• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I always had a "Well, I already have Wipeout so why would I get this?" mentality with Redout. It just seemed like the Yooka-Laylee of the gravity racers, an uninspired game that completely ignores any advancement the genre has had over the years. I'm glad to tell you that's not the case at all.

Redout is like a mix of F-Zero and pre-Pure Wipeout, with a bunch of elements that make it unique. The track design reminds me of F-Zero GX, but it plays like a much faster Wipeout (it has that floaty feeling -in a good sense- basically), with the added element of having to constantly adjust your pitch. In Wipeout that's not really that important unless you're at a skill level where getting every barrel roll you can is mandatory, but here if you don't do it when it's necessary you will lose health. Also, unlike Wipeout, you only have one brake (which you'll need to use too), but you can strafe left and right with the right stick.

I know this sounds a bit too complicated, but you get used to it fairly quickly; especially since all the tracks from the first zone are very easy to master which gives you plenty of time to learn.

I was also surprised by it's campaign mode, because again I was expecting Wipeout but there's so much more to it. You start with a ship from any of the manufacturers (obviously, with different stats for each one), but you'll slowly get more money by completing events to either upgrade your ship, get a new one from a higher class or another manufacturer, or but active and passive abilities like a super boost or enhanced grip. You also get contracts, which reward you with something (usually money or an ability) if you can pass whatever challenge they offer you. All of this was a nice chance of pace from the Wipeout campaigns, which were pretty much a collection of events without much progression going on.

There's obviously some other game modes besides racing in Redout, you have races, pure races (no abilities), time attacks, eliminators (last one after a lap gets eliminated until only one racer remains), and a bunch of other ones.

Overall, I'm really glad I gave it a chance, and if you skipped it because it looked like poor man's Wipeout, PLEASE try it. I believe there's a demo on Steam and it's $10 on the PS Store right now.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think off the top of my head we've got

Wipeout Omega Collection (duh)
Redout
Formula Fusion
Radial-G
BallisticNG

Considering how dead the genre's been for years, I'd say that's actually a pretty decent crop of games. So far I've only played Wipeout and Formula Fusion, and I played BallisticNG a long time ago back when it was still free but haven't returned recently to see what's changed.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I think off the top of my head we've got

Wipeout Omega Collection (duh)
Redout
Formula Fusion
Radial-G
BallisticNG

Considering how dead the genre's been for years, I'd say that's actually a pretty decent crop of games. So far I've only played Wipeout and Formula Fusion, and I played BallisticNG a long time ago back when it was still free but haven't returned recently to see what's changed.
you forgot FAST Rmx which is my personal favorite. and if we bend the rules a little, Grip

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I'm a WipEout diehard but despite the few hours I spent with the game, I bounced off it and haven't really gone back since. I think there was a pretty steep difficulty curve at some point that I just found really trying to overcome. I don't think it's a bad game and should go back to it though. What I did play was pretty fun and impressive.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm a WipEout diehard but despite the few hours I spent with the game, I bounced off it and haven't really gone back since. I think there was a pretty steep difficulty curve at some point that I just found really trying to overcome. I don't think it's a bad game and should go back to it though. What I did play was pretty fun and impressive.
Yuuuup, the campaign has a terrible difficulty curve. You hit a wall 5 or 10 hours in where you have to go back and grind past events to have money for upgrades so you can have even a prayer of proceeding with higher rank events and it all just feels really clunky to me. I would have greatly preferred a more traditional grand prix mode like Fzero GX had.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want a futuristic racer with the tight grippy feel of F-Zero. Tired of the floaty ones

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I did a few races.. handling and turning felt really off to me. Nothing beats Wipeout physics and feel for me.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Wipeout clone? They lied about cloning the resolution of the Wipeout remaster and got shitty when Digital Foundry told everyone.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
A Wipeout clone? They lied about cloning the resolution of the Wipeout remaster and got shitty when Digital Foundry told everyone.
No, you see, the game at 3 instances runs at more than 1080p. They clearly weren't lying at all with their 4k 60FPS advertising.

Still, I like the game and I have a base PS4 so it doesn't really affect me :p

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Was just perusing the PSN and saw this was only $10. I have been holding off for the Switch version but the delay has me very worried about how it will ultimately perform. I feel it will be a great game for handheld mode on the Switch, but yeah, just not very confident thanks to the delay. I also know it will be full price when it launches on it. And $10 seems like a great deal for this game.

With that said the steep curve does have me a tad worry as well. I also did some Googling before I posted here and it is mentioned numerous times. While I loved the hell out of Wipeout, I was never what one would label and expert at playing it. I was decent I would say.
Decisions. Decisions. Was hoping this thread would be full of ringing endorsements truth be told. It is not though.

Fuck it, may decide to just pass since RE2 comes out on Friday and have it pre-ordered. Shame though as $10 really seems like a deal.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just started this recently on PC, after getting the game plus all dlc for $15. It looks amazing in ultrawide. It's too early for me to say how it compares to Wipeout, but so far it feels like great value for the price.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just seemed like the Yooka-Laylee of the gravity racers, an uninspired game that completely ignores any advancement the genre has had over the years.

I never got this argument. Yooka-Laylee delivered exactly what was promised. Seems like the people making that argument wanted the game to be like their nostalgic memories of an N64 collectathon as seen through rose-tinted glasses rather than the real deal. The game is great.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I've tried it like, twice in person at fairs here in Italy (and they're Italians, and they've put the controller in my hands each time I was near their booth) and I've always had to hide the fact that the handling was terrible and the cars were annoying to drive. As a big fan of Wipeout and F-Zero, I'm just not feeling it. Vastly prefer Fast RMX. And the team just isn't very cool either considering how they acted like the Italians they are.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I want a futuristic racer with the tight grippy feel of F-Zero. Tired of the floaty ones
Isn't Fast RMX just F-Zero in all but name (and skin). It's just F-Zero With Ikaruga color switching.

I've tried it like, twice in person at fairs here in Italy (and they're Italians, and they've put the controller in my hands each time I was near their booth) and I've always had to hide the fact that the handling was terrible and the cars were annoying to drive. As a big fan of Wipeout and F-Zero, I'm just not feeling it. Vastly prefer Fast RMX. And the team just isn't very cool either considering how they acted like the Italians they are.

Mario am sad.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got this argument. Yooka-Laylee delivered exactly what was promised. Seems like the people making that argument wanted the game to be like their nostalgic memories of an N64 collectathon as seen through rose-tinted glasses rather than the real deal. The game is great.
I love Yooka Laylee but it didn't deliver on Banjo. The worlds were too big, not creative enough, and there were a few new systems in there, some of which worked, some of which didn't, but all of which did make the game quite different from Banjo.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's decent. Better than the frankly bad RMX. But I found the track design quite lacking in cohesion/flow once you got to the harder ones and it all became a bit of a crapshoot. Among the non-wipeouts, Ballistic NG is by far the king.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Its a nice game for a few bucks but i wouldnt compare it to the masterpiece that fzero gx is.

I mean...Nothing can compare to Fzero GX especially in terms of speed......that game travels at a billion miles per second. I don't have a gamecube so i've never play the GX version but i played the AX version in arcades while i was in japan and holy moly....it requires some super human reflex to play...

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's really not, and none of them are. All these F-Zero and Wipeout "clones/successors" are never anything like them other than "futuristic racer." People gotta stop throwing this around just cause a racing game does not have wheels and licensed cars.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
How's the AI? I snagged FAST Racing League before the Wii shop closed and the AI racers tend to get out ahead of you and...disappear over the horizon no matter what you do.