• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 8 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes, 7 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Lttp: Watching Batman: The Animated Series for the first time

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
I saw up to when Harvey becomes Two face, almost done disc one. The animation really is so impressive for it's time to ke, it's hard to believe it was made in the early 90's, basically 30 years ago. I can see why people like this series. The pacing is great so far and they don't elaborate way too much on the villians. On the final episode of the disc. Per disc is 13 episodes and it looks like season 1 is huge in that case.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
TAS Batman and Joker are my favorite Batman and Joker, and Conroy is fantastic partly because he's one of the few actors I feel can pull off both Batman and Bruce Wayne. With most portrayals, I either like how an actor plays Batman or I like how they play wayne more, but Conroy was able to pull off both just in how well he changed up his voice tone. I can completely believe why people wouldn't make the connection.

Also absolutely love the soundtrack and how they even use villain themes to hint who is behind a plot in certain episodes where it's a mystery. I just adored this series, so much so that upon meeting Bruce Timm, I told him embarrassingly that he was my childhood. XD

Though part of that was because I was a fan of his other series as well.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully they release Superman: TAS on bluray soon, because I want to watch through the entire DCAU, preferably in HD.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I hear the animated series is the best adaption of the comics ever, is that true?
Definitely. It was so good that much of it was later incorporated back into the comics and games. For example, before this show, Mr. Freeze was just a jerk with a freeze ray. They made him into an entirely new character (and they got Hellboy’s Mike Mignola to do the redesign).

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh, I had no idea it was on sale. Ordered. Probably going to end selling my DVD collectors edition from way back.

Guess I'll have to wait for a good sale for the Beyond set.

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
Done disc 1, the first 13 episodes. Kinda disappointed they just have the Penguin show up out of nowhere with no backstory or anything yet. But my favorite episode so far is the transformation of Harvey Dent into two face, that was awesome.

It's crazy this show was made so well in the mind of adults and kids. I haven't found anything too cheesy at all yet. Starting disc 2 as of now. If Batman Beyond goes on sale I'll probably eventually pick it up. I don't know much about the original source material, but the transfer is pretty nice.

Also, when should I watch the movies? Do they need to be watched before certain episodes?

Oh, I had no idea it was on sale. Ordered. Probably going to end selling my DVD collectors edition from way back.

Guess I'll have to wait for a good sale for the Beyond set.
Yeah, great deal. $60 for batman beyond is a bit steep to me.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
Mexicali, Mexico
Perchance to Dream is still my favorite episode of any show. Ever. Come back with your opinions when you have watched it OP.
Anyway, overall, it's an amazing show, with some incredible dark and sad episodes:

The chapter about the girl who couldn't grow up and the kid that ends up being part of Clayface and gets absorbed

I still can't believe I was allowed to see some of that stuff as a kid.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Done disc 1, the first 13 episodes. Kinda disappointed they just have the Penguin show up out of nowhere with no backstory or anything yet. But my favorite episode so far is the transformation of Harvey Dent into two face, that was awesome.

It's crazy this show was made so well in the mind of adults and kids. I haven't found anything too cheesy at all yet. Starting disc 2 as of now. If Batman Beyond goes on sale I'll probably eventually pick it up. I don't know much about the original source material, but the transfer is pretty nice.

Also, when should I watch the movies? Do they need to be watched before certain episodes?
Mask of the Phantasm can be seen anytime, Sub-Zero after the second Mr. Freeze episode "Deep Freeze"

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I saw up to when Harvey becomes Two face, almost done disc one. The animation really is so impressive for it's time to ke, it's hard to believe it was made in the early 90's, basically 30 years ago. I can see why people like this series. The pacing is great so far and they don't elaborate way too much on the villians. On the final episode of the disc. Per disc is 13 episodes and it looks like season 1 is huge in that case.
Not really ahead of it's time, Batman TAS was TV animation with a budget done by people who knew what they wanted and done in a way that could appeal to kids and older people, on the budget side we can thank Disney for finally getting into producing animated shows for TV starting with the Gummi Bears and onwith the money they put into it eventually lead to other major studios to keep up, especially Warner Brothers and get TV animation out of its dark ages by the late 80s or do you mean more the art style?

Batman:TAS and maybe the Timm-era as a whole is kind of one of the pillars of TV animation IMO and helped continue the trend of studios actually putting money into animation for like the next 15 years until the bubble burst post-ATLA.

Anyway, the budget and art style along with the the voice acting are IMO why it holds up much, much better than its contemporaries in X-Men and later Spider-Man TAS that were on Fox at around the same time.