persona 4?)

Same here, sort of. I tried to play the PSP version of FC after seeing it praised on GAF... and fucking hated it. Just absolutely hated it until cheat engine and the official update of the PC version made it the speed of a normal RPG. Cold Steel totally had within the first two hours, though.

CS3 goes above and beyond in speed and QOL options.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

I'll always advocate starting from the beginning with Sky though. For one because the Sky games are great (better than CS in nearly every regard IMO, but that's subjective), but also because the Trail's series best and most defining aspect is the worldbuilding. If someone doesn't care about that it doesn't really matter where they start. SC, Ao, CS3, whatever. If someone does care, it's just a much better experience to start from the beginning and see everything build up.

I know this is gonna sound stupid because I loved Cold Steel so much, but the graphics of Sky REALLY turned me off. I played about 10 hours and I had enough. I couldn't take the graphics, and I know how that sounds. But the little chibi people. And this weird texture everyone is composed of. Like dipped in plastic. And their stubby little arms and legs and their massive eyes with no nose or mouth. And the constant isometric view. And everything has very low frames of animation sometimes.

I just didn't feel invested in that game. If I grew up with it, it probably would have been a different story. But to me, it was very off putting.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it has aspects of FE:3H and Persona that I like with getting to know characters, how does it compare that way?

While very long, how hard are the games? Any huge difficulty spikes?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Kiseki games are some of the best JRPG out there, the ugly presentation of Cold Steel games was what made me ignore them on release, but when I played the first one on PC I couldn't stop and after beating it I played (and loved) the Sora trilogy. CS II is maybe the weakest entry so far, and all I've heard about CS III makes be feel really hyped about it, but Crossbell comes first obviously.

After replaying Sen 1 on the Ps4 earlier this year, I'd say that even if the game is a great entry point, having Sora knowledge makes some events feel more relevant, even some of the NPC conversation (Toval I'm looking at you) feels far more interesting if you know the lore. At the end, the main reason to play the games is the lore and worldbuilding.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it has aspects of FE:3H and Persona that I like with getting to know characters, how does it compare that way?

There are very slight elements of those games, but not enough to remotely be a draw. Super minor comparisons other than the time spread of the stories. No real calendar management.

Difficulty is all over the place. FC and SC should be played on normal. Both are fairly easy, but Hard mode fucking sucks in SC.

Cold Steel 1 can safely be done on Hard, but the final fight is a big spike that can be a big problem, which makes me not recommend Nightmare. CS2 is totally fine on Nightmare. CS3 Nightmare is a bit harder than CS2, but I don't think there are giant spikes, and the difficulty there can be turned down if needed.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It has a lore and world that is more fleshed out compared to FE:3H, ant it's certainly better integrated into the main plot. The writing is far far better than in Persona (there are anime tropes everywhere though) and all the characters have something interesting to offer related to the world and the main story.
In hard or normal the games are not hard at all (SC is maybe the big exception as it the hardest on some settings), there are some hard bosses like in any JRPG but nothing annoying IIRC.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Do you like your face melted off to Dual Leads of Power?

Mysterious Techno of Wonderment suit you better?

Drop-dead epicness?

JDK's got ya covered.

Yup. The writing doesnt have occasional dips and Estelle is a force of nature that embarrasses so many JRPG protags.

Yeah, I think the slow burn will unfortunately get a lot of people. But yeah, it is definitely meant to introduce the world and characters to you, slowly building everything up. I think its because its not a 1 off game like Tales of Vesperia or a Final Fantasy game. These trails games have the luxury of taking their time, letting you get attached to your companions and learning more about them.

Enjoy the game. I loved both, and CS2 for sure picks up the pace a lot quicker. So just keep going.

You don't understand. I am chomping at the bit to start CS3 immediately. Like, I want to right now..........desperately.

But Death Stranding is coming out in like a week, and Battlefield V has new maps and stuff. It would be a disservice for my to start CS3 and have to start juggling everything. As much as it pains me, I am going to wait till after DS. There really is nothing else in the year for me anyways after that. So its all good.

The Trails Thirst demands NO LESS.

45M0A2z.jpg

Aug 28, 2019
For those who have played both, what is similar and different between Steel and Sky? I'm nearing the end of Sky SC and really enjoyed both it and FC, but I hear a lot of mixed things about Steel.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

I played both games on hard.

In CS1, it starts off pretty tough because you are still learning the game, you have very little in terms of skill, etc etc. I won't lie, some boss battles, I legit wondered if I would be able to even beat them and would just have to go back and grind. But I powered through.

CS2 was MUCH easier. Some boss battles still were tough, but you are much much more well equipped, plus you are familiar with the combat.

I would say for you, CS1 on Normal, CS2 on hard?

If you buy the games on PS4, they come with item pack DLC.

These items have the BEST HEALING IN THE GAME.

These items are so good that I actually brute forced my way through the last bosses purely on these items, and they actually do give you a good amount of them. So if you save them for near the end, you can brute force your way through a boss giving you trouble.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played both, what is similar and different between Steel and Sky? I'm nearing the end of Sky SC and really enjoyed both it and FC, but I hear a lot of mixed things about Steel.
Same staggering attention to detail in respect to lore and worldbuilding, much better combat and I'd say music compared to the Sky trilogy. However, anime cliches come up a bit more at times (in all fairness, this arguably started rearing its head with the Crossbell duology), less of the other party members interacting with each other as opposed to them and the lead via optional bonding events (the massive main cast not helping in respect to character focus), and an often maligned lead who could be said to have had too many desirable qualities condensed into one character.

Oct 27, 2017
I played both games on hard.

In CS1, it starts off pretty tough because you are still learning the game, you have very little in terms of skill, etc etc. I won't lie, some boss battles, I legit wondered if I would be able to even beat them and would just have to go back and grind. But I powered through.

CS2 was MUCH easier. Some boss battles still were tough, but you are much much more well equipped, plus you are familiar with the combat.

I would say for you, CS1 on Normal, CS2 on hard?

If you buy the games on PS4, they come with item pack DLC.

These items have the BEST HEALING IN THE GAME.

These items are so good that I actually brute forced my way through the last bosses purely on these items, and they actually do give you a good amount of them. So if you save them for near the end, you can brute force your way through a boss giving you trouble.
Thanks for the responses everyone! I will pick this up in the future

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I started CS1 on early October, went straight to CS2 after and now I'm past the midway of CS3. October has been productive.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about doing an LTTP for CS1 so thanks for doing such a nice op!

I loved TiTSky but held off on CS until last week. Picked up the PS4 version. I love it so far. The graphics aren't the greatest and it's anime as hell but it has that Falcom charm I really like. Much like Sky, these Erebonians are a chatty bunch. But I enjoy the world building and character development. Also enjoying all the small references to Sky. Combat system is top notch and reminds me how wrong the folks who think turn based combat is outdated or a relic of the 90's really are. Ain't nothing like a carefully planned strategy of arts, turn delays, link attacks etc. very satisfying.

I am 10 hours in and just hit chapter 2 so I have a long way to go. Planning to do the whole series, so hopefully we get a switch port of CS3 by the time I get up to it so I can play in bed. Which leads me to my favorite thing about this game: how relaxing it is.

it's been great popping this on before bed. So soothing it legit puts me to sleep but in a good way.

really glad I finally decided to jump into the cold steel arc, and looking forward to seeing the refinements each sequel holds.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I have finished eight JRPGs in my life, and five of them are Trails games. It's the only JRPG series besides Persona that I honestly love.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I started with Cold Steel 1 & 2, but I definitely want to wait for Crossbell before I start CS3. In the meantime I am slowly working on the original Trails in the Sky games. But this 100% my style of RPG & I am happy to sing it's praises regardless of how outrageously anime & tropey it is.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

The whole structure, battle system, etc is similar. The whole thing will feel very familiar. But I think Sky executes everything on a higher level. Better pacing (CS1 and 2 combined only have a bit more "meat" than Sky FC, but take three times as long to complete), more balanced battles (CS combat has so much broken stuff), and a more interesting quartz system (CS is basically just FF7 materia, the elemental values are gone and lines mean a lot less).

CS does have some useful quality of life improvements, battles are quicker, and I'd give the music a slight edge. Visuals... I prefer Sky but see why most people probably don't. CS animations are sorely lacking and the passive "turn-based cutscenes" work way better with sprites than 3D models.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Man, in a similar boat here. I JUST finished Cold Steel 2 the day before CS3 came out. Then I played it for about a day before going into The Outer Worlds, which I just finished last night.

I want to dig into 3, but yeah, Death Stranding is out soon and then Jedi Fallen Order on the 15th.

But! Then there's a huge gaps until DBZ Kakarot in January (my first Dragon Ball game) and FF7R in March. Definitely going to dig deep into CS3 during that, probably right after JFO.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I started with Cold Steel 1 & 2, but I definitely want to wait for Crossbell before I start CS3. In the meantime I am slowly working on the original Trails in the Sky games. But this 100% my style of RPG & I am happy to sing it's praises regardless of how outrageously anime & tropey it is.

Yeah, I have no idea how this series flew under my radar. I love JRPG's. For some reason, I just completely glossed over these. But I am glad I found them.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
CS1-2 are some of my favorite games ever in one of my favorite series ever. Glad to see you enjoyed them as well OP.

JDK truly popped off with CS1-2's OSTs That era of Falcom music between CS1-2 and Tokyo Xanadu is some of the best music Falcom's ever done.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who really dislikes persona 3 (haven't played 4/5) and hates the school/academy setting in anime. Would it bother me in this series or does it play a much smaller role?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Same staggering attention to detail in respect to lore and worldbuilding, much better combat and I'd say music compared to the Sky trilogy. However, anime cliches come up a bit more at times (in all fairness, this arguably started rearing its head with the Crossbell duology), less of the other party members interacting with each other as opposed to them and the lead via optional bonding events (the massive main cast not helping in respect to character focus), and an often maligned lead who could be said to have had too many desirable qualities condensed into one character.
Basically this. Everything I know about Zero and Ao says it combines the best of both worlds, though (I played half of Zero and it felt like a much, MUCH more refined Sky to me).

But... Cold Steel will always have the best music, I think.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really dislikes persona 3 (haven't played 4/5) and hates the school/academy setting in anime. Would it bother me in this series or does it play a much smaller role?

I'm in the same boat as far as not liking school settings, it was a disappointing shift. I'd say it's relatively inoffensive for the most part though. That part of the game generally consists of

- Spending bonding points to raise your bond with another party member.
- Sidequests at the school and in town, usually a few per chapter.
- Investigating the old schoolhouse, which is just a fairly generic dungeon you make steady progress through as the game goes on.

That probably makes up around a quarter of the game. The rest is field studies, which take place away from the school and are where the bulk of the story progresses with more towns, fields, and dungeons.

Cold Steel 2 drops the school setting entirely for story reasons, but obviously it returns in 3.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the same boat as far as not liking school settings, it was a disappointing shift. I'd say it's relatively inoffensive for the most part though. That part of the game generally consists of

- Spending bonding points to raise your bond with another party member.
- Sidequests at the school and in town, usually a few per chapter.
- Investigating the old schoolhouse, which is just a fairly generic dungeon you make steady progress through as the game goes on.

That probably makes up around a quarter of the game. The rest is field studies, which take place away from the school and are where the bulk of the story progresses with more towns, fields, and dungeons.

Cold Steel 2 drops the school setting entirely for story reasons, but obviously it returns in 3.
Alright thanks for the reply. Should really just give it a go. Been wanting to play this series for quite a long time. But seeing the amount of time you need to complete a single entry is intimidating.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Alright thanks for the reply. Should really just give it a go. Been wanting to play this series for quite a long time. But seeing the amount of time you need to complete a single entry is intimidating.

Yeah, these are not short games.

I live jrpg games, but I really haven't played any in a long time. Probably a few years.

So when I started this one, my brain just kinda devoured it.

But like I said, not short games.

This series is unique in a way though. I can't think of any jrpg series that continues from game to game like this. Other games are self contained. You beat it and that's it. You're done.
If that's more your style, than this is probably not for you.

But if you are intrigued by a series that has a long lineage, and where each games state of the world builds off the previous one, then yeah, check this one out.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
What versions of Trails in the Sky would you recommend playing on Vita, the originals or the Evo games with translation patches? And no, I'm not considering playing them on other platforms.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Basically this. Everything I know about Zero and Ao says it combines the best of both worlds, though (I played half of Zero and it felt like a much, MUCH more refined Sky to me).

But... Cold Steel will always have the best music, I think.
For me, I can't really choose between the Crossbell games and Cold Steel (namely the first two) for best music overall.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What versions of Trails in the Sky would you recommend playing on Vita, the originals or the Evo games with translation patches? And no, I'm not considering playing them on other platforms.
PC is the only one that really stands out as definitive.

PSP is okay but the translation is very outdated, lot of terms and such have been changed and won't match up with later games. Evo has Japanese voice acting, but much worse (subjective I suppose) portraits and music. Seriously some of the music is absolutely awful. They also made some gameplay changes that don't really fit the original, without adjusting anything to accommodate. Like field attacks and some new turn bonuses.

I'd say it's basically either or, both have their cons.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is "relatively" short compared to the rest of the series if you feel intimidated by the modern entries. It's well paced and is about 40 hours long. It's sequel, Second Chapter, is a behemoth in length though. Arguably the longest game in the series before CS3 dropped.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought CS3.

I am a weak man.

Just fucking weak. I couldn't even last a god damned day.

Now I have to juggle death stranding and this. Ughhhh.

I couldn't help myself. I just kept thinking and thinking about it. Just taunting me.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Think Im going to start with the very first game soonish. Hate my LoL addiction, haven't completed a JRPG in quite a while. Hope I will be able to complete this one. Good to know that first one is relatively short.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the PSP games. I didn't like Trials in the Sky. I didn't buy Cold Steel yet, but I think it won't change much?
I will give Trials in the Sky another (thirds) chance soon on PC though. Maybe I can push trough the more interesting parts and then get hooked.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the PSP games. I didn't like Trials in the Sky. I didn't buy Cold Steel yet, but I think it won't change much?
I will give Trials in the Sky another (thirds) chance soon on PC though. Maybe I can push trough the more interesting parts and then get hooked.

Sky is a significantly better game on PC. Better TL/editing, better graphics support, WAY better load times, and most of all turbo mode in combat/field makes a massive difference. As someone who's played both FC and SC on PSP when they first dropped (and FC multiple times on PSP), it's hard to ever recommend the PSP version of Sky unless you're that against playing on a PC.

I also have multiple friends who bounced off of Sky and played CS1-2 first and retroactively ended up enjoying Sky a lot more after going back now that they had a feel for the tone and pacing of a typical Trails game. For some people, Cold Steel 1 is a much more enjoyable entry point. Don't be scared to jump forward and give that a try if you're still not hot on Sky.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The Legend of Heroes games are my absolute favorite JRPG series. So much content there to enjoy. The Erobonia arc (aka Cold Steel) has been pretty solid so far. 20 hours into CS3 and still on Chapter 1. I've pretty much set all other games aside until I finish, which may not be until the end of the year lol.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Trails games are suuuuuper slow burns, which means a lot of people bounce off of them easily, and that's totally valid. But as somebody who considers JRPGs her favorite genre, I won't hesitate at all to say that this is my absolute favorite JRPG series. There's nothing else like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Trails games remind me of how wrestling is when it's done right. Has a bunch of shit building up. Some things in the background, some front and center. Until eventually there's a huge pay off. If you pay attention to every little thing in every game you realize that some things have been hinted at since the Sky series.