• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
...of other games? This game is just too good.

I've owned it for a while now, after it finally dropped in price. I had a thread on here a year ago wondering why the base price was $60 after 3 years.

I initially started it then put it down because the avatar countdown was high and I thought it was game over if it reached the end. Boy was I wrong.

I'm probably nearing the end of this first playthrough and will be starting another right after because the stress this game provides is just Soo good.

Throughout most of the game I've been picking myself up and trudging through because it's just a non stop assault on you. Trying to get something done? Fuck you. Here's 8 alien events just to fuck you further.

But you can succeed and it feels so damn good to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. The best turn based tactics series out there. I LOVE that series. Definitely check out Mutant: Year Zero if you like X-Com. It's an excellent game.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The balance in that game is a high wire act. It is so perfectly executed, it's genius. Like you say it feels so good to win when it always feels like the odds are stacked against you.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Xcom 2 is X-COM: Terror from the Deep
A2rlM07.gif

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the shit, man. War of the Chosen elevates it to GOAT level. You got it on PC? You should definitely try out the mods there. They're crazy.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah playing on PC. Any recommendations on mods?
I mostly mess with the cosmetic stuff. Outfits, voices, etc. There's some great gameplay changes though as well, and with enough mods you can completely overhaul the game to be themed around other universes: Star Wars, Mass Effect, Halo, etc. I'd recommend just looking through the top rated/popular stuff on the Steam Workshop and seeing for yourself what catches your eye.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I like the series, old and new, but tbh I prefer Enemy Unknown to 2. 2 had a bunch of great stuff, but I just didn't click with the new geomap system.

(Also, in case you didn't know, the new game from the original creator of X-Com Julian Gollop is out in a couple of weeks - Phoenix Point, I've been playing the backer buildsv and it's pretty dope.)

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it ran a little better, but yeah, once you have the right mods in place, it's a crazy time suck.

Although the Long War mod for the first XCOM (no hyphen) still feels peak for me.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I wish it ran a little better, but yeah, once you have the right mods in place, it's a crazy time suck.

Although the Long War mod for the first XCOM (no hyphen) still feels peak for me.

Does a match for long war exist for xcom 2? (From what I read I gather it's enemy unknown)

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yup it's awesome and I still have to check out the expansion, which I've heard is pretty meaty and nice improvement for the main game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah playing on PC. Any recommendations on mods?

Other than the cosmetic mods wich are basically "pick your poison and clog up your loading times at the speed of light" (seriously, i have way too many voice packs but i can't get rid of any :p ), those are my gameplay go to that i can't play without (all are for WOTC tho, there's no point playing without) :

Gotcha Again, to better understand what you can or can't see.
Quick Soldier Info, to easily select your soldiers and see their status.
Numeric Health Display, because it's way easier to understand than the default health bars.
Evac All, because i'm lazy and it's faster to click once than six.
Stop Wasting My Time, title self explanatory.
Cost-Based Ability Colors, to better grasp what is free or what will end your turn outright.
New Target Icons, helps selecting your targets and it looks cool.

Quite classical selection i'd say (most have a version for playing without WOTC if you wish but why would you ?).

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
XCOM2 + WOTC is one of the best games of the gen. It was already a solid experience with the initial release but WoTC just pushed it to legendary status. Amazing strategy game.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had us in the first half not gonna lie.

But yeah game is amaaaaazing. One of those "Been a while, maybe I should boot this up and do a 80 hour long run" games.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Just diving back in, but my save was all jacked up. Maybe has to do with my migration to xbox x. I'm not sure if I'm doing better or worse on this playthrough. It's a pretty great time and I'm looking forward to playing more.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Just played a mission and it was chaos. Pulled 2 pods accidentally then a 3rd joined the mix. Somehow made it out with only 3 wounded. Phew.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I believe I've unlocked the final mission. Will be doing it next then on to a harder difficulty. With I had wotc to add some spice but sadly I don't.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you had me going with that title

I may never beat this game because I'll never play it outside of ironman but it's gotta be one of the best of its kind

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Great game. I bought it and played a bit when it first came out, but put it down for some reason. I went back to it recently, started over, and had a blast playing through from beginning to end.

That last mission towards the end...

giphy.gif

Good stuff.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love this game but the performance on PS4 is so bad that I had to quit playing. I'm hoping PS5 will improve that.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Lol, I just thought yesterday that I badly need XCOM 3.
Great timing OP

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what happens if the Avatar meter fills up? I'd also assumed that was a game over condition; you're saying it isn't?

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Wait, what happens if the Avatar meter fills up? I'd also assumed that was a game over condition; you're saying it isn't?

It's not!

You get about a 20 day countdown to reduce it after it fills.

It filled once for me but after that I've been able to easily keep it in check.

Oct 31, 2017
Surprised Tuco Benedicto Pacifico haven't posted in here yet.
Didn't notice the thread. Thanks for pointing it to me.

Also, for those who don't get the joke of why Dennis is singling me out, here's a shameless plug to a very similar thread I started few months ago:
www.resetera.com

The more I go back to play XCOM 2, the more I realize it may very well be one of my all times favorites.

Not even sure what I'm expecting or hoping to achieve by starting this thread, but I was just replaying this game in the past few days and the realization dawned on me. I enjoyed the first Fireaxis reboot to a fair extent, but I had some criticism about how they managed some parts of the game...

As i said then: this slowly but steadily grew from a game I enjoy to becoming genuinely one of my all times favorites (and I didn't even see it happen, if not in hindsight).

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X-COM is one of the GOAT video game series. And yes, this game specifically is excellent.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it runs so awful on the Pro but...i love it. i think they made all the right moves with this entry, despite people saying that they made it worse. it is super tense at times and the beginning of the game just kicks the players butt which is awesome. feels like an oldschool PC game back in the days.

Oct 31, 2017
It just gives you a warning and a 20-something days countdown to remove one tick from the bar.
It's a common strategy to let it fill almost deliberately while keeping ready one mission/special action that can lower it when you actually need it, especially since during that "danger countdown" dark events can't be triggered by the enemy.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
some of the most stressful gameplay ive ever experienced. admittedly save-scummed some missions (was tied too much to those guys n gals)

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Beat it yesterday and started up a new one on Commander difficulty. Perhaps wotc will be on sale soon!

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed it but as a console player I really hate the mission timers and the fact there's nothing I can do about it (mods)

Pretty much the only thin stopping me from playing through it again. Played through the original xcom on ps3 three times

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XCOM 2 is a really really good game. WoTC puts it in the GOTG conversation for me.

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Other than Civ 5 I think it's probably my favourite game. I adore it. I really hope they make another.

If you didnt play with WOTC you really really should.