• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game during its recent Switch eShop sale and decided to give it a shot as I was cooling down on Smash Ultimate. After playing it to completion in a few days, I have to say: I am very happy I bought this game.

This game made me smile. It made me laugh. It made me think. The moment-to-moment writing is stellar, and I think this is where the game shines most. Characters living in an apocalyptic setting express relatable experiences, questions, and concerns. The story takes you through increasingly dramatic scenarios but never loses sight of the people at the heart of it all.

The audio design is also wonderfully amusing, with many of the voice-recorded sounds being endlessly amusing (e.g., the bard's sleep murmurs).

The gameplay develops to give you new ways to use the musical and directional mechanics. The designers found creative ways to iterate on its primary control mechanism. The gameplay will not be what immediately comes to mind when I later reflect on this game, but it does have its share of "oh, cool!" moments as you see how the designers played with the concepts.

My only complaints were that one or two of the gameplay sequences were a little unclear to me, leading me to complete them without feeling that I'd fully understood the intentions of the designers; that you occasionally get gated off from areas as you're progressing (this is later mitigated, so if you're playing it and miss something, don't worry); and that the story's ultimate resolution didn't immediately click for me.

These negatives are just small blemishes on what was overall a delightful, optimistic experience. The game exudes an empathy and joy for people and humanity that I wholeheartedly appreciate.

The game is available on Nintendo Switch, Windows, and macOS. (EDIT: And now announced to be coming to PS4 on January 22!) If you have access to one of those platforms, I highly recommend checking it out!

Last edited:

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through it now and I am really enjoying it. I agree with a lot of what you said here.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
For any fellow frozen Canadians, this game is created by a Canadian dev - Greg Lobanov in Vancouver. It's also excellent.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic LTTP! I watched my partner play through the game and it was a joy to experience together, we felt just about the same as you on it. It's really such a charming and fun game.

Favorite character has to be
Peter, I loved the game's somewhat goofy somewhat serious take on the factory takedown during that act.

OP
OP
kirbyfan407

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I updated the OP to note that the game is announced to release on PS4 on January 22.

Fantastic LTTP! I watched my partner play through the game and it was a joy to experience together, we felt just about the same as you on it. It's really such a charming and fun game.

Favorite character has to be
Peter, I loved the game's somewhat goofy somewhat serious take on the factory takedown during that act.

Is Peter the revolutionary guy with the guitar who has a crush on Miriam? What made him your favorite?

My personal favorite early on was Mr. Monster and his boyfriend. Looking over the whole game and excluding the main cast, some favorites of mine for more serious reasons were the accordion player who lost their parent and Hala. For more humorous characters, I know there were many that I found great, but all I can think of right now is the Moon Fairy and its dynamic with the Sun Fairy.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks sharing your detailed impressions of the game kirbyfan407 ! I've been seeing a lot of praise for the game and would very much like to play it. I hope to soon. From what I remember you and I usually have similar taste in games so I think I will enjoy it a lot based on your post!

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this as well, up to Act 5 at the moment. Really great and its Paper Mario inspirations are really obvious.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend becoming a bard.

Heard a lot of good things about this game, hopefully I'll be able to play it soon.

OP
OP
kirbyfan407

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks sharing your detailed impressions of the game kirbyfan407 ! I've been seeing a lot of praise for the game and would very much like to play it. I hope to soon. From what I remember you and I usually have similar taste in games so I think I will enjoy it a lot based on your post!

I hope you enjoy it!

Been playing this as well, up to Act 5 at the moment. Really great and its Paper Mario inspirations are really obvious.

I feel the same way about the Paper Mario connection! I was reminded of Paper Mario: Color Splash as I played, and I later realized the premise kind of reminded me of Majora's Mask. A version of my OP originally had a line making these connections, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Is Peter the revolutionary guy with the guitar who has a crush on Miriam? What made him your favorite?

My personal favorite early on was Mr. Monster and his boyfriend. Looking over the whole game and excluding the main cast, some favorites of mine for more serious reasons were the accordion player who lost their parent and Hala. For more humorous characters, I know there were many that I found great, but all I can think of right now is the Moon Fairy and its dynamic with the Sun Fairy.

Yeah, that's him! Playing through the game we were taking turns voicing the characters. I got really into giving Peter my best russian revolutionary impression haha. Plus I enjoyed that he's a guitarist in love haha.

I really like your pick of Mr. Monster! The representation in this game is ludicrously amazing :D. My favorite fairy, and I wish I could remember which act/palace he was in, was the humanoid fairy who was 'dancing' along to the music while he made you wait for the overseer.

OP
OP
kirbyfan407

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's him! Playing through the game we were taking turns voicing the characters. I got really into giving Peter my best russian revolutionary impression haha. Plus I enjoyed that he's a guitarist in love haha.

I really like your pick of Mr. Monster! The representation in this game is ludicrously amazing :D. My favorite fairy, and I wish I could remember which act/palace he was in, was the humanoid fairy who was 'dancing' along to the music while he made you wait for the overseer.

I, too, appreciate the representation. :) I thought about mentioning it in the OP.

I believe the fairy you're talking about is the Order Fairy.

petethepanda's LTTP Thoughts

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Ah, damn, lol. I just started to type out a LTTP for this but hadn't checked in the last week to see if someone else had done one recently. So I'll just paste an abridged version in here!

Worth mentioning up top that the Steam version is 20% off for a few more days on Humble, it's on Switch, and it'll also be out on PS4 this week.

I had been really looking forward to this one, but I managed to let it slide further and further into my backlog amongst the flood of fall releases. I was in a darker place than usual as we got into December and I wound up finding my way back to it, hoping that it'd help to raise my spirits a bit. I finished it on New Years, and it's been rattling around at the front of my mind in the few weeks since.

So! The world is ending. You're a simple bard, not a legendary hero or anything, but you're tasked with traveling the world to gather verses of the Earthsong, which can be used to prevent the impending apocalypse. The easiest way to describe the game is that it's an adventure-platformer in the vein of something like Night in the Woods. In my mind, it's kind of 75% NitW, 25%... Doki Doki Universe? Maybe? Moreso the general vibe of it than the actual gameplay. You run around, talk to folks, engage in the occasional spot of platforming, that kind of thing. The writing is charming as hell, with sharp and funny dialogue and an incredibly endearing cast, and you interact largely by singing and dancing, abilities that you can use at almost any moment of the game, even during dialogue segments.

It's a bright and vibrant game, papercrafty-visuals keeping things varied and colorful, and great sound design puts a spring in everything's step, lending a kind of bouncy, jaunty quality to the game. And the soundtrack fucking rules, shifting and evolving along with each new act in the game. (It's a good game for headphones if it's an option.) And more than anything else, it's just incredibly optimistic. It's the kind of optimism that's tinged with doubt, wondering if you're capable and if your quest is even worthwhile, but keeps on being optimistic anyway because it's all you can really do.

I love it to pieces, and I hope other people have been finding out about it (hopefully that Steam mishap serves as a bit of marketing for it). The game definitely has its fans, but it's kind of wild that something this good hasn't become an absolute hit.

997f32b947b42de493c1f81ba9b1f391_original.gif

OP
OP
kirbyfan407

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, damn, lol. I just started to type out a LTTP for this but hadn't checked in the last week to see if someone else had done one recently. So I'll just paste an abridged version in here!

Worth mentioning up top that the Steam version is 20% off for a few more days on Humble, it's on Switch, and it'll also be out on PS4 this week.

I had been really looking forward to this one, but I managed to let it slide further and further into my backlog amongst the flood of fall releases. I was in a darker place than usual as we got into December and I wound up finding my way back to it, hoping that it'd help to raise my spirits a bit. I finished it on New Years, and it's been rattling around at the front of my mind in the few weeks since.

So! The world is ending. You're a simple bard, not a legendary hero or anything, but you're tasked with traveling the world to gather verses of the Earthsong, which can be used to prevent the impending apocalypse. The easiest way to describe the game is that it's an adventure-platformer in the vein of something like Night in the Woods. In my mind, it's kind of 75% NitW, 25%... Doki Doki Universe? Maybe? Moreso the general vibe of it than the actual gameplay. You run around, talk to folks, engage in the occasional spot of platforming, that kind of thing. The writing is charming as hell, with sharp and funny dialogue and an incredibly endearing cast, and you interact largely by singing and dancing, abilities that you can use at almost any moment of the game, even during dialogue segments.

It's a bright and vibrant game, papercrafty-visuals keeping things varied and colorful, and great sound design puts a spring in everything's step, lending a kind of bouncy, jaunty quality to the game. And the soundtrack fucking rules, shifting and evolving along with each new act in the game. (It's a good game for headphones if it's an option.) And more than anything else, it's just incredibly optimistic. It's the kind of optimism that's tinged with doubt, wondering if you're capable and if your quest is even worthwhile, but keeps on being optimistic anyway because it's all you can really do.

I love it to pieces, and I hope other people have been finding out about it (hopefully that Steam mishap serves as a bit of marketing for it). The game definitely has its fans, but it's kind of wild that something this good hasn't become an absolute hit.

997f32b947b42de493c1f81ba9b1f391_original.gif

Nice write-up! I agree about the optimism. The game is reassuring. I also agree that it's surprising that it hasn't found more success. I wonder if perhaps the marketing or something played a role in that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since you were originally going to create your own thread, I'll make your post a threadmark so it's at least more easily found.

Oct 25, 2017
So if I have PC, Switch & PS4, which platform does Wandersong play best on? Would love to pick up a copy but have no idea which platform to buy it for.

OP
OP
kirbyfan407

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
So if I have PC, Switch & PS4, which platform does Wandersong play best on? Would love to pick up a copy but have no idea which platform to buy it for.

I've only played it on Switch and didn't notice any issues. If it's a rather simple game graphically and technically (at least, from what I could tell), so I'd be surprised to hear the other versions had significant differences. I'd say buy it on whatever platform you prefer best. Perhaps someone will know the differences between the platforms and can answer you better.