• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the main plot is barebones and obviously unfinished, the side stories - the affinity missions and the sprawling web of sidequests that open up as you recruit more alien races into the city - are worthwhile, with some being quite good.

This right here. One of the best story expanding side quests in any game I've ever played. I want to run through this again...on Switch.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
XcX is kind of amazing, it's the only Xenoblade game I haven't finished (too much grinding IMO, bad main story) but it does the "alien exploration" thing really really well, and it's has a incredible and ambitious world to explore.

Even if I'd prefer a new series or even Xc3 from Monolith, I wouldn't mind at all if they try again the same style with a sequel.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Way better than the main story, and the main story isn't even that bad.
Thats the thing i think that the true story of XCX is the colonizaton and settlement of the human race in a new planet, and that is done throught the social quests

The main story the way i see is just there to set the stage for a potential sequel. Specially when new social quests show up only after the final boss. People might disagree, but i think that this game's approach on story was misunderstood.

You are not the chosen one with a team of special people saving the world, but an important part of a bigger thing that involves everyone else. Thats why the online component fits so well imo.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The world building is absolute madness and it's so damn good. But the story and that cliffhanger were something else. I really hope we'll get a sequel some day. I need answers!

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright I'm a few days into this now and it's a mixed bag. I have to say the exploration is rad but as predicted the story is meh and the side quests plots are interesting but very repetitive. I don't regret the purchase but I may never finish the game because I don't find myself thinking "man I can't wait to get home and play this!" Which is usually the case when a game captivates me

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Alright I'm a few days into this now and it's a mixed bag. I have to say the exploration is rad but as predicted the story is meh and the side quests plots are interesting but very repetitive. I don't regret the purchase but I may never finish the game because I don't find myself thinking "man I can't wait to get home and play this!" Which is usually the case when a game captivates me
it may take a few chapters to grab you
It was that way for me
The story won't be the thing to really hook you ...
but filling out the map
Exploring
setting up mining facilities and getting an awesome skell all came into focus and particularly the part where you just run around in this world is fantastic.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished it because i was like 8 levels under the required number for the next mission, such a silly design choice

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Some of my Miiverse screenshots which I managed to save before they shut down the service. 1st and 5th pics are my endgame Skell squad.
yfvApAv.jpg

V9fizzN.jpg

CgtdAJ7.jpg

uZx9m95.jpg

4ud3rgl.jpg

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

The story begins to develop in Chapter 4. The first three chapters is mainly tutorials.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you. There's a good game in there somewhere. But it makes you jump through too many hoops to progress the story.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite game of all time. The joy of moving through the world and exploring was wonderful on foot on in Skell. I love the custom character. I desperately need a sequel.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
More than three years and a half since I finished the main story (and a year and a half since I last played it), I still crave this game every now and then. Right now I'm feeling the urge to hop into my Skell and roam the world of Mira again…

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
One of the most impressive game worlds out there. Really fun to run around and explore. Sadly I hated the story and enemy designs so much that I never got more than 30 hours in

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Thats the thing i think that the true story of XCX is the colonizaton and settlement of the human race in a new planet, and that is done throught the social quests

The main story the way i see is just there to set the stage for a potential sequel. Specially when new social quests show up only after the final boss. People might disagree, but i think that this game's approach on story was misunderstood.

You are not the chosen one with a team of special people saving the world, but an important part of a bigger thing that involves everyone else. Thats why the online component fits so well imo.
I just saw this comment and I agree with you 100%

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game did scale and verticality so damn well. and the skybox is so damn good. probably one of my favorite skyboxes

13087.gif

1242854536791972198.gif

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
More thoughts from last night:

This feels like Mass Effect Andromeda, or Vice Versa I guess since it was out first. Also, having "beaten" anthem and seeing the Skells here...anthem only wishes it was this good in terms of mission structure and flying robots lol.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017

The side quests get better and much more interesting as you add more and more residents to NLA. I think the Normal Missions associated with this start popping up around Chapter 5 so definitely keep an eye out for them!

Nov 17, 2017
I love how you'll do a sidequest in this game that will seem pretty self-contained and a one-off side story but then a little later you'll find it actually wraps itself into another side quest and soon there's basically this B plot going on throughout the entire game. You meet a bunch of different characters with their own backstories and character development - some who even feel more developed than some main characters. Without spoiling it, it was really surprising when a bunch of different sidequests I did ended up culminating in this final encounter which felt like it could be the final boss of its own game. And all of this is stuff you could choose to skip.

I agree with you. There's a good game in there somewhere. But it makes you jump through too many hoops to progress the story.
That's really the problem. If you're playing the game to "progress the story" you're going at it the wrong way. The game isn't made to be like the other Xenoblade where your motivation to play is to reach the next cutscene and see the plot develop.

There is a good game there. The good game is literally front and center. It doesn't make you jump through hoops to progress the story as much as it encourages you to play the game and enjoy the game (exploration, customization, side quests, combat, world building). There's no barrier to that stuff, that is the game. When you start playing the game like "Ok how do I proceed to the next story mission as quickly as possible", that's when you miss out on what makes the game fun and I feel that's where most people who clash with X end up having that happen. You can't really play X like 1 or 2. The design philosophy is very different.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Regarding the game's structure/pacing and "hoops" I was okay with the format and the grindy nature of it, but I played it after MiiVerse had closed which dampens the intent which was to have more of a social connection in the game, and that's my big grief with it. While I didn't want an MMO I wanted something with more of a sense of other players taking part in the same world as you, scavenging in the wilds, all contributing to the growth of NLA.

I would love if it became a lowkey shared-world RPG if they made a sequel. Not like Destiny with raids and shit like that, but just randoms being spawned in when you're out in the wilds and doing the fetch quests, and maybe a co-operative system that gives you unique perks and loot, so it could walk a fine balance between online and offline play.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I disliked about XB2 was it's lack of exploration. There wasn't really much to explore compared to XB1 or X. X is the one with the best exploration of them all. Try to do it without looking things up. Makes for a lot of fun.