• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Fantastic game as always with monolithsoft.

Replayed it recently on cemu and it's still gorgeous, I still find it incredible that it was running on the Wii U.

It has my favorite art direction, the environments are stunning and I was still blown away with its art direction when I replayed it in glorious HD.

RFOBfMP.jpg

LxJsoYf.jpg

Can't wait for their fantasy project. Monolithsoft's worlds are the best.

Have fun OP!

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
While this game had some major flaws, it is such a memorable experience the whole way through.

I really want a sequel that addresses some of the mysteries, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. In the end, it depends on what Takahashi feels like doing.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
One of my all time favourites and my favourite Xenoblade title.
Although the Skells are obviously amazing, once you get the flight licence the world diminishes in scale.
Discovering Mira on foot is actually mesmerizing.

Same here. I was originally a bit bummed when i heard how late you get your skell's flight license, but once you actually dig into the world you'll realize just how amazing the world design is on foot and the variety is just fantastic. It's a hell of a game and my favorite Xeno after Xenosaga 3.

Nov 17, 2017
Great game and my favorite of the Xenoblade series. I want to play it again but it would involve dragging out and dusting off my poor old Wii U from its early grave.

If I had one thing to say about getting the most out of this game, OP, it would be to explore to your hearts content. Engage with the sidequests and the stories of all the NPCs, find out what's just over that mountain or beyond the horizon. This is definitely not a game you want to just go from main story mission to main story mission. It's a meaty game but take it at your own pace and just let curiosity take you (and sometimes kill you because 9 times out of 10 that flower is NOT a flower.)

The story won't hook you.

Just saying.
Perhaps but the world building and side quests certainly will.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Guys, I'm :
- Super into Final Fantasy XII TZA because of its world building
- A sucker for jaw-dropping open-worlds (I mean BotW)
- In total AWE in front of the gifs above

Good thing I have a backlog the size of Paris otherwise I would have been on the verge of doing a terrible mistake

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Hope monolith soft is making a similarly ambitious game for the switch.

Nov 17, 2017
Fantastic game as always with monolithsoft.

Replayed it recently on cemu and it's still gorgeous, I still find it incredible that it was running on the Wii U.

It has my favorite art direction, the environments are stunning and I was still blown away with its art direction when I replayed it in glorious HD.

RFOBfMP.jpg

LxJsoYf.jpg

Can't wait for their fantasy project. Monolithsoft's worlds are the best.

Have fun OP!
How did you take these screenshots? They're so high quality!

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic screen, I might need to dig into Cemu one of these days. Did you need super high specs to get that resolution?

Guys, I'm :

Good thing I have a backlog the size of Paris otherwise I would have been on the verge of doing a terrible mistake

Trust me, playing X is never a mistake.

Aug 12, 2019
I feel like we should start pushing for a Switch port in a more serious manner. I became very concerned about something I thought was a done deal when they announced XC: Definitive Edition and read about some o Monolith Soft's apprehension to port such a large game. I'd absolutely adore X on Switch and I'm just a little worried about them not doing it...

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I feel like we should start pushing for a Switch port in a more serious manner. I became very concerned about something I thought was a done deal when they announced XC: Definitive Edition and read about some o Monolith Soft's apprehension to port such a large game. I'd absolutely adore X on Switch and I'm just a little worried about them not doing it...
I love xenoblade X but the game is really inaccesable. It's not the type of game to get a lot of positive impressions with a rerelease. On the contrary and they know

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The story was awful, I really disliked all of the characters.

But I loved the exploration. I had so much fun customising my mech too.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly an incredible game. The story isn't the best, but the world setting and lore were great. Getting a mech for the first time was some of the more liberating feelings I've had in gaming, and even more so when I could fly with it. Really tons of fun exploring and doing missions.

Nov 17, 2017
I love xenoblade X but the game is really inaccesable. It's not the type of game to get a lot of positive impressions with a rerelease. On the contrary and they know
It's not THAT inaccessible. Yeah, there's a lot of depth to the game and many mechanics but one can play and even beat the game without mastering or even using all of them.

Also I don't know why it wouldn't get positive impressions. I got positive impressions the first time it came out.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
How did you take these screenshots? They're so high quality!

These are from when I replayed the game on CEMU in native 1440p /w some graphic packs! :P

Fantastic screen, I might need to dig into Cemu one of these days. Did you need super high specs to get that resolution?

I don't really know much about the specs needed to run XCX on cemu but the game has been perfectly playable for awhile, shouldn't need huge specs . I personally have a 1080Ti and an i7 7700k.
But I saw videos with gtx 1050Ti's and some low end processors running the game flawlessly at 30fps in HD. So if you have a half decent pc you probably won't have any issues as long as you config cemu correctly!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's not THAT inaccessible. Yeah, there's a lot of depth to the game and many mechanics but one can play and even beat the game without mastering or even using all of them.

Also I don't know why it wouldn't get positive impressions. I got positive impressions the first time it came out.
Because WII U was a niche console. Switch has a bigger and more varied audience of which I imagine alot would be turned off by the game. Xenoblade X is great and it is sad if it never rereleases on switch but a sequel that improves on everything would be better. We'll see

Nov 17, 2017
Because WII U was a niche console. Switch has a bigger and more varied audience of which I imagine alot would be turned off by the game. Xenoblade X is great and it is sad if it never rereleases on switch but a sequel that improves on everything would be better. We'll see
I think if anything it will help the game. The Wii U was not a good console for JRPGs. The Switch only has more people who would like the game.

I really don't think X is as inaccessible as you're making it seem. There's complexity and it doesn't hold your hand but enjoying it on a base level isn't that complex and it isn't hard to appeal with a giant open world and mechs.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
tumblr_o0vvy95PF71szccnuo1_1280.jpg

This was my favourite skell
THICC with 2 CC's

Such a cool city visually. Realistic modern-ish town with future stuff surrounding it, in the middle of an alien planet.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having played XBX at launch I definitely saw MonolithSoft's influence when I picked up BotW

Does anyone else feel Xenoblade in general really opened the doors on the "expansive fantasy world" level design?
I feel like I saw more and more interesting things after those games kept upping their ante.

this game was so gif-able. especially compared to the other 2 games

a billion percent agreed

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I wanted to love this game... but the characters and writing was SOOOO blech. I will definitely give it another go down the line again, especially because of how much I loved XC/XC2, but I'm in no particular hurry.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Regarding porting the game, I remember using the autorun feature to skip Sylvallum and get to Cauldros simply by swimming. In the meanwhile I just checked on the gamepad how I had placed the mining drones around the map and looked at some other stuff around with the gamepad, since it took them a lot to get there. I just did it because I could, of course, but it was awesome to avoid the normal route, and doing that side stuff at the same time made it less boring.

I think that's one of the few instances when having the second screen provided an unique gameplay: multitasking. it was the same on Pikmin 3, really. Does this mean they shouldn't do it? Absolutely not, but it's interesting to think about it.

The game also needed some QOL improvements regarding the side characters: There really should have been some markers to know where they were, and an option to call them quickly at the barracks.

Aug 12, 2019

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to argue. More people trying it is only a good thing and the Wii U was so niche and not known as a particularly good RPG console, whereas the Switch is the opposite. The Switch brings in tons of JRPG fans and that sounds the perfect audience for Xenoblade Chronicles X to do better than it originally did.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm really confused as to what you're trying to argue. More people trying it is only a good thing and the Wii U was so niche and not known as a particularly good RPG console, whereas the Switch is the opposite. The Switch brings in tons of JRPG fans and that sounds the perfect audience for Xenoblade Chronicles X to do better than it originally did.
It matters not for us but it matters for monolith soft. They're finally after years getting the attention they deserve. It isnt strange that they are remaking their most well made and proud project. They are going up from here and after xenoblade remake their next project has to be at least on par to that again. Xenoblade X while most ambitious simply isnt a game for everyone. You know this, I know this and they most definitely know this.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes another topic of the best Xenoblade!

You're not making sense. How would X on the Switch sell worse than on the Wii U?

Aug 12, 2019
It matters not for us but it matters for monolith soft. They're finally after years getting the attention they deserve. It isnt strange that they are remaking their most well made and proud project. They are going up from here and after xenoblade remake their next project has to be at least on par to that again. Xenoblade X while most ambitious simply isnt a game for everyone. You know this, I know this and they most definitely know this.

I'm still seriously confused. Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't some bad game or even a mediocre one by any metric. It's generally well praised and held as one of the Wii U's best games. Yes, it's very different from mainline Xenoblade Chronicles and focuses less on story than those titles... but it's always been a pseudo spin-off and has been marketed as such. People new to Xenoblade through Switch would only want to give this game a chance!

It's not for everyone doesn't really matter. Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2, and Torna aren't games for everyone either and it's a little insane to suggest that they are to be honest. They're all massive open-world (-ish) JRPG with deep combat mechanics and varying features from title to title. There's no reason to treat X all that differently.

Plus, Nintendo and Monolith Soft only really stand to gain from the process unless porting it is really that expensive (and then nobody buys it, but every single Wii U port has sold better than the original title, and I have no doubt that would hold with X).

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
best world and best traversal and best soundtrack in a xenoblade game
don't expect to fly anytime soon

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
best world and best traversal and best soundtrack in a xenoblade game
don't expect to fly anytime soon
It depends on how you play. You can rush the story and fly pretty damn quickly if you want to. I...did the exact opposite and only got flying when I was about done with my time in the game, exploring almost everything humanly possible on foot.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It depends on how you play. You can rush the story and fly pretty damn quickly if you want to. I...did the exact opposite and only got flying when I was about done with my time in the game, exploring almost everything humanly possible on foot.
sure... but it's not in the first 60 % of the story is all I mean

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
The game was quite a looker, but it didn't hook me nearly as much as XB1 or XB2 or Torna did, hence why it's the only Xenoblade I didn't end up finishing. I may give it another go at some point, but I just didn't vibe with the characters much, other than Elma. But such a huge, visually stunning game running on Wii U was pretty nuts, even if the pop-in was pretty ridiculous and you can find a lot of areas where they cut corners.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the OP now joins our team of people who really want a Xenoblade X port on Switch and for Elma to be playable in Smash. ( I still have hope damn it!)

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Does anyone else feel Xenoblade in general really opened the doors on the "expansive fantasy world" level design?
I feel like I saw more and more interesting things after those games kept upping their ante.
I sure hope so. Don't play many open world games to answer your question with any confidence, but I love how Xenoblade's worlds are designed. You'll see a mountain and try to climb it, and as you make your way up it the traversable parts kind of naturally show up and it doesn't feel like "a dev put this here to guide the player". It's not a path. It just feels like you're guiding yourself up a mountain. Hard for me to explain haha but I love it.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
I really love X, I think the world is such a wonderful exploratory experience. However, I feel that the writing and narrative are very poorly done. That coupled with a bad user interface holds back an otherwise exceptional game.

Nov 17, 2017
Such a cool city visually. Realistic modern-ish town with future stuff surrounding it, in the middle of an alien planet.
One of my favorite things about NLA. Standing in a backyard with a pool in what looks like a suburban American neighborhood but then you turn the camera and there's a huge metal wall and the gigantic, out-of-this-world looking mountain that is Talon Peak peering over the edge and looming over the city.

Even cooler when you can hop into your skell and seamlessly fly over that wall, over the rainbow and see the glorious sights.

Xenoblade 1 and 2 also aren't for everyone. Especially 2. Xenoblade X is just as good a game as Xenoblade 1 (I think it's much better), it's just not the same type of game. To say it would not have a good amount of appeal to people on Switch, especially compared to the Wii U is crazy. The Switch has a bunch of JRPGs now so X would fit perfectly. The Wii U had X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and... what? If anything Wii U users were more used to games like Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc. and X was the odd game of the bunch. I swear, every time X comes up people are being downers about seeing it again. Like either Monolith Soft secretly hates the game and wants to forget it or no one actually liked it or it would sell bad for reasons or it's impossible to port.

I sure hope so. Don't play many open world games to answer your question with any confidence, but I love how Xenoblade's worlds are designed. You'll see a mountain and try to climb it, and as you make your way up it the traversable parts kind of naturally show up and it doesn't feel like "a dev put this here to guide the player". It's not a path. It just feels like you're guiding yourself up a mountain. Hard for me to explain haha but I love it.
X was the best at this. 1 and 2 still have some pretty restrictive limits on where you can and can't traverse where as X was like "You wanna run straight up that 80 degree mountain completely disregarding the laws of physics? GO FOR IT!"

I remember seeing people get to places that you weren't supposed to be able to reach before getting a skell or the flight pack just by jumping on the right bits of terrain and slowly making their way up. I loved doing similar things myself to avoid high level enemies.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing people get to places that you weren't supposed to be able to reach before getting a skell or the flight pack just by jumping on the right bits of terrain and slowly making their way up. I loved doing similar things myself to avoid high level enemies.
One of the best dumb things to do in the game was exactly this. Amazing to get a running start to then jump on some pebble in order to jump again sideways to access an area you should only be able to reach with a skell.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Guys, I'm :

The team that made this basically developed the open world in BotW so there's why you're so drawn to it. I think BotW does freedom of options and choice better but this game outdoes it in landscape architecture and sense of scale. What you'll be doing for most of the game is completely generic "Kill 10 enemies" type goals but somehow I willingly did so because there's a real sense of mystery to the world, and the side quests actually have great narrative impact sometimes, and I guess the game just sold me on the fantasy of being these explorers and soldiers of a crashlanded colony in a truly alien world.

It's funny, I actually think Mass Effect Andromeda lifted several ideas from the premise of X, or maybe both just go by extremely common sci-fi tropes. You crashland after losing your original home with plans not going as expected and are tasked with putting the pieces back together by exploring and scavenging the world, and over the course of the game you gradually see growth and change to the central hub based on quests you complete, and you spend a lot of time with companions that have their own series of story missions.

Nov 17, 2017
One of the best dumb things to do in the game was exactly this. Amazing to get a running start to then jump on some pebble in order to jump again sideways to access an area you should only be able to reach with a skell.
Yeah, there's this whole pathway you're supposed to take during Chapter 6 (I think) that has you going along a cliffside and a cave but you can skip the whole thing with some well placed super jumps.

It's also crazy how easily you can jump over enemies and their detection ranges. Like the path to the top waterfall in Primordia is a narrow bridge guarded by 2 level 40 enemies. Yet you can get there before even stepping foot in NLA by just leaping over their heads. The movement in this game was so fun. I was really disappointed when they slowed it back down for 2.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's funny, I actually think Mass Effect Andromeda lifted several ideas from the premise of X, or maybe both just go by extremely common sci-fi tropes. You crashland after losing your original home with plans not going as expected and are tasked with putting the pieces back together by exploring and scavenging the world, and over the course of the game you gradually see growth and change to the central hub based on quests you complete, and you spend a lot of time with companions that have their own series of story missions.
The first half of that is just Battlestar Galactica btw:)

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still think that Xenoblade Chronicles X has the most impressive open-world environments of any videogame.

I know that phrase has been memed to death, but In X I actually felt like I was exploring an alien planet.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The first half of that is just Battlestar Galactica btw:)
I see, but the resemblence is still closer to Andromeda and Xenoblade because both games are about settling down as a colony and have a central hub where things are relatively calm and the game objective directly influences the expansion and growth of that place.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm :

n2Mxyyv.gif