• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this on Netflix for the first time over the weekend and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind ever since. I went in only knowing about The Time Warp and maybe having heard a few of the other songs on (of all things) a tribute episode of Glee.

First off, it isn't actually a very good movie, perhaps deliberately. Plot-wise, it's nonsensical and the narrative swerved more randomly than a rogue dodgem car. It starts as a typical "couple's car breaks down near a spooky haunted house" B movie, but by the end, it has breezed through bits of Frankenstein, Dracula and ends up on Plan 9 From Outer Space where the bad guys are aliens, randomly. It ends with Frank-N-Furter dying to laser guns and Rocky re-enacting the ending of King Kong with Frank's lifeless body in his arms. Frank was abusive toward his creation/lover and Rocky cheated on him with Janet, but it's still presented as a romantic tragedy.

Nobody's motivations (especially Frank, Riff Raff and Magenta) make any sense and it's not even clear what the overall message is supposed to be. Is it meant to force the viewer to confront hypocritical social mores of the late 1960s / early 1970s or serve as a cautionary tale? Is it meant to celebrate or decry decadence? Also, the protagonists seemingly forget that Frank-N-Furter straight up murdered someone right in front of them, and feel sympathy towards him at the end.

Susan Sarandon is wonderful in this, as is Tim Curry, who hams it up in makeup, a corset and fishnet stockings. Even Meatloaf (seriously) puts in work, even if his character made no sense whatsoever.

This isn't to say that it wasn't a significant piece of work. The whole time I was watching, I couldn't tear my eyes away, despite how confusing it all was. The songs were catchy, the editing jarring and the whole thing had a look that was distinctive and has since become iconic.

I imagined I was watching a movie made in the late 1980s, which made it all the more surprising when I found out it had been made in 1973. Clearly it was ahead of its time and had some influence on films made after it. I later found out that it drew its inspiration from classic horror and sci fi, so in many ways it was to rock musicals what Castlevania was to video games.

Finally it surprised me just how much LGBTQ+ themes figured into the story and characters. Frank-N-Furter is probably not the best example of representation, being both a murderer and sex pest (he seduced both Janet and Brad under false pretences after crawling into bed with each in turn). Still, the rest of the characters run the gamut - Rocky, Magenta and Danny are all gay or bisexual and at the very least the conventioneers engage in a bit of cross dressing. Both Brad and Janet however discover throughout the course of their stories that they are bisexual and none of this is displayed in any kind of negative light, which I can only imagine was highly unusual (and probably scandalous) at the time of release.

All in all, it's a movie choc full of sexual themes while at the same time being very light on any actual nudity. The whole thing seems like it would have been very risqué for its time, or at least what I imagine the early 1970s to be like. I suppose the period that brought us Grease and Deep Throat might have been a little less conservative than that, but this was about as far removed from Father Knows Best as The Matrix is to us today, so to some section of the populace, this would have looked properly obscene.

What are your thoughts? Have you ever done the full theatre experience with the audience cosplaying and pantomiming the movie? Is it as important or influential as all that? Is it a weird anomaly or was it the Citizen Kane of drag queen rock opera?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Fascinating... I can't imagine watching it anywhere but in a crowded room full of other people who have already seen it.
You're now the only person I've ever met who approached watching it as if they were watching a normal movie.

I am curious to see how many other people now spring up to say they're only seeing it for the first time recently. I'm dying of antici

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
It is pure gold, it took a while to find an audence as it flopped hard but the big city midnight showings saved it.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
If you ever have a chance, go see the live musical. So much better with the audience participation.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You gotta see a live production somewhere or a film screening, a large part of the experience is the heckling, dancing and various ritualistic actions.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating... I can't imagine watching it anywhere but in a crowded room full of other people who have already seen it.
You're now the only person I've ever met who approached watching it as if they were watching a normal movie.

I am curious to see how many other people now spring up to say they're only seeing it for the first time recently. I'm dying of antici
While not recent, I watched this as a movie while I was in high school in the late 2000s. The only things I knew about it was the Me First and the Gimme Gimmies' cover of Science Fiction Double Feature and the references in Venture Bros. I knew it was a rock opera and that was about it. I enjoyed it as a teen and I catch it about one every year or two and during Halloween I tend to listen to the soundtrack.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I recently watched a live audience showing of the movie with actors. It was glorious. Almost got run over by a female Rocky Horror too.

artworks-000101490353-5w5kbp-t500x500.jpg

I won't go over the ritual as it's best if you go into it unprepared.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Watch it live with others. You'll probably be covered with flour in the end, like I was in the Waldbühne in Berlin, but what an experience.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It has the best lyrics ever

I'm just a sweet transvestite
From transexual
Transylvaniaaaa-a-aa

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
FRANNNNKKK NNNNNNN FURRRTTTEEERRRR
IIIIITTTTT'SSSSS ALLLLLLLL OOOOOOVVVERRR
YOUR MISSION IS A FAILURE
YOUR LIFESTYLE'S TOO EXXXXTTRREEEEAAAME

Rose Tint My World is the best song.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
FRANNNNKKK NNNNNNN FURRRTTTEEERRRR
IIIIITTTTT'SSSSS ALLLLLLLL OOOOOOVVVERRR
YOUR MISSION IS A FAILURE
YOUR LIFESTYLE'S TOO EXXXXTTRREEEEAAAME

Rose Tint My World is the best song.
I love that bit.

Someone made a compilation of this bit from various productions, and it is great:

PREPARE THE TRANSIT BEEEEEEAAAAAM

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Is that all you had to feel about the musical aspects of the film?

I don't mean that in an accusatory way, I'm curios as you are a first time viewer.
I certainly felt that the jump cuts and close ups were part of the surreal experience and the music itself is really great, but there seemed little point in some of the songs in the narrative. Time Warp especially seemed to only be there for a bit of fun, as did Meatloaf's song, but it didn't move the story along like Touch Me or Frank's intro song did.

Musically though the songs were great.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
You should go see it live. I've been a number of times. Only dressed up the once though, for one of the special anniversary shows.

Movie is amazing as far as I'm concerned.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I certainly felt that the jump cuts and close ups were part of the surreal experience and the music itself is really great, but there seemed little point in some of the songs in the narrative. Time Warp especially seemed to only be there for a bit of fun, as did Meatloaf's song, but it didn't move the story along like Touch Me or Frank's intro song did.

Musically though the songs were great.
Not gonna lie, the editing and direction is really unusual.

Really weird fact: The cinematographer went on to do... THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
You should go see it live. I've been a number of times. Only dressed up the once though, for one of the special anniversary shows.

Movie is amazing as far as I'm concerned.
Who did you dress as?

I went once as Janet, I don't think I've seen another bloke dress as Janet.

Magenta, Riff Raff and Frankenfurter seem to be the standout favourites to dress as.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Not gonna lie, the editing and direction is really unusual.

Really weird fact: The cinematographer went on to do... THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Who did you dress as?

I went once as Janet, I don't think I've seen another bloke dress as Janet.

Magenta, Riff Raff and Frankenfurter seem to be the standout favourites to dress as.

A fusion of Columbia and frank. Had never wore high heels before and after walking round London in them I never did again.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been twice (once in costume) to the musical at the behest of my girlfriend. Frank is currently played by Duncan from Blue in the UK.

Watching it in Liverpool on a Friday night was something, the heckling was top notch.

It's a good old lark and the songs are completely stuck in my head now. It's a very infectious show can see why people go a zillion times

UND I DID

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finally it surprised me just how much LGBTQ+ themes figured into the story and characters. Frank-N-Furter is probably not the best example of representation, being both a murderer and sex pest (he seduced both Janet and Brad under false pretences after crawling into bed with each in turn). Still, the rest of the characters run the gamut - Rocky, Magenta and Danny are all gay or bisexual and at the very least the conventioneers engage in a bit of cross dressing. Both Brad and Janet however discover throughout the course of their stories that they are bisexual and none of this is displayed in any kind of negative light, which I can only imagine was highly unusual (and probably scandalous) at the time of release.

I'm pretty that's called Rape, not seducing.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's one of the most entertaining and fun movies to watch and the songs are great. It's the first musical I liked back when I was determined to dislike all musicals basically. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
First time I watched RHPC I was probably around 18/19 years old, and it was in my room, on my computer screen. I treated it as if I was watching a normal movie at first, except I knew people in my social circles loved it and thought of it being an iconic movie, I just didn't know why.

I immediately loved it, downloaded the OST and learned the songs by heart. It was a happy revelation to me, and I was obsessed with it the next few weeks that followed. I've rewatched it a couple times since then, and when I was around 19/20 years old, I went to see RHPC twice in Studio Galande, a Parisian independent movie theater, that has been screening RHPC every Friday and Saturday nights for over 40 years now, with a live amateur cast, with all the traditions attached to it (rice, water, waterproof coat, etc). Each time I went with friends, and it was an amazing experience, having fun, singing the songs along the movie and the amateur live cast reenacting the movie in front of it.

RHPC has had a huge impact on me, one of the first movie allowing me to figure out my latent bisexuality slowly but surely. It's such a huge movie for queers because it's the one that often allow us to see us in a positive and fun way, and the sense of community around it is just amazing. It's not a good movie, for sure, but it's an amazing movie that can be defined by "it's so bad it's good". Tim Curry is a legend, and everybody in the cast is just overall great.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Also I've seen RHPS live almost a hundred times so biased but it's always fun live.

But OP you nailed it, it's a fun weird film even without the live additions.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

...pation!

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains

Goosebumps watching that! Haven't been to a showing in a couple of decades but used to go to one in London in the early 90's, amazing experience.

I imagined I was watching a movie made in the late 1980s, which made it all the more surprising when I found out it had been made in 1973. Clearly it was ahead of its time and had some influence on films made after it.
It was written as a stage production first by Englishman Richard O'Brien. UK popular media had a history of tongue in cheek overt sexuality and cross dressing, Benny Hill, the Carry On films, It Ain't Half Hot Mum etc. In fact the writer Richard O'Brien started out in Carry On. He also considers himself to be neither male or female but somewhere in the middle so it's a fair guess that he wrote this originally to explore the feelings and thoughts he was having at the time.

TRHPS is a very important work especially for the LGBT+ community. For many it would be the first time they had dressed in line with their actual gender identity in public. Shows became a meeting place for both members of the LGBT+ communities and those who openly supported them. On top of that it massively influenced Punk style through the 70's and onwards. It's cultural significance is often ignored and yet it may be one of the most important and ultimately influential movie pieces of the 20th century.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's the pelvic thruuuuuust
That really drives them insaaaaane

God, seeing it live really is an experience. Still an absolute blast at home too, but it's a whole 'nother level surrounded by screaming maniacs.

giphy.gif

I imagined I was watching a movie made in the late 1980s, which made it all the more surprising when I found out it had been made in 1973. Clearly it was ahead of its time and had some influence on films made after it. I later found out that it drew its inspiration from classic horror and sci fi, so in many ways it was to rock musicals what Castlevania was to video games.
I mean, it's a gender blender of a haunted house and Plan 9 From Queer Outer Space. It's fucking delightful.

It's a science fiction double feature after all!

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

A+

It's certainly all the things that the OP stated. One thing to consider is that is was a small-production play first, and is more Richard O'Brien (Riff Raff, also the author/songwriter) playing around with all those themes (and presumably his own sexual identity) than trying to make some magnum opus. It's not really supposed to make literal sense so much as thematic sense. And I think it does, spectacularly.

I've described it as a movie for anyone whose ever been confused or intimidated by their own sexual feelings, which I suppose includes an awful lot of people.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this at the movie well over a dozen time back in the 80s. It was an hour drive at midnight, so that was a big deal.

I never dressed for the showings, but in high school we staged three numbers for lip sync contest and I was Riff. Did Riff for Halloween once a few years later, too.

It's worth checking out the follow-up as well which is under-appreciated although, admittedly, not quite as memorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W9QGH3lFa0

I will stan for this until the end of time. I love Shock Treatment almost as much as Rocky. The songs aren't quite as great, but *almost*. And it was way ahead of it's time, anticipating reality TV and things like the Truman Show.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I've been twice (once in costume) to the musical at the behest of my girlfriend. Frank is currently played by Duncan from Blue in the UK.

Watching it in Liverpool on a Friday night was something, the heckling was top notch.

It's a good old lark and the songs are completely stuck in my head now. It's a very infectious show can see why people go a zillion times

UND I DID
I saw it for the first time on its last night in Liverpool the other week and it was good fuckin' time.

It did leave me wondering how much shorter the show must have been before it evolved all of the audience participation and actor responses!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Richard O'Brien is the voice of the dad in Phineas and Ferb, and every now and then they snuck in a reference.