CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
variety.com

How a Lucasfilm Exec’s Tweet Reopened the Wounds of ‘The Last Jedi’

Lucasfilm exec's tweet related to an emotional reaction to "The Mandalorian" exposes the delicate relationship between fans and the studio.
www.deseret.com

Lucasfilm executive Pablo Hidalgo apologizes for ‘Star Wars’ controversy, changes his Twitter account

Lucasfilm executive Pablo Hidalgo apologized for a recent ‘Star Wars’ controversy involving a YouTuber

To make a long story short; people thought he was attacking/making fun of a popular Star Wars youtuber for crying about Luke's display.

This entire situation was silly to me; I don't think it was a tasteful joke, but people jumped on him like an angry mob. And Star War theory has said some pretty questionable stuff himself.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was in poor taste to be fair, but the outrage around it was ridiculous tbh.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It is a little weird that someone so high up would blatantly make fun of their own fans for being passionate about it.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Seemed like Hidalgo was being sarcastic to the people mocking the YouTuber in the thread to me, but who knows?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard the story but my first reaction would be thinking he's making a reference to the original movies, the line Yoda says in one of the movies about how emotions are the path down to the dark side. A cheeky joke at Empire Strikes Back

It'd be like making a joke "just don't kiss your sister, ok" and then everyone getting angry about it

oh well we've known for a long time a lot of Star Wars fans are really weird

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It was a really weird tweet. Like even if you rolled your eyes at a guy crying about Star Wars, it's just so easy to... not tweet about it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
His tweet was in poor taste considering how LFL has rushed to support other fans mocked for crying at the sequel trilogy/RO trailers or scenes.

With that said, this is one hell of an overreaction.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It was a really weird tweet. Like even if you rolled your eyes at a guy crying about Star Wars, it's just so easy to... not tweet about it.
It was on his private Twitter, people on era comment on the dumbest shit all the time. I'd watch what I was saying way more if an angry mob was looking over my shoulder at all times, though. But I'm not so I shoot from the hip constantly.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really the first time Pablo has said some questionable shit either. He made a boomer welfare queen joke on twitter a while back too. I can't find it atm but maybe someone else can unless he deleted that as well lol.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
From what I gather Hidalgo's tweet about "sharing emotions" was in response to people asking his followers for screenshots of his private account.

Or was there another tweet?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even if you like Star Wars, is there a more toxic and petulant fanbase for ANYTHING?

*obviously not ALL Star Wars fans. Please don't hurt me, Star Wars fans.*

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
God the Star Wars fan base is one of the worst. I love Star Wars but it's literally a series of children's movies. Don't get so bent out of shape. That variety headline is hilarious.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really the first time Pablo has said some questionable shit either. He made a boomer welfare queen joke on twitter a while back too. I can't find it atm but maybe someone else can unless he deleted that as well lol.
He was making fun of racists there and not actually agreeing with them. He's Latino, one of the groups racists talk about being welfare queens.

Latinos can't even joke about racist shit said against them in private without white people on Twitter (Jenny Nicholson) trying to take them down.

Also, the reason he had to go private was cus he constantly got attacked by crazy Alt-right fans for being a "SJW", so it's doubly fucked to then accuse him of being racist.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
He was making fun of racists there and not actually agreeing with them. He's Latino, one of the groups racists talk about being welfare queens.

Latinos can't even joke about racist shit said against them in private without white people on Twitter (Jenny Nicholson) trying to take them down.
That's fair enough I just remember it stirring some shit there as well.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This should tell you everything about this 'outrage':

I know it shouldn't bother me, but I still hate it when cunt nuggets like this say "us the fans".

I'm a fan...you are not representing me you shit stain.

Also if you are a 'fan' of a franchise, but actually have hated it for a longer time then you loved it, maybe it is time to stop being a 'fan'

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The welfare joke was actually really clever and the whole "controversy" was Jenny Nicholson trying to paint him as making a racist joke.

It wasnt, he's Latino and directly affected by that kind of narrative. The intention (to mock how soulless the narrative is) was very clear (I'm latino)

This one however was in poor taste, but holy shit are people dumb

fans of any nerd media are more toxic than ever. giant fucking babies
It's always been this bad you just didn't notice.
6uEg9JD.jpg

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I remain convinced that YouTube channels that are centered around trying to make plot predictions do the most to poison the well and ensure that nobody can make something thought provoking within typical nerd properties.

When I try to dig into why they dislike TLJ, the people I know all have opinions about the story that can be traced back to these channels. Then it's an uphill battle trying to show them that they dislike the movie because it doesn't fit into what was hyped up into their heads, rather than because it's actually a bad movie.

That tweet response above says everything about the "outrage" over this.