• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 25, 2018
Never even knew it existed. Got the bluray set and gotta say it's pretty damn good. I found out about it after my gargoyles vs avatar the last airbender post. Bluray transfer seems pretty great, really shows the animation is pretty amazing for its time.

Episode 1 was pretty good, the animation is pretty incredible for its time.

Episode 2 the intro of the Joker was great. I love the classic jingle bells theme Joker made.

Episode 3 with scarecrow was badass. My favorite villain, and the back story was pretty neat.

Well that's all I've seen so far, gonna watch more.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The intro theme started playing in my head just by looking at the title.

You're in for a treat. It is perhaps the best rendition of the character on screen to date.

Oct 28, 2017
It certain elevated itself beyond a kids cartoon at times. Mostly due to Conroys talent and Timm's style. It's the first thing I think of when I think of Batman.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am intrigued to how someone can know gargoyles and not even know Batman TAS existed

Edit: does theset includes the movies? If not, find them after finishing it because they are GOOD

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember an episode where Bruce Wayne was heartbroken about not being able to save/help everyone and it hit me this was not just a kid's cartoon.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think the music from the episode where Bruce goes undercover as a homeless person is forever seared into my brain. So fucking good.

Just listen to how evocative this soundtrack for a single episode of the show was! It tells a story all by itself while still referencing and playing off the series theme at that.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great show.

First episode with Scarcrow kind of sucks though. The other ones with him are better (especially when they totally revamp him in the last season).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never even knew it existed. Got the bluray set and gotta say it's pretty damn good. I found out about it after my gargoyles vs avatar the last airbender post. Bluray transfer seems pretty great, really shows the animation is pretty amazing for its time.

Episode 1 was pretty good, the animation is pretty incredible for its time.

Episode 2 the intro of the Joker was great. I love the classic jingle bells theme Joker made.

Episode 3 with scarecrow was badass. My favorite villain, and the back story was pretty neat.

Well that's all I've seen so far, gonna watch more.
Do you know Mark Hamill is voicing The Joker ? Best voice actor (and laugh) for the role in my opinion

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Wait til you get to Heart of Ice.

EDIT: Also, enjoy these random screencaps.

B9BcxvE4_o.png

F1MX3TwO_o.png

frYd2aUn_o.png

13lzwCrf_o.png

C18iVAFb_o.png

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Mask of the Phantasm is absolutely essential and maybe the best Batman movie. Enjoy the ride, I'll never forget sitting down to that show as a kid

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The show is pretty incredible, but it really wears it's children's show origins on its sleeve at times. Sometimes you'll just have to roll with the odd tension between the two modes.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Mask of the Phantasm is absolutely essential and maybe the best Batman movie. Enjoy the ride, I'll never forget sitting down to that show as a kid

No maybe about it. It's the only Batman theatrical release that just puts Batman onscreen and not some permutation to make him "filmic" in some way. The DCAU is the best most of DC's characters have ever been.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I bought the blu-ray set today for $40 at Best Buy (did an Amazon price match). The transfer is excellent and the show still holds up after all these years. Watching these on an OLED tv really makes the show even more enjoyable to view.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I think the music from the episode where Bruce goes undercover as a homeless person is forever seared into my brain. So fucking good.

Just listen to how evocative this soundtrack for a single episode of the show was! It tells a story all by itself while still referencing and playing off the series theme at that.

Shirley Walker (rip :( ) made the best batman soundtrack ever. And I say this having im really high regards elfman's ost in the first batman movie.
Is that fucking good. Batman's main theme is incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
The show is pretty incredible, but it really wears it's children's show origins on its sleeve at times. Sometimes you'll just have to roll with the odd tension between the two modes.

Yeah, as much as I adore Batman: The Animated Series and generally agree with the heaps of praise fans give it, the show does have a few flaws here and there. Still, it's one of the absolute greats and Mask of the Phantasm in particular is a sucker punch to the soul.

OP, once you've watched all of BTAS and Batman Beyond (if you bother to check that out), be absolutely sure to watch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker too. The flashback sequence in the middle of that movie is probably the greatest 10 minutes worth of Batman lore in the DCAU. Certainly one of its most haunting.

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
That poison Ivy episode was pretty good, I never have read any of the comics or anything so to get a little back story on characters is nice. I can't believe Luke Skywalker voices the Joker, it doesn't even sound anything like Mark Hamill except for very few moments where you can hear it. By far my favorite portrayal of Joker, his laugh is perfect. I hear the animated series is the best adaption of the comics ever, is that true?

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
That poison Ivy episode was pretty good, I never have read any of the comics or anything so to get a little back story on characters is nice. I hear the animated series is the best adaption of the comics ever, is that true?

Many feel that way, yes. The show also created the canon backstory for many of the characters, like Two Face and Mr Freeze, as well as creating Harley Quinn (she was a cartoon character well before comics).

That said, I dislike the endpoint of the series and the lasting ramifications in follow up series like JL/JLU and Batman Beyond. But classic BTAS is the gold standard to me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That poison Ivy episode was pretty good, I never have read any of the comics or anything so to get a little back story on characters is nice. I can't believe Luke Skywalker voices the Joker, it doesn't even sound anything like Mark Hamill except for very few moments where you can hear it. By far my favorite portrayal of Joker, his laugh is perfect. I hear the animated series is the best adaption of the comics ever, is that true?
I would agree with that.

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
Many feel that way, yes. The show also created the canon backstory for many of the characters, like Two Face and Mr Freeze, as well as creating Harley Quinn (she was a cartoon character well before comics).

That said, I dislike the endpoint of the series and the lasting ramifications in follow up series like JL/JLU and Batman Beyond. But classic BTAS is the gold standard to me.

I saw Batman Beyond, but the set is pretty expensive. I usually buy blurays and it's $60 for the whole series, which is a bit expensive considering I got the animated series for much less. If I like this series, I may look into other ones.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I saw Batman Beyond, but the set is pretty expensive. I usually buy blurays and it's $60 for the whole series, which is a bit expensive considering I got the animated series for much less. If I like this series, I may look into other ones.

If you get hooked they are worth additions.

The artstyle change in the last few seasons of BTAS might throw you off. There are still some great episodes but I think most people see it as a step down so be prepared for that.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
If you get hooked they are worth additions.

The artstyle change in the last few seasons of BTAS might throw you off. There are still some great episodes but I think most people see it as a step down so be prepared for that.

Nah it's great. The animation is more consistent, some of the episodes are allowed to go darker, and there's more focus on the Bat family.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Nah it's great. The animation is more consistent, some of the episodes are allowed to go darker, and there's more focus on the Bat family.

To each their own. Many of the updated character designs are worse, and some of the story beats are just bleh to me, though some of the darker episodes are legitimately great. My biggest issue is likely what ends up happening with most of the relationships with the Bat Family.

Bruce and Babs having a fling will never not be trash, and the interpretation of "Batman will always be alone cause he pushes people away" stands in stark contrast to the man Bruce is in the first few seasons.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own. Many of the updated character designs are worse, and some of the story beats are just bleh to me, though some of the darker episodes are legitimately great. My biggest issue is likely what ends up happening with most of the relationships with the Bat Family.

Bruce and Babs having a fling will never not be trash, and the interpretation of "Batman will always be alone cause he pushes people away" stands in stark contrast to the man Bruce is in the first few seasons.

Both those concepts were introduced in Batman Beyond.

The only character designs I don't like are Joker and Riddler. The rest are fine with Bane, Penguin, Scarcrow, and Batgirl being massive improvements.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Both those concepts were introduced in Batman Beyond.

The only character designs I don't like are Joker and Riddler. The rest are fine with Bane, Penguin, Scarcrow, and Batgirl being massive improvements.

Relationship was hinted throughout, and was made very apparent in Mystery of the Batwoman, but I digress.

Frail Gordon is not a great redesign either. And I wasn't big on dapper Penguin but the character himself was an improvement.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Relationship was hinted throughout, and was made very apparent in Mystery of the Batwoman, but I digress.

Frail Gordon is not a great redesign either. And I wasn't big on dapper Penguin but the character himself was an improvement.

Technically Mystery of the Batwoman came out after Batman Beyond, so my point still stands :)

I also really like the fantastical elements that were introduced, and the crossovers with Superman. I like classic B:TAS too, but changing up the formula a bit was a nice way to go.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I was 9 years old when it debuted. I lived out in the sticks, but my grandparents had just installed a satellite dish (one of the huge old ones), and every day after school my cousins and I would run to their house to catch this.

It's great, OP. I still remember watching the Clayface episodes for the first time and being blown away.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite shows when I was little kid.

Also, +1 for Batman Beyond. That show alone got me heavily into dystopian/tech-noir/cyberpunk stuff.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
you're in for a ride, enjoy!

Also, yes, Mark Hamill's voice IS the Joker for me. Pitch perfect. And that laugh!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible show. Timm and co. also did a Superman cartoon (along with new episodes of Batman) later in the 1990s. Batman Beyond was also a show they did that should not have worked at all, but was also amazing.

And then they did Justice League (the first season is pretty rough, but season 2 is incredible. And Unlimited is also quite excellent for the most part).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Walker died before La-La Land Records could release Vol. 1 of the soundtrack (the first time any of the music was made commercially available) in 2008. It was a very limited pressing, and the first however many copies were signed by Lolita Ritmanis and Michael McCuistion, the other two composers with tracks in that release. I was lucky enough to get one of those copies, and I was thrilled to finally get my hands on that music. But it was sad that Walker wasn't there to put her name on it.

Though this did make it into the release:

EDIT: Also, not many people know that Walker was the conductor, orchestrator, and a contributing composer for the '89 score.

Yeah I really love that video, have listened to it many times. Love how she explains how she composed the main theme.