• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Would have gotten it a long time ago if the physical PS4 version had ever dropped in price instead of increased haha

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I just finished Octopath and don't have access to my PS4. Is this game decent on switch? I loved memories of celceta on vita, that ost was amazing. That and I need something to kill time since I burnt out on smash and Disgaea.
Worth it or just wait for a better PS4 version when I get back to the States?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Unkindled is speaking the truth though, have you forgotten the underground temple of Dana's past? The whole point of the tree's modus?
Also don't put so much stock in the Ys Wiki, it is in a dreadful state which will require a lot of work with only one person actively working on it right now, categorising things itself already is a nightmare.
I did also you are telling me I am contradicting, I need to know what it is officially cause this is turning word to mouth speak.
This literally lines up with what I remember
Only a few select individuals among the Eternians know the true purpose of the Great Tree of Origins, to foster evolution within all living creatures. The Eternians themselves were originally Saurians who received the blessing of evolution from the Great Tree. The principle behind this evolution is Selection and Rejection: the Great Tree periodically instigates a Lacrimosa, an enormous cataclysm which wipes out all but one species on earth, with the survivors receiving the blessings of evolution. Each Lacrimosa selects the one brightest soul of its time to become an immortal Warden of Evolution, which are to observe and oversee the process of evolution and the Great Tree of Origins.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
This literally lines up with what I remember
Only a few select individuals among the Eternians know the true purpose of the Great Tree of Origins, to foster evolution within all living creatures. The Eternians themselves were originally Saurians who received the blessing of evolution from the Great Tree. The principle behind this evolution is Selection and Rejection: the Great Tree periodically instigates a Lacrimosa, an enormous cataclysm which wipes out all but one species on earth, with the survivors receiving the blessings of evolution. Each Lacrimosa selects the one brightest soul of its time to become an immortal Warden of Evolution, which are to observe and oversee the process of evolution and the Great Tree of Origins.
Yes and that's not fully true statement.
The first Eternian king who established the capital, the King of Light or whatever, was the first Eternian who learned how to control Essence... by meditating under the Tree of Origins . Basically, Essence was the special power/evolution the Tree of Origins granted the Eternians. It doesn't have anything to do with saurians being related to Eternians as a species.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and that's not fully true statement.
The first Eternian king who established the capital, the King of Light or whatever, was the first Eternian who learned how to control Essence... by meditating under the Tree of Origins . Basically, Essence was the special power/evolution the Tree of Origins granted the Eternians. It doesn't have anything to do with saurians being related to Eternians as a species.
Yeah Io the first maiden just turns into a dragon for lulz

No where in the game does it state they didn't evo from surians/Primordials the temple just tells of the tree's true nature, the founding, and how they got essence.

the game goes out of its way for the whole meteor -> ice age thing killing them after they lost essence to keep warm

Warm blooded species wouldn't have gotten insta wiped like they did. They completely died in a few weeks

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Octopath and don't have access to my PS4. Is this game decent on switch? I loved memories of celceta on vita, that ost was amazing. That and I need something to kill time since I burnt out on smash and Disgaea.

i only played it handheld mode, but there's some dynamic resolution stuff going on while the game tries to stick to 30fps as much as it can. for the most part it's okay, but it can get to be pretty blurry whenever it dips to 360p or something. for whatever reason it's especially noticeable in the towns, and the resolution will pop between 720p or 480p and something lower within a second or two, creating a weird flickering effect. other than that, it's based off the ps4 version, and there weren't any bugs that i encountered. if you're not planning on playing the handheld version at all, the ps4 version is the way to go. the switch version includes all the dlc costumes, but no additional gameplay scenarios or anything like that.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I basically 100%'d the game on Switch so it's definitely fine there. Obviously PS4/PC offer a better experience due to a higher framerate/resolution, but the Switch version is definitely playable.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Is more playable than Celceta on Vita if that helps with something

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah Io the first maiden just turns into a dragon for lulz

No where in the game does it state they didn't evo from surians/Primordials the temple just tells of the tree's true nature, the founding, and how they got essence.

the game goes out of its way for the whole meteor -> ice age thing killing them after they lost essence to keep warm

Warm blooded species wouldn't have gotten insta wiped like they did. They completely died in a few weeks
That wiki isn't reliable , and wrong on other things than this. You can stick with your theory of primordial evolved to eternians. I stated that isn't true. let's move on.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Which platform were you playing on? Ideally I want to get it on Switch for the portability, but not if it's an inferior experience compared to PS4/PC.
Gameplay wise it is okay on Switch. It runs at 30 FPS so the PS4 is obviously better at 60 FPS but that is kind of a given. What really pushes me towards telling you the PS4 version is the one to get is the terrible terrible resolution. It gets really bad often. The game is damn near unplayable on a TV because of this and it is even noticeable on portable (less so but still very noticeable). The only thing that would push me to say Switch is that it is available at a reasonable price physically while the PS4 version is not.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Is more playable than Celceta on Vita if that helps with something
Ok this helps, I didn't mind memories of celceta at all, so this is good.
i only played it handheld mode, but there's some dynamic resolution stuff going on while the game tries to stick to 30fps as much as it can. for the most part it's okay, but it can get to be pretty blurry whenever it dips to 360p or something. for whatever reason it's especially noticeable in the towns, and the resolution will pop between 720p or 480p and something lower within a second or two, creating a weird flickering effect. other than that, it's based off the ps4 version, and there weren't any bugs that i encountered. if you're not planning on playing the handheld version at all, the ps4 version is the way to go. the switch version includes all the dlc costumes, but no additional gameplay scenarios or anything like that.
I'd mainly play this in handheld mode, good to know about the dynamic res though.
I basically 100%'d the game on Switch so it's definitely fine there. Obviously PS4/PC offer a better experience due to a higher framerate/resolution, but the Switch version is definitely playable.
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll get this. I'm gonna have a long trip soon so it'll be good for that plane ride.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Ys Seven was so good. better than MoC. I have yet to play 8. is it on xbox one?
and vita vs switch?

it's not on xbox. the switch version is based on the ps4 version, which had improved loading areas and extra gameplay scenarios over the original vita release.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I also just played through this game, I finished it on Friday after playing through roughly the final 10 hours in one sitting. Brilliant game, I loved pretty much everything about it. I got the true ending first time, it helps that I read there's a true ending and saw the requirements, but I think I would have got it anyway since I did almost all the side quests (which is quite rare for me as well, OP).

9/10 game for me, would recommend to all who like action RPGs. I bought 4 more older Ys games on steam after loving it so much, I hope I enjoy my time with those as well.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I also just played through this game, I finished it on Friday after playing through roughly the final 10 hours in one sitting. Brilliant game, I loved pretty much everything about it. I got the true ending first time, it helps that I read there's a true ending and saw the requirements, but I think I would have got it anyway since I did almost all the side quests (which is quite rare for me as well, OP).

9/10 game for me, would recommend to all who like action RPGs. I bought 4 more older Ys games on steam after loving it so much, I hope I enjoy my time with those as well.

Glad that you enjoyed. Did you play the post game dungeon?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I plan on playing it later this year.

Still, have Dragon Quest 11 and Tales of Vesperia in the JRPG department.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's pretty good, but probably my least favorite rpg on Switch. Actually, not true, it's much better than Lost Sphear.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Was looking at this game for PS4 and even used it's over $60. New is like $100+. Is this a super rare game or something?

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up for Switch last year and have plans to take it for long drives and flights on some upcoming trips. How's it hold up in handheld mode? Run decently? Easy to see all of the action? Battery killer?

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That wiki isn't reliable , and wrong on other things than this. You can stick with your theory of primordial evolved to eternians. I stated that isn't true. let's move on.
I don't know where you got that bit of the story from... but certainly not in game.
At no point does the game says that they are not descended from saurian Primordials. They evolved before they knew of the Great Tree, and yeah they look like humans. But they're not a species of "giants" or whatever, they're just slightly bigger and lankier in general.
The Great Tree didn't lie about anything, it's just started a Lacrimosa that wiped out the Eternians, like it did to other species before. It's an obvious metaphor for extinction events, and Eternians are the on-the-nose avatars of dinosaurs in the real world, meteor included.
Anyway, cool game in general, great combat and soundtrack. The exploration is real nice, a big upgrade from Ys 7 and Celceta, which are both pretty straightforward.
But it is a bit long and wordy at times, and it is not helped by the translation.
The only major issue would be the defense missions, they're bad, and there is a ton of them... of course, most are optional. But it's definitely a game that suffers from unnecessary padding.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Ys VIII is phenomenal. I wasn't a fan of where the story went but the gameplay and the exploration are great. Some bosses were a bit clunky and the fact that some of the enemies could stun you out of nowhere is a shame though.

I really hope Falcom takes inspiration from Dana's dungeon for Ys IX though, it was pretty excellent imo.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up for Switch last year and have plans to take it for long drives and flights on some upcoming trips. How's it hold up in handheld mode? Run decently? Easy to see all of the action? Battery killer?
Not sure about the battery because I haven't paid attention but portable mode holds up okay. Try to stretch it on a 4k UHD TV and it will look terrible though. I hope the Switch port of YS IX is better. There is no acceptable reason for a game that looks like this to have issues hitting a good resolution.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts:

1. The way the mechanics are rolled out basically where a new dynamic is added to the game every hour is very well done keeping things constantly fresh. This goes on like 30 hours into the game.

2. Battles can be simple button mashes but if you play on hard, there is a lot of nuance and strategy to the point where some fights feel very Souls-esque.

3. I wonder if Dana had a large bust like Pyra if there would be as much controversy on fanservice as XBC2 had.

4. The characters are ok and the story is alright, picking up in the latter act of the game, however there is a strech between chapter 3-4 where things really feel pretty mundane.

5. A great "beginner" jrpg, I think on an easy setting this is a great entry title for the genre.

6. The music is fantastic- like some of the best violin and electric guitar in a soundtrack.

7. The game still feels very old, like a PS2 era creation, but the exploration and battle makes up for it.