• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
NOTE, THE MONTAGE IN THE VIDEO HAS SPOILERS. DON'T WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE VN YET.

I just finished reading Umineko, and I don't know where to begin. I can't think up any other story I've read that's quite the same.

The story starts off quite slow, and I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone that's yet to read it... so I suppose I'll stay as vague as possible, leaving some final thoughts in this spoiler tag;

We never do learn the truth, even at the end. Everything remains shrouded in that illusion - but even if the truth was never found, we come to understand the story embodying the tragedy that had occurred. Ange could never accept and move on from her families deaths. How much of the tale was actually fantasy? How much was just the "magic" Ange finds inside herself? In the end, it doesn't matter. No matter what she may or may not know, no matter what society chooses to accept about the Rokkenjima Explosion - it's Ange's right to believe that her family never truly left her, that they were always there - watching over her from afar.

One thing that especially struck hard during Ep 8 was when I realized that "Ushiromiya" can actually be interpreted differently from how the original Kanji is written. 後ろ 見 家 is another possible way of writing out "Ushiromiya"... and can literally translate to "the family that watches over you". At first, I wasn't sure if that was intentional, but the more I read - the more it felt that my interpretation wasn't just a coincidence.

I don't think I've read such a human tale, ironically considering just how fantastical some of the scenes that are portrayed really are. I hated most of the family's guts when I had finished Episode 4, though by the end of the story I understood what made them tick... and even if what was shown might've been an illusion, when the dead are really gone the most you can hope for is that the family of the departed can look back fondly on those that left them behind.

I won't say that the story is for everyone. For one thing, it's long. 100+ hours long. The word count for both halves combined is 3x the size of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, the official release of Umineko, while the translation is fantastic, lacks some features that some might consider irreplacable. There's a patch that adds in the voices from the PS3 version - fantastic voice-acting that really elevates all of the scenes - though it is an unofficial patch with questionable legality, so I can't recommend you download it or point you to where you can find it.

Similarly, the "default" portraits, that being the new sprites ripped from a Pachinko title, are rather odd. The original portraits, while they have plenty of charm are rather amateur. They grew on me, and especially the facial expressions are a step above of the other options... but I'd still concede that the portraits for, again, the PS3 version are the best middle ground. They maintain most of the feel of the original portraits while smoothing over the rough edges. The faces aren't quite as expressive as the original portraits, but most of the time they stack up quite well - and some added detail for some characters definitely help elevate the VN in their own way. Again, though, while there is a patch for the PS3 portraits + backgrounds, it's unofficial and in a legal gray-area.

Regardless of everything else, Umineko is a VN that I won't forget. Even if I say it's not for everyone, I'd still urge anyone that thinks they can handle the commitment to give it a shot. If you can stick with it until the end, and accept what the VN has to tell you, you'll definitely be glad you did. I was.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Regardless of everything else, Umineko is a VN that I won't forget. Even if I say it's not for everyone, I'd still urge anyone that thinks they can handle the commitment to give it a shot. If you can stick with it until the end, and accept what the VN has to tell you, you'll definitely be glad you did. I was.

It is the best visual novel I've ever read, and a work that I always think about. no not only VN, I actually don't think I've ever read a novel as good and thought provoking or as intelligent as Umineko
everything about it was unforgettable to me.

the first episode was a mix of Agatha's (Hercule Poirot's Christmas) and (And Then There Where None), but with the Japanese style of writing with strong and slow world building and more philosophical, human drama. after the first episode it became more original and started to show its true colors.

the cast was fantastic. the adults always thought of themselves and their own interests as you would expect from them , the kids were well mannered like what you'd expect from a prestigious family, and the servants were as important to the story as anyone else.

the music remains the best I've encountered in any VN. if I'm not mistaken, there is more than 100+ tracks, and there was a lot of piano! it captured the atmosphere perfectly.

a lot of people didn't understand it very well too. to truly appreciate and understand Umineko, you have to always think between the lines. don't take anything the story tells you for granted, doubt everything, and think about the true meaning of every line.

this is one track that I can't ever forget:

R07 is truly a genius and a great writer. he gave Umineko his all, it will always be his masterpiece, and it won't ever be repeated again.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It is the best visual novel I've ever read, and a work that I always think about. no not only VN, I actually don't think I've ever read a novel as good and thought provoking or as intelligent as Umineko
everything about it was unforgettable to me.

the first episode was a mix of Agatha's (Hercule Poirot's Christmas) and (And Then There Where None), but with the Japanese style of writing with strong and slow world building and more philosophical, human drama. after the first episode it became more original and started to show its true colors.

the cast was fantastic. the adults always thought of themselves and their own interests as you would expect from them , the kids were well mannered like what you'd expect from a prestigious family, and the servants were as important to the story as anyone else.

the music remains the best I've encountered in any VN. if I'm not mistaken, there is more than 100+ tracks, and there was a lot of piano! it captured the atmosphere perfectly.

a lot of people didn't understand it very well too. to truly appreciate and understand Umineko, you have to always think between the lines. don't take anything the story tells you for granted, doubt everything, and think about the true meaning of every line.

this is one track that I can't ever forget:

R07 is truly a genius and a great writer. he gave Umineko his all, it will always be his masterpiece, and it won't ever be repeated again.

While some of the themes are certainly thrust in your face, I was thoroughly surprised just how human the characters felt. Even before the overall plot started becoming obvious, the story hooked me by that alone. I'm definitely looking forward to his new works!

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I have question.
I recently bought the steam version of the game and I found out there is a mod that adds voices and has some additional visual improvements.
Do you guys recommend this mod is it a waste of time?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought the steam version of the game and I found out there is a mod that adds voices and has some additional visual improvements.
Yeah, it's worth it. I personally really like the style of the PS3 portraits, even if I can appreciate the charm of the original ones. Plus the VO is good.

Comparison:

Ps3+version+is+pretty+good+especially+in+comparison+to+the+_ee6eda16b79fb12a925a9f640508b26c.jpg

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

1000% for the voice acting alone. It's a significantly better game alone for it, not to mention all the other additions that come with the mod like PS3 sprites, text box changes, adv settings, etc.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks guys, patch it is then!
Btw one more question, how many hours is each arc(Question and Answer)?

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, patch it is then!
Btw one more question, how many hours is each arc(Question and Answer)?

Steam had me at about 120 hours to finish the whole thing but i did leave it idling occasionally. I'd definitely say be prepared to spend over 100 hours on both arcs overall. Umineko is a massive, but consistently excellent, story.