• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I finished my first play through the story of VA-11 HALL-A last night and...seriously, why didn't I try this game sooner?

D7JbTZgU0AArnAW.jpg

I am about to rant and rave about your game, Jill! Sit down for a sec.

I enjoy a good VN, but VA-11 HALL-A remarkably unique in its premise and structure. Throughout the game, you play as a bartender named Jill just living her life and doing her job while living day to day in a cyberpunk dystopia city-state. The vast majority of the gameplay is, appropriately enough, preparing drinks for the various customers, regulars, and goofballs that come into the bar. It's generally not difficult. Customers often tell Jill what they want, or at least offer a clear enough hint that screwing up most orders is hard to do unless you're not paying attention.

The strength really comes from the game's writing, which comes from Jill's point of view. She's not an empty cipher, but someone with a personality that comes clearly across and who we learn more about as the game goes on. And then there are Jill's coworkers, friends, and other assorted weirdos, who all come across with different personalities and viewpoints of their own. Some of these folks are people Jill knows well, and others...well, she tolerates their presence because they buy drinks. All of them are really entertainingly written. Even the one's you'll want to (at minimum) punch in the face.

(Also, yes, the game does feature several references to the shit-ass RPG YIIK, though that's largely due to both games sharing the same publisher and the tendency of indies to reference each other through cross-promotion. VA-11 HALL-A was also originally released at a time when YIIK was still in deep development and at least publicly still showed promise. That YIIK is a cult classic in the VA-11 HALL-A universe with merch, cosplayers, and multiple remasters per year is actually pretty hilarious in retrospect and I salute the fictional devs in this alternate universe that actually made a good YIIK.)

I'm set to start a NG+ run through the story, and will probably go through it again at least once before I move on to another game. It's an easygoing VN and one of the most relaxing games I've played in a long time. I'm not sure what else to say about it at this point without descending into rambling about the graphics (which are incredibly stylish) or the music (which is also really cool and catchy). But yeah, I was late to the party on VA-11 HALL-A, and I'm glad I finally caught up.

Oct 29, 2017
It is a very good, and very comfy game. Cautiously excited for the sequel, but considering they said they weren't going to do a follow up... and they are... makes me nervous.

Something to note: Sukeban Games are a Venezuelan team, and set the game in a dystopia cyberpunk world in the middle of riots as a way of reflecting their day to day living situation. Taking a look at the story of the greater world in VA-11 with this in mind you'll really start to see it.

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Something to note: Sukeban Games are a Venezuelan team, and set the game in a dystopia cyberpunk world in the middle of riots as a way of reflecting their day to day living situation. Taking a look at the story of the greater world in VA-11 with this in mind you'll really start to see it.
I had no idea about that, but it really does come across in retrospect. Hopefully their sequel is able to live up to the first.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit past streaming-chan but haven't had time to get through much else. Really enjoying the game on Switch so far though.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I remember deciding to play this on a whim. It quickly became one of my favorite games.

Also, I didn't know until much later that Virgilio was based on a Jim Sterling character. Made more sense.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing about this game, but I never pulled the trigger. Oh well, at the very least, this is a good reminder to add it to my PS4 wishlist.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought this game 3 times and I'll maybe pull the trigger on a 4th. It's just so comfy and well-written. The characters feel like real people instead of, you know, just characters on a videogame.

I can't wait for the sequel.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm decently into the game now on Switch (had a failed attempt to play it previously on PC, couldn't find the time for the type of game it is though).
I'm at just after when you have to sleep over at the bar, then boss hangs out with Jill in her apartment
It's amazing, the characters and the world are really engrossing.

...and the music is incredible!

Also wtf at your pic... you can serve Jill?

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm decently into the game now on Switch (had a failed attempt to play it previously on PC, couldn't find the time for the type of game it is though).
I'm at just after when you have to sleep over at the bar, then boss hangs out with Jill in her apartment
It's amazing, the characters and the world are really engrossing.

...and the music is incredible!

Also wtf at your pic... you can serve Jill?
Yes, it occurs at a very brief part of the game but I won't say when or why.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I finally got it on Switch as well and damn, I couldn't stop playing.

I almost waited on it again this time around. I originally wanted to get it on PC but then the Vita version got announced.. so I wanted on Vita but then it was going to have a physical release. By the time the Vita physical release was out I had gotten rid of my Vita. There's a physical release in the works for Switch too and I almost waited for that as well. Will probably buy it again anyways since its such a good game.

Oct 29, 2017
Absolute gem of a game! I recently made a list of my favorite games of all time and this was around 11-12th for me.
I can't wait for the sequel!

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I Platinum'ed it over the past few days. Really fun experience... but, to be honest, I was expecting more.

I felt like the game only scratches the surface of the themes and characters it presents.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
what a coincydink i just finished drawing a thing on va11halla, i've had it on the mind recently

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LRG announced that they're going to do a print run for this game, so I've been holding off until that comes to fruition before I check it out myself!

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They did for the Vita I think, but they're going to do PS4 and Switch ones too. I want the PS4 version.
Yeah. According to their website, the Vita version is the only one that they have listed at the moment. There are no Switch or PS4 versions available through them (yet).

what a coincydink i just finished drawing a thing on va11halla, i've had it on the mind recently

That looks really nice!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game that manages to pull off some pretty impressive world building and character development despite being focused around a single location and a small cast of characters. Some of the dialogue is pretty hit and miss but for the most part the game does a good job with fleshing out it's characters and I really like the turn the game takes in the back half once it focuses more on Jill and her issues, it's a turn that I didn't expect the game to take but it's handled very well and it's extremely relatable.

I went into it with fairly low expectations and it ended up being one of my favourite games of all time.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sukeban pulls off with both N1RV Ann-A and Next Game.
I liked the game a lot, but upon a replay, I found a lot of the dialogue overly perverted, much too often. It detracted from my overall enjoyment of the game.
That was definitely my biggest gripe with the game but it was something that they at least acknowledged post release so I'm curious to see if they address it going forward. I think there were definitely instances where it felt fitting but more often than not it ended up feeling out of place.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
It's a lovely game and the developers are lovely people. I enjoyed playing this casually in the late evenings with a drink by my side.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Learning that the developers are Venezuelan really puts this entire game into perspective and helps you appreciate so much of what the game conveys even more.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see more people finding and appreciating this little gem of a game.

I'm waiting to see which physical switch version I want more, the Japanese release (which has English) or the Limited Run release, which may have different goodies, but may cost more...

Regarding the perverted tone of some of the dialogue in the game, the Devs did indeed touch on that post release and I believe that things will be more balanced in N1RV-Anna.

Speaking of - I'm really looking forward to bhoth N1RV-Anna and their 'next game' .

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing it last week and have been enjoying it. The Switch version has the option to shake the joycon to mix drinks and its just the coolest. Great game to just unwind and relax with. I also did not expect to see a Seinfeld character in a cyberpunk anime bartender game, but I love it!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm bumping this thread to say I finally finished this game, and I think I'm going through some kind of withdrawals.
It was the "good" ending and I had a few additional scenes at the end.

I still need to try out the prologue, and I'd like to finish off anything I missed, but maybe I need a break for a little while. I'm not even sure what else to play though.
What a beautiful little game, I feel like I barely got to know anybody and miss them already.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
OP, have you played 2064: Read-Only Memories? Highly suggest it if you haven't. It's a more traditional point and click game, but the devs of both it and VA11HALLA collaborated a lot to the point it takes place in thes same canonical universe. Definitely check it out as the writing is just as good and characters just as lovable.

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
OP, have you played 2064: Read-Only Memories? Highly suggest it if you haven't. It's a more traditional point and click game, but the devs of both it and VA11HALLA collaborated a lot to the point it takes place in thes same canonical universe. Definitely check it out as the writing is just as good and characters just as lovable.
I haven't played 2064, but I'd definitely like to give it a shot! Thank you for the recommendation.

I'm bumping this thread to say I finally finished this game, and I think I'm going through some kind of withdrawals.
It was the "good" ending and I had a few additional scenes at the end.

I still need to try out the prologue, and I'd like to finish off anything I missed, but maybe I need a break for a little while. I'm not even sure what else to play though.
What a beautiful little game, I feel like I barely got to know anybody and miss them already.
The prologue definitely answered a few questions I had, but right now, I'm just going through the game again, because why not? And also I'm not sure what else to play at the moment.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my Japanese physical copy on the mail.
It came with a small artbook and a CD! I didn't expect that.
Also, it has English, so at least I will be able to buy it lol
But I cannot update it, gives me an DNS error don't know why. I can access the eshop no issue.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I got this game, it was part of a steam humble bundle, and just seemed like one of those extra games I wouldn't really care about and would just sit unplayed and even uninstalled in my library. But on a whim, I figured I may as well check it out.

I don't remember what other games were on that humble bundle now because VA-11 HALL-A was that good.

It was just such a nice game to unwind to, play a day at a time over the course of a week or two, and really get engrossed in the characters and story. I picked it up again as soon as it landed on Switch, did another full play through, and am considering a third (I missed the *Kira* Miki ending somehow). It's just such a well done game that really showcases how games can tell a narrative. There's a lot to be said about big epic storylines in games, but smaller more intimate ones can be just as engaging and memorable, and this game does that right.

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The first time I got this game, it was part of a steam humble bundle, and just seemed like one of those extra games I wouldn't really care about and would just sit unplayed and even uninstalled in my library. But on a whim, I figured I may as well check it out.

I don't remember what other games were on that humble bundle now because VA-11 HALL-A was that good.

It was just such a nice game to unwind to, play a day at a time over the course of a week or two, and really get engrossed in the characters and story. I picked it up again as soon as it landed on Switch, did another full play through, and am considering a third (I missed the *Kira* Miki ending somehow). It's just such a well done game that really showcases how games can tell a narrative. There's a lot to be said about big epic storylines in games, but smaller more intimate ones can be just as engaging and memorable, and this game does that right.
The individual character endings are pretty great. I think I missed out on at least one because I wanted to see what one of the game's secret drinks actually did, so I didn't get a perfect performance for that night. But it's just so casual and easy to replay that it's not anything close to a problem.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game a lot, but upon a replay, I found a lot of the dialogue overly perverted, much too often. It detracted from my overall enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, this was an issue for me. I sat down and played it with my wife and she really liked it until we got to a guy who did a long rant about women faking orgasms. It was just... awkward, and my wife and I agreed to turn off the game and play something else.
I want to go back and finish the game someday, but I'm pretty sure ym wife is fully turned off from it.