• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
After initially playing through a chunk of Uncharted 4 two years ago before dropping it (I got as far as Scotland), I figured "Hey, it's 2019, let's start the year off by going back and finally closing out the Nathan Drake saga". I'd been a pretty big Uncharted fan in my teenage years, so this had been a long time coming, and I was kinda excited to return and say goodbye to the characters I'd grown fond of all those years back.

What followed was, in my eyes, one of the most subpar gaming experiences I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I'm not quite sure where to begin, but for a game that won consensus GOTY in 2016, I expected a lot more. This was, to me, the weakest entry in the Uncharted saga (of the mainline titles, I haven't yet played Golden Abyss or The Lost Legacy). I guess I'll just go ahead with some bullet point critique, as there's a lot to go over.
  • To start off with, let's acknowledge the elephant in the room that I reckon most, deep down, feel is fairly stupid: the sudden emergence of Sam Drake, the "hey its me ur brother" moment of discovery where it's revealed that our hero had a secret older sibling who was merely in prison for every other adventure he's had! I'm sorry, but what?! After they went so far in the last game as to paint Drake as a lone orphan boy, pulled off the streets by Victor Sullivan, with no known relatives (Marlowe being aware of who he really is), they invoke one of the lamest tropes possible... ? It felt like they didn't know where to go with Nate and friends anymore, so they manufactured some drama in the cheapest way, forming the entire game's premise around a hardly believable brother dynamic. Yup, apparently you don't lose your shit when you discover your brother didn't actually die in prison 15 years ago, you just sorta go "Wow, you're back!", tell him a couple stories, then fly out to pull heists and search for treasure immediately after. It feels completely inorganic and unearned. In a game with such leisurely pacing, I've gotta wonder why they didn't do more to establish the fact that a close, thought dead relative re-entering your life out of the blue is something you wouldn't just accept and process within a day.
  • Ignoring the above and taking Sam as his own character, he's not particularly great. I don't feel as though he did much to reveal new sides of Nathan we hadn't seen before. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a retread of the last game's father and son dynamic between Nate and Sully, a relationship far more compelling than this one. Nate and Elena, thankfully, got some good scenes together, Sully mostly got shafted, Charlie Cutter only gets a mention at the start (despite leaving the fight prematurely in the last game), and Chloe may as well have never existed, despite being a major player in Uncharted 2 and 3. At least she gets her own spinoff, which I'm looking forward to playing.
  • It's the worst paced Uncharted game, with potentially the worst game design yet. Most of the gameplay consists of either holding forward to walk, or the standard, no-fail climbing segments that were all too prevalent this time around. Every now and then, the game feels like it's going to open up and let you get creative, encourage player agency, or have any kind of emergent gameplay, but it's all a farce. They give you a boat to explore some islands, but none of them have anything of note to them. They give you a jeep to drive around in, but it's just a graphical showcase for you to gawk at, not an opportunity for good gameplay (unless you enjoy driving up a muddy hill 5 times in a row). What's the point of these open-ended levels, then? Chasing trends for the sake of it? The game only suffered from it, in my view.
  • They decided to spoil the most impressive, most exciting, coolest setpiece in the entire game at E3. The whole thing. It reminds me of those movie trailers that shove every good joke in the movie in the two minute trailer. The game peaks here, during the Madagascar truck segment, and never reaches that high again. When I think of Uncharted 3, and how the game suffered due to being written around setpieces instead of the other way around, I begin to think maybe that wasn't so bad compared to this.
  • The villains are pretty terrible. As we all know, towards the end of the game, it is revealed that Sam was spinning a lie the entire time, that he didn't break out of prison with the help of a drug lord, but rather, Rafe himself bailed him out. I didn't like this. Why? Simple: Hector Alcazar seemed a more compelling villain than Rafe Adler. To discover he actually died six months prior to the start of the game was a disappointment. I don't know that Rafe has a single memorable or iconic scene in the entire game, and that's a problem. Nadine? She's hardly worth mentioning as well, sadly. Uncharted isn't known for its strong villains, to be sure, but Flynn and Lazarevic were at least memorable and intriguing in their own right.
There's more to be said, but I feel I've written enough. To be blunt, I'm completely shocked that anyone could consider this a GOTY candidate, let alone winner. 2016 gave us Ratchet & Clank, Furi, Titanfall 2, and more. Opinions and all that, but I can't put Uncharted 4 on-par with any of those, personally. Uncharted 2 was GOTY material, this is not. Rather, it serves as an example of how a game can suffer when graphics and cinematic presentation take the forefront, and gameplay (story, even) are sent to the very bottom of the priority list.

EDIT: It's been made apparent to me that I've potentially cast some undue harshness and hyperbole on the game, in my criticism. After being informed of the game's rough development cycle, it's easier to understand just why some elements of it fell short. I'd like to make it clear I'm not trying to poo poo on Naughty Dog in general here, or being inflammatory for the sake of it. I'd just finished this yesterday, so if I got a bit carried away in my derision due to not taking a more measured look at the bigger picture, I apologize.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Reading your complaints, I agree with a lot of them OP. Especially when it comes to the pacing, which is easily the part of the game I criticize most.
I have good news though, considering your complaints are similar to mine when I played through it. You'll likely love Lost Legacy a lot. It essentially is Uncharted 2 mixed with Uncharted 4 with the best characterization in the series. Definitely don't sleep on it.

Oct 2, 2018
Its slowness in parts was my biggest issue with uncharted 4. I had more of an issue with the slowness of the young drake bits than sam drake. He grows on you too in Uncharted TLL (where he's a side character)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I still think uncharted 4 is the best uncharted game, i had a lot of fun with it. Shame you did not OP.
If your problem is pacing maybe try TLL. Its like a uncharted best hits game.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Completely agree. I've been saying it since day one - It's not a proper uncharted game. It doesn't have the same character as Uncharted 2 and 3. It's more feelings, climbing, feelings, walking, more feelings, family, more walking, blahdy blahdy blah.

It's even worse if you play Uncharted 2 and 3 and then jump straight into 4. The tonal shift just doesn't fit the series - I didn't find it fun in the way I did 2 and 3, and that's largely because of the "we so serious now" writing. The previous games revelled in being Indiana Jones knock offs with decent stories with supernatural elements, a la Indy, but now it's "no, we're too good for monsters" or whatever.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can't post their opinion on ERA without making it seem like the most hyperbolic over the top shit you've ever read.

Sucks you didn't enjoy it OP.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Libertalia is peak Uncharted and probably the best designed place ND has ever created. Fantastic experience.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You fucked up, OP. Lost Legacy is the good PS4 Uncharted.
Give Lost Legacy a shot. I greatly preferred it. U4 does have pacing issues and is too long
Reading your complaints, I agree with a lot of them OP. Especially when it comes to the pacing, which is easily the part of the game I criticize most.
I have good news though, considering your complaints are similar to mine when I played through it. You'll likely love Lost Legacy a lot. It essentially is Uncharted 2 mixed with Uncharted 4 with the best characterization in the series. Definitely don't sleep on it.
That's what I keep hearing, and I will say, I'm looking forward to The Lost Legacy a lot more. I'll be starting it soon, thanks for the nudge in that direction guys.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yea, I wasn't impressed with UC4 either. The hype was through the roof but after things settled down, people began to see the game for what it was.

TLoU2 will be much better.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to hear that op, but at least most people who don't enjoy U4 seems to like TLL so you'll have something to look forward to.

I liked Sam, thought Rafe was the best villain in the series, enjoyed the slow pacing and thought the game was absolutely fantastic.
To me Uncharted 4 is probably my favorite game in the franchise, or at least tied with 2 for completely different reasons.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
People can't post their opinion on ERA without making it seem like the most hyperbolic over the top shit you've ever read.

Sucks you didn't enjoy it OP.
Sorry man, it's probably excessive in some ways, but I genuinely just wanted a solid conclusion to Nathan Drake's arc. Uncharted meant a lot to me in my teenage years, and epilogue aside, this was a weird way to end it. I wonder what Amy Hennig's version would've been like.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed it but to me the only real downside was wayyyyy to much climbing. The game was so padded out with constant climbing sequences

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I get some of your complaints, although it's still my favorite Uncharted. Sure, Sam appearing out of nowhere was kind of nuts but the dynamic felt natural enough for me. And considering they erased most of Hennig's story in the middle of the development cycle I think they salvaged it pretty well. Also Rafe is still 100 times more interesting than Lazarevic (comic-book villain personified) or Flynn ever were. I just wish we got to learn about him some more.

The fact that you have zero positive things to say about the shooting or the good bits of storytelling (Nate & Elena ? Come on) or that you didn't like the open sections tells me this just isn't your type of game, which is fine, UC4 did shake up the formula. The amount of shit it receives here is embarrassing though.

Sorry man, it's probably excessive in some ways, but I genuinely just wanted a solid conclusion to Nathan Drake's arc. Uncharted meant a lot to me in my teenage years, and epilogue aside, this was a weird way to end it. I wonder what Amy Hennig's version would've been like.

From what little we know of it, it sounded way too dark, and the evil brother thing is even more cliché, so I'm kinda glad it never came to be.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Marlowe, a villian who specializes in manipulation and striking where it hurts the most not mentioning Drake's brother will forever be the biggest plot hole in this series. On top of Sam being nowhere to be found during the childhood segment of 3.

Mar 29, 2018
  • It's the worst paced Uncharted game, with potentially the worst game design yet. Most of the gameplay consists of either holding forward to walk, or the standard, no-fail climbing segments that were all too prevalent this time around. Every now and then, the game feels like it's going to open up and let you get creative, encourage player agency, or have any kind of emergent gameplay, but it's all a farce. They give you a boat to explore some islands, but none of them have anything of note to them. They give you a jeep to drive around in, but it's just a graphical showcase for you to gawk at, not an opportunity for good gameplay (unless you enjoy driving up a muddy hill 5 times in a row). What's the point of these open-ended levels, then? Chasing trends for the sake of it? The game only suffered from it, in my view.
Worth noting: for most of development, the game originally had a fairly challenging stamina management system built into it. Climb or hang too much and Drake would run out of stamina and fall (usually to his death).

They designed all the levels around this mechanic... then late in development had to cut it for various reasons (hard to balance, hard to tutorialise, etc).

But the development turnaround imposed on the team was so tight (2.5 years for the entire game), they didn't have time to go back and change all the level designs. So we still have tons and tons of walking and exploring and climbing seemingly without challenge because, up until near-ish release, there was challenge and the pacing worked.

Removing the stamina system, the pacing arguably doesn't work and much of the game feels like padding.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
The first half of the game is pretty boring, but it gets pretty good after that. Too much monotonous climbing and pseudo-puzzles, though. They should've just made a movie out of it if they didn't care about the gameplay.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing OP doesn't even mention. The prison escape scene was completelly invented yet we palyed through the entirety of it anyway. It's such a cheap trick to make us believe it happened. You don't play through memories that never happened, it's bullshit.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got a lot of problems, and I hate the pacing, but I did enjoy it. It played extremely well, the encounters were well designed, the moment to moment gameplay was good. I think the fundamental issue was that the pacing was shot to hell, and the game tried to emphasize mechanics it simply didn't develop all tha well. That, plus of course the story is a joke in large part.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There were things that made it the best Uncharted game (Gameplay, traversal, open areas, vehicle segments, graphics), and things that made it the worst (Inconsistent Pacing, hit or miss story)

Uncharted 2 is probably the most consistent of all the games in terms of quality and pacing.

Lost Legacy hits that sweet spot of a more concise game akin to Uncharted 2, but all the gameplay and technological innovations of Uncharted 4..

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/10/uncharted-4-amy-hennig-issue-highlighted/amp/

I think it's also worth noting that this game at the point where Hennig left and Druckmann and Straley took over was a mess. They had to essentially create an entire game in 1 year and a half. Bruce Straley ended up renting another apartment closer to the studio so that he didn't waste time in his commute to work. All those climbing sections? There was actually supposed to be a climbing mechanic where you could fail, but they scrapped it due to not having enough time which is why then it looked like there was so much climbing in the game with no real challenge. If you read/listen to Blood Sweat and Pixels you'll come out thinking to yourself how Naughty Dog even managed to come out with the game they did, considering the circumstances they had to deal with. This also led to Straley eventually leaving ND due to being completey burned out on the project

I just think the way you worded your OP is super harmful and completely demoralizing for developers. Like sure, I'm not saying you have to like Uncharted 4 but you're being over the top with your title and OP just to get more attention. But what do I know, I Platinumes the game and beat it four times, so I obviously disagree with your overall opinion of the game.

As others have said, if you want a more traditional Uncharted game then Lost Legacy is for you. It didn't suffer from any of the studio issues 4 did.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, said it a million times before but they tried to make Uncharted into TLOU, but Uncharted is NOT TLOU and Nathan Drake is not that deep a character. So, these slow "character moments" do not work when the character has as much depth as a single sheet of paper.

Also OP, don't listen to everyone saying Lost Legacy is so much better, it's not. It's better than the base game, sure. But, it's still a subpar experience with a weak story. Uncharted peaked at number 2 and has been chasing that high ever since.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
You didn't mention the terrible shooting mechanics.

Like many said, do try TLL, one of the best Uncharted games. Great pacing compared to 4.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
At least you finished the game. I couldn't even finish UC2 because of how sick and tired I was of the near endless amount of shooting in that game. If the shooting was actually fun I wouldn't have minded it. But the shooting was simply atrocious.

UC4 fixed the shooting and made me actually care about the characters involved. Easily the best game in the franchise.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, I refuse to believe that Sam exists for any reason other than that Druckmann/ND wanted Troy in Uncharted after the Last of Us.

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Legacy is the best in the series for me. It rectifies several issues in UC4.

Also OP, don't listen to everyone saying Lost Legacy is so much better, it's not. It's better than the base game, sure. But, it's still a subpar experience with a weak story. Uncharted peaked at number 2 and has been chasing that high ever since.
Nope.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
That's what I keep hearing, and I will say, I'm looking forward to The Lost Legacy a lot more. I'll be starting it soon, thanks for the nudge in that direction guys.

It's really great, I think you'll like it.

One thing that always needs to be said though, all the people praising TLL like it's the second coming and THANK GOD SO DIFFERENT FROM 4 do seem to forget that it's as good as it is because of the enhancements in gameplay and narrative introduced in UC4, as well as the fact that 4 changed the formula enough to make TLL feel like a fresh return to form.

UC4 and TLL complement each other very well, they don't need to be pitted against each other.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, I refuse to believe that Sam exists for any reason other than that Druckmann/ND wanted Troy in Uncharted after the Last of Us.
Well refuse it. Sam exists because of Amy Hennig. Her original idea was to have him be the villain in the game, because Drake had left him to die in a prison. Go look back and listen to the very first teaser for 4. The guy talking was supposed to be Sam but he bailed after they decided the part ways with Hennig.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 was a disappointing 8.5/10 for me which while not bad at all just wasn't up to par with the previous two games in my opinion. Just a borefest. Lost Legacy on the other hand was my second best game of 2017 in which I rated it a 9.5/10 and it became my best and favorite game in the franchise. Perfect in almost every way and was what Uncharted should always be - an action packed Indiana Jones type adventure with some puzzles.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It was a failed experiment that at least gave us some new mechanics for the more fun Lost Legacy.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
It's weird. I like Uncharted 4 a lot more than Lost Legacy. LL is pretty much everything you describe but with 2x as many shitty puzzles.

Plus both leads are incredibly unlikeable.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I get some of your complaints, although it's still my favorite Uncharted. Sure, Sam appearing out of nowhere was kind of nuts but the dynamic felt natural enough for me. And considering they erased most of Hennig's story in the middle of the development cycle I think they salvaged it pretty well. Also Rafe is still 100 times more interesting than Lazarevic (comic-book villain personified) or Flynn ever were. I just wish we got to learn about him some more.

The fact that you have zero positive things to say about the shooting or the good bits of storytelling (Nate & Elena ? Come on) or that you didn't like the open sections tells me this just isn't your type of game, which is fine, UC4 did shake up the formula. The amount of shit it receives here is embarrassing though.
I liked Lazarevic because of Graham McTavish's fucking insane performance as the character. Fan of his work, so I sincerely hope Graham reprises his role as Cutter in a future Uncharted title.

I probably should've worked some more positives into the OP, because you're right: the shooting, what's there, is pretty decent. When you actually utilize the hook the way it was intended, you feel more dynamic than in past games, and it all flows nicely enough. That, and the fact that Drake can drop directly onto enemies to knock them out was a cool function. I just felt that, in this instance, the bad outweighed the good too much.

Nate and Elena were great in this, they have the same warmth, the same joyful banter as always, plus some obligatory drama in there to shake things up. Easily among the best fictional married couples out there, to be fair.
Marlowe, a villian who specializes in manipulation and striking where it hurts the most not mentioning Drake's brother will forever be the biggest plot hole in this series. On top of Sam being nowhere to be found during the childhood segment of 3.
We just have to assume Sam was in jail for something during that time, I guess. lol

The Marlowe thing is most egregious. That, and if I remember correctly, Drake makes a casual joke about his time in a Panamanian jail back in Uncharted 1. I don't feel most would've casually joked about one of the darkest moments of their lives.
Worth noting: for most of development, the game originally had a fairly challenging stamina management system built into it. Climb or hang too much and Drake would run out of stamina and fall (usually to his death).

They designed all the levels around this mechanic... then late in development had to cut it for various reasons (hard to balance, hard to tutorialise, etc).

But the development turnaround imposed on the team was so tight (2.5 years for the entire game), they didn't have time to go back and change all the level designs. So we still have tons and tons of walking and exploring and climbing seemingly without challenge because, up until near-ish release, there was challenge and the pacing worked.

Removing the stamina system, the pacing arguably doesn't work and much of the game feels like padding.
This actually makes sense, and it's unfortunate the stamina system had to be cut. As it stands, the player might accidentally miss a rope jump like, three times in the entire game, so it feels like it may as well be automated. I Am Alive had a stamina system that worked fairly well for the type of game it was, and maintained a sense of tension throughout because of this.

Mar 29, 2018
What is this nonsense.

Not to turn it into a list thread but

UC2 > UC:TLL >>> UC4 >>>>> UC3 >>> UC1

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it more than the other Uncharted games simply because the shooting mechanics were finally good but yeah i don't disagree with any of your points. It's about a 7/10 for me personally.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yep UC4 was a let down, but to echo the rest of the thread.... play Lost Legacy it's easily the best Uncharted.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After initially playing through a chunk of Uncharted 4 two years ago before dropping it (I got as far as Scotland), I figured "Hey, it's 2019, let's start the year off by going back and finally closing out the Nathan Drake saga". I'd been a pretty big Uncharted fan in my teenage years, so this had been a long time coming, and I was kinda excited to return and say goodbye to the characters I'd grown fond of all those years back.

What followed was, in my eyes, one of the most subpar gaming experiences I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I'm not quite sure where to begin, but for a game that won consensus GOTY in 2016, I expected a lot more. This was, to me, the weakest entry in the Uncharted saga (of the mainline titles, I haven't yet played Golden Abyss or The Lost Legacy). I guess I'll just go ahead with some bullet point critique, as there's a lot to go over.
  • To start off with, let's acknowledge the elephant in the room that I reckon most, deep down, feel is fairly stupid: the sudden emergence of Sam Drake, the "hey its me ur brother" moment of discovery where it's revealed that our hero had a secret older sibling who was merely in prison for every other adventure he's had! I'm sorry, but what?! After they went so far in the last game as to paint Drake as a lone orphan boy, pulled off the streets by Victor Sullivan, with no known relatives (Marlowe being aware of who he really is), they invoke one of the lamest tropes possible... ? It felt like they didn't know where to go with Nate and friends anymore, so they manufactured some drama in the cheapest way, forming the entire game's premise around a hardly believable brother dynamic. Yup, apparently you don't lose your shit when you discover your brother didn't actually die in prison 15 years ago, you just sorta go "Wow, you're back!", tell him a couple stories, then fly out to pull heists and search for treasure immediately after. It feels completely inorganic and unearned. In a game with such leisurely pacing, I've gotta wonder why they didn't do more to establish the fact that a close, thought dead relative re-entering your life out of the blue is something you wouldn't just accept and process within a day.
  • Ignoring the above and taking Sam as his own character, he's not particularly great. I don't feel as though he did much to reveal new sides of Nathan we hadn't seen before. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a retread of the last game's father and son dynamic between Nate and Sully, a relationship far more compelling than this one. Nate and Elena, thankfully, got some good scenes together, Sully mostly got shafted, Charlie Cutter only gets a mention at the start (despite leaving the fight prematurely in the last game), and Chloe may as well have never existed, despite being a major player in Uncharted 2 and 3. At least she gets her own spinoff, which I'm looking forward to playing.
  • They decided to spoil the most impressive, most exciting, coolest setpiece in the entire game at E3. The whole thing. It reminds me of those movie trailers that shove every good joke in the movie in the two minute trailer. The game peaks here, during the Madagascar truck segment, and never reaches that high again. When I think of Uncharted 3, and how the game suffered due to being written around setpieces instead of the other way around, I begin to think maybe that wasn't so bad compared to this.
  • The villains are pretty terrible. As we all know, towards the end of the game, it is revealed that Sam was spinning a lie the entire time, that he didn't break out of prison with the help of a drug lord, but rather, Rafe himself bailed him out. I didn't like this. Why? Simple: Hector Alcazar seemed a more compelling villain than Rafe Adler. To discover he actually died six months prior to the start of the game was a disappointment. I don't know that Rafe has a single memorable or iconic scene in the entire game, and that's a problem. Nadine? She's hardly worth mentioning as well, sadly. Uncharted isn't known for its strong villains, to be sure, but Flynn and Lazarevic were at least memorable and intriguing in their own right.
There's more to be said, but I feel I've written enough. To be blunt, I'm completely shocked that anyone could consider this a GOTY candidate, let alone winner. 2016 gave us Ratchet & Clank, Furi, Titanfall 2, and more. Opinions and all that, but I can't put Uncharted 4 on-par with any of those, personally. Uncharted 2 was GOTY material, this is not. Rather, it serves as an example of how a game can suffer when graphics and cinematic presentation take the forefront, and gameplay (story, even) are sent to the very bottom of the priority list.
It is the GOTY 2016. Too bad you didn't like it that much. It had too much climbing, but it's still an amazing game. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is amazing. Looks like you're missing out on that one. And more Uncharted games are coming in the future, as it looks like. Can't wait for more :)

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing OP doesn't even mention. The prison escape scene was completelly invented yet we palyed through the entirety of it anyway. It's such a cheap trick to make us believe it happened. You don't play through memories that never happened, it's bullshit.
I actually didn't mind this chapter. I'd even venture as far as to say it was one of the better ones, to be honest. It's a bombastic prison break done right, even ignoring the fact that it never actually happened. Just wish Alcazar was an actual villain, not a misdirection.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/10/uncharted-4-amy-hennig-issue-highlighted/amp/

I think it's also worth noting that this game at the point where Hennig left and Druckmann and Straley took over was a mess. They had to essentially create an entire game in 1 year and a half. Bruce Straley ended up renting another apartment closer to the studio so that he didn't waste time in his commute to work. All those climbing sections? There was actually supposed to be a climbing mechanic where you could fail, but they scrapped it due to not having enough time which is why then it looked like there was so much climbing in the game with no real challenge. If you read/listen to Blood Sweat and Pixels you'll come out thinking to yourself how Naughty Dog even managed to come out with the game they did, considering the circumstances they had to deal with. This also led to Straley eventually leaving ND due to being completey burned out on the project

I just think the way you worded your OP is super harmful and completely demoralizing for developers. Like sure, I'm not saying you have to like Uncharted 4 but you're being over the top with your title and OP just to get more attention. But what do I know, I Platinumes the game and beat it four times, so I obviously disagree with your overall opinion of the game.

As others have said, if you want a more traditional Uncharted game then Lost Legacy is for you. It didn't suffer from any of the studio issues 4 did.
Thanks for the link and the information in general, I'll read up on this. Had no idea the development cycle was so constrained and turbulent. Having now considered that, I do feel bad about the fervor with which I criticized Uncharted 4 in the OP, and I'll admit to being maybe a bit too negatively emotional toward the game. I just finished it yesterday, so it's still fresh in my mind. If I had written on it later in the week, I likely would've had more to say in the way of positives, but alas, my post has been seen as-is, and I can't really erase it.

I don't mean to demoralize the developers. This game was still very successful and acclaimed for Naughty Dog, and I'm years late to the party, so I figured I could be open and honest with my grievances. I have nothing against the (no doubt passionate and talented) devs, I'm merely criticizing elements of the product itself.

As far as getting the Plat in the game, I'm not sure of the relevance there. You and I are clearly both Uncharted fans, I even got 100% of the MP trophies in U3:
1o3Wu2M.png
I've played the absolute heck out of these games just the same.