• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and man, what a fantastic game.

I bought the game back on December but left it on hold. This summer I started playing it and I'm glad I did.

I confess that in the early stages of the game I was nearly dropping it out, because all the mechanics and the early slow pace of the gameplay and story can easily steer some people of the game. I was on the edge but somehow managed to get pass those starting hours to find a game that has one of the most complex battle system that I ever played, and yet one of the most if not the most satisfying battle system ever.

When you get the hang of blade combos, fusion combos, chain attacks and a good pair of blades, the game manages to shine in an amazing way. It's such a joy in an RPG to see that your timing and notion of everything that pops out on the screen can have a huge impact on defeating a high level boss, something that for example I found Persona 5 lacking.

Building a strategy on the final boss to give him a 2M+ chain attack damage felt damn good.

Then we have the Titans, such wonderful and huge places to explore. So far I've spent about 150 hours in the game and I'm sure that I've missed a ton, because field skills, while a cool mechanic it can also feel a bit of a shore.

When I say that the battle system pushes the game beyond good, it's because in some moments the game can be a little dull, and if not for the amazing battle system and the addiction of keeping playing it, I don't know...

For example - sidequests. Besides the blade quests, which are cool, most of the side-quests fell dull and boring to do. Talk, fetch, defeat monster, deliver item: done.

The other small grip that I had was it the narrative itself. For starts, Rex grew on me through the course of the game, but not enough, and in the end I still think he is a boring leading character. There were many other characters in the group that I always felt like would make a more cool leading character, being the notorious one Zeke.

Also regarding the narrative:

I was left clueless when the game made a full 360 NASA spin on me. From a fantasy story, full of gigantic walking continents, we are now sudden in a galactic space station, because, why not? I understand that this has some connection with Xenoblade 1, but still, it felt like a huge change of scenarios. Too huge if you ask me.

And I didn't really understand in the final moments, if both Mythra and Pyra lost the memories. If yes, then it's a nice touch, if not it's kind of a non-sense.

All in all, with some bumps along the way, I think Xenoblade 2 has became one of my favourite JRPG thanks to it's amazing gameplay. A huge huge battle system. Congrats Monolith.

Can't wait for the Torna DLC now.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game. I liked a lot of the story, adore the music, think the world is fantastic, the characters are heart warming, and the battle system, as you point out, is sublime. I do think the game has a lot of jank and issues, some by design (not that that makes it better), and some undoubtedly a vitim of the rushed development cycle the game went through.
But the end result is amazing. It's one of my favorite games of the generation (probably not top 5, but still).
To answer the question in your spoiler, I
always assumed memory loss[/spolier]

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is complicated but super fun. The whole timed button press blade and arts combos feel super satisfying. It is unfortunate that you don't get major moves until chapter 3, but it's nice that you're constantly changing how you play with new abilities throughout the adventure

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I dunno. I feel like there is strategy in how you equip your team (which is pretty tedious), but when you're actually battling you just end up doing the same thing over and over again. It's still pretty engaging, if only because you need to be paying attention and responding to what's going on.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
It would be a better game if it wasn't for the stupid Gacha mechanics...

Like... yesterday I spent more than 200 core crystals and didn't get the only rare blade I'm missing... ugh...

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
The opinions over this game are all over the place, it seems. I loved the game, but It's a whole new experience if compared with the Xeno1. Gachas can burn in hell tho.

Well, I personally liked the combat, but I thought it was really less intuitive than the other Xenos. XenoX, compared to this one, is a walk in the park for someone like me.

I expect the day where Monolith will go full ATB, or full action.

Also, what Takahashi has against the healers?

OP
OP
Verdanth

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
It would be a better game if it wasn't for the stupid Gacha mechanics...

Like yesterday I spent more than 200 core crystals and didn't get the only rare blade I'm missing... ugh...

Yes, the gacha mechanics can ruin the game a bit. Has soon as I found my top 5 blades for Rex, and made a good combo team for my other two main: Zeke and Morag, I barely used the other blades.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best battle systems I've played in an RPG period. Nothing more satisfying than unleashing a chain attack when you have 8 orbs on a boss.

Nov 1, 2017
Xeno X's battle system was way too messy for me so I'm glad they dialed things back and tried something new. I love fusion combos and full bursts. *braces for the incoming X evangelists*

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Combat is one complaint i never understood about the xenoblade series. All three have unique, complex and extremely satisfying battle systems. Once you start to get a handle on all the stuff you can do it actually feels pretty awsome. Xenoblade are not character action games and dont need to be. I feel the xenoblade games have the best balance between turn based and action based combat.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 has to be in the lead for the most lttp threads of any game on here, it feels like I see this same thread once a week. I really need to get around to playing it at some point.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I confess that in the early stages of the game I was nearly dropping it out, because all the mechanics and the early slow pace of the gameplay and story can easily steer some people of the game. I was on the edge but somehow managed to get pass those starting hours to find a game that has one of the most complex battle system that I ever played, and yet one of the most if not the most satisfying battle system ever.

You're almost making me want to give it a second chance... I dropped it right after I landed in that forest after the very first dungeon. I didn't like the battle system in XCX but still loved the game (mechs helping), but in this one the fights seem even slower and the attack strings stop when you move, which for me was the last straw. I felt I was playing in slow motion, and didn't see myself stomaching 60h of that. I'm sure the rest is great.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Love the combat.

Early game: These guys have so many HP... Please die......

Late game: That's it? I haven't even started bursting.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I didn't like the combat. It was overly flashy and with so much crap happening on the screen I had a hell of a time keeping track of which way I was facing. But my primary problem with the combat system isn't that it's bad, but that it's so abstract. What you the player does has little to do with what the characters are doing. You play button mash timing games and match the element games while your characters hack and slash. It's not the sort of combat system I really enjoy. I want to be directly involved in what my characters are doing, not going off on some mini game tangent, and this is a thing that's become progressively pronounced with the combat of each game, like the devs realize waiting for gauges to fill while watching your character auto attack isn't the most engaging thing. But their answer of adding layers of mini games over top of that didn't exactly draw me in, and I already hated so much of what this game did.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was left clueless when the game made a full 360 NASA spin on me. From a fantasy story, full of gigantic walking continents, we are now sudden in a galactic space station, because, why not? I understand that this has some connection with Xenoblade 1, but still, it felt like a huge change of scenarios. Too huge if you ask me.

And I didn't really understand in the final moments, if both Mythra and Pyra lost the memories. If yes, then it's a nice touch, if not it's kind of a non-sense.

All in all, with some bumps along the way, I think Xenoblade 2 has became one of my favourite JRPG thanks to it's amazing gameplay. A huge huge battle system. Congrats Monolith.

Can't wait for the Torna DLC now.

The big change in scenario and wtf moments are one thing that i really love about Xenoblade games. I can understand that it could be confusing to newcomers of the series etc. but it was explaned in game.
Glad you liked the game.

The combat is complicated but super fun. The whole timed button press blade and arts combos feel super satisfying. It is unfortunate that you don't get major moves until chapter 3, but it's nice that you're constantly changing how you play with new abilities throughout the adventure

Word, the fighting system doesn't get boring as fast like in some other long games (berseria, which i still liked for the characters and story) and it feels satisfying to create absurdly strong blade builds. Could use better tutorials but the fighting system itself is great.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what people see in the battle system. Pressing button prompts is not what I would call enjoyable. It sure as hell doesn't look like anything shown in the cutscenes!

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
It's strange that opinions on the combat are so mixed wherever I look. I'm kinda with the group that feels it's a little simple once you understand it, but I also didn't do the really high level stuff. It was a lot of fun, but once I got the hang of things I feel like I kinda just did a similar strategy until the end.

I mean, with the exception of one notorious boss fight...

OP
OP
Verdanth

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, only time I got 8 was on the superbosses.

The most I got was 4, but I stood with the same blade combination for the most part of the game, so that's normal.

It takes a load of time to max-affinity a blade, I didn't want to change in the middle of the process Lol...

Just out of curiosity, what was your blade composition?

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the game and I still don't fully understand the combat. But man, do I enjoy this game.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, though it takes a while before things are getting interesting and you have all the tools unlocked, i'd say too much.

Also i like the autoattack, sometimes i intentionally attack enemies several levels below my party and then leave the controller if i have to do something else, instead of pausing the game. (i've heard with the season pass the IA can also do combos for you)

But i hated this boss soo much, cause i got there a little underleved, and it has one attack that basically wipe your party immediately.

DlAGewtV4AAryyA.jpg:large

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game, im glad you liked it op. The battle system really is great once you get into the swing of it. Really what drew me in was the story and characters, I cant wait for the dlc

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The combat is one of the things that I like the most about Xenoblade. And before I played I thought I wouldn't enjoy it but man I was so wrong.

Last edited:

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Does the combat system improve after Chapter 4? So far it feels overly complicated without really having much depth. Every fight you go through the same motions. Get an attack chain going, do an all out attack to break the orbs. Rinse and repeat. Sure some enemies have specific weaknesses that mix some things up a bit, but for the overload of information the game presents you, it really doesn't seem to offer the deep, satisfying gameplay people make it out to have. It doesn't help that the sidequests are complete garbage as well, with many being a string of fetch quests that you do until you find out you don't have the field skill necessary to complete them. I'm kind of surprised this game was lauded so much over Persona 5 last year honestly.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
200 hours in and the battle system is still as fresh for me as it was hour at 20.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Does the combat system improve after Chapter 4? So far it feels overly complicated without really having much depth. Every fight you go through the same motions. Get an attack chain going, do an all out attack to break the orbs. Rinse and repeat. Sure some enemies have specific weaknesses that mix some things up a bit, but for the overload of information the game presents you, it really doesn't seem to offer the deep, satisfying gameplay people make it out to have. It doesn't help that the sidequests are complete garbage as well, with many being a string of fetch quests that you do until you find out you don't have the field skill necessary to complete them. I'm kind of surprised this game was lauded so much over Persona 5 last year honestly.
It doesn't really other than one addition at the end. Starting chains and breaking orbs is literally all I ever did until I beat the game. It sorta got repetitive and boring.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
You're almost making me want to give it a second chance... I dropped it right after I landed in that forest after the very first dungeon. I didn't like the battle system in XCX but still loved the game (mechs helping), but in this one the fights seem even slower and the attack strings stop when you move, which for me was the last straw. I felt I was playing in slow motion, and didn't see myself stomaching 60h of that. I'm sure the rest is great.

As the game progresses you continue to unlock battle mechanics that, if used correctly, significantly increase the speed of combat.

Nauro

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

I remember seeing that the game was datamined and apparently there's an audio file that has Mythra and Pyra say "Hi, I'm Mythra/Pyra", as if they were just awakened through blade synthesis. I however would expect them to remember their entire past similar as to how Pyra did when she was awoken by Rex in chapter 1.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Unlike the first game where this twist kinda came out of nowhere, XC2 doesn't really disguise it. The World Tree is clearly some high-tech leftover from ancient times from the start. Also this is what every Xeno game is like. They all take place in a future where Earth got destroyed or lost.

Regarding the final moment, it's best if they didn't lose their memories. They were brought back by god as a reward for saving the world. Having them lose their memories undermines the whole story.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Honestly...forreal. I do not so the rave reviews for the battle system. You have so little time/agency to not just start building combos-orbs and ignoring any sort of tactics. The additional amount of menu micromanaging didn't really make things much better.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I still have to get back to the game, but I hate the combat.
I already passed chapter 4 and got every mechanic, but only once in a while I actually find it fun. Most of the time, I find it too troublesome and boring.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I ageee with this. I mean overal the battle system was fine enough that I beat it, but it wasn't anything to write home about. It wasn't deep. It was repetitive. I barely felt there was an actual back and forth between me and the enemies. The battle system felt really disconnected and not terribly strategic.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Glad to see you enjoyed it op! I agree that the battle system is one of the best parts of the game. In regards to your narrative question:
The question of Pyra/Mythra's memories is one we've had quite a bit of discussion about in the original OT. I personally see their revival as miracle by god (The particle from Elysium went into the crystal spurring their reawakening). Therefore, I'm partial to them retaining their memories. I also personally think them retaining their memories would suit the ending a lot better, but that's just me.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Can someone explain cancelling and reverse cancelling?

You do a driver art at the end of an auto attack. You will see a blue flash if you perform a cancel correctly. You can also cancel one driver attack into the other. You can also cancel the driver attack or auto attack into the blades elemental attack. Probably the best of all is you can cancel any driver attack or blade attack into swapping to your other blades. All of this is don't at the end of an attack a lot like ending a combo with a special move in a fighting game. Example: any hit of auto attack cancels to driver attack, into another driver attack, into blade attack, into swapping blade and continuing the string.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I recently finished XC2 again on hard mode and it killed me a few times even with maxed out charts and S+ trust an all blades.
The combat system shines more on the superbosses and challenge mode for sure.
It's probably my most favorite jrpg.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
That big turn that happens is built up to a bit at least as you keep going higher and higher...

My favorite part of the battle system is how much the music works so well with it. The fights keep escalating and getting more and more tense and the music goes right along with it. Killer game and have already done two full plays through it with a third when the Golden Country comes out.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
The most I got was 4, but I stood with the same blade combination for the most part of the game, so that's normal.

It takes a load of time to max-affinity a blade, I didn't want to change in the middle of the process Lol...

Just out of curiosity, what was your blade composition?

I played the game back in December, so I'd have to boot the game up to tell you to be honest.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I loved the combat system

So damn satisfying especially against high level monsters

Beat the game back in January 2018 fuck now I wanna play it again just to use all those blade combos

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked the combat. It took far too long to build stuff up and even the most basic enemies took too long to kill even though I could be 20 levels higher, depending on the region. Granted I can't think of any combat system that I like that involved auto attacking so it was an uphill climb for the game to impress me to begin with.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I struggle to understand what people enjoy so much about this battle system. It's just not that fun for me. It's slow, tedious and very repetitive with then so many other systems and aspects of games like the gatcha stuff only service to make it more tedious and annoying. The battle systems in XB series has always been a huge drawback for me. It's at its best in boss battles and major encounters, but that comes at the expense of normal battles being incredibly inflated due to the ridiculous enemy health making them a complete chore and turning already oversized environments that much less interesting and worthwhile to explore. And even boss battles aren't exactly phenomenal, they're just a bit better as you can more easily pull of major chain attacks. It's such a far cry from the vastly more interesting and enjoyable combat systems from Xenogears and especially Baten Kaitos Origins. The poor character designs and weird MMO-esque combat have been the bane of this series for me from the start.

I really wish they would move away from this weird automated combat with cooldown arts and just go to a fully manual combat system with proper combos and special attacks ala Tales of. I mean ultimately XBC2 really is just Tales of combat but infinitely worse as you're not actually controlling your character. I mean even the whole goddamn Driver x Blades is a near complete rip-off of Zestiria's Shepards x Seraphs which I found to be a far more interesting and meaningful a system. Somethings not right when you've got me wishing a game was more like Zestiria of all games.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Once you understand everything and have a good party composition to reliably pull off full bursts it really becomes so satisfying.

Building up your orbs and then absolutely nuking the enemy with millions of damage and a flashy attack cutscene is so great.